Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12777272

Subject: "how do you respond when you see kids left in the car unattended?" Previous topic | Next topic
SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"how do you respond when you see kids left in the car unattended?"

I stopped to pick up some household items on the way home from work. The car I parked next two had unattended children in it. I wouldn't have even noticed if the toddled hadn't called out "hi" to me. I look at her - she is 3 or 4 years old. I see that the window is a quarter of the way down and that there is another child in the car a few years older but definitely younger than 10 yrs old. I check my phone - it is 82 degrees outside. I look toward the store. I sigh, and I go on in there and get what I need. I was only in there about 10 minutes. The car was gone when I came out.

I felt uncomfortable about moving on about my business, but I didn't want to over react. Nor did I really know how to react. I know if I was a parent I wouldn't have done that.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
generally nothing.
Apr 09th 2015
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The first thing that came to mind
Apr 09th 2015
puttin parents through the criminal justice system won't help those kids
Apr 10th 2015
I have seen it twice and both times I ask the kids if they need water
Apr 09th 2015
It is legal some places
Apr 09th 2015
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAz9yMwlfXI
Apr 09th 2015
i reminisce on the times my dad used to leave me and my sister in the
Apr 10th 2015
given the reply's in that other post, what would y'all do?
Apr 14th 2015
if it's something like a fast food restaurant/convenience store I'd
Apr 14th 2015
yup
Apr 14th 2015
Pretty Much
Apr 14th 2015
mind your biz & keep it moving
Apr 14th 2015
Prolly KIM depending on the conditions. Makes me think...
Apr 14th 2015
the eminem verse on forgot about Dre always comes to mind
Apr 14th 2015
People assume kids are such pussies these days.
Apr 14th 2015
Not my kids, not my problem.
Apr 14th 2015
Not my kids, not my problem.
Apr 14th 2015

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 06:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "generally nothing."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-09-15 06:46 PM by SoWhat

if anything i'd maybe stand by and keep an eye on the kids until someone claims the car.

now that i've worked on child endangerment cases i know i would NOT call the police in that situation, nor would i alert staff at the store - b/c they'd probably call the police.

putting the parents or other caretakers through the criminal justice system won't help those kids, most likely. and it will just cause the parents more drama than is necessary.

fuck you.

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 06:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The first thing that came to mind"
In response to Reply # 1

was the lady who left the kids in the car for the job interview and all the mess she has gone through since that day.

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 07:44 AM

6. "puttin parents through the criminal justice system won't help those kids"
In response to Reply # 1

that's where i'm at with it...

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 06:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I have seen it twice and both times I ask the kids if they need water"
In response to Reply # 0

both times the kids said they were fine. Both cars were parking under a tree. Both times I waited to see how long the parent/adult was going to be. My wife works at a baby store and she had a customer in her store that left her baby in the car sleeping while she shopped. The only reason she knew was because another customer came inside and told them to call the cops. Turns out her and her husband who was a sheriff parked right next to the car with a baby. On their way in to shop for their baby. They noticed the sleeping baby and he broke into the car and sent the wife in to call the police. This was last summer. Summers out here are brutal. August and September are 100-110 daily. The baby was dehydrated but fine. The lady was more pissed about people getting in her business than the well being of the baby. I remember a handful of times my brothers and I were left in the car. We were at least 10 years old. It was usually let me run inside to pay for the gas be right back. These days I wont even do that. People are stupid though.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 07:06 PM

4. "It is legal some places "
In response to Reply # 0

If the child is in plain sight.

I never see it. I see dogs though all the time.

I did see a baby in the grocery store with painful looking bright red feet ...

It was -20 outside. Part of me wanted to call child protective services.

Danny
Member since Mar 03rd 2006
1292 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 10:54 PM

5. "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAz9yMwlfXI"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAz9yMwlfXI

http://www.startower.co.uk
http://www.dannyswain.com

SHAstayhighalways
Member since Sep 03rd 2014
3696 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 08:00 AM

7. "i reminisce on the times my dad used to leave me and my sister in the"
In response to Reply # 0

car in the most brooklyny of brooklyn areas
he's a teacher but he's always kinda been a travel agent on the side
i say kinda bc he would just get friends and friends of friends together to go on trips
so that he could travel for free (lol)
and a lot of times he'd make stops to collect money and leave our ass in the car.
the furthest back i can remember is being like 4 or 5 and my older sister is 3 years older than me
he'd be like 'be right back' and we'd legit be waiting at least 20 minutes (what felt like hours as a child but thinking back it wasn't that long)

i say all of that to say depending on the age of the kids i don't think i'd do anything.
if they're helpless baby age and might die in the heat or something then yea
or if it was just one toddler chilling helplessly then maybe
but in the situation you encountered i'd K.I.M. and not even think twice about it.

www.royallegacy.org

For Real (Official Video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRoCPO8esE

SuiteLady
16194 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 08:16 AM

8. "given the reply's in that other post, what would y'all do?"
In response to Reply # 0

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 08:37 AM

9. "if it's something like a fast food restaurant/convenience store I'd "
In response to Reply # 0

likely do nothing.

But if it's something like a mall parking lot---I'd probably linger around and see if anyone came out in 10 mins or so.

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

labcoat
Member since Jun 15th 2006
14585 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "yup"
In response to Reply # 9

--------------
Daren, I'll never forget you
http://www.fayemurman.com/extras/magee/daren/

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:07 AM

12. "Pretty Much"
In response to Reply # 9

Especially if I see the hazards or the car running or some shit.

But if it's parked in a lot or something like that, to me that shows the parent might be in there a while.

I actually stayed in my car at a Walmart until the parent came out...soon as she came to her car I got out, and told her the situation. She thanked me so much for everything, and told me that she was only in Walmart to get something quick but the line got out of control.

Abdul Jabbar, Muggsy Malone you
I don't know what that means but you know what I meant when I told you (c) Sean Price

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 09:22 AM

11. "mind your biz & keep it moving"
In response to Reply # 0

unless the kids are passed out & its like 100 degrees & theres no store in sight...keep it moving

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:13 AM

13. "Prolly KIM depending on the conditions. Makes me think..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/free-range-family-again-in-spotlight-after-police-pick-up-kids-6-and-10/2015/04/13/30e2a2f4-e1f1-11e4-81ea-0649268f729e_story.html

how any of us made it through our youth. It doesn't mean that everything our parents did was right but I don't wanna be the person to put kids through unecessary shit like what's fouond in that article I swiped.

Atthat age, I was miles away from home on my bike and with my lil bro, cousins, and friends or riding to meet those same people. My mom left us in the car while she went into the bank, gas company, elec company, water company, grocery store, etc. We sat our asses in that car and followed the directions she gave us before she got out.

Don't talk to nobody!
Don't take nothing from nobody!
Don't open the doors!
Don't get out!

Kim Jong Trill
Member since Jan 31st 2012
548 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:17 AM

14. "the eminem verse on forgot about Dre always comes to mind "
In response to Reply # 0

Fuck your fort!

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:24 AM

15. "People assume kids are such pussies these days."
In response to Reply # 0

I can remember being left in a locked car for 1/2hr-1hr or so on a few occasions as a kid by my Mum... definitely at age 4, but probably before too... I mean, that was in Britain, so it was unlikely to get dangerously hot, but yeah... I counted up as high as I could and then she was back... what's the problem? It was locked. I had a bag of sweets and a drink. Nobody was about to steal me.

Stepping in to correct another human being's parenting rarely ends well.

))<>((
forever.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 07:19 PM

"Not my kids, not my problem."

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 07:19 PM

16. "Not my kids, not my problem."
In response to Reply # 0

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Lobby General Discussion topic #12777272 Previous topic | Next topic