Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12777067

Subject: "NYC Eviction Help: Part 3 (HELP!)" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NYC Eviction Help: Part 3 (HELP!)"

So peep this, I got the opportunity to flip my rent free situation into an upgraded apartment (that's actually decent) except with a dope rent. This move is an ultimate upgrade.

HOWEVER, this situation is still sticky, and I wanna pimp it to my benefit. I've found out that this new unit is actually rent stabilized, which the landlord has fully disclosed.

Now, I'm not familiar with the rent stabilization of apartments in NYC, but can't I fight to have the rent reduced even from what's agreed on a lease if he overcharges for it? (Which I think he is.)

Also, he is supposed to attach a rider with all the rent stabilizing stipulations, except he didn't, so I got him again potentially by the balls.

It's my thinking that I could flip this illegal free apartment into a dope stabilized apartment for the cheap AND with guaranteed lease renewals. Somebody PLEASE check my math on this so I can come allllll the way up.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
There are others who can better explain this
Apr 09th 2015
word, we shall see. I called and requested a rental history for the new ...
Apr 09th 2015
      riders don't have rental histories
Apr 09th 2015
           RE: riders don't have rental histories
Apr 09th 2015
check with teef to be certain
Apr 09th 2015
right, it's sticky indeed.
Apr 09th 2015
rent stabilized
Apr 09th 2015
^^yes you can totally negotiate for less rent
Apr 09th 2015
RE: rent stabilized
Apr 09th 2015
RE: NYC Eviction Help: Part 3 (HELP!)
Apr 09th 2015
RE: NYC Eviction Help: Part 3 (HELP!)
Apr 09th 2015
      subletting under rent stabilization isn't a guarantee
Apr 09th 2015
      ^^
Apr 09th 2015
      RE: subletting under rent stabilization isn't a guarantee
Apr 09th 2015
      “One of the owners, right outside the courtroom offered me $50,000,”
Apr 09th 2015
           lol how you think I got THIS apartment?
Apr 09th 2015
You greedy as hell.
Apr 09th 2015
LMAO. so are landlords tho
Apr 09th 2015
exactly *shrugs*
Apr 09th 2015
to be fair, this dude charged me like $30k
Apr 09th 2015

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "There are others who can better explain this"
In response to Reply # 0

There's only X amount of percentage a landlord is able to increase when there is a vacancy. Not sure if they can go below market value legally, but the landlord has to register that the apt is rent stableized and you will get an official looking letter from NYC disclosing its status (I got one for mine).

Teefus is the master at this.

Mr. ManC
11819 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "word, we shall see. I called and requested a rental history for the new ..."
In response to Reply # 1

I'm pretty sure I'm going to a rent in the triple digits, otherwise he would have attached the rider with the rental history in the lease he provided me.

This would be so awesome to make this happen.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:39 PM

8. "riders don't have rental histories"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Apr-09-15 04:40 PM by teefiveten

riders just have the terms of the stablization rules/law
which is why i say you don't have him by the balls

you need a signed rider to protect yourself.

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Mr. ManC
11819 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 06:21 PM

20. "RE: riders don't have rental histories"
In response to Reply # 8

Got you. I did request the rental history from the agency that governs it, and I think I'm sign the lease, move in, then on my court day come in with the rider like "what gives?"

We'll see how it plays out. I need to move this weekend.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:22 PM

2. "check with teef to be certain"
In response to Reply # 0

but there should be a rental history on the apt so you can check for that
if the rent did go up it might have been for a renovation
which is legal

definitely get the rider to know all of your options

but basically stabilization only means that rent goes up according to what the board stipulates and it only affects you every two years which is when your lease is up
(OPT FOR THE TWO YEARS NEVER LESS)

this is definitely a bit more stable of a situation
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Mr. ManC
11819 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:25 PM

4. "right, it's sticky indeed."
In response to Reply # 2

I mean no matter what, with the rent he currently is gonna charge, I'm good.

but if I could knock off like $400 a month, I'ma damn sure give it a shot.

and DEFINITELY opted for the 2 year lease.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:34 PM

5. "rent stabilized "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-09-15 04:41 PM by Sarah_Bellum

__means the rent can only increase by the percentage approved by the city. It could be 4 or 5 percent but it has been as little as 1%. You can still negotiate a lower increase though. I asked my landlord to give me the one year percentage rate for two years and he did. Others in my building have asked for no increase and got it. Basically the landlord cannot raise it more than the city states but it doesn't mean you can't negotiate. They do have to give you a lease that clearly states that it is rent stabilized. Beware though, if they didn't give you a lease that states it is rent stabilized with the city crest on it then that is shady and beware.

My landlord is trying to illegally destabilize my building. Landlords are sooooo shady.

DJTB YOMM

teefiveten
33019 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:38 PM

7. "^^yes you can totally negotiate for less rent"
In response to Reply # 5

they will give you 'preferred rent' and it's on the lease. some preferred rents last the entire term of the residency and increase based off whatever increase is allowed that year. you'd have to check your rider for that when you get it.

but most landlords nowadays only promise the preferred rent for the term of that year's lease. i had preferred rent up until this year (which i blame on the 1% increase this year-pissed off landlords) and i negotiated for another year of preferred rent for an amount that would have equaled a typical 4% increase (which is what landlords have been getting on average in the few years prior).

up until this past year i never had to ask for a preferred rent re-up. it was just given to me.

like.me

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Mr. ManC
11819 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:42 PM

9. "RE: rent stabilized "
In response to Reply # 5

Ok word, he's making me raise flags cause of this exact thing. He says it's rent stabilized, and when I research the building I see it is stabilized, but the language in the actual lease he's provided doesn't have it expressly stated. It says like "if this unit is rent stabilized then the parties agree to....." or whatever, but I just printed out the rider and IT has all the language and information I was looking for.

I'll check this out and make sure the lease is legit and sealed/stamped accordingly.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

teefiveten
33019 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:35 PM

6. "RE: NYC Eviction Help: Part 3 (HELP!)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-09-15 04:41 PM by teefiveten

>Now, I'm not familiar with the rent stabilization of
>apartments in NYC, but can't I fight to have the rent reduced
>even from what's agreed on a lease if he overcharges for it?
>(Which I think he is.)

yes, you can move in and go to HCR for a rental history and if he is overcharging your rent would go down and he'd owe you the difference of any rent you have paid him that was overcharged

>Also, he is supposed to attach a rider with all the rent
>stabilizing stipulations, except he didn't, so I got him again
>potentially by the balls.

i don't know if you have him by the balls here but he is supposed to attach a rider. how do you know it's stabilized?

if time is an issue and you can swing what he is offering you should just move in once you confirm it is a stabilized unit and make him produce a rider for you, because you both have to sign it--have the rider before you move in/exchange money and check the rental history to what he's charging you after you move in if you end up proven wrong and still think the apartment is worth the rent.

that HCR stuff doesn't happen overnight and most people contest it once they move in. honestly, i think that may be the only way to contest it-if you produce proof you are a leaseholder. i may be wrong on that though.

like.me

Mr. ManC
11819 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:46 PM

10. "RE: NYC Eviction Help: Part 3 (HELP!)"
In response to Reply # 6

word, this is what my game plan looks like in my head.

I think I want to sign the lease, then fight after the fact. I requested that HCR send me the rental history this afternoon, so that will tell me a lot. I expect a loooooooowwwww number. Lol and I think I can sign to obtain possession of the new place, because I have a court date for April 21st about the eviction which I'm using for leverage cause he and his lawyer do NOT want me in front of a judge.

The thinking is if I move into a new place, then we will mutually dismiss this previous proceeding. BUT I'm thinking I can open a new can of worms in the new place, and at least get stabilization laws on my side for subletting and lease renewal.

$850 a month would be sweeeeeeeeeet though haha.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

teefiveten
33019 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:49 PM

11. "subletting under rent stabilization isn't a guarantee"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu Apr-09-15 04:57 PM by teefiveten

the landlord has to agree and if you do it anyway without their approval or knowledge and they find out, they can move to evict you and whomever you are subletting to

like.me

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:54 PM

14. "^^"
In response to Reply # 11

absolutely not a guarantee the landlord needs to agree

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

Mr. ManC
11819 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 06:19 PM

19. "RE: subletting under rent stabilization isn't a guarantee"
In response to Reply # 11

Yeah that would just be a cherry on top haha but I def want everything that's mine.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 05:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "“One of the owners, right outside the courtroom offered me $50,000,”"
In response to Reply # 10

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12742573&mesg_id=12742573&listing_type=search

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Mr. ManC
11819 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 06:18 PM

18. "lol how you think I got THIS apartment?"
In response to Reply # 16

He took me to court for eviction over some bs and we wound up with him offering me a new place on my terms. I aint paid rent since November AND wont pay 2 months at the new place.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

Niq96st
Member since Jun 16th 2005
8396 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:51 PM

12. "You greedy as hell."
In response to Reply # 0

teefiveten
33019 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:53 PM

13. "LMAO. so are landlords tho"
In response to Reply # 12

like.me

lfresh
92696 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:55 PM

15. "exactly *shrugs*"
In response to Reply # 13

~~~~
~~~~

Mr. ManC
11819 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 06:16 PM

17. "to be fair, this dude charged me like $30k"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu Apr-09-15 06:19 PM by Mr. ManC

For an apartment that was worth only about $650 a month, were it legal that is.

Now for him to be acting slick AGAIN, AND I have all this leverage over him, hell yeah I'ma lock in my rent for as little as possible for as long as possible. It's my biggest bill and I support 2 adults.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

Lobby General Discussion topic #12777067 Previous topic | Next topic