Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12776354

Subject: "Home Repairs, Landscaping, Home Improvements" Previous topic | Next topic
ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 10:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Home Repairs, Landscaping, Home Improvements"

Spring is here!

How useful are the classes offered at Home Depot?
Had to rip up the ceiling in the bathroom due to a leak. Someone came and fixed the pipe but there is a large hole in the ceiling. I think I am going to do the sheetrock myself. I have a materials list. How sharp is the learning curve? My worst fear is of course it falling on someone's head as they poop.

So this post is about tips and projects you are working on. Also if you got any input on those classes let me know.

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm just going to re-do some art in my house. I wanted to buy a new HDTV
Apr 09th 2015
hiding that seam in the ceiling is tough
Apr 09th 2015
Patches aren't bad
Apr 09th 2015
Yeah that was the other thing I was afraid of.
Apr 09th 2015
I'm fairly handy.... the only thing i don't KNOW is electrical
Apr 09th 2015
i just patched a hole in a wall today breh
Apr 09th 2015
youtube has helped me
Apr 09th 2015
yeah man
Apr 09th 2015
Youtube can be a godsend sometimes
Apr 09th 2015
Grass, grass and mulch
Apr 09th 2015
fuck you green ass grass...
Apr 09th 2015
shit! can you do my yard?
Apr 09th 2015
I've given up on grass
Apr 09th 2015
Things I've learned about grass
Apr 09th 2015
      I love grass & understand most of that but
Apr 09th 2015
           OK Farmer Joe. That's an entirely different proposition
Apr 09th 2015
any good websites to read up on this stuff?
Apr 09th 2015
      Do a search on How To Overseed Your Lawn
Apr 10th 2015
           perfect, thanks.
Apr 10th 2015
Interior I've got a few projects
Apr 09th 2015
Do yall wash yall houses, though???
Apr 09th 2015
my brother inlaw power washed my house a few months ago
Apr 09th 2015
yeah, I do mine once a year in the summer
Apr 10th 2015
my dad's house is wood but he washes the house once every few years.
Apr 10th 2015
my kinda post! I need help
Apr 10th 2015
How steep is the slope?
Apr 10th 2015

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 11:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I'm just going to re-do some art in my house. I wanted to buy a new HDTV"
In response to Reply # 0

because my 46 inch is small nowadays, but it's still amazing since it's Samsung LED. Depends how cheap I can find a 65+ one for.

I need to fix my garage up for sure though. Weather strip is most important...HELLLLLLLLA dirt and bugs are in there because its like a damn two inch gap, and it slopes so its not even. Might even just buy an automatic door...I don't like the way it hangs when it's open, looks like it wants to fall. But hey, I paid some documented workers $700 and they built that door in a damn day!

Oh, and I gotta buy a new tree for my backyard. The raggedy orange tree basically died, and I put a slim palm tree there that was great, then...that died I gotta get one that doesn't require as much water.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 11:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "hiding that seam in the ceiling is tough"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-09-15 11:30 AM by RobOne4

watch videos that are specific to ceilings. For whatever reason its much more difficult than doing walls.

last week the wife and I started on our projects. Painted doors right now. Painted our garage door a bit lighter. There is a big ass empty field down the street. The dust from the field blows and covers are garage door. So we went with a lighter color so you couldnt tell as much. Also repainted the trim around the garage door.

Took the iron railings off of our patio. Looking to put a couple of potted plants there to fill the space. But now the patio looks less cluttered. We have french doors right next to our front door that you couldnt see because of the railings. We also painted the french doors and repainted the thresh hold. Still need to paint the front door. We also bought new hinges to match the new door knobs we put in when we bought the house.

We also have an empty planter on our walk way we are looking to fill with something.

Everything else is inside. Painted our fireplace. It was scuffed to shit from previous owners pets. Need to paint our cabinets upstairs in our loft. They were scuffed just like the fireplace.

Also need to put a ceiling fan in my sons room for summer.

Lots of shit on deck this year. But the only expensive thing is the ceiling fan. Since we have to have an electrician come out for that one. Everything else is cheap.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 11:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Patches aren't bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Never done a ceiling but I imagine it's the same as a wall.

Big one for me this spring/summer is going to be taking up the patio (just loose brick) and putting in drainage pipes. The ice overwhelmed by patio grade last month and a day of 35 degrees and rain made a good bit of water wash into the family room as a result. Already dried the carpet, replaced the matting, reseamed the carpet, stretched it, replaced the threshold, foamed and caulked the shit out of everything. Outdoor part shouldn't be hard, but will take some time & planning & effort.

Garden's late this year but already going gangbusters. Have a bunch of veggies in and sprouting - spinach, kale, bok choy, radishes, arugula. Lettuce, mesclun and endive mixes should pop soon. Asparagus hopefully in two weeks. Need to do the indoor seeds - melons, tomatoes, peppers - to sprout soon.

Flowers are going great. Snowdrops and winter aconites winding up, first wave of daffodils going crazy, crocuses, hellebores, scillas, hyacinths and grape hyacinths coming up... got (most of the garden) cleaned up and mulched.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 05:22 PM

19. "Yeah that was the other thing I was afraid of. "
In response to Reply # 3

Cutting the board and leaving a fucked up angle.

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 11:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I'm fairly handy.... the only thing i don't KNOW is electrical "
In response to Reply # 0

i know the basics but i couldn't wire a house

patchin holes n shit like that is childs play

plumbing can get a bit tricky but for the most part...manageable...

me myself personally...i wouldn't go to a Home Depot class

but for someone who is clueless on a topic i guess its cool

=======================================
Coolin...

SHAstayhighalways
Member since Sep 03rd 2014
3696 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 11:31 AM

5. "i just patched a hole in a wall today breh"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm feeling mad handy

www.royallegacy.org

For Real (Official Video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRoCPO8esE

latenitemix
Charter member
51255 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 11:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "youtube has helped me"
In response to Reply # 0

i replaced a motor drive on my washing machine all by myself
learned how to do some dryer repairs too

______
gnap.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 01:01 PM

11. "yeah man"
In response to Reply # 6

I did the water intake on the washer, the pump motor on the washer, and the blower motor on the dryer... total cost about $200 in parts & everything working as well as new.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:31 PM

18. "Youtube can be a godsend sometimes"
In response to Reply # 6

Home repair, yard repair, auto repair whatever. If only to get a visual idea on how much work you're in for it can be a fantastic tool

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

spenzalii
10982 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 11:54 AM

7. "Grass, grass and mulch"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been in the process of overseeding the lawn at my house. Started 2 years ago, as it really takes a good year to really get the grass and soil set. I used a core areator and thatch rake to let the ground breathe and pull most of the dead grass from the soil. I wanted to get off the chemical fertilizer as much as I could, so when I added the new grass seed I used LeafGro (soil conditioner made in the DC/MD/VA area) as the fertilizer/top dressing around late August/early September. In the spring I used a corn gluten meal based fertilizer to keep the weeds at bay, then followed up with more Leafgro a few weeks later. Did the same thing a few weeks ago and the grass is already looking great.

I've got a bigger grass project at my parents house. Their entire yard was a mess. Some areas grew, some areas were just dirt. So last year I had to do the works: Topsoil for the bare areas, dethatching for the entire yard, malorganite on everything, a'' new grass seed and Leafgrow on everything. Took about 3 weeks to get the whole yard done, as I work full time and could only get by on weekends and evenings (and transporting all those bags of dirt in the trunk takes multiple runs to the nursery/Home Depot). Grass sprouted nicely over the fall and held on through teh winter. While I told my father not to do anything to the yard without asking me first, he went on and got some Scotts and put that down. Ah well. I'm still going to follow up with the LeafGro in the next few weeks, as the soil can use all the additional nutrients it can get. Looking forward to seeing how the grass does over the summer

Flower beds need mulch. There's never ever enough mulch. These small areas take 20 bags of the 3 cu.ft. stuff too... Pics from the work last year (or the year before, can't even remember now):

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/spenzalii/slideshow/Home%20Stuff

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 12:37 PM

9. "fuck you green ass grass..."
In response to Reply # 7

yeah, I been on that FEED IT!!!(C) this spring. Copped me a spreader and already hit it up twice. I notice the difference already. Another thing...and this might be a late pass...that I got on last spring was that I went out and bought an edger. Man...your lawn looks so much doper when you edge all the way around it. It's like having that dope lining after you get a cut.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79607 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 01:00 PM

10. "shit! can you do my yard? "
In response to Reply # 7

this Charlotte clay bullshit is the worst.

I'm halfway there and getting ready to reseed this weekend.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 01:10 PM

13. "I've given up on grass"
In response to Reply # 7

I just don't care about it enough t put in the effort on the grass... I'd much rather spen it on shrubs, flowers & veggies. As a result much of my yard is crabgrass, clover or woodsorrel. Doesn't bother me much though and the clover & woodsorrel keep the bugs happy. Only thing that pisses me off is that grass keeps managing to seed in where I don't want it. Like why won't it grow in the yard, but it'll grow in among my irises?

As for mulch - I mentioned this elsewhere but I really prefer wood chips from a tree guy to any of the colored/pre-bagged stuff. It's a rougher look for sure and there's been some backlash against them from landscapers, but I still find it preferable and at $20 or so for a truck load it's practically free.

I make my own mulch & compost wherever possible though and just got one of these bad boys this spring: http://www.mackissic.com/HSC_12P.html - ran it for most of the ay two wkds ago chopping up yard use and wound up with a terrific blended mulch of pine needles, leaves, and wood chips. Promptly spread it on the bank garden.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

spenzalii
10982 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 02:41 PM

14. "Things I've learned about grass"
In response to Reply # 13

1. Visit your local nursery instead of the big box stores. It's not just for some of the specialized product they have, but the people that work there. They generally know more about what you're trying to plant and what will grow in your region than your local guy at Home Depot. Since there has been a big push to keep chemicals out of the Chesapeake Bay, I've tried to go organic on my grass and plants as much as I can. I've become a pretty big fan of using compost or LeafGro as fertilizer. Takes longer and is harder than using a drop spreader, but it really helps the soil out, breaking up clay and restoring organic material that the grass can feed on. Talking to some of the folks at the nursery pointed me in the right direction.

2. Never cut it too short. I've got a mix of rye and fescue out back, and try not to cut it lower than 3 inches most of the year. When I was a kid, I'd drop the mower almost to the ground and cut it so I wouldn't have to keep doing it. Now that I know better, that's never gonna happen again. Depending on your region and what kind of grass you have, your nursery can tell you what the recommended cutting height is. Another benefit to not cutting it too low is weed prevention. If the grass is at the correct height, the weeds won't have the room or sun to grow, so the grass will take care of itself

3. Plan to put in some work. Maintaining the grass isn't too bad. Make sure it's cut properly, feed it (a nice feeding in the spring and a big feed in the fall is best out here) and make sure you water it properly (best in the morning, never when the sun is burning high and not in the evening if it can be avoided). Now, if your grass has seen better days you have to do more. Planting grass in the late spring/early fall is your best bet. If you plant in the spring, the summer heat will give that new grass a beating and it may not survive. Planting between late August and early September gives the grass chance to establish itself and set up roots. It will stop growing in the winter and be ready to roll in the spring, giving the roots time to grow deeper and stand a far better chance for the summer heat. For packed soil or clay, you likely will need to have it core aerated. Depending on the size of your yard, you can do it yourself or rent a machine. If there's a build up of thatch (a layer of dead grass and leaves that haven't decomposed) you need to remove that with a dethatching rake (I call it a danger rake, as the blades on that thing are super sharp) before spreading your new seed. Again, depending on the size of the yard, you can do it manually (which is HARD work, believe me) or rent a machine. Clay can be broken up with a soil conditioner or compost. Your nursery can point you the right way

4. It takes time. Like any living thing, grass takes time to grow, so you need to run a long game on your lawn. Plan on at least a year for new seed to really take hold and get strong enough to last (though you will see results much sooner, provided it is fed and watered correctly). Save the major repair work for the fall. It will be worth it.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm hating on Scotts, Pennington, The Rebels, etc that you can easily pick up anywhere, nor am I on a high horse saying organic is the only way to go . If that's what you can find, great. But I highly recommend going to a nursery and talking with some of the folks there. Some of their products may work better for your yard, others, you may pass on. But pick their brain and they can help you come up with a plan.

For mulch, I usually go with shredded hardwood or pine fines when I can find them. I used the colored mulch one year and it faded too quickly to justify using it again. Here is another place going to the nursery can help. Most of your stores only have the 2 cu. ft. bags. The nursery usually has 3 cu. ft bags for the same price or pretty close. More for less. That said, in my front area I'm probably going to switch to rubber mulch. It's more expensive, but the space I'm covering isn't as big, and I shouldn't have to redo it for another 10 years

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 03:27 PM

15. "I love grass & understand most of that but"
In response to Reply # 14

with almost an acre, chickens that scratch any damn thing when we let them out of the coop (they've torn up entire sections of lawn in an afternoon), and a priority on veggies and ornamentals rather than grass... the long game with the lawn isn't for me. Not worth the work compared to the other two... I'm fine cutting it every two weeks, longer if I can let it go, and that's that. Plus my grassy area keeps shrinking on purpose - between landscaped beds, garden beds, shed, playset, etc., I've probably cut my grass area by 1/3 over the past ten years. Working on another 100' of veggie garden boxes right now, and hoping later this spring to expand the landscaping in my front to take up about 20% or more of the remaining front yard.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

spenzalii
10982 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 03:36 PM

16. "OK Farmer Joe. That's an entirely different proposition"
In response to Reply # 15

I can see your point. Grass would be doable, but that is a lot of work. I'd definitely rent some machines for that if grass was the plan. I'm cool with clover (I believe that's an indication the soil needs more nitrogen) but not so much on crabgrass. I'd take some of the fine ground compost and top dress what grass you have. At the very least it will help strengthen what's there.

Nice chipper...

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 11:15 PM

20. "any good websites to read up on this stuff?"
In response to Reply # 7

I put seed down last year but only half took. Now the yard is half green thick and luscious and half crab grass and weeds. So I have been spraying it with weed killer, which has worked. Thinking about aerating. I heard it works well. But I need to learn about this shit before I just waste money.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 04:40 PM

21. "Do a search on How To Overseed Your Lawn"
In response to Reply # 20

http://www.americanplant.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50:lawn-renovation

http://www.lawn-care-academy.com/overseeding-lawns.html

Those are 2 good places to start. Core areation and a good soil amendment would probably work wonders. Check out a few Youtube videos too on overseedong or reseeding:

https://youtu.be/hvasBZJ_POM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4V9FLNS3lg
https://youtu.be/EyvyecevWdc
https://youtu.be/I2lDfj7Q6jY

RobOne4
56697 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 05:09 PM

22. "perfect, thanks."
In response to Reply # 21

spenzalii
10982 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 12:31 PM

8. "Interior I've got a few projects"
In response to Reply # 0

NEw construction is now 7 years old. House has settled a bit and there are a number of nail pops that I've got to take care of. I've also got to replace corner beads (inner and outer) on a few walls, as some have started to peel away from the wall and others look like big cracks. Then there are a few small chips in the wall where it looks like something nicked the wall. Spackle, sand and repaint at some point.

Kitchen/family room area needs a ceiling fan. We had the hole cut in the ceiling a few years ago and the switch is already wired up. Just need to pick out the right fan and install it myself.

3 biggest projects are the garage, basement and master bedroom. I need to put some shelving in the garage (and probably some overhead storage) and have the floor pressure cleaned and painted. While technically it's a 2 car garage it's a super tight fit with both rides inside, so I need to maximize the storage the best I can. The basement needs get painted and likely rearranged. I just haven't quite figured out the color. When we moved in I wanted to install some wainscoting and a chair rail, but now I'm not sure. I think I want to mount the TV on the wall, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. Getting the VESA mount installed won't be hard (did that on both my kid's rooms). Either way, I need a new stand or cabinet for my A/V stuff (and I need to make room for a turntable. I have waaay too much wax I haven't listened to because of it). I want to do surround sound as well, but I'm not keen on running wires all the way across the room, and I haven't done enough research on a wireless rear speaker solution yet. The master bedroom and bath need paint. We's like to eventually get a real dresser, but having a 5 year old in dance class puts that well in the future. Corner bead needs replacing, need to install better lighting (we've got a vaulted ceiling in there with a ceiling fan, but it doesn't provide nearly as much light as we'd like). Debating putting that TV on the wall with a soundbar, but need to sort out a few things with the A/V wiring (not sure I need the cable box, Roky, Blu Ray and Pi running XBMC in one spot, and I need to hide the wires)

Always smaller things to tackle. Need to replace toilet seats (we had installed training seats on 3 of the toilets when we were potty training). Would like to replace the shower faucet in my room. The kitchen backsplash needs to be done. Considering replacing some outlets in the house with receptacles with USB jacks, but need to do some more research there too

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 01:02 PM

12. "Do yall wash yall houses, though???"
In response to Reply # 0

Frill...ever since I found that wash for vinyl siding at Home Depot..I've been telling anyone who would listen. Don't even need a powerwasher, either. Stop rockin a dirty house, fams.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 04:08 PM

17. "my brother inlaw power washed my house a few months ago"
In response to Reply # 12

its stucko and not vinyl. House is 11 years old and it had 11 years of dirt and dust on it. It was amazing. I dont know why I was surprised though. Our track is the last one before you leave civilization. Nothing but empty fields and farms once you leave our street. So every sun down when the winds kick up the dirt is getting thrown at our house. Imma have him do it every year now.

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 05:38 PM

23. "yeah, I do mine once a year in the summer"
In response to Reply # 17

SHAstayhighalways
Member since Sep 03rd 2014
3696 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 05:56 PM

24. "my dad's house is wood but he washes the house once every few years."
In response to Reply # 12

he got his own power washer.

www.royallegacy.org

For Real (Official Video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRoCPO8esE

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 06:07 PM

25. "my kinda post! I need help"
In response to Reply # 0

Part of my yard is literally all mud. Its sloped so when it rains the runoff just takes the soil and destroys the grass. Its basically all clay now. Fucking my property value.

I'd like to plant some grass or any kind of year round ground cover but everything ive tried is literally washed away during the next rain storm.

I'm tempted to say fuck it and call in a real landscaper to fix this shit permanently....help?

spenzalii
10982 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 10:15 PM

26. "How steep is the slope?"
In response to Reply # 25

If run off is a problem, you could think about installing sod in the area. You know that won't wash out, and once it gets established you should be able to overseed to keep it that way.

As always, hit up your area nursery for some ideas

Lobby General Discussion topic #12776354 Previous topic | Next topic