Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12774926

Subject: "Islam projected to be world's largest religion by 2070 (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 07:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Islam projected to be world's largest religion by 2070 (swipe)"

hate it or love it, it is what it is

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/02/religion-muslims-christians-populations-pew-research/70769318/

Muslims will outnumber Christians by 2070, ending two millenniums of Christian dominance going back to the birth of Jesus Christ, projections released Thursday by the Pew Research Center show.

Islam is projected to grow more than twice as fast as any other major religion over the next half century because of a higher fertility rate. While Christianity will remain a dominant global religion, it will lose majority religious status in countries such as the United Kingdom, France and Australia.

Such a dramatic change raises questions about whether global conflicts between radical Muslim groups and Western nations with Christian majorities will become more inflamed in the decades ahead.

A slight shift by one major world religion to numerical dominance may not, by itself, create problems, but underlying factors of rapid population growth in poor countries can drive economic hardship, migration and political unrest, says David Voas, professor of population studies at England's Institute for Social and Economic Research. Such conditions can give rise to extremist violence, he says.

"The very rapid growth of population, combined with limited opportunities even for the educated young people, but particularly for less educated ones, has created social and therefore political tensions and that has fueled things like immigration to Western countries, political upheaval," Voas say.

The world's two largest religions will be near parity by 2050. Christians are predicted to be 31.4% of the planet's population vs. 29.7% who follow Islam, researchers say. Christians made up the same 31.4% in 2010; Muslims 23.2%.

"We can be quite confident that Muslims are going to grow rapidly in the decades ahead," said Conrad Hackett, demographer and lead author of the report.

The engine of growth for both Christianity and Islam will be sub-Saharan Africa where high fertility and large Muslim and Christian populations will increase global numbers for both religions, Pew demographers say.

Christianity will remain the dominant religion for the United States but lose some of its share to the unaffiliated — those who claim no particular religion or who are atheists or agnostic. By 2050, one in four Americans will fall into this non-religious category, up from 16.4% in 2010, the analysis shows.

While the populations of nearly all the world's religions will grow, youth and high fertility among Muslims will fuel a dramatic 73% jump in numbers in just over a generation. The number of Christians during that same period will increase by 35%, the study shows.

By midcentury, global population will swell by a third from 6.9 billion in 2010 to 9.3 billion.
Women pray during a Mass led by Pope Tawadros II, the

Women pray during a Mass led by Pope Tawadros II, the 118th pope of the Coptic Church of Egypt, on Feb. 17, 2015. (Photo: Amr Nabil, AP)

Fertility rates are key to the growth rate of religions, according to the report. Populations remains static with a birthrate of 2.1 children per mother, and a few world religions during the next four decades fall below that mark. Buddhists, for example, have a rate of 1.6, so their numbers will remain largely unchanged by 2050, the report says.

Jews and Hindus have higher fertility rates, but still fall below the world average of 2.5. Christians surpass that average with a rate of 2.7, but Muslims soar beyond it with 3.1 children per mother.

For followers of Islam to outnumber Christians by 2070 would be a milestone for mankind, many scholars say. Pew researchers say experts they consulted assert that since Christianity began six centuries before Islam, followers of Christ have always outnumbered Muslims.

Other findings in the study:

• India will surpass Indonesia as having more Muslims than any country by 2050. However, because of India's explosive growth — it will house the world's largest population by then — Muslims will remain outnumbered by Hindus.

• Muslims will make up 10.2% of Europe's population by 2050, up from 5.9% in 2010. Their percentage within the U.S. will more than double to 2.1% and they will for the first time outnumber Jews in America.

• While the number of atheists, agnostics and others who do not affiliate with any religion will, as a group, be a smaller share of the world's population by 2050, they will be the largest, outnumbering Christians, for nations such as France, New Zealand and the Netherlands.

• Christianity is expected to suffer the largest net loss among those switching beliefs by 2050, winning over 40 million new adherents while losing 106 million, mostly to those unaffiliated with religion.

• A potential wild card in the projections is China. Those unaffiliated with religion make up more than half the population there. But some scholars believe many of those could be Christians too fearful to make their faith known. Should they become more open in the decades ahead it could change the calculations regarding worldwide Muslim numerical supremacy, Pew researchers say.

To establish the projections, Pew researchers culled through and analyzed 2,500 sources of data including censuses, demographic surveys and other studies.

"You might say only God knows how many people are believers," said Nicholas Eberstadt, a political economist and demographer with the American Enterprise Institute. "But to the extent we mortals who try to use statistical methods and data can try to quantify these very difficult questions, they've done a tremendous, tremendous job."

http://instagram.com/schemeofthings

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
we're losing the planet! (c) Fox News
Apr 08th 2015
Ninjitsu projected to be world's largest religion by 2070
Apr 08th 2015
I'm sorry this hurts your feelings :'(
Apr 08th 2015
      Oh its like Muhammad raping little girls, terrible :(
Apr 08th 2015
           the only blind eye
Apr 08th 2015
                the only blind eye is 6-year old aisha's
Apr 08th 2015
                     and you speak of weak arguments? lol
Apr 08th 2015
This sentence makes no sense..or is just wrong.
Apr 08th 2015
its both lol
Apr 08th 2015
I thought that made the article credible lol
Apr 08th 2015
      THe Christian Post says there will be a Muslim majority by 2050
Apr 08th 2015
Obama strikes again
Apr 08th 2015
i dont think see how this is a good thing for Africa
Apr 08th 2015
smh
Apr 08th 2015
RE: smh
Apr 08th 2015
      smh
Apr 08th 2015
      i guess my point is that it will be business as usual
Apr 08th 2015
           k.
Apr 08th 2015
      no, it doesnt really have any bearing to the story
Apr 08th 2015
           RE: no, it doesnt really have any bearing to the story
Apr 08th 2015
50% of africa is muslim already
Apr 08th 2015
and majority of muslims will be in asia, not africa (edit)
Apr 08th 2015
great more of the same religious idiocy on the planet
Apr 08th 2015
SaNetter Wept
Apr 08th 2015
Too bad atheism's track record ain't much to write home about.
Apr 08th 2015
I'll be dead then
Apr 08th 2015

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "we're losing the planet! (c) Fox News"
In response to Reply # 0

Musica Negra
#13irteen

zaire
Member since Aug 17th 2003
2533 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Ninjitsu projected to be world's largest religion by 2070 "
In response to Reply # 0

>hate it or love it, it is what it is

can't wait

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:23 AM

3. "I'm sorry this hurts your feelings :'("
In response to Reply # 2

zaire
2533 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:26 AM

4. "Oh its like Muhammad raping little girls, terrible :("
In response to Reply # 3

but keep turning a blind eye to a couple *small* facts that make this whole thing argument utterly ridiculous lol

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:33 AM

5. "the only blind eye"
In response to Reply # 4

is you trying to argue with this projection lol

haters gonna hate, 2070 remember the date

Tommy-B
Member since Mar 03rd 2013
524 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "the only blind eye is 6-year old aisha's"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Apr-08-15 08:46 AM by Tommy-B

after mohammed jizzed in it.

If you're innocent, be cool.
Only the guilty's catchin' offence.

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:42 AM

8. "and you speak of weak arguments? lol"
In response to Reply # 6

most likely you will be dead by 2070 and no one will care

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:38 AM

7. "This sentence makes no sense..or is just wrong. "
In response to Reply # 0

"ending two millenniums of Christian dominance going back to the birth of Jesus Christ"

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:43 AM

9. "its both lol "
In response to Reply # 7

zaire
2533 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:44 AM

10. "I thought that made the article credible lol"
In response to Reply # 7

but it just turned out to make it hilarious

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 09:04 AM

12. "THe Christian Post says there will be a Muslim majority by 2050"
In response to Reply # 10

http://www.christianpost.com/news/muslim-population-will-grow-to-equal-christians-worldwide-by-2050-while-christians-in-the-us-will-decline-pew-study-finds-136877/

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:49 AM

11. "Obama strikes again"
In response to Reply # 0

NikaMandela
Charter member
35230 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 09:32 AM

13. "i dont think see how this is a good thing for Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

essentially they're saying sub saharan africans will be mainly responsible for this growth. so the poorest people on the planet will continue having the most children, women will have an even harder struggle for equality, and christians and muslims will keep fighting. all of which impairs economic growth.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 09:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "smh"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed Apr-08-15 09:36 AM by SoWhat

So what? You've assumed the ppl of subsaharan Africa will remain the poorest. And if they do that no bearing on the info in this story.

Your reply reads like you stretched to find a reason to complain about this news - the news being that Islam may be the world's dominant religion within our lifetime.

fuck you.

NikaMandela
Charter member
35230 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 09:43 AM

16. "RE: smh"
In response to Reply # 14

>So what? You've assumed the ppl of subsaharan Africa will
>remain the poorest.

yes, i did. "among" the poorest. do you assume differently?

And if they do that no bearing on the info
>in this story.

yes it does.

>Your reply reads like you stretched to find a reason to
>complain about this news - the news being that Islam may be
>the world's dominant religion within our lifetime.

no, it wasn't a stretch. i was just more concerned about the African angle than i was about the world angle.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 09:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "smh"
In response to Reply # 16
Wed Apr-08-15 09:53 AM by SoWhat

So...Islam will the reason subsaharan Africa remains among the poorest in the world?

What does the rise of Islam in subsaharan Africa have to do with poverty? Bc this article is about the rise of Islam. So I cram to understand where this response is coming from if not some attempt to find fault with the rise of Islam in subsaharan Africa.

fuck you.

NikaMandela
Charter member
35230 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 10:08 AM

20. "i guess my point is that it will be business as usual"
In response to Reply # 17

i dont see having more sheer numbers--especially where resources are limited--as good.

but you're right that its not necessarily about Islam. bc its not like its Islam vs. another religion will put a people on the path to prosperity and ppl choose Islam.

and i think my personal experiences are clouding my judgement on this issue so I'm going to fall back cuz i know better.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 10:10 AM

21. "k."
In response to Reply # 20

>i dont see having more sheer numbers--especially where
>resources are limited--as good.
>
>but you're right that its not necessarily about Islam. bc its
>not like its Islam vs. another religion will put a people on
>the path to prosperity and ppl choose Islam.
>
>and i think my personal experiences are clouding my judgement
>on this issue so I'm going to fall back cuz i know better.
>
>

fuck you.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 09:50 AM

18. "no, it doesnt really have any bearing to the story"
In response to Reply # 16

for example, some of the countries with higher % of moslims in africa also tend to be among the wealthier countries, with the least health disparities.

so should we now say that subsaharan africa should turn to islam to solve its problems?
thats akin to the argument you are making

>>So what? You've assumed the ppl of subsaharan Africa will
>>remain the poorest.
>yes, i did. "among" the poorest. do you assume differently?

i do. most countries are greying at a much faster rate than replacement level
this will put increasing strain on productivity
and we really dont know how we are going to deal with that at this point
(perhaps japan will lead the learning curve on this)
but africa has a relatively younger population
we have time..we have the bodies and i believe we will get it right, eventually.
i have a lot of optimism.

>And if they do that no bearing on the info
>>in this story.
>
>yes it does.

it really doesnt

>no, it wasn't a stretch. i was just more concerned about the
>African angle than i was about the world angle.

there's no african angle here.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

NikaMandela
Charter member
35230 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 10:36 AM

22. "RE: no, it doesnt really have any bearing to the story"
In response to Reply # 18

>for example, some of the countries with higher % of moslims
>in africa also tend to be among the wealthier countries, with
>the least health disparities.

??? in subsaharan africa?

>so should we now say that subsaharan africa should turn to
>islam to solve its problems?
>thats akin to the argument you are making

personally i would love to see humankind evolve away from religion and i guess thats the angle i'm coming from.

>>>So what? You've assumed the ppl of subsaharan Africa will
>>>remain the poorest.
>>yes, i did. "among" the poorest. do you assume differently?
>
>i do. most countries are greying at a much faster rate than
>replacement level
>this will put increasing strain on productivity
>and we really dont know how we are going to deal with that at
>this point
>(perhaps japan will lead the learning curve on this)
>but africa has a relatively younger population
>we have time..we have the bodies and i believe we will get it
>right, eventually.
>i have a lot of optimism.

>
>>And if they do that no bearing on the info
>>>in this story.
>>
>>yes it does.
>
>it really doesnt
>
>>no, it wasn't a stretch. i was just more concerned about the
>>African angle than i was about the world angle.
>
>there's no african angle here.

honestly i guess it just rubs me the wrong way to say "we're going to grow our numbers with the poorest people." I'm taking it personal and i should have just kept my mouth shut.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 09:43 AM

15. "50% of africa is muslim already"
Wed Apr-08-15 09:44 AM by akon

but the socio-economic and health disparity issues are not related to religion.
not in the least.

a better way of looking at population is by looking at population density
africa has one of the lowest population densities among the continents
so really, we might be growing, but that is certainly not the issue

the main issue is getting economic growth on par (or exceeding) population growth
and higher and more efficient spending on health, education and agriculture
lets not make this too simplistic

i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 09:54 AM

19. "and majority of muslims will be in asia, not africa (edit)"
Wed Apr-08-15 09:58 AM by akon

the article in the original post is poorly written.
but the article doesnt imply that religous growth is in tandem with population growth
its the other way around
as the population grows, so does the number who are religious
(and one can say the same about just about anything else. im sure we atheists are also going to see phenomenal growth in africa)

this article is a better read
http://www.pewforum.org/2011/01/27/the-future-of-the-global-muslim-population/

" A majority of the world’s Muslims (about 60%) will continue to live in the Asia-Pacific region, while about 20% will live in the Middle East and North Africa, as is the case today. But Pakistan is expected to surpass Indonesia as the country with the single largest Muslim population. The portion of the world’s Muslims living in sub-Saharan Africa is projected to rise; in 20 years, for example, more Muslims are likely to live in Nigeria than in Egypt. Muslims will remain relatively small minorities in Europe and the Americas, but they are expected to constitute a growing share of the total population in these regions."

also

"Several factors account for the faster projected growth among Muslims than non-Muslims worldwide. Generally, Muslim populations tend to have higher fertility rates (more children per woman) than non-Muslim populations."

^^^ note that this is not as straight-forward as attributing it to religion.
most majority muslim countries are also at different demographic transitions that non-muslim countries
the demographic profile of e.g Indonesia is very different from Italy. That demographic profile is related to economic growth etc.
Italians are generally having fewer children becuase they dealth with the infant/child mortality
issue (which is one key reason most women have many births) much earlier than indonesia
its a more complicated story than just- those women are giving birth to many children.

"In addition, a larger share of the Muslim population is in, or soon will enter, the prime reproductive years (ages 15-29). Also, improved health and economic conditions in Muslim-majority countries have led to greater-than-average declines in infant and child mortality rates, and life expectancy is rising even faster in Muslim-majority countries than in other less-developed countries. (See the section on Main Factors Driving Population Growth for more details. For a list of Muslim-majority countries and definitions for the terms less- and more-developed, see the section on Muslim- Majority Countries.)"

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 10:57 AM

23. "great more of the same religious idiocy on the planet"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 02:10 PM

24. "SaNetter Wept"
In response to Reply # 23

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 04:02 PM

25. "Too bad atheism's track record ain't much to write home about."
In response to Reply # 23

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 04:05 PM

26. "I'll be dead then"
In response to Reply # 0

Not too worried.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12774926 Previous topic | Next topic