Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12772218

Subject: "goodfellas birthed the Sorpranos what other film did that" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Apr-04-15 11:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"goodfellas birthed the Sorpranos what other film did that"

for a tv show? where its arugable if the film was better than the tv show?

also out of goodfellas and the Sorpranos which was better in the bigger picture to you and why?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
love both GF and sopranos... and because one is a film and the other
Apr 05th 2015
Hard to keep the consistency throughout a series
Apr 05th 2015
      definitely difficult to overcome either of the two different challenges....
Apr 05th 2015
cant even compare the two
Apr 05th 2015
Uh... no. David Chase's mother and The Simpsons birthed Sopranos
Apr 05th 2015
sex in the city could be mentioned as well...
Apr 05th 2015
I'm interested in the logic or history for that one
Apr 05th 2015
      that was pretty much what i was gettin at...the format...
Apr 05th 2015
      You haven't at all discussed HBO's decision to greenlight the Sopranos
Apr 06th 2015
           Mob movies and mob fascination generally. But not Goodfellas specificall...
Apr 06th 2015
           I must have imagined all the these other mob movies, buddy.
Apr 06th 2015
                I agree that all mob movies contributed but I think Goodfellas does have
Apr 06th 2015
                     The influence is undeniable. I'm not arguing that
Apr 06th 2015
Snark aside, maxx is right
Apr 05th 2015
      No he isn't. Goodfellas had zero to do with the birth of The Sopranos
Apr 05th 2015
           You're taking "give birth" way too literally. Yes if you ask David Chase...
Apr 06th 2015
                lol. no. Goodfellas is not responsible for the Sopranos. stop.
Apr 06th 2015
                Maxx used the term. But I can read so I understand how he was using it.
Apr 06th 2015
                     Congrats on being literate. If you'd also learn to read about a subject...
Apr 06th 2015
                Godfather 1, 2, and 3 had as much to do w/Sopranos greenlighting
Apr 06th 2015
                     The DeCavalcante family would like a word with soulfunk
Apr 06th 2015
                          you know?
Apr 06th 2015
Scarface and Miami Vice
Apr 05th 2015
Cooley High and What's Happening
Apr 05th 2015
American Graffiti lead to Happy Days
Apr 05th 2015
I was gonna mention both of the above
Apr 05th 2015
      Yeah, it's probably worth establishing first the notion of Movies
Apr 05th 2015
New Jack City and NY Undercover
Apr 05th 2015
School Daze and Different World maybe
Apr 05th 2015
not really: this was more a case of concurrency and the same
Apr 05th 2015
thought it was based off a book.
Apr 05th 2015
Grapes of Wrath gave birth to I Love Lucy.
Apr 06th 2015
Birth of a Nation gave birth to Love and Hip-Hop.
Apr 06th 2015
To Kill a Mockingbird gave birth to The Good Wife.
Apr 06th 2015
Taxi Driver gave birth to Sesame Street.
Apr 06th 2015
^^^Just caught the holy spirit
Apr 06th 2015
Color Purple gave birth to The View.
Apr 06th 2015
Airplane birthed Police Squad!
Apr 06th 2015

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 12:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "love both GF and sopranos... and because one is a film and the other"
In response to Reply # 0

a series its in some ways like comparing apples and oranges, but as much as i love the film id have to lean towards the series, only because of the consistent level of quality that the show upheld for such a long period of time...no easy feat. the sopranos was one of the best pieces of work ever made. writing/character development and acting were both consistently amazing.

>for a tv show? where its arugable if the film was better
>than the tv show?
>
>also out of goodfellas and the Sorpranos which was better
>in the bigger picture to you and why?

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 12:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Hard to keep the consistency throughout a series "
In response to Reply # 1

but harder to character develop in 146mins.

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z

mikediggz
10145 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 12:28 AM

3. "definitely difficult to overcome either of the two different challenges...."
In response to Reply # 2

and i take nothing at all from the film...one of my faves. maybe i lean to the sopranos because they kept me entertained for so many seasons...both are definitely masterpieces.

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 12:46 AM

4. "cant even compare the two"
In response to Reply # 0

one was a cinematic masterpiece with a riveting story arc that kept u intrigued from beginning to end. Plus it was based on a true story.

the other was a fictional mafia crime drama series with stories that were mostly riveting and the lead character that was probably the most psychopathic and humanistic character in tv drama history. Without Tony Soprano, that show is no more popular than Boardwalk Empire.

Goodfellas meant more to me because it just as close to perfection as you can get with a movie.

Sopranos was great but it also went into haitus one year and came back in the summer time with a christmas episode. Kind of threw me off a little from time to time. And i wasn't a fan of the finale. Was kind of weak how it ended imo. Still great though because of Tony. Right behind The Wire for me.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44851 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 11:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Uh... no. David Chase's mother and The Simpsons birthed Sopranos"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Apr-05-15 11:36 AM by Cold Truth

At any rate, Sopranos revolutionized television as we know it. Oz laid the foundation, lobbed a solid pitch, but the Sopranos hit that shit out of the park.

mikediggz
10145 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 11:55 AM

7. "sex in the city could be mentioned as well..."
In response to Reply # 5

although it and the sopranos were during the same time period

Cold Truth
44851 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 12:03 PM

8. "I'm interested in the logic or history for that one"
In response to Reply # 7

I wouldn't call SATC an entity that's responsible for creating The Sopranos by any stretch. o my knowledge, the three most significant elements that went into creating The Sopranos were Chase's relationship with his mother, the Simpsons (Chase wanted the Sopranos to essentially be a live action Simpsons) and the self-conscious, hyper-sensitive, damn near hit dog way he felt many Italian Americans viewed pretty much anything mafia related in the media.

Just not seeing the Sex And The City vibe, unless you're referring to revolutionizing serialized television. I'd agree with that, though I'd say one is clearly the Alpha of the two on that front. SATC was pretty significant in it's own right and provided an elevated platform for television that catered to female and homosexual sensibilities.

mikediggz
10145 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 03:26 PM

17. "that was pretty much what i was gettin at...the format..."
In response to Reply # 8

plus the fact that SITC was an HBO entity as well..and it started before the sopranos, even tho not by much time wise.

>unless you're
>referring to revolutionizing serialized television. I'd agree
>with that, though I'd say one is clearly the Alpha of the two
>on that front. SATC was pretty significant in it's own right
>and provided an elevated platform for television that catered
>to female and homosexual sensibilities.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 09:47 AM

29. "You haven't at all discussed HBO's decision to greenlight the Sopranos"
In response to Reply # 8

And that absolutely has to do with the success of Mob movies.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 09:54 AM

30. "Mob movies and mob fascination generally. But not Goodfellas specificall..."
In response to Reply # 29

No reason to single out Goodfellas.

fuck you.

Cold Truth
44851 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 10:56 AM

33. "I must have imagined all the these other mob movies, buddy."
In response to Reply # 29

I didn't realize Goodfellas was the only one, as opposed to the biggest/best/most influential of the last 30 years.

By the logic of maxx, soulfunk, and uourself, the only reason Goodfellas exists is because of the Godfather. Then, of course, THAT exists because of Mario Puzzo. He only exists because his dad fucked his mom. They were probably Catholic which means condoms weren't allowed.

So in continuing your logic, The Sopranos only exists because the Pope hates birth control and Mario Puzzos Catholic dad fucked Mario Puzzos Catholic mom.

Makes total sense.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 11:02 AM

34. "I agree that all mob movies contributed but I think Goodfellas does have"
In response to Reply # 33

more influence than others because even pre-Sopranos was recognized as the suburban middle management version of the Godfather.

>I didn't realize Goodfellas was the only one, as opposed to
>the biggest/best/most influential of the last 30 years.
>
>By the logic of maxx, soulfunk, and uourself, the only reason
>Goodfellas exists is because of the Godfather. Then, of
>course, THAT exists because of Mario Puzzo. He only exists
>because his dad fucked his mom. They were probably Catholic
>which means condoms weren't allowed.
>
>So in continuing your logic, The Sopranos only exists because
>the Pope hates birth control and Mario Puzzos Catholic dad
>fucked Mario Puzzos Catholic mom.
>
>Makes total sense.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

Cold Truth
44851 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 11:15 AM

35. "The influence is undeniable. I'm not arguing that"
In response to Reply # 34

But it's much lower down the list of contributing factors than people want to believe. It's not even the the biggest reason for the success of the show. That title inarguably goes To James Gandolfini. It best, Goodfellas is the fifth most influential element on the show.

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 03:20 PM

16. "Snark aside, maxx is right"
In response to Reply # 5

>At any rate, Sopranos revolutionized television as we know
>it. Oz laid the foundation, lobbed a solid pitch, but the
>Sopranos hit that shit out of the park.

From using pop songs to set the tone, to the actors, to the smpathetic/brutal dichotomy. The influence is undeniable

Cold Truth
44851 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 03:37 PM

18. "No he isn't. Goodfellas had zero to do with the birth of The Sopranos"
In response to Reply # 16

The end product certainly shows the fingerprints of Goodfellas influence, but the creation of the series had nothing to do with Goodfellas. I'm not expressing an opinion.

Chase is on record about his relationship with his mother, Italian men and their mothers, The Simpsons, and Italian American identity in correlation to their portrayal in American media being the genesis of The Sopranos.

Goodfellas was a heavy influence on the end product, but in no way did it "give birth" to The Sopranos. Those are two very different distinctions.

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 08:20 AM

20. "You're taking "give birth" way too literally. Yes if you ask David Chase..."
In response to Reply # 18

"gave birth" to the Sopranos it's gonna line up with the things you mentioned. But the Sopranos actually getting greenlit, produced, made, and then becoming so popular has to do with other things outside of David Chase's control. If Goodfellas was never made then the Sopranos likely wouldn't have made it to the screen. You could say the same thing about Oz. In the HBO executives minds (the people who actually made the show happen outside of Chase's ideas) the Sopranos was basically Goodfellas in an Oz format.

Cold Truth
44851 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 08:26 AM

21. "lol. no. Goodfellas is not responsible for the Sopranos. stop. "
In response to Reply # 20

Goodfellas influenced the show.

The creation of the show had other, much more significant influences.

If I use the term "birth" too literally, you and Maxx use it way too loosely.

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 08:45 AM

28. "Maxx used the term. But I can read so I understand how he was using it."
In response to Reply # 21

Cold Truth
44851 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 10:41 AM

31. "Congrats on being literate. If you'd also learn to read about a subject..."
In response to Reply # 28

To discussing that subject, you'll be wrong less often. As it stands you're on some knee jerk shit, basically a member of the Gaye family talking about how it sounds the same despite documented evidence telling a different story.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 08:30 AM

22. "Godfather 1, 2, and 3 had as much to do w/Sopranos greenlighting"
In response to Reply # 20

as Goodfellas, if not more.

fuck you.

Cold Truth
44851 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 10:47 AM

32. "The DeCavalcante family would like a word with soulfunk"
In response to Reply # 22

They've also got a lot more to do with the creation of The Sopranos than Goodfellas.

So that puts Goodfellas down to, what, the #5 hand in the creation of The Sopranos?

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 11:28 AM

37. "you know?"
In response to Reply # 32

fuck you.

Actuals
Member since May 15th 2009
434 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 11:51 AM

6. "Scarface and Miami Vice"
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 12:33 PM

9. "Cooley High and What's Happening"
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 01:24 PM

10. "American Graffiti lead to Happy Days"
In response to Reply # 0

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 02:04 PM

11. "I was gonna mention both of the above"
In response to Reply # 10

but i think mitermaxx was speaking of cases where the show was as good as or better than the movie, and I'm not sure if either of these apply.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 02:15 PM

13. "Yeah, it's probably worth establishing first the notion of Movies"
In response to Reply # 11

birthing films before going to that next level of discussion.

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 02:06 PM

12. "New Jack City and NY Undercover"
In response to Reply # 0

hip hop cops, musical performances, same cultural moment

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 02:16 PM

14. "School Daze and Different World maybe"
In response to Reply # 0

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 02:21 PM

15. "not really: this was more a case of concurrency and the same"
In response to Reply # 14

casting director (Robi Reed) working both productions.

School Daze was being shot while A Different World was being developed.

kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Sun Apr-05-15 05:38 PM

19. "thought it was based off a book. "
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 08:31 AM

23. "Grapes of Wrath gave birth to I Love Lucy."
In response to Reply # 0

b/c they both have white ppl who are married.

fuck you.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 08:32 AM

24. "Birth of a Nation gave birth to Love and Hip-Hop."
In response to Reply # 0

i'll let y'all run w/that one.

fuck you.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 08:32 AM

25. "To Kill a Mockingbird gave birth to The Good Wife."
In response to Reply # 0

they're both about lawyers who have kids.

fuck you.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 08:33 AM

26. "Taxi Driver gave birth to Sesame Street."
In response to Reply # 0

b/c Frank Oz watched Taxi Driver and was disturbed by Jodi Foster and wanted to save all the little children from becoming prostitutes. Sesame Street started out as anti-prostitution propaganda.

fuck you.

Cold Truth
44851 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 11:17 AM

36. "^^^Just caught the holy spirit"
In response to Reply # 26

That's pretty much the logic behind the original premise.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 08:34 AM

27. "Color Purple gave birth to The View."
In response to Reply # 0

Barbara Walters saw Whoopi and created a talk show for Whoopi to take over several yrs into its run on daytime tv.

fuck you.

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 01:35 PM

38. "Airplane birthed Police Squad!"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm excluding animated

Lobby General Discussion topic #12772218 Previous topic | Next topic