Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12771176

Subject: "Who is the Longhorns fan who said to me maybe a year ago... " Previous topic | Next topic
KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 10:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who is the Longhorns fan who said to me maybe a year ago... "
Thu Apr-02-15 10:27 PM by KiloMcG

That they hoped Texas got Shaka Smart as their basketball coach because then the two major head coaches would be Strong and Smart?

I think it was j_stew, but I could be wrong.

But well, whoever it was, you got your wish, damnit.

Legsdiamond, let's pour a little out. We lost our homie.

Shaka Smart to Texas: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction | Bleacher Report
http://teamstre.am/1CYnb2d

Sorry for the shitty swipe, I'm on my phone.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yep, it was me.
Apr 03rd 2015
It's a sad day in Richmond.
Apr 03rd 2015
      he turned down UCLA but goes to Texas? WTF
Apr 03rd 2015
           $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Apr 03rd 2015
                it' more than just that with Shaka.
Apr 03rd 2015
                I know Texas has money on top of money but...
Apr 03rd 2015
I'M MAD AS SHIT!!!!!
Apr 03rd 2015
i'm trying to not be mad, i'm more sad.
Apr 03rd 2015
      damn.. I got nothin'
Apr 03rd 2015
           i feel you, fam.
Apr 03rd 2015
                they even offered Shaka a lifetime of free lap dances
Apr 03rd 2015
                     hahahaha
Apr 03rd 2015

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 04:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "yep, it was me."
In response to Reply # 0

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 06:07 AM

2. "It's a sad day in Richmond. "
In response to Reply # 1

One we knew would inevitably come, but at the same time hoped never would. I guess I was hoping that he wasn't quite satisfied with where the program had gotten, though it made huge strides during his tenure. I hope whoever we get to replace him can generate the same energy and excitement that Shaka was able to. New coach will be inheriting a talented young team.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79585 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 07:58 AM

4. "he turned down UCLA but goes to Texas? WTF"
In response to Reply # 2

Where do we go for our next coach?

Here is a nice lil list of possible candidates.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/atlantic-10/2015/4/2/8327207/shaka-smart-texas-vcu-candidates-replacements-who-next-coach#comments

This is our best recruiting class in a minute... I hope we don't lose any of them due to Shaka moving on.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 08:49 AM

8. "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"
In response to Reply # 4

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 08:57 AM

9. "it' more than just that with Shaka."
In response to Reply # 8

he's deferred big raises to have that money put in to the program and facilities at VCU. yes, the money is definitely a factor, but not the only one.

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 09:06 AM

10. "I know Texas has money on top of money but..."
In response to Reply # 8

other schools came running and had big money too...

then there is this article about Texas' AD who ran the Trailblazers into the ground...

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2015/04/canzano_shaka_smart_has_no_ide.html

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 07:41 AM

3. "I'M MAD AS SHIT!!!!! "
In response to Reply # 0

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 08:12 AM

5. "i'm trying to not be mad, i'm more sad. "
In response to Reply # 3

like i said, it feels like we lost a homie.

i'm happy for the man and grateful for what he's done at VCU. he took this program to a new level. we gotta get someone in who can continue that trajectory. i feel a little lost this morning as so much of our identity as a program and fan base was wrapped up in Shaka and the Havoc system.

i mean, does Havoc no longer live here? is it still Havoc you fear? what we gonna chant now at the Siegel Center?

so many questions.

and i think there's lots of reasons why this was the job for him. one being that as basketball coach at Texas there's a little less pressure than at a school that only has basketball to focus on, or focus more on, like UCLA and NC State. doubling his salary is certainly enticing. and Austin is probably a kickass town to live in. the facilities and recruiting base in Texas are great. so, lots of reasons.

it's a sad day in Ramnation. but we gotta continue to support with as much excitement and enthusiasm as we always have, or at least as we have these past 5-6 years.

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 08:35 AM

6. "damn.. I got nothin'"
In response to Reply # 5

I'm just... ionno.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 08:36 AM

7. "i feel you, fam."
In response to Reply # 6

legsdiamond
79585 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 09:07 AM

11. "they even offered Shaka a lifetime of free lap dances"
In response to Reply # 7

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/04/02/richmond-strip-clubs-offer-vcu-coach-shaka-smart-free-lap-dances-to-stay/

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 09:09 AM

12. "hahahaha"
In response to Reply # 11

i love RVA.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12771176 Previous topic | Next topic