Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12770174

Subject: "Alright, now the police are just trolling citizens. *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 08:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Alright, now the police are just trolling citizens. *swipe*"

fuckery. straight up unfiltered fuckery.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/woman-said-safety-was-reason-she-didn-t-pull-over/article_306f1051-5412-5267-898b-aadd0041aa57.html

VALPARAISO | Portage resident DelRea Good said she did not immediately pull over for the flashing lights behind her because, as a 52-year-old woman traveling alone at 11:21 p.m. on a dark county road, she was concerned for her safety.

Assuming the car behind her was a police officer, Good said she slowed her vehicle, put on her emergency flashers, waved her arm out the window to acknowledge the pursing car and continued for less than a mile where she pulled over into the lighted parking lot at the Kohl's department store in Portage.

The decision not to immediately stop resulted in her being handcuffed and taken to jail by Porter County Sheriff's Department Patrolman William Marshall on a felony charge of resisting arrest. It may also cost her her job, because a nurse cannot work after being convicted of a felony, she said.

"I felt I didn't do anything wrong," Good said. "I got to a safe place and I told him that."

Porter County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Larry LaFlower said, "The sheriff's office supports our officer's decision in this matter."

He cited state law requiring motorists to yield to emergency vehicles and said Marshall was driving a fully marked squad car and used the lights and siren.

Marshall wrote in the incident report he initiated the March 20 traffic stop just north of County Road 700 North on northbound County Road 500 West (Airport Road) after clocking Good's car traveling 54 mph in a 35 mph zone. Good told The Times she was unsure how fast she was driving.

Marshall acknowledged Good waved out her car window and turned on her flashers before pulling over less than a mile later in the store parking lot.

Good said Marshall was very angry as he approached her car and said to her, "What in the hell are you doing? I could arrest you for this."

Good said she was surprised by his reaction and told him to stop yelling at her.

Marshall described Good in his report as "highly agitated and uncooperative." She reportedly told him she was aware he was a police officer, but drove to where she felt safe.

"I don't care who you are I don't have to stop on a county road, I'm a single female," Marshall quoted her as saying.

After Good refused to listen to how her actions put her and others in danger, Marshall said he arrested her.

Good, who said she did not resist the arrest or make any further comments, claims the officer bruised her arm while leading her to his police car and continued to "bully" her at the jail by claiming Advil and other medications she had were controlled substances.

Good, who reportedly has no prior criminal record, said as a nurse, she is accustomed to following rules.

"I follow rules every day or people could get hurt," she said.

She is scared about the impact of a felony conviction, but said the issue is bigger than just herself.

"This is serious," she said. "This could be your mom, your sister, your daughter next time."

Defense attorney Bob Harper, who is representing Good, said her concerns about pulling over along a dark county road are not unwarranted.

He referred to a case in 1991 where a woman pulled over in Valparaiso for a car with flashing red lights and was attacked by a man pretending to be a police officer.

Portage police issued a warning two years ago after someone using flashing red and blue lights, possibly impersonating a police officer, tried to get a woman to pull over.

Portage Police Sgt. Keith Hughes said at the time the woman used good judgment by not stopping for the man.

He recommended drivers call 911 if they question who is attempting to pull them over and if unable to reach a dispatcher, acknowledge the officer by waving at them and then drive to a well-lit public location before stopping and tell the officer about your concern.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
they really need to screen these guys psychologically
Apr 02nd 2015
This is so real. I hope this is thrown out
Apr 02nd 2015
that's fucked.
Apr 02nd 2015
Ridiculous.
Apr 02nd 2015
let a black man wave out the window; they'll say he was brandishin' a
Apr 02nd 2015
This is what got her the felony charge....
Apr 02nd 2015
and Mike Brown said that Wilson was too much of a pussy to shoot.
Apr 02nd 2015
Trolling OR the media is just starting to pay attention to these stories...
Apr 02nd 2015
it's like people think police brutality or abuse of authority
Apr 02nd 2015
Same thing more or less happened to my mom
Apr 02nd 2015
A cop in Chicago handcuffed my mom in front of the grandkids
Apr 02nd 2015

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 09:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "they really need to screen these guys psychologically"
In response to Reply # 0

a lot of these cops think they are the law, etc. if someone doesn't do exactly what they want them to do in the exact moment they want it, they feel the need to flex their power.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 09:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This is so real. I hope this is thrown out"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-02-15 09:09 AM by DaHeathenOne76

You can buy those uniforms at the Army/Navy Store
She acknowledge his presence turned on her flashers and went to a safe place.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/san-antonio-cuffed-raped-19-year-old-traffic-stop-police-article-1.1527459

http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/29/anti-rape-tips-for-women-in-oklahoma

NOPE
http://www.iamsharandajones.org/help

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 09:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "that's fucked."
In response to Reply # 0

if she's got no criminal history i expect the resisting charge to go away and she'll plead guilty to speeding and pay a fine.

fuck you.

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 09:26 AM

4. "Ridiculous. "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-02-15 09:28 AM by TheAlbionist

She'd clearly made all sorts of efforts to let the guy know what she was doing, he even admits he saw her arm out of the window and the hazard lights going... it was a perfectly reasonable and rational thing to do being a single female on a quiet road - she only led him less than a mile!

The "Them and Us" angle of Policing is getting ever more ingrained into both of our societies... more and more Police seem more interested in getting someone in the back of their cruiser on a technicality than they do in using the law to reduce conflict and unpleasantness within society... they are not supposed to use ANY given opportunity to find a reason to treat us like shit. Laws are made for reasons - to stop bad, damaging and anti-social behaviour. This wasn't bad behaviour; it was entirely sensible behaviour. Using the letter of the law to punish it is the mark of an extremely petty and short-sighted Police organisation who should be able to make reasonable exceptions where it's blindingly fucking obvious like this.

Stories on both side of the pond are making it extremely difficult to not side-eye anyone wearing a badge these days. What the fuck do you think you're representing and why are you happy to represent it?

))<>((
forever.

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 09:27 AM

5. "let a black man wave out the window; they'll say he was brandishin' a"
In response to Reply # 0

weapon

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 09:40 AM

6. "This is what got her the felony charge...."
In response to Reply # 0

<
"I don't care who you are I don't have to stop on a county road, I'm a single female," Marshall quoted her as saying.
<

How dare she question his authoritah

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 11:58 AM

10. "and Mike Brown said that Wilson was too much of a pussy to shoot. "
In response to Reply # 6

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 09:45 AM

7. "Trolling OR the media is just starting to pay attention to these stories..."
In response to Reply # 0

And their are lots of stories.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 11:07 AM

8. "it's like people think police brutality or abuse of authority"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Apr-02-15 11:08 AM by astralblak

JUST became a thing!

nah bruh, it's been fundamental aspect of every social movement, and only intensified as the PIC grew

and now add cell phone cameras there are just more stories getting shine about it

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 11:56 AM

9. "Same thing more or less happened to my mom"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-02-15 11:57 AM by Atillah Moor

She didn't get arrested which is good because that would mean I'd probably get arrested, but the officer was equally rude and gave some horseshit tickets in addition to the minor moving violation.

The judge threw out the horseshit ticket in court. I think the same will happen for this woman-- it will just be an annoying process.

Seriously the police will accept anyone as long as the individual desires to be brainwashed and not use common sense. Oh and you have to have some kind of hatred for yourself as well as society.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 12:03 PM

11. "A cop in Chicago handcuffed my mom in front of the grandkids"
In response to Reply # 9

She was following the flow of traffic and apparently they coned off a lane but she didn't know.

She is outside the car explaining this to an officer when a female officer pulled up late to the scene, jumped out and got all rah rah and cuffed her to show she was one of the boys.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12770174 Previous topic | Next topic