Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12769819

Subject: "Wale on the Breakfast Club" Previous topic | Next topic
Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28839 posts
Wed Apr-01-15 04:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Wale on the Breakfast Club"
Wed Apr-01-15 04:53 PM by Kira

http://www.power1051fm.com/media/play/wale-interview-with-the-breakfast-club-25933493/

Let's discuss this interview.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
other wale better
Apr 01st 2015
He lost me with a lot of the black/white shit
Apr 01st 2015
yeah he's a good writer
Apr 01st 2015
RE: He lost me with a lot of the black/white shit
Apr 01st 2015
^^^^^^^^
Apr 03rd 2015
      RE: ^^^^^^^^
Apr 03rd 2015
           I think Wale had a point, I say that in the beginning, I thought the exa...
Apr 03rd 2015
           RE: I think Wale had a point, I say that in the beginning, I thought the...
Apr 03rd 2015
                Great counter example. They way they pushed her was wrong
Apr 03rd 2015
           and ur def right about having to thru urban... which again in Sam Smith'...
Apr 03rd 2015
                RE: and ur def right about having to thru urban... which again in Sam Sm...
Apr 03rd 2015
                     agree, I def get why they do it
Apr 03rd 2015
Wales got a kanye sized ego with
Apr 01st 2015
I have a better grasp of who Wale is after this interview and the Billbo...
Apr 02nd 2015
I think you summed him up nicely,
Apr 03rd 2015
Have a hard time enjoying anything about this cat
Apr 02nd 2015
"Mothers dress their child like the man that left them"
Apr 03rd 2015
he got that shit from a meme, don't give him too much credit
Apr 03rd 2015
      Damnit!
Apr 03rd 2015
"I can be Kid AND Play" has me crying
Apr 03rd 2015
can he go back to being a hypebeast darling?
Apr 03rd 2015
Hypebeasts are going through a self-hate/denial phase
Apr 03rd 2015

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43351 posts
Wed Apr-01-15 06:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "other wale better"
In response to Reply # 0

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Wed Apr-01-15 07:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "He lost me with a lot of the black/white shit"
In response to Reply # 0

Not saying theres zero truth to some of it...

But the Sam Smith thing... Charlamane has the perfect response, mentioning "All Of Me". Wale then mentions shooting percentage, like "Ordinary People" wasnt just as big back then.

Talking about how Katy Perry isnt knocking on this persons door, ignoring the Juicy J mention by Yee

The Macklemore vs Royce thing... Yes Royce murders Mack as a rapper (Royce happens to be my favorite rapper right now and I despise Macklemore) but that's a no shit comment. Royce also is 50x the mc Wale is. But the point is, Macklemore isn't the only mildly talented MC making hits. Numerous trash rappers making hits (kid ink, tyga, etc) Macklemore's whiteness has obviously helped tho

It just seems like he does not appreciate his own success, he thinks he should be Jay-Z big, when he's done pretty damn well. There are more talented rappers who make more accessible music that have not gotten near as far as Wale. But he's hating that he hasn't went further... It's odd

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Wed Apr-01-15 07:31 PM

3. "yeah he's a good writer"
In response to Reply # 2

and i like some of his songs.

but he's not gonna be mount rushmore.
and he should be able to live with that.

i mean he's a pretty lucky dude.
compared to some of his peers whose careers never took off.
and you know he wasn't the best from that freshman class.
and he's not even a likable personality with all his outbursts and what not.

be happy wale.
you pay two mortgages with your rap money.
that is an accomplishment.

i have not heard the interview but i usually cosign any diss sentiments directed towards macklemore...lol. he's not a good rapper and then he compensates with the he's such a "great guy" type character that it rubs me all the wrong way.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Wed Apr-01-15 08:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: He lost me with a lot of the black/white shit"
In response to Reply # 2

Ordinary People Peaked at #24 on Billboard

All Of Me was Numero Uno..

It's the biggest song of his career by faaaaaaaaarrrrrrr

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14012 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 12:03 PM

12. "^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 4

>Ordinary People Peaked at #24 on Billboard
>
>All Of Me was Numero Uno..
>
>It's the biggest song of his career by faaaaaaaaarrrrrrr

rjc27, where you at? What's that you were saying about ignoring good points? lol

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

double 0
7005 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 12:31 PM

13. "RE: ^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 12

I mean.. I think he has a point. The equivalencies weren't the best though..

The REAL issue regarding black performed music and radio (in the IS) is something Ebro has discussed before though. The path to pop for a black artist in the US almost ALWAYS has to go through Urban, Urban A/C channels. Any number of things can happen that keep a record from "crossing over" (run out of money, ppl lose interest, another "like" record in its slot etc).

When Sam Smith has a record he starts at Z100. When John Legend has a record he HAS to start at Urban or Urban A/C. The path to pop for a black artist in the US almost ALWAYS has to go through Urban, Urban A/C channels. Any number of things can happen that keep a record from "crossing over" (run out of money, ppl lose interest etc).

Most white pop artists never have to worry about crossing over unless it's in the reverse (Lorde, Iggy going to Urban AFTER they've blown).

There are people who break this mold obviously. Nicki, Beyonce, Rihanna go straight to pop radio because of the size of their audience.

What he doesn't say though is by adding and streaming, youtube views to chart calculations songs can fully circumvent urban now as well (If the audience is big enough). They can also do it by going international first (although that eliminates a lot of rap songs since they might not translate well overseas)

Specifically, for a rapper/s it is hard. But Fetty Wap, Shmurda, OT Genasis are definitively proving it can be done again by smashing the internet metrics

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 01:20 PM

14. "I think Wale had a point, I say that in the beginning, I thought the exa..."
In response to Reply # 13

were weak...

Yes, Sam Smith got the machine behind him, big time, I've been a fan for a while and was shocked at how relatively unknown he was when he got SNL, then performed stay with me and the song really took off. People loved the SONG though, that is still always the key, the song has to be good, it's a great song (even tho I never want to hear it again)

Double O obviously has a lot more experience with the "politics" of the game to me, but I think Sam Smith was a good example of the advantages of a record label even today. We hear about how good the indy hustle is but the machine really got behind Sam (after a few years of grinding his way up on his own) and pushed him to a huge level. Their job is to make money, not sure these record exec's care who's the one making them the money

I make the argument all the time *if so and so made this song it wouldnt get spins* but I don't think it's necessarily a black/white thing...

If Ester Dean releases a single as an artist it may get no spins on "urban radio" same record goes to Rihanna it's top 10. Joe Budden released a single a few years ago "NBA" with Wiz and French. If Kid Ink releases that same record it gets play, joe budden it doesnt, thats just the way it is. So saying "if Tank wrote this song" no shit, I mean, when ur around for 10 plus years u get pigeonholed, I love Tank, but his crossover into top 40 obviously ain't happening ever.

Sam Smith blows up, and here comes Jessie Ware, basically the female version, releases two beautiful singles "tough love" and "say you love me" in that same vein (same song writing team and everything) and it doesnt even make a dent in America.

Sam Smith just hit the right way, it happens for some white artists, it happens for some black artists... race is a big issue in a lot of things, but using it the way Wale is here is lazy in my opinion.

And this all stems back to my main point, which is Wale comes off a little ungrateful. Be happy you're in that proverbial "second tier" that Charlamagne brings up.

double 0
7005 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 02:06 PM

16. "RE: I think Wale had a point, I say that in the beginning, I thought the..."
In response to Reply # 14

It still kind of is a black/white thing in the US. I connect it more to the fans though than "the industry". The industry goes where the money is.

Sam smith is a gay brit that sounds like a black woman. That juxtaposition is MUCH more interesting than a Black woman who sounds like a black woman (we've seen that before. It's the norm).

Take an artist like Emeli Sande.. She came after Adele and before Sam. The brits have been breaking songwriters by putting them on dance records. Once that goes they prep the solo album. They have most of the same writers (Naughty Boy) and she SMASHED in UK (2million + sold).

Same system at Capitol w/ Steve barnett. They attempted to break her here before Sam. FIRST thing they do is put Kendrick Lamar on her record and start at... guess where Urban. She was opening for John L, Marsha etc...

She is a pop artist through and through. But because she is a black woman (and doesnt look like Rihanna) they go Urban A/C first.

Didn't work

There are always exceptions to the rule and the BIGGEST stars in the music world are black. There is an issue though.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 03:52 PM

20. "Great counter example. They way they pushed her was wrong"
In response to Reply # 16

>Take an artist like Emeli Sande.. She came after Adele and
>before Sam. The brits have been breaking songwriters by
>putting them on dance records. Once that goes they prep the
>solo album. They have most of the same writers (Naughty Boy)
>and she SMASHED in UK (2million + sold).
>
>Same system at Capitol w/ Steve barnett. They attempted to
>break her here before Sam. FIRST thing they do is put
>Kendrick Lamar on her record and start at... guess where
>Urban. She was opening for John L, Marsha etc...
>
>She is a pop artist through and through. But because she is a
>black woman (and doesnt look like Rihanna) they go Urban A/C
>first.
>
>Didn't work
>

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 01:26 PM

15. "and ur def right about having to thru urban... which again in Sam Smith'..."
In response to Reply # 13

kind of coincidentally happened anyway when "Latch" ended up in heavy rotation on urban radio...

I was actually surprised at how "pop" Sam's album was, was really expecting him to go more rnb.

In general, it's just difficult to end up being the type of artist who can get played heavily on urban radio and on z100, which is why I think stations like Hot 97 do hip-hop a disservice by wasting a rotation spot on Katy Perry.

@rob_starrk

double 0
7005 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 02:14 PM

17. "RE: and ur def right about having to thru urban... which again in Sam Sm..."
In response to Reply # 15

Radio is the most well researched in our industry when it comes to audience. You may think it's weird Katy or Latch is on Urban but gurantee you the larger audience wants it an appreciates it.

A radio station has a very specific listener profile. They can say easily.. our listener is an 18-25 year old mexican girl who drives a honda accord to work as a phlebotomist. She goes to westside (nyc) clubs every weekend and drinks ciroc w/ pineapple. That person listens to Katy Perry, Beyonce, August Alsina and Drake.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 02:39 PM

18. "agree, I def get why they do it"
In response to Reply # 17

and it would be bad biz if they didn't, but doesnt mean I have to like it

jswerve386
Member since Jun 25th 2007
8979 posts
Wed Apr-01-15 08:36 PM

5. "Wales got a kanye sized ego with"
In response to Reply # 2

minimal success. Hes a B/B+ list rapper and never will be A list.. nigga needs to stay in his lane and be the best B level rapper he can be.

yupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyup

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28839 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 01:24 AM

6. "I have a better grasp of who Wale is after this interview and the Billbo..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6516931/wale-drugs-depression-the-album-about-nothing-interview

Wale's antics early in his career gave him a label that he never shakes anytime in the future. Having listened to this album the spoken word poetry moments stand out as revelations into the man Wale is in 2015.With that said, the Pessimist is the perfect song for this entire era of killing black men. In a way this entire situation is hopeless.

Dude seems depressed that he's not in the top tier of MCs in his age range in this interview. Considering his content, apparent attitude, and record label he should be thankful he's made it this far. BE CLEAR: J. Cole is the superior MC to Wale. Wale is like a more popular Joe Budden going through a Mood Muzik phase on a major label dealing with social media reading comments but without the raw heartfelt emotion coming through on the records. I knew Joe Budden would make it through his phase. I'm not so sure Wale comes out of this the same way he went in and it's kind of scary to listen to.

How do y'all feel about the album about nothing?

connectpoliticditto
Member since Aug 29th 2006
2739 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 04:03 PM

22. "I think you summed him up nicely,"
In response to Reply # 6

although I would say I was way more excited about Wale than J.Cole based on the 100 Miles & Running mixtape and even, to a slightly lesser degree, the Mixtape About Nothing...he was spitting on both of those.

His major label debut seemed to be the beginning of the end, though.

Even though J.Cole's debut album wasn't the best either, he bounced back a lot better than Wale did IMO.

soken
Member since Aug 31st 2009
763 posts
Thu Apr-02-15 08:20 AM

7. "Have a hard time enjoying anything about this cat"
In response to Reply # 0

period.

we keep it moving,

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 09:51 AM

8. ""Mothers dress their child like the man that left them""
In response to Reply # 0

I felt that. I don't normally rock with Wale but I'm digging this interview.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Kim Jong Trill
Member since Jan 31st 2012
548 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 10:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "he got that shit from a meme, don't give him too much credit "
In response to Reply # 8

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 11:38 AM

11. "Damnit! "
In response to Reply # 9

Now I feel like an ass. Damn you WALE. Just when I gave you a lil respect. Well he is talking about it so I'll give him a lil bit but I'm taking back a few points. Thanks for the heads up.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 10:36 AM

10. ""I can be Kid AND Play" has me crying"
In response to Reply # 0

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 02:58 PM

19. "can he go back to being a hypebeast darling?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 03:55 PM

21. "Hypebeasts are going through a self-hate/denial phase"
In response to Reply # 19

>
Kinda hilarious to watch the hypebeast gen trying hard to give the impression that they have "matured"

Lobby General Discussion topic #12769819 Previous topic | Next topic