Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12767694

Subject: "What have your experiences been with Uber?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: What have your experiences been with Uber?"

New Yorkers, I'm particularly interested in your experiences, for obvious reasons.

But overall, I finally installed the app, and am debating its use.

I feel like I'm part of the problem.

Poll result (17 votes)
Very positive (15 votes)Vote
Positive (1 votes)Vote
Okay (0 votes)Vote
Not so great (0 votes)Vote
Awful (0 votes)Vote
An Über driving got me pregnant while I was passed out in the back seat. (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Better than Taxi, Lyft, etc
Mar 31st 2015
still mostly positive
Mar 31st 2015
No problems
Mar 31st 2015
i use it to hail taxis in Chicago.
Mar 31st 2015
I'm here for the Black Car
Mar 31st 2015
mostly positive
Mar 31st 2015
Fairly good.
Mar 31st 2015
great. and here's the secret....don't be a dick
Mar 31st 2015
No, this was exactly what I was hoping for: candid feedback
Mar 31st 2015
There's a couple of posts about this already. But mine has been great
Mar 31st 2015
NONE OF THOSE POSTS WERE MADE BY ME THEREFORE THEY ARE MOOT
Mar 31st 2015
As great as it is, I don't see it lasting long
Mar 31st 2015
its dominant in DC
Mar 31st 2015
it'll have most trouble in cities where taxi drivers are unionized.
Mar 31st 2015
it's international now
Mar 31st 2015
its a global company, and its thriving
Mar 31st 2015
shit, I only take Uber when I'm out of the country for work
Mar 31st 2015
*hangs head*
Mar 31st 2015
I take Uber & Lyft everywhere. minimal horror stories
Mar 31st 2015
RE: What have your experiences been with Uber?
Mar 31st 2015

soken
Member since Aug 31st 2009
763 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Better than Taxi, Lyft, etc"
In response to Reply # 0

Always had the best experience. Even picked up piff, few bottles and groceries off it. Very convenient.

we keep it moving,

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 09:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "still mostly positive"
In response to Reply # 0

its definitely still harder to get an uber in "out of the way" places far bklyn/mid queens

had one driver act like he check in tried to call me
(um the reason i use this is not to talk on the phone bub)
drive past my location and did not unhook himself from the ride.

apparently you get negative point for canceling or something which forced me to then cancel

but it was only once
and i've used it quite a few times before and after
very convenient still
no longer cheaper than yellow cabs/livery cabs though
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 09:30 AM

3. "No problems"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-31-15 09:54 AM by Cam

I mostly use UberX-Taxi or UberX, I'll use Black or SUV if I'm with a group, and Black seems to be the only thing available when I need to get to the airport in a rush.

If the momentary surge price is ridiculous, no big deal, I'll take the train or a regular cab instead.

My only negative experience was with a driver who never showed up, yet charged me a no-show fee. I got in touch with Uber the next day to explain his error, they refunded me the charge and added a $20 credit.

Also,
Thanks to Uber (and the green cabs), it's now very rare for a regular taxi to refuse my fare...due to my Negroness/Brooklyness.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 09:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "i use it to hail taxis in Chicago."
In response to Reply # 0

i have used it for arrange rides in private cars a few times - i much prefer to use taxis.

it works great w/taxis.

i was at a concert full of hipsters and bohos a few weeks ago. after the show let out the streets outside were filled w/taxis - and the overwhelming majority had been hailed via Uber or some similar app. granted, this concert was in a neighborhood that's in the throes of gentrification (see: Pilsen http://gawker.com/this-is-the-williamsburg-of-your-city-a-map-of-hip-ame-1460243062) so i understand why ppl were using an app to get a cab. but still...it was an eye opener. i had a similar experience late last year outside a club downtown after it had let out - streets full of private cars and black cars hailed on Uber or some other app(s). taxis looking to pick up a fare on the street were choked out. customers who wanted to hail a cab the old fashioned way were boxed out by the hordes of ppl (read: wet-behind-the-ears-20-somethings) clutching phones and looking for their arranged ride.

i have given myself over and accepted Uber as my new private transportation overlord. but i don't use it to arrange private cars b/c i don't like riding in random ppl's cars. i should explore the black car situation more often. especially b/c i am about that backseat-of-a-black-SUV life.

fuck you.

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 12:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. " I'm here for the Black Car"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Mar-31-15 12:36 PM by DaHeathenOne76

Uber overchanges for coming into the hoodie hood (I get it).

But the Black Sedan with a properly dressed driver. IM HERE FOR ALLLLLL OF IT

http://www.metrocars.com/after-hours.html
http://www.iamsharandajones.org/help

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 09:34 AM

5. "mostly positive"
In response to Reply # 0

and i know they have a lot going on/getting a lot of flak but as a person of color trying to get a cab, i gotta keep it on my phone

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

ChiBrownSkinLady
Member since Nov 14th 2002
30211 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 09:49 AM

6. "Fairly good."
In response to Reply # 0

I prefer it to cabs. I think there are more checks and balances overall. And since I tend to use UberX, it's generally cheaper. If surge pricing's out of control, I usually just use the taxi function instead. But I've used it in DC, Chicago, LA, and NYC without any real issues. I was just surprised the UberX's were all black cars in NYC the last time I visit.

Just tryna do the best that I can with what it is I have...

MrThomas43423
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
67613 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 11:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "great. and here's the secret....don't be a dick"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-31-15 11:12 AM by MrThomas43423

Uber drivers can rate you as a customer and your rating makes a difference. apparently mine is a 4.8. they're not supposed to tell you that, but one guy did after he was calling me and really going the extra mile to make sure i barely had to walk to get to him. i got in the car and he was like, you know why i did that....cause you have a great rating. i've only heard of one person having a 4.9 and the driver who told her that told her he's never seen anyone with a 4.9. (yes i'm proud of my Uber rating.)

so if you're cool...they're cool. sometimes cool is engaging in lite conversation. sometimes being cool is riding in silence (which i personally have no fucking problem with). sometimes being cool is laughing and joking the whole ride. just yesterday there was this old Ghanaian man who was my driver. and i almost silently seethed at him from the back seat (we can rate the drivers too, and i'd rather just be quiet and give you a 4 than act a fool right then and there) cause instead of driving this man answered his phone. which is cool, but it was affecting his driving. and i pay for that. for every second he couldn't multi-task it cost me money. but he got off the phone and his daughter was expecting her first child. in labor...in the hospital. i was going to be his last fare before he was heading over that, and that opened up a fantastic time. we were laughing and shit. we talked mortgages and real estate. it was cool.

the bad...its not your shit. some people's cars are funky cause of the *fill in whatever spice here* coming out of their pores. i rode with a dude today who's breath smelled hungry. he must not have had breakfast, and it smelled as such. some people can't drive. most driver's don't drive as fast as i would, cause i like to speed, but still...some are ridiculously slow. some don't listen. you tell them....i'll tell you where to go, and they'll argue for the address and then act like they can't drive without it. little Indian men are the most anal about that. but again....at this point they trust me cause i have a high rating.

that was alot. but basically treat it with the same respect as you would if a friend was picking you up...they value that and it makes a difference. and then if you're displeased with the ride rate that ass when you leave.
---------------------------------------
it's true what they say...people are strange, when you're strangers.

not compassionate....only polite.

I am not like you at all and i cannot pretend.

Mongo
45670 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 11:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "No, this was exactly what I was hoping for: candid feedback"
In response to Reply # 7

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 11:12 AM

9. "There's a couple of posts about this already. But mine has been great "
In response to Reply # 0

Atl. I've used it about 6 times in Nyc. It was fine up there too just way more expensive than my ATL rides

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Mongo
45670 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 11:13 AM

10. "NONE OF THOSE POSTS WERE MADE BY ME THEREFORE THEY ARE MOOT"
In response to Reply # 9

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "As great as it is, I don't see it lasting long"
In response to Reply # 0

Due to regulations, Taxi companies really going extra hard in certain cities, and all it will take is a few negative stories to give it a bad overall perception. Or maybe it'll thrive in certain markets, but never become dominant?

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

MrThomas43423
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
67613 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 11:56 AM

12. "its dominant in DC"
In response to Reply # 11

its made taxi companies struggle and a lot of the drivers left for Uber.
---------------------------------------
it's true what they say...people are strange, when you're strangers.

not compassionate....only polite.

I am not like you at all and i cannot pretend.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 11:59 AM

13. "it'll have most trouble in cities where taxi drivers are unionized."

i say that b/c that's been the fight here in Chicago - Uber vs the taxi driver union.

fuck you.

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 12:03 PM

14. "it's international now"

it's here to stay
even in NYC where the Taxi lobby is strong, they couldn't do it

they incorporated the metered boro cabs into their system which probably helped their case but they started to charge a fee to hail those so i only use uber to get a green cab if there's surge pricing and i can't find one on the street

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 12:09 PM

16. "its a global company, and its thriving "

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Very-Effortless
Member since May 07th 2011
7452 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 12:12 PM

17. "shit, I only take Uber when I'm out of the country for work"

Esp in Mexico City and Brazil. It's easier than trying to communicate directions in broken Spanish and portuguese

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Green Mile is a movie where the magical black man wrongly dies and the white man who let it happen lives forever.

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12151 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 12:03 PM

15. "*hangs head*"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a problem. I use uber 8-10x/week. I'm in need of uber rehab.

Anyway... my experience has been overwhelmingly positive... particularly if I'm in BK/uptown/NJ going to ___. It varies a bit more if you originate in Manhattan and is more often subject to surge pricing but that's the trade-off.

Last night, for instance, I had a driver pick me up at home (Clinton Hill) to take me to a bar in Bed Stuy and not only was he super nice and friendly (he had bottled water for passengers), he gave me a Hershey's Kiss when I got out. I thought that was cute. 5 stars homie.

I've also used uber in a bunch of major cities around the world (e.g., Stockholm, London, LA) and have had similar experiences.

Very, very rarely have I had an 'issue.'

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 12:15 PM

18. "I take Uber & Lyft everywhere. minimal horror stories"
In response to Reply # 0

my rating is probably shitty because I have no tolerance for poor navigation when you're a foreigner with GPS. one dude had me lost in the Hollywood Hills blocks away from picking up more passengers and another one this past weekend couldn't find me no matter how good my directions were

the main thing to be wary of is holidays. New Year's Eve surcharges are the worst. A $20 ride becomes $50 just because they can charge it

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 12:22 PM

19. "RE: What have your experiences been with Uber?"
In response to Reply # 0

Great! No real issues...

There have been 2 times though in Hollywood where the maps don't line up and the uber driver is like a full block away but it says he is where he is supposed to be..

Other than that good money

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #12767694 Previous topic | Next topic