Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12764010

Subject: "white mans books are inherently more knowledgy." Previous topic | Next topic
Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 01:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"white mans books are inherently more knowledgy."

for my USC is OBVIOUSLY a better school then Howard! types

I will grant that in the advanced sciences or fields, your typical PWI has more money & facilities to really expand the knowledge in the field, so serious students in the graduate or PHD courses would go to that institution rather than the best of the HBCUs. i will grant that.

but undergrad?

no niggas.

NO.

the shit they are learning in Freshman English 101 @ Harvard is of the same quality and caliber & level as the shit being taught in its equivalent @ Howard or SpelHouse.

no Harvard isnt better than Howard & idgaf what us news & world reports rankings say.

in fact for obvious reasons I submit that Howard is clearly the better school esp for your typical lost in the sauce trying to figure out their life ass teenger of the Black persuasion.

now. talk amongst yourselves. i have weights to lift.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this is all wrong, but i'm still riding with you 100%
Mar 26th 2015
I think there was a time Howard was better than Harvard
Mar 26th 2015
lawd my people. this must be how harriet tubman felt.
Mar 26th 2015
I'll give you "More" as in pure numbers
Mar 26th 2015
      but they SHOULD be @ Howard. thats the point
Mar 26th 2015
RE: I think there was a time Howard was better than Harvard
Mar 26th 2015
'text books'...LOL.
Mar 26th 2015
depended on the class at GT
Mar 26th 2015
when was this time? lol
Mar 26th 2015
to be clear, my opinion on the matter is regarding MY child/ren...
Mar 26th 2015
I think this concept has been taken a little too far
Mar 26th 2015
i have family who graduated from lower ranked schools
Mar 26th 2015
      Yeah... to Bin's point though, USC isn't necessarily better than Howard
Mar 26th 2015
           probably. but i dunno.
Mar 26th 2015
naw.
Mar 26th 2015
Cornell West taught at Harvard and Princeton, not Howard and Hampton...
Mar 26th 2015
I am pretty sure Cornell West was a terrible instructor.
Mar 26th 2015
      He took a whole month off from classes to help with a presidential campa...
Mar 26th 2015
Nah they're not the same... at all
Mar 26th 2015
believe you I do not. more people you do need. - hatin ass yoda nm
Mar 26th 2015
Why Am I Always Defending My HBCU Education to Other Black People?
Mar 27th 2015
SPEAK ON IT!!!!
Mar 27th 2015
i dont know about hbcu's
Mar 27th 2015

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 01:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this is all wrong, but i'm still riding with you 100%"
In response to Reply # 0

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 01:41 PM

2. "I think there was a time Howard was better than Harvard"
In response to Reply # 0

When the best option for every smart black person in the entire country was to go to Howard, I think it had the highest concentration of smart people in the country period.

But now Harvard has the ability to attract the smartest black people.

Text books might be all the same at all these schools but what separates schools IMHOP is peer group. Just being around the best and the brightest challenges you to be the best and the brightest.

BTW, I don't think Harvard has the best undergrad because it's too big and many of its class are being taught by grad students, and it's focus is it's grad school.

I think the best undergrad is a school that's more of a pure undergrad play like Princeton.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 01:50 PM

4. "lawd my people. this must be how harriet tubman felt."
In response to Reply # 2

NO. NO the "smartest" Black people arent @ Harvard

there are some really driven hard working people @ harvard of all races & cultures.

there are more driven hard working Black people...@ Howard.

there are more...and its a more welcoming yet just as challenging environment.

nope!

rejecting your logic, sir.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 02:14 PM

5. "I'll give you "More" as in pure numbers"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Mar-26-15 02:15 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

I think the smartest black people if given the opportunity, overwhelmingly go to the 3 or 4 US News Report Top schools in the country cause they can.

Because Howard has a bigger black population than harvard, I'll give you that there are more smart black people at Howard.

In grad school there were probably just as many black people from HBCUs as the Ivys...But it was a PWI Grad School.

>NO. NO the "smartest" Black people arent @ Harvard
>
>there are some really driven hard working people @ harvard of
>all races & cultures.
>
>there are more driven hard working Black people...@ Howard.
>
>there are more...and its a more welcoming yet just as
>challenging environment.
>
>nope!
>
>rejecting your logic, sir.
>
>
>does it really matter?
>
>wonder what bin's doing?
>http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 02:19 PM

6. "but they SHOULD be @ Howard. thats the point"
In response to Reply # 5

they go to Harvard because they can. great. they think harvard is better. its not. thats the thing.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 03:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "RE: I think there was a time Howard was better than Harvard"
In response to Reply # 2

What does Pure undergrad mean? a School with no graduate program?

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 03:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "'text books'...LOL."
In response to Reply # 2

the only text books used at my school were in certain introductory-level science classes ("Physics for Poets", et al). otherwise we didn't use text books - only original source material.

i never took an "English class" at my school but in my Humanities classes we read nothing but novels and had discussions about them. there was no text book.

maybe it's like this at other schools too.

fuck you.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35208 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 05:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "depended on the class at GT"
In response to Reply # 11

A small majority of my Biology and Psychology classes 2000 level and above had text books

Most of those textbooks could get you in the B/C range for a grade without outside reading, the rest seemed like topical arrangements for the professor and nothing more.

Material for completing assignments was expected to come from primary research.

Programming classes all had master texts, as did foreign language classes that were phonics based. Topical foreign language classes (composition, conversation, etc) did not.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35208 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 05:16 PM

19. "when was this time? lol"
In response to Reply # 2

Altho i will say you have to physically assault a professor during lecture to get anything less than a B at most Ivy schools

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 01:44 PM

3. "to be clear, my opinion on the matter is regarding MY child/ren..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm hoping to bring her up a LOT more aware and clear about how to achieve her dreams and goals than I was brought up.

So MANY times...the Black mantra is "Just go to college and get a degree...I don't care WHERE you go, just as long as you go."

I think that's kinda lame in many respects.....

and yeah....for your typical lost in the sauce trying to figure out their life ass teenger of the Black persuasion....I'd readily push them towards the right HBCU in a heartbeat.

"Seasons may come and your luck just may run out, and all that you'll have is some memories..."

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10883 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 03:08 PM

7. "I think this concept has been taken a little too far"
In response to Reply # 0

There are differences betwen undergrad institutions. The concepts are the same and IF YOU DO WELL, your choice of school will have little impact on your opportunities.

But what it takes to do well can be very different between schools. The workload, available resources and quality of students can be very different.

I mean, I got an engineering degree from MD and I've known or met engineering students at several HBCU's

I'd say FAMU's engineering education was on par with MD (but FAMU's engineering school is FSU). NC A&T was on par.

Howard, in my opinion, was not. The people I saw that transferred in said they were doing WAY more work at MD than they ever had to do at Howard. My cousin is there with a 3.8 and I know he's not getting as deep as I did at Maryland.

If you did really well at both, you could still get into just about any grad program you wanted, but I feel you'd be better prepared coming out of MD or any other school that has a rigourous engineering program.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 03:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "i have family who graduated from lower ranked schools"
In response to Reply # 7

and i am confident saying they didn't receive as rigorous education as i received at my alma mater. i have a cousin who graduated from a local STL university and sent me her resume to edit as she applied for jobs. i wanted to cry - the shit read like it was written by someone w/a 10th grade education. i didn't know how to fix it w/o completely rewriting it. b/c everything in it was wrong. everything.

meanwhile i learned how to prepare a resume at my alma mater. the right way. i ended up giving her some of the material i had from my school and letting her re-do the thing herself.

but that's just one example - a friend is currently finishing his undergrad degree at a local Chicago institution and he complains about the students in his classes. mainly he says they're just not as smart as the students at the Big 10 school where he started his undergrad education.

these are just a couple of examples. i don't usually get involved in arguments that all college education is the same. i just let ppl believe that if they want.

fuck you.

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10883 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 03:55 PM

14. "Yeah... to Bin's point though, USC isn't necessarily better than Howard"
In response to Reply # 9

There may be some programs at Howard that are on par or better than USC's.

The social side is also important. We had a lot of black students at my school but the school generally wasn't very supportive of students, minorities in particular.

I feel like the guys at HBCU's generally had alot more camaraderie and their administrations wanted to see them succeed. At mine, the professors generally would rather be doing research than teaching and you were on your own to find a support network.

A completed degree is still more valuable than an incomplete one so you have to be real about what you need to get to the finish line.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 03:57 PM

16. "probably. but i dunno."
In response to Reply # 14

>There may be some programs at Howard that are on par or
>better than USC's.

could be.

>The social side is also important. We had a lot of black
>students at my school but the school generally wasn't very
>supportive of students, minorities in particular.

the school was pretty supportive of our social lives in the 1st yr or so. we had lots of planned but not forced social activities that gave us a chance to bond w/our peers. i made friends i still have today.

>I feel like the guys at HBCU's generally had alot more
>camaraderie and their administrations wanted to see them
>succeed. At mine, the professors generally would rather be
>doing research than teaching and you were on your own to find
>a support network.

the professors at my school were very accessible.

>A completed degree is still more valuable than an incomplete
>one so you have to be real about what you need to get to the
>finish line.

agreed.

fuck you.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 03:10 PM

8. "naw."
In response to Reply # 0

this is the same b/s ppl sell to kids when telling them all college education is the same.

it ain't.

if you don't know you don't know.

fuck you.

Billy Ray Valentine
Member since Jul 08th 2005
675 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 03:51 PM

12. "Cornell West taught at Harvard and Princeton, not Howard and Hampton..."
In response to Reply # 0

and Hampton, the elite PWI's get the best instructors of ALL races

"when I was growin' up if we wanted a jacuzzi we had to fart in the tub!"

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 04:02 PM

17. "I am pretty sure Cornell West was a terrible instructor. "
In response to Reply # 12

The problem with a place like Harvard is that they have rock star lecturers but the class work would be handed off to grad students who don't know anything about teaching.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 04:07 PM

18. "He took a whole month off from classes to help with a presidential campa..."
In response to Reply # 17
Thu Mar-26-15 04:07 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Him and the Harvard President had some serious beefs about multiple issues

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 03:53 PM

13. "Nah they're not the same... at all"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-26-15 03:56 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

The intermediate undergraduate econ course at Yale is equivalent to the masters level econ course at a lower tier Big 12 school.

I know this from experience

I would guess Howard is probably on par with the mid/lowel level Big 12

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 03:56 PM

15. "believe you I do not. more people you do need. - hatin ass yoda nm"
In response to Reply # 13

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 10:42 AM

21. "Why Am I Always Defending My HBCU Education to Other Black People?"
In response to Reply # 0

written by my homie

http://gawker.com/why-am-i-always-defending-my-hbcu-education-to-other-bl-1693930761

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 10:45 AM

22. "SPEAK ON IT!!!!"
In response to Reply # 21

they dont get it

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 11:14 AM

23. "i dont know about hbcu's"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-27-15 11:15 AM by akon

i do wish i had attended one, sometimes

but with regards to the us rankings, yea i dont believe that hype
im at the #1 school of PH and half the time (well, 90% of the time) i wish id have gone to a different school/ lower ranked school
i was recently looking at a school in western michigan (pause) that has the program i wish i were in
but my friends are on some, wait what? are you crazy?
i dont feel like the education im getting here is any better than one i would've gotten at...
actually, this education feels sub par to what i got from my masters
and with 100% more unnecessary stress
at this stage, i dont need the name recognition

my best educational experience was at unc-chapel
i will always be a tarheel.
went to an ivy for my masters- actually have nothing but good things to say about the program
definitely prepared me for what i needed to do
i think the networking is the most important gain though - these loans are no joke

now, *this* school?
i doubt i will ever rep this school.
shit.
i met a guy that was considering transferring back to a hbcu... i definitely understand.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12764010 Previous topic | Next topic