Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12762463

Subject: "OKFat - McDonald's tries menu makeover with Create Your Taste (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22276 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 01:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OKFat - McDonald's tries menu makeover with Create Your Taste (swipe)"

A Quarter Pounder with the Big Mac special sauce??? I've waited decades for that. My boys who used to work at McD's in high school would tell us the stories but I never thought it could be real.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/retail/mcdonalds-tries-menu-makeover-with-create-your-taste/2222796

WESLEY CHAPEL — Who's up for building a sexy new Quarter Pounder, the longtime blue-collar thug on the McDonald's menu? You know, pretty that sucker up a bit. Maybe some guac, garlic sauce, caramelized onions, all on a lettuce wrap and presented to you via perky tableside service.

After suffering severe revenue losses lately, the Golden Arches needs to make a move, and they think their new "Create Your Taste" reinvention campaign, one aimed at competing with fast-casual DIY restaurants a la Chipotle, could be the ticket.

At this test location in Pasco County — the only one in Florida and one of just 20 in the country — McDonald's has set up five kiosks (think giant iPads) that allow customers to re-imagine their own version of the QP with new "premium" ingredients.

The regular sandwich is $3.59; the Create Your Taste one starts at $5.09, with the only extra charges being another meat patty or thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, both for a dollar upcharge.

"We needed to do something different," says John Frost, the co-owner and operator of this McDonald's plus six others in the state. Revenue and net income for the McDonald's company as whole have declined in the same year for the first time since 1981. Customer visits are down, and in February, sales were down 4 percent compared to a year ago.

"We've lost track of our customers," Frost says. "This allows them the freedom to build the burger they want."

The touch-screen is easy to use and kind of fun, too. You build your QP piece by piece:

* Beef patty (or two)

* Bread: ciabatta roll, artisan roll or lettuce wrap.

* Cheese: sharp white cheddar, pepper jack or American.

* Toppings (you can choose as many as you like): guacamole, sliced jalapenos, grilled mushrooms, crisp red onions, caramelized grilled onions, chili lime tortilla strips, ripe tomato, green leaf lettuce, crinkle cut pickles.

* Sauces: Big Mac special sauce, spicy mayo, creamy garlic sauce, sweet BBQ, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard.

If you're not into creating, there are three "specialty builds" you can choose that blend the various ingredients: SoCal Style (includes guac, tortilla strips), Hot All Over (pepper jack, jalapenos) and Grill Thriller (bacon, onions, mushrooms, BBQ sauce).

Me? I wanted to build, baby. I went with a patty topped with grilled onions, red onions (that's right, double onions), bacon, pepper jack, guacamole, spicy mayo, pickles, lettuce, tomato.

I added fries and a medium Coke.

Total: $9.41.

Verdict: It tasted like a McDonald's hamburger — but a pretty tasty, albeit messy, one, with the spicy mayo and guac especially standing out. I used my credit card at the kiosk, but you have the option of paying at the counter. You can also order a "normal" lunch or dinner menu off the kiosks (no breakfast yet), but where's the fun in that?

The tableside delivery time (they find you via an electronic locator) is between six and 10 minutes; mine showed up in about 5, but it was borderline breakfast time, so the kiosks weren't hopping. (People have been tipping servers, but Frost said gratuities are "respectfully declined." If customers insist, the money is donated to the Ronald McDonald House Charities.)

One diner, the aptly named Ronald Marquez, said he has been eating at McDonald's for "30 to 40" years. He hasn't been crazy about the menu getting busier and busier lately, but he was digging Create Your Taste.

"This is the best hamburger I've ever had here," said the landscaping manager, who said his creation, which included the crunchy tortilla strips and guacamole, was like "nachos."

"This is a great change for them," Marquez says. "I think it was time."

Whether Create Your Taste is a success or not remains to be seen. Frost says there is no timeline for the testing period, either here or nationally. If you want to Frankenstein up the Quarter Pounder of your dreams — or just dare your buddies to make a goliath sandwich — head on over to 27643 State Highway 54 W, Wesley Chapel.

Let me know if you get the lettuce wrap. I didn't have the nerve.

Contact Sean Daly at sdaly@tampabay.com. Follow @seandalypoplife.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
aye, they got fish sandwhich with two fish patties
Mar 25th 2015
*intrigued* in other okfat news lil ceases has bacon wrapped deep
Mar 25th 2015
That commercial looks wild!
Mar 25th 2015
its better reheaed in a pan the next day
Mar 25th 2015
I've had that pizza 3x. Not sick of it yet.
Mar 26th 2015
if only you could select a better beef patty
Mar 25th 2015
Dallas Penn is rolling over in his grave.
Mar 25th 2015
this is cool but you do know that they'll put Mac Sauce on
Mar 25th 2015
^
Mar 25th 2015
I didn't know this at all...
Mar 26th 2015
i mean i get it but i don't need all of that at mcdonalds
Mar 25th 2015
that's how i feel.
Mar 25th 2015
They keep going away from what made them successful
Mar 25th 2015
Eh well coffee seemed to work out well for them
Mar 25th 2015
then theres this
Mar 26th 2015
GIMMICK.
Mar 25th 2015
*vomits*
Mar 26th 2015

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 01:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "aye, they got fish sandwhich with two fish patties"
In response to Reply # 0

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 01:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "*intrigued* in other okfat news lil ceases has bacon wrapped deep"
In response to Reply # 0

Dish pizza. Haven't tried it but it seems like a dream

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Marbles
22276 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 01:51 PM

3. "That commercial looks wild!"
In response to Reply # 2

Bacon wrapped all around the edge of a deep dish pizza sounds fantastic

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 01:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "its better reheaed in a pan the next day"
In response to Reply # 3

>Bacon wrapped all around the edge of a deep dish pizza sounds
>fantastic

Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 01:03 AM

14. "I've had that pizza 3x. Not sick of it yet."
In response to Reply # 2

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

J_Sun
Charter member
33508 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 01:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "if only you could select a better beef patty"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 02:00 PM

6. "Dallas Penn is rolling over in his grave."
In response to Reply # 0

If you want a good laugh, go to youtube and search for Internet Celebrities. Dallas Penn and his partner Rafi Kam if I'm spelling that right have done the custom burger jobs on McDonald's offerings in that past.

I thought this post was going to be about them offering kale in the future. Think I read that somewhere on these here interwebs. What a crazy world. I still think McDonald's will find someway to inject beef in the kale somehow knowing them though.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 02:10 PM

7. "this is cool but you do know that they'll put Mac Sauce on"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-25-15 02:12 PM by SoWhat

anything you ask them to, right? i mean w/o this program being in effect.

just last week i had a McDouble w/Mac Sauce (and white cheddar instead of American - they offer Swiss too).

fuck you.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 02:16 PM

8. "^"
In response to Reply # 7

shit, I been making regular-ass cheeseburger taste better by adding mac sauce for years.

#AboveItAllReply

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Marbles
22276 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 07:50 AM

17. "I didn't know this at all..."
In response to Reply # 7

I always thought it wasn't allowed. Now I've wasted all these years eating regular Quarter Pounders.

latenitemix
Charter member
51255 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 02:34 PM

9. "i mean i get it but i don't need all of that at mcdonalds"
In response to Reply # 0

just be regular mcdonalds
and stop putting mfkn whipped cream on your shakes!

______
gnap.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 02:36 PM

10. "that's how i feel."
In response to Reply # 9

table service? at McD's? LOL

i don't go to McD's for any of that. if i want Fuddruckers or Red Robin i will go to Fuddruckers or Red Robin. like i don't go to those joints when i want a Big Mac.

fuck you.

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 10:09 PM

12. "They keep going away from what made them successful"
In response to Reply # 9

>just be regular mcdonalds
>and stop putting mfkn whipped cream on your shakes!
>

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32079 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 11:35 PM

13. "Eh well coffee seemed to work out well for them"
In response to Reply # 12

Idk the numbers. But I'd guess them revamping their McCafe stuff helped them compete with Starbucks

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 06:37 AM

15. "then theres this"
In response to Reply # 9

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 10:06 PM

11. "GIMMICK."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-25-15 10:07 PM by Starks dunked on Bul

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4542 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 07:33 AM

16. "*vomits*"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12762463 Previous topic | Next topic