Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12759133

Subject: "The ‘New Black’ Mentality Is Causing More Harm Than Good," Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 10:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The ‘New Black’ Mentality Is Causing More Harm Than Good,"

http://hellobeautiful.com/2015/03/22/why-black-celebrities-should-be-black-activists/

Last year Pharrell Williams, in an interview with Oprah, declared that he was a proud member of the “New Black.” In his contrived version of reality, “New Black” people do not blame “other people” for their problems. Instead, they assert themselves in society and probably chase that good ol’ American Dream.

Last year Raven-Symoné demanded that she not be seen as “African-American,” but rather just American. She also informed us all of her “interesting grade of hair,” as she aimed to negate her Blackness. This week she essentially defended a former Univision host who compared Michelle Obama to an ape. Hip-hop artist Common also informed us that Black people can end hundreds of years of racism and systematic oppression by extending a “hand of love,” to White people.

MUST READ: Hands Up, Don’t Shoot: Why ‘He Tried To Grab My Gun’ Is Just Not Good Enough
I would ask Kanye West to snatch all their mics, but to be honest, his recent declarations that “we” shouldn’t focus on racism, leads me to believe he is on this train of “New Blacks” as well.

Destination: White acceptance.
Full disclosure: To many White people, from the distance, I am their Black friend dream-come-true. My middle-class, highly educated, slightly-English influenced way of speaking and all in the slim-privileged body of a polite Nigerian girl, probably meets the ideology of a respectable Black person. I am more Lupita Nyong’o than K. Michelle and they like that.

Of course when people read my work and listen to my cultural and sociopolitical analysis, they realize that I am not here for respectability or White acceptance. But rather to discuss racism and to advocate for those who are most targeted by its consequences. And when this happens, their Black friend dreams often go to die, hopefully buried next to a grave with any unchecked White privilege. As many White people as I may know and love, I am not here to make them feel comfortable at the expense of people of color, whose backs are already burdened with the weight of centuries of institutional oppression against them.

For many in the intersections of my identity, they choose to believe that their nationality or their class status or their education will protect them. I laugh. Perhaps certain intersections of my identity can shield me from certain stereotypes, but my Blackness isn’t going away anytime soon. Not that I want it to. I have no problem with my Blackness–I live in it and I enjoy living it. I do have a problem with the world having a problem with it. Considering there are those who are socially located in the same somewhat privileged identities as me, who think they are protected them from individual and institutional racism; it comes as no surprise to me that Black celebrities’ views and understanding of the nature of the Black experience in its entirety, often comment in a way that leaves much to be desired.

It wasn’t always like this. From Muhammad Ali to Sam Cooke and Ruby Dee and Maya Angelou, Black public figures who found themselves in the public eye used their celebrity status for activism. And yes one can argue that at the height of social change in the 60s and 70s, of course we had these public figures. But if you and I can barely go a day without hearing that some Black man or woman was killed or beaten in the streets, at a beach, in their neighborhood, in their home, in their sleep, etc., then it is quite apparent that activism from Black people and especially those who have voice and status, is necessary.

The alternative is cowardice. The alternative is living on your knees, consumed by fear; afraid to continue the work of those whose blood, sweat and tears were shed so that future generations can endure.
It is true that many celebrities might not be able to articulate the cause, consequences and solutions for racism, but not having expert knowledge is not the same as either looking the other way in the face of injustice, or constructing mind-numbing, victim-blaming and false realities of what constitutes racism and how it affects disadvantaged bodies. Why are the Jesse Williams and J.Coles and Shonda Rhimes and yes, Azealia Banks of this country, so few and far between? In these examples, we have people who either because of their education or art, they at least have the courage to speak up to racial injustice. It may not be perfect but we do not need perfect–we need progress.

Anyone of any status who is involved in Black activism knows that they walk a fine line, especially when they are walking this line in White spaces. But it is still better to walk the line if at your journey’s end, there is the possibility for a fairer and more just society. So to all Black celebrities and to all Black people, and not just Black people, but everyone concerned with disadvantaged bodies, who buy into respectability politics and/or a cowardly silence: In the words of Audre Lorde, “Your silence will not protect you.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I stopped reading at "Nigerian girl"
Mar 23rd 2015
I stopped at the first instance of "privilege "
Mar 23rd 2015
smh, stfu about the "I stopped reading"..want a cookie?..
Mar 23rd 2015
I want bloggers to do better and be better.
Mar 23rd 2015
I stopped reading at "New Black"
Mar 23rd 2015
this is a pretty obnoxious sentence.
Mar 24th 2015
"new black" seems to be a progression of "bougie black"
Mar 23rd 2015
yep
Mar 23rd 2015
New Black = New Money
Mar 23rd 2015
These folks seem to only be:
Mar 23rd 2015
Mar 23rd 2015
Nah them niggas the same old type of ignorant.
Mar 23rd 2015
Because they "made it?"
Mar 23rd 2015
y sit around all day cryin about the whiteman havin his foot on ya neck?
Mar 23rd 2015
Trying to get that muthafucka's foot off your neck, and pretending
Mar 23rd 2015
nah because ppl don't believe these niggas.
Mar 23rd 2015
Dr. Carr breaks this down
Mar 23rd 2015
What's that Ice Cube song about folks getting rich and get brand new?
Mar 23rd 2015
true to the game?
Mar 23rd 2015
#blackcelebsbelike
Mar 23rd 2015
they scorched the earth with that
Mar 24th 2015
hopefully one day people will stop pretending
Mar 23rd 2015
i remember a post here saying "we need to get common on bill o'reilly"
Mar 23rd 2015
new Black is wack and them corny sell turkeys
Mar 23rd 2015
‘New Black’ is on the same level of 'Bae' and 'thot'
Mar 24th 2015

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 10:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I stopped reading at "Nigerian girl""
In response to Reply # 0

also...New Black isn't a thing...we don't need yet another Think Piece trying to turn it into one. We got enough problems to tackle...

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 10:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I stopped at the first instance of "privilege ""
In response to Reply # 1

Show some creativity in the use of buzzwords. Mix it up a little

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 10:59 AM

6. "smh, stfu about the "I stopped reading"..want a cookie?.."
In response to Reply # 1

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 11:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "I want bloggers to do better and be better."
In response to Reply # 6

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 10:44 PM

21. "I stopped reading at "New Black""
In response to Reply # 1

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 06:58 AM

23. "this is a pretty obnoxious sentence. "
In response to Reply # 1

" To many White people, from the distance, I am their Black friend dream-come-true. My middle-class, highly educated, slightly-English influenced way of speaking and all in the slim-privileged body of a polite Nigerian girl, probably meets the ideology of a respectable Black person. I am more Lupita Nyong’o than K. Michelle and they like that."

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 10:50 AM

2. ""new black" seems to be a progression of "bougie black""
In response to Reply # 0

> Instead, they
>assert themselves in society and probably chase that good
>ol’ American Dream.

>meets the ideology of a respectable Black person.

>believe that their nationality or their class status or their
>education will protect them.

~~~~~~

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 12:00 PM

10. "yep"
In response to Reply # 2

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 10:55 AM

4. "New Black = New Money"
In response to Reply # 0

ain't no one talking about new black except for people with new money.

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 10:57 AM

5. "These folks seem to only be:"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-23-15 10:58 AM by 8-bit

1) wealthy black men & women
2) black women that date white men
3) black folks that are essentially "tokens" in their social circles

I don't know why folks even listen to these people about anything ground-level.

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

RS
Charter member
1260 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 05:58 PM

14. "2.5"
In response to Reply # 5

Black men that date white women

Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 07:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Nah them niggas the same old type of ignorant. "
In response to Reply # 14

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 11:35 PM

22. "Because they "made it?""
In response to Reply # 5

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 11:18 AM

8. "y sit around all day cryin about the whiteman havin his foot on ya neck?"
In response to Reply # 0

that's wasted energy. get up, get out, and get something.

does racism exist? no doubt. are the odds against you? very much so.

but don't just curl up into a ball and die. do what you gotta do do succeed.

that's not "new black". that's an old sentiment. some shit my grandfather thought and his father was a slave...

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 07:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "Trying to get that muthafucka's foot off your neck, and pretending"
In response to Reply # 8

like the foot ain't there are two different things.

I'm not gonna let someone else limit my potential, but if you wrong me or mine I'm gonna call you out on it.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard

now or never
Member since Oct 27th 2004
3821 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 11:27 AM

9. "nah because ppl don't believe these niggas."
In response to Reply # 0

like when you got somebody who was literally hung from a tree in Mississippi last week
most black ppl with less than a million dollars lookin at these "new black" niggas like "go home. u drunk."

-----
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. (c) HL Mencken or some other motherfucker.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 12:16 PM

11. "Dr. Carr breaks this down"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Musician-Pharrell-Explains-New-Black-Concept-259397001.html

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 01:48 PM

12. "What's that Ice Cube song about folks getting rich and get brand new?"
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

Tommy-B
Member since Mar 03rd 2013
524 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 08:16 PM

17. "true to the game?"
In response to Reply # 12

If you're innocent, be cool.
Only the guilty's catchin' offence.

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 05:33 PM

13. "#blackcelebsbelike"
In response to Reply # 0

http://twitchy.com/2015/03/22/nuking-in-progress-hashtag-blackcelebsbelike-that-mocks-black-celebrities-on-race-issues-now-trending/

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 09:07 AM

24. "they scorched the earth with that"
In response to Reply # 13

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 08:48 PM

18. "hopefully one day people will stop pretending"
In response to Reply # 0

That the rich and famous have anything to offer the rest of us as far as how to cope with the struggles of day to day life

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 09:21 PM

19. "i remember a post here saying "we need to get common on bill o'reilly""
In response to Reply # 0

lol

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 09:32 PM

20. "new Black is wack and them corny sell turkeys"
In response to Reply # 0

gets no love from me at all.

that's ok when these racist cops creep up on them and call them out of their name or shake them up, they gonna play that new black crap off with the quickness.

New Black only makes the racist out in Hollywood and in Amerikkka smile and they still don't respect the New Black.

Pharrell how did new black work out with "blurred lines"?? Pay up Sell out

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 09:52 AM

25. " ‘New Black’ is on the same level of 'Bae' and 'thot'"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12759133 Previous topic | Next topic