Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12753612

Subject: "The spirit of rebellion here seems dead " Previous topic | Next topic
initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The spirit of rebellion here seems dead "

I have been a sporadic lurker ever since I discovered Talib Kweli & The Roots many moons ago. I remember distinct people and faces that continually pushed the envelope and challenged conventional thought. People like Aquaman come to mind.

Maybe it's because many people simply got older and got smacked in the gob with bills, family and social responsibility, jobs, etc. but thinking for yourself is not encouraged anymore.

It seems that everyone is now mostly concerned with being right / to prove someone wrong / attempt to correct someone's thinking. Color me confused, but I thought the Okayartists represented a rebellious spirit. Since when did free rebellious people turn into purveyors of the status quo? Since when did everyone become the thought police and why?

It's not like any of the things people retort with are original. It's all just mainstream parroting of the "accepted and most comfortable answer." Everyone is so quick to pull out random google articles and links, as if it actually means anything. Google is not a source of consciousness, it's a source of recorded information. Science and spirituality is constantly changing, shifting, morphing to new ideals, adapting and breathing. You cannot force consciousness into a steadfast state. As soon as you try, you stop growing and begin to wither.

Anyways, maybe this is just a symptom of getting older for some, or maybe it was stifled with financial and family responsibilities. Don't lose your passion for questioning things. In the words of Pink Floyd, do not become comfortably numb. Try to understand that it is impossible to prove or disprove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. The fun part is exploring ideas, not attempting to be "right".

All great ideas came from exploration and the rebellion against the norm. If you find yourself a poster boy/girl for the norm, maybe it's important to understand why. The same system that people portray and parrot, is also the same system which exploits them. How ironic.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'd question if "rebelliousness" was ever the "spirit" here...
Mar 17th 2015
Rebellion is why I came back
Mar 17th 2015
You doing a whole lot to just not say "yeah I was wrong about that whole
Mar 17th 2015
You have a right to think I was wrong.
Mar 17th 2015
      LOL. Read what you just wrote. LOL.
Mar 17th 2015
           You fail to see I'm not attempting to change yours.
Mar 17th 2015
                What's a discussion if the parties involved aren't willing to change the...
Mar 17th 2015
                     I don't believe in right and wrong.
Mar 17th 2015
                          K. Enjoy your world.
Mar 17th 2015
are you overweight?
Mar 17th 2015
overcompensating?
Mar 17th 2015
I am a swimmer.
Mar 17th 2015
      dog, don't type me to deat about your thirsty brain. i can tell.
Mar 17th 2015
           RE: dog, don't type me to deat about your thirsty brain. i can tell.
Mar 17th 2015
                overzealous
Mar 17th 2015
                You do you.
Mar 17th 2015
                im on a quest to learn why you type so pompously.
Mar 17th 2015
                     I am who I am.
Mar 17th 2015
                          dont become defensive. im not calling you any names.
Mar 17th 2015
                               lol
Mar 17th 2015
                                    yeah, yeah.
Mar 17th 2015
LMAO you about 7 years late
Mar 17th 2015
Apparently, however
Mar 17th 2015
      People get jobs a little money and
Mar 17th 2015
Critical Thinking has been at an all time low around here for years
Mar 17th 2015
Why? What is the reason?
Mar 17th 2015
Hilarious coming from a culture vulture whitesplainin Canadian
Mar 17th 2015
are you white?
Mar 17th 2015
I'm 2 steps ahead fam.
Mar 17th 2015
      that sure is a long way to spell 'yes'.
Mar 17th 2015
           not my tempo. nm
Mar 17th 2015
           RE: that sure is a long way to spell 'yes'.
Mar 17th 2015
                i don't engage in racism. nm
Mar 17th 2015
RE: The spirit of rebellion here seems dead
Mar 17th 2015
RE: The spirit of rebellion here seems dead
Mar 17th 2015
Are you the poster formerly known as Bartek?
Mar 17th 2015

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'd question if "rebelliousness" was ever the "spirit" here..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-17-15 09:29 AM by 8-bit

Been here (with a handle) since '03, and the Japanese saying of "The nail that sticks out gets hammered" seemed like it has always applied. There was just more background noise to mask things in previous years. I have a growing list of topics that I won't participate in discussion here because I just don't have the energy for it. Why bother even trying with set-in-stone thinkers?

The Internet is actually a terrible place for intellectual discussion, because it allows anyone to participate, no matter their level of discourse. Anyone can come in a derail a conversation without fear of repercussion because they can hide behind their screens, usernames and avatars. The only exceptions that I've noticed are very-topic-specific forums, like a metal detecting, knitting or auto repair forum. You can have some great conversations ABOUT THAT TOPIC there.

My advice: Save the deep, intellectual or controversial stuff for the face-to-face, in-person world.

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Rebellion is why I came back"
In response to Reply # 1

>Been here (with a handle) since '03, and the Japanese saying
>of "The nail that sticks out gets hammered" seemed like it has
>always applied. There was just more background noise to mask
>things in previous years. I have a growing list of topics that
>I won't participate in discussion here because I just don't
>have the energy for it. Why bother even trying with
>set-in-stone thinkers?

Yeah, I suppose that I just have to accept that. Ultimately, that's how I always thought of okayplayer when I was away. A place where people were free to challenge the norm. Upon coming back, it seems like a lot of people are simply dead set on being "right", whatever that means, and everyone is constantly trying to outdo one another with "snark". The OkayActivist and Freestyle Board is also dead. A good indicator of that dying spirit?

I guess that's the name of the game now, just a little sad because I found this place through mind opening music, and now find myself forced to "fight back" simply to share my rightful freedom to have an opinion.

>
>The Internet is actually a terrible place for intellectual
>discussion, because it allows anyone to participate, no matter
>their level of discourse. Anyone can come in a derail a
>conversation without fear of repercussion because they can
>hide behind their screens, usernames and avatars. The only
>exceptions that I've noticed are very-topic-specific forums,
>like a metal detecting, knitting or auto repair forum. You can
>have some great conversations ABOUT THAT TOPIC there.
>

You make a good point. I still see the internet as something that has the potential to influence consciousness, and no doubt it has, but I'm not sure if it is good or bad yet.

>My advice: Save the deep, intellectual or controversial stuff
>for the face-to-face, in-person world.

Yeah. Even face-to-face, people simply do not want to bend beyond the accepted confines of the status quo. I can clearly see people of my generation conforming to ideals they were convinced were immoral and unjust when they were younger. If nothing else, it's pretty interesting to witness.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49416 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:33 AM

2. "You doing a whole lot to just not say "yeah I was wrong about that whole"
In response to Reply # 0

creativity thing".

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:44 AM

4. "You have a right to think I was wrong."
In response to Reply # 2

I won't try to take that away from you. I just think it's a little short sighted. My objective is always discussion, and to turn the prism to see other angles. You can be "right" all you want in your mind, it will not change my perspective. That's something that most of you just don't get.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49416 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:56 AM

5. "LOL. Read what you just wrote. LOL. "
In response to Reply # 4

I want discussion, but you will not change my mind. SMH.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:58 AM

6. "You fail to see I'm not attempting to change yours."
In response to Reply # 5

I'm not trying to change your opinion, or prove that you are wrong or right about anything. Apparently, that's your job, and I'm letting you know that no matter how hard you try, it will not make a difference to me.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49416 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:39 AM

7. "What's a discussion if the parties involved aren't willing to change the..."
In response to Reply # 6

mind on the preconceived notions they had going into the discussion?

I wonder if this is the product of younger people being raised on MSNBC and Fox and the echo chambers of the internet.

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:49 AM

10. "I don't believe in right and wrong."
In response to Reply # 7
Tue Mar-17-15 11:01 AM by initiationofplato

I am my own man. I have the right to choose what I believe or do not. You have no right to impose your concept of right and wrong on me by flatly saying "You are wrong." You have no power here.

The only concept of right and wrong I have are applied to the following:

First and foremost, everyone has the right to life, food, well being, and happiness, and this includes plants and animals.

That is the only moral ground I will rally for. If it lives, preserve it as life is clearly and obviously precious. Everything else is a game of discovery or logic.

As I already said, science is constantly changing, therefore, we do not have "facts" which exist in an objective reality.

10 years ago, it would be blasphemous to say the speed of light is not constant, today, it is more acceptable due to evolving data and discovery. For these reasons, I do not rally behind any label, dogma, or scientific "fact" as they will change. I am not a democrat, capitalist, spiritualist, realist, etc. I am none of these things, I simply am. I picked up this idea from Buddha and Jesus Christ and this is precisely why they said it. We are human "beings". A being is a state of something, not a physical or material thing.

I like speaking/debating with people because they offer different perspectives, however, as soon as someone says, "You're wrong" they are essentially attempting creating a conflict. We all have a right to consciousness. We all have the right to feel and think whatever we choose.

I don't even watch television bro, so I'm not exactly sure how to answer your MSNC and FOX statement. I don't watch trash.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49416 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 01:15 PM

35. "K. Enjoy your world. "
In response to Reply # 10

I personally feel that “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts” but do you.

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:41 AM

8. "are you overweight?"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79600 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:43 AM

9. "overcompensating? "
In response to Reply # 8

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:52 AM

11. "I am a swimmer."
In response to Reply # 8
Tue Mar-17-15 10:57 AM by initiationofplato

Meet me in the pool, I'll complete 2 laps before you paddle across the pool once.

Beyond that, I am attracted to knowledge and ideas. I have come across thousands of ideas as I am constantly absorbing stuff, and that is why I can debate with anyone on anything. It's not an ego thing, it's a basic, "I took the time to study the origins of things." Anyone can learn if they take the time to. The library in London has over 20 million volumes. Think of how much information is out there. One lifetime is not enough to even scrape the surface. For someone to flatly say "you are wrong" is the height of ignorance as most people haven't even delved beyond the surface level of the status quo. I don't even know if I have free will, and people are passing out "You are wrong" statements like its going out of style. Hilarity.

Take it as you will.

Deadzombie
13358 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:55 AM

12. "dog, don't type me to deat about your thirsty brain. i can tell."
In response to Reply # 11
Tue Mar-17-15 10:55 AM by Deadzombie

and i think legsdiamond is right.

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:55 AM

13. "RE: dog, don't type me to deat about your thirsty brain. i can tell."
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Mar-17-15 10:58 AM by initiationofplato

>and i think legsdiamond is right.
>
>
>

You have a right to.

You are both also proving my point. You are in here to be "right" about something. It's funny how you can't see that, it's such a flat dimension to represent, but, do you.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79600 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:02 AM

14. "overzealous"
In response to Reply # 13

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:03 AM

16. "You do you."
In response to Reply # 14

I'll do me hombre.

Deadzombie
13358 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:02 AM

15. "im on a quest to learn why you type so pompously."
In response to Reply # 13

im trying to figure out if this is just something you give to us, or if you communicate with the people in your 'real' world like this, too.

not trying to be 'right'. nothing to be 'right' about in this instance.

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:04 AM

17. "I am who I am."
In response to Reply # 15
Tue Mar-17-15 11:04 AM by initiationofplato

I don't care if you like or hate me, I'll still do me. Take it as you will. Your labels mean nothing to me.

Deadzombie
13358 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:08 AM

18. "dont become defensive. im not calling you any names."
In response to Reply # 17

im not asking you to logoff, or even change who you are or how you act.

im just trying to add some context to you. that make you uncomfortable?

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:12 AM

19. "lol"
In response to Reply # 18

>im just trying to add some context to you. that make you
>uncomfortable?

Don't watch me. Watch television.

Deadzombie
13358 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:18 AM

21. "yeah, yeah."
In response to Reply # 19

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "LMAO you about 7 years late"
In response to Reply # 0

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:20 AM

22. "Apparently, however"
In response to Reply # 20

I'm curious why.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 01:29 PM

36. "People get jobs a little money and"
In response to Reply # 22

Suddenly things are alright.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

GrumpySmurf
Charter member
3375 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:28 AM

23. "Critical Thinking has been at an all time low around here for years"
In response to Reply # 0

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:54 AM

26. "Why? What is the reason?"
In response to Reply # 23

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:49 AM

24. "Hilarious coming from a culture vulture whitesplainin Canadian "
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't even read this post

Deadzombie
13358 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:49 AM

25. "are you white?"
In response to Reply # 0

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:57 AM

27. "I'm 2 steps ahead fam."
In response to Reply # 25

It doesn't matter what answer I give you, you will accuse me of taking on a label. You can do better.

Deadzombie
13358 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:58 AM

28. "that sure is a long way to spell 'yes'."
In response to Reply # 27

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:01 PM

29. "not my tempo. nm"
In response to Reply # 28

iHoller
Member since Aug 06th 2014
52 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:08 PM

31. "RE: that sure is a long way to spell 'yes'."
In response to Reply # 28

>
i know right?

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:09 PM

32. "i don't engage in racism. nm"
In response to Reply # 31

iHoller
Member since Aug 06th 2014
52 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:07 PM

30. "RE: The spirit of rebellion here seems dead "
In response to Reply # 0

well it seems to me the internet is mostly there for people to be on some spying or prying to figure out where you stand on certain topics, so that they can use your opinions against you.

there are a few people who earnestly and honestly state points, but a lot of it turns into personal attacks and pissing contests based on the need to be right.

and there's the whole "the majors are watching" idea that happens when music gets discussed. when people talk about and bring up artists, new music, and important topics, people either condescendingly "snark" or they won't say how they really feel, because they don't want to piss off the people that they eventually want to work for.

which leaves us with a bunch of cliquishness and a lot of yes-men. that was a great japanese quote. "the nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered."

that's rebellion in a nutshell. everyone else wants somebody else to do it. they won't hold your hand and jump with you, they'll push you off and see what happens. and sit back with everyone else and talk about it.

ini...you mentioned buddha and jesus. those are interesting people because they've stood the test of time, are "central figures" in religions based on them, and they preached peace.

ive typed this numerous times. and it's very true. "you can't throw hot coals without burning yourself in the process." that's Buddha. if you're broke, bottle service is a hot coal. a mansion is a hot coal. a hundred thousand dollar car is a hot coal. a yacht is a hot coal. you see where this is going?

jesus' two greatest commandments were to love god with pretty much all that you are. and to love your neighbor as yourself. i'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

i don't really know what happened to buddha. but jesus was crucified for going against the status quo. why? because he was a "threat" to the establishment that was throwing hot coals. he preached peace, performed miracles and folks didn't have his back. the same people that would probably be complaining or mad about the way things were. the people that would push him off the cliff.

marcus garvey was sold for rice, betrayed by the people he was trying to save for what? im sure he heard "if you don't like it go back to africa" enough times, and it seems like he came up with a plan to go back to africa. it seems like he felt like "i don't like being here anymore than you like seeing me here."

malcolm x was kind of like magneto, and mlk reminds me of professor x. and they both got taken out. pac used to speak out. anyways if history has taught you anything, the people build heroes up to tear them down. we want leaders, but allow people from the outside to infiltrate and infect organizations or to "comfortably numb" any sense of rebellion.

what is there to rebel against? what is the status quo? we live in a capitalistic society. that's not going to change. that's the nurturing that's currently influencing our nature.

2+2='s 4 is the truth. but if it's to your advantage to say it's 5 it looks kinda dumb or maybe even revolutionary/rebellious to continue to believe it's 4.

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:19 PM

34. "RE: The spirit of rebellion here seems dead "
In response to Reply # 30

>there are a few people who earnestly and honestly state
>points, but a lot of it turns into personal attacks and
>pissing contests based on the need to be right.
>

My posts are full of this.

>and there's the whole "the majors are watching" idea that
>happens when music gets discussed. when people talk about and
>bring up artists, new music, and important topics, people
>either condescendingly "snark" or they won't say how they
>really feel, because they don't want to piss off the people
>that they eventually want to work for.
>

>that's rebellion in a nutshell. everyone else wants somebody
>else to do it. they won't hold your hand and jump with you,
>they'll push you off and see what happens. and sit back with
>everyone else and talk about it.

Poignant & true.

>ini...you mentioned buddha and jesus. those are interesting
>people because they've stood the test of time, are "central
>figures" in religions based on them, and they preached peace.
>

They also preached the love of self, and self governance.

>
>i don't really know what happened to buddha. but jesus was
>crucified for going against the status quo. why? because he
>was a "threat" to the establishment that was throwing hot
>coals. he preached peace, performed miracles and folks didn't
>have his back. the same people that would probably be
>complaining or mad about the way things were. the people that
>would push him off the cliff.
>

The miracles part is an interesting idea. I personally believe Jesus reached a state of humanity that we can all reach, and this is precisely why he said that it is all within you. I believe he started just like you and I, educated himself, sharpened his mind, hardened his body, and perfected his soul. In that sense, he possessed the holy trinity of himself, which allowed him to do things which others would call magic, or super human, when in reality, it could just be our perfected and "divine" state.

>marcus garvey was sold for rice, betrayed by the people he was
>trying to save for what? im sure he heard "if you don't like
>it go back to africa" enough times, and it seems like he came
>up with a plan to go back to africa. it seems like he felt
>like "i don't like being here anymore than you like seeing me
>here."
>
>malcolm x was kind of like magneto, and mlk reminds me of
>professor x. and they both got taken out. pac used to speak
>out. anyways if history has taught you anything, the people
>build heroes up to tear them down. we want leaders, but allow
>people from the outside to infiltrate and infect organizations
>or to "comfortably numb" any sense of rebellion.
>
>what is there to rebel against? what is the status quo? we
>live in a capitalistic society. that's not going to change.
>that's the nurturing that's currently influencing our nature.
>

In my opinion, capitalism is falling and will eventually implode. You cannot have perpetual capitalism in a system with finite resources. There are far better ideas to capitalism, and tools for peace and cooperation as well, they are just not being used.

We could be pals. You should post more.

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5446 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:12 PM

33. "Are you the poster formerly known as Bartek?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12753612 Previous topic | Next topic