Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12753448

Subject: "Chicago: Y'all still supporting Chuy?" Previous topic | Next topic
CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 11:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Chicago: Y'all still supporting Chuy?"

I mean, it musta been fun while it lasted right? But you gotta be honest at this point; Chuy don't got no plan other than "You're mad at Rahm, right?"

And that's all fine and dandy... 'cept for that $550million that's gotta get paid on the pensions by the end of the year. You need a plan for that shit.

So yeah, y'all can still rock your Chuy for Mayor buttons and all that, but be honest that your man don't have a plan.

my avy: Deep in your heart, you know he's right: http://coreyrichardsonneedsajob.com/
my hustle: http://SupaSoulSounds.com

*RIP: John T. "220v" Richardson, Blessing Benson, and Dilla*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Where's Rahm's plan?
Mar 17th 2015
I hope he plans to return to the WH Chief of Staff position
Mar 17th 2015
I'm still waiting.
Mar 17th 2015
Lowered and expanded sales tax to include services...
Mar 17th 2015
      Lowered what?
Mar 17th 2015
           TIF is on the table...
Mar 17th 2015
                Public benefit vs private benefit
Mar 17th 2015
                     Duh.
Mar 17th 2015
                     Short Term vs. Long Term...
Mar 17th 2015
                          Because DePaul basketball is such a huge draw.
Mar 17th 2015
                               No, but the Auto Show is...
Mar 17th 2015
                                    the Auto Show ain't hurting for space at McCormick.
Mar 17th 2015
                                         But once that money's gone, that money's gone...
Mar 17th 2015
                                              Having a fully funded employee pension fund can spur long term growth
Mar 17th 2015
                                                   And herein lies the problem...
Mar 17th 2015
                                                        Why should the unions have to make an equal sacrifice?
Mar 17th 2015
                                                             Why? For the sake of the solvency of the system...
Mar 17th 2015
his plan is to not be Rahm.
Mar 17th 2015
Latest anti-chuy tv spot got news clipping from '88..lol
Mar 17th 2015
One ad attacks Chuy for being a career politician.
Mar 17th 2015
      That's the one....
Mar 17th 2015
           You know?
Mar 17th 2015
Lol
Mar 17th 2015
gotta come stronger than this
Mar 17th 2015
Funding moves from Lakeview to Pilsen
Mar 17th 2015
Funding for what and how?
Mar 17th 2015
      C'mon dog....
Mar 17th 2015
           No, you c'mon...
Mar 17th 2015
                Consult, no. Be aware...hell yes
Mar 17th 2015
CHEW'wehh!!!
Mar 17th 2015
More on Chuy's "plan" for fixing Chicago...
Mar 17th 2015
i'm ready to elect Rahm president of the debate team.
Mar 17th 2015
      But how does Chuy do any of the things he says he'll do?
Mar 17th 2015
           i dunno. and i'm still voting for him.
Mar 17th 2015
                WOW, that's some astonishingly poor decision making...
Mar 17th 2015
                     yup.
Mar 17th 2015
I read this as Chevy
Mar 17th 2015

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 03:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Where's Rahm's plan?"
In response to Reply # 0

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 07:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I hope he plans to return to the WH Chief of Staff position "
In response to Reply # 1

where he belongs! He never should've left. He is real life Doug Stamper. The Enforcer.

fuck you.

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "I'm still waiting."
In response to Reply # 5

Plan?

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Lowered and expanded sales tax to include services..."
In response to Reply # 1

Increased contributions to pension plans from municipal employees and an expansion on the city tax to include corporate services.

That's what a plan looks like to fill a $550million hole... not some promises to do some stuff, you know, when you get elected.

my avy: Deep in your heart, you know he's right: http://coreyrichardsonneedsajob.com/

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:49 AM

14. "Lowered what?"
In response to Reply # 12

How is a tax on corporate services going to fit with his "attracting corporations to Chicago" agenda?

Wake me up when he decides to come up off that TIF money.

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:52 AM

15. "TIF is on the table... "
In response to Reply # 14

But if folks are mad about TIF going to a stadium, how the fuck do you justify using TIF to put money into the pension hole?

As for the corporate service tax, shit like accountants and ad agencies would have a surcharge on services. I'm actually cool with that because it's a way to pad billings and increase wages in corporate service gigs.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "Public benefit vs private benefit"
In response to Reply # 15

>But if folks are mad about TIF going to a stadium, how the
>fuck do you justify using TIF to put money into the pension
>hole?

The money would go to state funded pensions which would free up state money to be spent on essential public services. Money going to a stadium only benefits DP and the hoteliers near the stadium.

>As for the corporate service tax, shit like accountants and ad
>agencies would have a surcharge on services. I'm actually
>cool with that because it's a way to pad billings and increase
>wages in corporate service gigs.
>
>
>
>my avy: Deep in your heart, you know he's right:
>http://coreyrichardsonneedsajob.com/
>my hustle: http://SupaSoulSounds.com
>
>*RIP: John T. "220v" Richardson, Blessing Benson, and Dilla*

fuck you.

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:59 AM

17. "Duh."
In response to Reply # 16

No one in their right mind would be against using TIF money for that instead of an unnecessary stadium.

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:59 AM

18. "Short Term vs. Long Term... "
In response to Reply # 16

The hotels and stadium generate revenue in the form of taxable income/spending for the folks doing the construction and then a sustaining level of tax revenue from occupancy of hotel rooms, meal taxes, and use of the facility.

One big drop in the bucket now or a whole lot of tiny drops accruing over time?

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:04 AM

19. "Because DePaul basketball is such a huge draw."
In response to Reply # 18

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:07 AM

20. "No, but the Auto Show is... "
In response to Reply # 19

As are the other conventions, concerts, and gatherings that happen in Rosemont at the Allstate Arena and their convention center.

The stadium needed a tenant, it got one with DePaul, but it's going to have a lot more uses than 12 basketball games a year.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:42 AM

23. "the Auto Show ain't hurting for space at McCormick."
In response to Reply # 20

>As are the other conventions, concerts, and gatherings that
>happen in Rosemont at the Allstate Arena and their convention
>center.

sure but the question was about how Chuy can justify using TIF money to fix the pension problem w/o ppl bitching the way they bitch about TIF money being used to fund the stadium. quite easily considering the TIF money used to shore up the pension problem has a pretty direct and obvious public benefit whereas using the money to fund that stadium has an obvious private benefit and a very indirect and stretched public benefit. IMO the public benefit of the pension use far outweighs that of the private use. so the proposed usage of TIF $ to fix the pensions can be easily justified, IMO.

fuck you.

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:54 AM

25. "But once that money's gone, that money's gone... "
In response to Reply # 23

It's just another form of kicking the can down the road akin to selling parts of your car to get gas money.

If we know that revenues are needed in any long term fix, why not use TIF money to drive projects that will create long term dividends? That's a progressive and pro-growth strategy that says we can build up the city and that will generate the floor for revenues based on usage fees of these new facilities (see: taxes, etc.). It's not as directly or unfairly redistributive, which is another knock on Chuy that I could go on for days about, and it encourages people to come to the city.

Otherwise, we'll find ourselves paying down the debt in December and then still scraping the bottom of the bucket to get the other 70% in subsequent years. And that will lead to a spike in property taxes and, without reasonably amenities to justify the hikes, folks are going to be reluctant to move into the city. That's great for Evanston, Oak Park, and Cicero, but that's bad for Chicago.

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:40 PM

26. "Having a fully funded employee pension fund can spur long term growth"
In response to Reply # 25

By way of Chicago having a better credit rating next time they need to issue bonds. Not to mention paying your retirees what they were promised is good business.

And since when is McCormick losing convention business to Rosemont?

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:57 PM

27. "And herein lies the problem... "
In response to Reply # 26

"Not to mention paying your retirees what they were promised is good business."

The city overpromised and took too many pension holidays under Daley's watch expecting revenues to appear from money heaven. Chuy's approach to it seems to be all about avoiding making hard choices and instead trying to double down on keeping promises to the unions that no longer make financial sense.

The biggest roadblock in confronting this shortfall issue is the state supreme court saying that they city can't alter the terms of the deal. If they could increase contributions in the near-term and cap payouts for future retirees, that would go a long way towards fixing the problems.

But the unions keep digging in their heels and not being an equal partner in sacrifice. I have absolutely no pity for the Teacher's Union striking because they don't want to make uncomfortable changes. I'm actually shocked at the SEIU for backing Chuy when Rahm has already gone to bat for and gotten a higher minimum wage in the city. That makes them look like greedy reactionaries.

I don't see how Chuy makes all of his promises work without somehow capturing Smaug and leveraging his gold towards the city's future.

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 02:14 PM

32. "Why should the unions have to make an equal sacrifice?"
In response to Reply # 27

They ain't the ones who just decided to skate on payments for five years.
My mother is a retired Chicago Teacher. Her medical benefits are shit. They just eliminated their dental plan completely, I think. How much more should she have to give up?

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 02:39 PM

33. "Why? For the sake of the solvency of the system... "
In response to Reply # 32

Sure, the pensions can stay as is and accrue more costs to maintain benefit levels, but someone's going to have to pay for it and it's going to mean raising revenues from somewhere and cutting spending somewhere else.

So, you can maintain the billion dollar liability for retirees but that's going to mean higher property taxes to pay into a CPS system that will have fewer schools and fewer (lower paid) teachers. As more retirees hit the system, the costs will increase until you have to find other more creative means of generating revenue and you'll have things like a commuter tax or even a city income tax that will be dedicated to propping up pensions. All the while, you're opening few schools and paying current teachers less.

But that only works for so long before folks just say fuck it and leave town and/or abandon the public school system. The folks with the money and the means will cluster in certain areas of the city (which they already do) and those facilities will be great, same for the burbs. It's the areas where there isn't as much of a tax base that will suffer because those folks don't own their homes or their homes don't have the same value to provide as much of a revenue base for their local schools.

It sucks, but that's what sacrifice is, accepting a shitty bargain for the greater good.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 06:12 AM

2. "his plan is to not be Rahm."
In response to Reply # 0

that sounds good enough.

fuck you.

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 07:20 AM

3. "Latest anti-chuy tv spot got news clipping from '88..lol"
In response to Reply # 0

I bet most won't notice though.

It's a dirty game, and Rahms playing it too

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 07:23 AM

4. "One ad attacks Chuy for being a career politician."
In response to Reply # 3

I'm like: REALLY?!!?

Lol

fuck you.

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 07:50 AM

6. "That's the one...."
In response to Reply # 4

I just saw it again on ch7

Next time you see it, check the dates...they actually oh as far back as 86

Man, if they gotta go back 30 years to dig up shit, he might be worth voting for.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 07:51 AM

7. "You know?"
In response to Reply # 6

fuck you.

kinetic20
Charter member
19156 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 08:08 AM

8. "Lol"
In response to Reply # 0

i mean i give a fck but i don't give that much of a fck

illegal
Charter member
78381 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 08:16 AM

9. "gotta come stronger than this"
In response to Reply # 0

when I come around, they frown
then wanna dap me down
but when I leave?

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 08:46 AM

10. "Funding moves from Lakeview to Pilsen"
In response to Reply # 0

Low End and points further South still neglected.

Willie Wilson would have given all of his funding to House of Hope as long as they let him come and sing 2 Sundays a year.

Rahm studied from the Daley playbook when it comes to Chicago. His move to fund the Depaul stadium was a death knell for me.

If I have to get fucked....I'd rather it be somebody new. Pause.

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:39 AM

13. "Funding for what and how? "
In response to Reply # 10

Folks are killing me with, "Well he needs to do more for the neighborhoods." without specifying what he needs to do and how.

DVS
19730 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 03:36 PM

35. "C'mon dog...."
In response to Reply # 13

Rahm came in slashing school budgets left and right talking about funding is low.

All of those schools were in black and brown neighborhoods...had rival gangs going to the same damn schools because he didn't give half of a fuck....

yet when it comes time for Casinos or stadiums...he got all the time in the world.

Rahm ain't worth a hot damn...I'm convinced Chuy ain't much better but I want Rahm outta office so fuck it

D

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 03:48 PM

36. "No, you c'mon... "
In response to Reply # 35

"Rahm came in slashing school budgets left and right talking about funding is low."

Um, the funding is low though. Daley had been running shit in the red for years and kicking the can down the road for the next mayor to deal with... that shit fell on Rahm, so budgets got slashed because math.

It sucks, but when your neighborhood school is supported by local property taxes, schools in poorer areas suffer. Don't hate the player, hate the funding system.

"All of those schools were in black and brown neighborhoods...had rival gangs going to the same damn schools because he didn't give half of a fuck...."

And they were also underutilized buildings in black and brown neighborhoods. Was he supposed to consult the heads of the gangs before he made a financial decision? Bruh, the financial solvency of the CPS is a paramount issue compared to the gang problems that need to be handled by the CPD. Every kid in Chicago needs to be able to attend a school that is functional, the gangs are a dysfunction that impacts the CPS but doesn't drive how CPS decisions should be made.

But the schools thing is just the start of a lot of fucked up decisions ANY mayor is gonna hafta make. The question isn't why Rahm did it like that, it's who is Chuy gonna hafta screw to get $550million by December... and here's a guess, kids don't vote.

DVS
19730 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 04:26 PM

37. "Consult, no. Be aware...hell yes"
In response to Reply # 36

I'm not saying that he needed a drop squad intervention on gang culture....but anyone who had any sense of the city would have known the violence that move would initiate.

Let's just leave it at that type of shit ain't that important to you....whereas that type of shit is the crux of what I vote on...and leave it at that **yeshrug**

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:21 AM

21. "CHEW'wehh!!! "
In response to Reply # 0

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 10:44 AM

22. "More on Chuy's "plan" for fixing Chicago... "
In response to Reply # 0

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/445120/editorial-garcia

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:43 AM

24. "i'm ready to elect Rahm president of the debate team."
In response to Reply # 22

and i'm not ready to re-elect him as mayor of Chicago.

fuck you.

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 01:03 PM

28. "But how does Chuy do any of the things he says he'll do?"
In response to Reply # 24

How does he stop closing schools that are underutilized? How does he pay to keep them open?

How does he break the city's contract with the company that runs the red light cameras? Where does the money come from to pay for it and where is the money coming from to make up the lost revenue from them?

How is he going to hire 1,000 new cops if he's talking about taking OT from cops already on the street? How does he pay the OT which the city ran through by the end of Q2 last year?

How does he keep all of his magical promises to the people of Chicago?

No one's told me his plan.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 01:15 PM

29. "i dunno. and i'm still voting for him."
In response to Reply # 28

>No one's told me his plan.

i dunno it either. i expect he'll lay it out at one of the future debates.

even if he doesn't i'll still likely vote for him. b/c even w/o a solid plan i think he's better for Chicago than Rahm.

fuck you.

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 01:47 PM

30. "WOW, that's some astonishingly poor decision making... "
In response to Reply # 29

I mean, there are literally billions of reasons to care about Garcia's plan (or lack thereof) and your response is "He'll figure it out."

Bruh, tell me you aren't serious.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 01:50 PM

31. "yup."
In response to Reply # 30

several weeks before the election i'm expressing interest in voting for a man who has not as of yet shown me his financial plan for the city.

Rahm has laid out a plan and i disfavor it so much (casino? nigga, please) i'm willing to listen to a man who hasn't provided the level of detail Rahm has provided thus far. and if the man never provides a plan i still may vote for him b/c at this point i think even a man w/o a plan is better for Chicago than Rahm w/his plan.

fuck you.

Binladen
Charter member
14123 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 02:52 PM

34. "I read this as Chevy"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12753448 Previous topic | Next topic