Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12752043

Subject: "Serena Williams returns to racist Indian Wells, California" Previous topic | Next topic
neuro_OSX
Member since Oct 29th 2004
1157 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 06:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Serena Williams returns to racist Indian Wells, California"
Sun Mar-15-15 06:13 AM by neuro_OSX

I don't remember hearing about this shit, but I've never really kept up with tennis. I just finished watching the Jack Johnson documentary "Unforgivable Blackness", so the shit really hit home that in 2001 white folks were still on this kinda shit.

The crowd not only booed Serena and yelled racial slurs, they also booed her sister Venus and their father.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/03/serena_williams_indian_wells_boycott_serena_s_return_to_the_bnp_paribas.html

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Even the announcers were cowards
Mar 15th 2015
What irks me are the news reports that still say "alledged" racist taunt...
Mar 15th 2015
That's one of the precautions in journalism
Mar 15th 2015
im too lazy to google. can someone youtube me?
Mar 15th 2015
Need to read Serena's account. Also why were there any Jeers?
Mar 15th 2015
      obviously there is a line crossed here, but jeers are to be expected
Mar 15th 2015
      back when the Williamses were new
Mar 15th 2015

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 07:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Even the announcers were cowards"
In response to Reply # 0

Kept describing the hostile crowd as "drama". Drama requires two parties. Crowds booing a 19 year old like that is just pure racial hostility.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 08:22 AM

2. "What irks me are the news reports that still say "alledged" racist taunt..."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Sepia.
Member since Feb 25th 2009
12896 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 09:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "That's one of the precautions in journalism"
In response to Reply # 2

to keep from being sued.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 08:36 AM

3. "im too lazy to google. can someone youtube me?"
In response to Reply # 0

i saw 1 highlight clip & i dunno if the sound was down or what but it seemed like cheers & jeers

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 08:42 AM

4. "Need to read Serena's account. Also why were there any Jeers?"
In response to Reply # 3

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35265 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 08:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "obviously there is a line crossed here, but jeers are to be expected"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun Mar-15-15 08:51 AM by cgonz00cc

its sports

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 10:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "back when the Williamses were new"
In response to Reply # 4

LOTS of the old guard in tennis was MAD. not just b/c they were so Black and unapologetically so, they were also JW and the 2 together made them come across as 'isolationists' w/in the tennis circuit. they kinda kept to themselves and w/good reason.

that's some of the context.

at IW specifically, the sisters were set to meet in the quarters, i think, but Venus w/drew due to an injury. some fans speculated Richard, their father, had fixed the match and that Venus wasn't actually injured. so there was anger at the w/drawal. plus plenty fans and critics were still mad at all of the changes the sisters were bringing to the women's game - their game was about power over finesse, for the most part. most of the women they faced weren't ready for them which is why they were steamrolling through women's tennis. to wit, later that year they began a string of grand slam final appearances - from late 2001 through early 2003 the 2 faced off in every single grand slam championship match. Serena won her 'Serena Slam' by holding all 4 titles at once during this period. so, whitey was VERY MAD and getting MADDER at IW 2001.

fuck you.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12752043 Previous topic | Next topic