Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12749986

Subject: "ATL, now introducing your first official candidates for mayor in 2017" Previous topic | Next topic
Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Thu Mar-12-15 03:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"ATL, now introducing your first official candidates for mayor in 2017"

http://www.peachpundit.com/2015/03/12/cathy-woolard-declares-for-mayor-of-atlanta/

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/03/12/the-race-for-kasim-reeds-job-is-already-taking-shape/

In other words, we have two white women, neither of whom are named Mary Norwood (whom I no longer thing is going to run), ostensibly competing for the same demographic of Atlanta voters. This is made all the more crucial by the potential annexation of Druid Hills: http://www.decaturish.com/2015/03/atlanta-annexation-bill-filed-includes-druid-hills/

Even though he's unofficial at this point, Ceasar Mitchell is still the de facto frontrunner. With Councilman Kwanza Hall unofficially running as well, I'm guessing we're going to get a runoff that, demographically, looks like Reed vs. Norwood back in 2009. Reed only won with 620 votes in that runoff though.

971 days til election day

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
If Kasim runs for senate and Kwanzaa gets the nod, I'm good
Mar 12th 2015
much harder if this happens...
Mar 12th 2015
i want kwanzaa hall! wouldnt mind mitchell*
Mar 17th 2015
i'm #teammitchell
Mar 17th 2015
There could never be another Black Mayor if they annex Druid Hills
Mar 17th 2015
i really don't think that's true
Mar 17th 2015
      Hyperbole...but it does make me think.
Mar 17th 2015
           RE: Hyperbole...but it does make me think.
Mar 17th 2015
ATL residents, dont forget to vote for those funds today
Mar 17th 2015
i'm splitting my vote
Mar 17th 2015
      voting no on the first one and yes on the second? If u don't mind
Mar 17th 2015
           voting this afternoon so I don't know the ordering
Mar 17th 2015
                i see ur point (transportation is 1, facilities 2 btw) but I think that ...
Mar 17th 2015

GameTheory
Member since Jun 06th 2012
1642 posts
Thu Mar-12-15 03:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "If Kasim runs for senate and Kwanzaa gets the nod, I'm good"
In response to Reply # 0

We need ATL to stay black

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Thu Mar-12-15 04:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "much harder if this happens..."
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.decaturish.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/atlanta-annex-N.-Druid-map.pdf

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 06:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i want kwanzaa hall! wouldnt mind mitchell*"
In response to Reply # 0

*this is partly because i met him years ago when i first moved here at a fundraiser and he just seemed to be a really good guy

cathy woolard all i know about her was that she was one of the early ppl instrumental in getting the beltline into motion so props for that--i just dont see how she can connect with other (Black) parts of the city and thats troubling to me

way early so im gonna keep an open mind, but hall is my pick as of now

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:46 AM

8. "i'm #teammitchell"
In response to Reply # 3

i'm ostensibly interested in Peter Aman if he jumps into the race since i'm partial to technocrats, but his ties to Reed mostly makes that a non-starter for me.

-------

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 08:31 AM

4. "There could never be another Black Mayor if they annex Druid Hills"
In response to Reply # 0

But I think the outrage over the Druid Hills High cluster joining APS is enough to rally the community to fight this to the death.

Them folks want no parts of APS.

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 08:51 AM

5. "i really don't think that's true "
In response to Reply # 4

prototype

believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 08:59 AM

6. "Hyperbole...but it does make me think."
In response to Reply # 5

I don't think the annexation will happen. But if it does, the power imbalance will be so uneven until I don't see how a candidate from outside the Druid Hills/Buckhead clusterfuck does not win

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 11:35 AM

7. "RE: Hyperbole...but it does make me think."
In response to Reply # 6

I don't think that will necessarily be the case. As long as you end up with a business-friendly mayor like Reed, then the powers that be in that part of town will continue to expend most of their political energy at the Metro Atlanta or Georgia Chambers rather than at City Hall. And none of the assumed candidates have reputations as agitators or provocateurs, so I don't see that relationship changing any time soon.

-------

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:45 PM

9. "ATL residents, dont forget to vote for those funds today"
In response to Reply # 0

prototype

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 12:51 PM

10. "i'm splitting my vote"
In response to Reply # 9

-------

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 02:47 PM

11. "voting no on the first one and yes on the second? If u don't mind "
In response to Reply # 10

I voted yes for both, Altho i kno longer drive I was always very annoyed by how bad some of the steers were in the city and I think more traffic light coordination would be a boon

prototype

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 03:24 PM

12. "voting this afternoon so I don't know the ordering"
In response to Reply # 11

yes on transportation, no on facilities.

most of the transportation stuff is important because it's associated long overdue upgrades associated with federally mandated ADA compliance orders and decades of can-kicking (traffic light synchronizing, for instance).

facilities, though...

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2015/02/16/should-atlanta-spend-175-million-on-an-indoor-pool

spending a quarter of what's being asked for facilities on that one specific project seems a bit egregious IMO.

more importantly, the fact that bond referendum is necessary for such basic infrastructure upkeep is ludicrous IMO. like why aren't these things better integrated with general fund budgeting?

-------

blkprinceMD05
41323 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 03:37 PM

13. "i see ur point (transportation is 1, facilities 2 btw) but I think that ..."
In response to Reply # 12

And other rec/city facilities are important to the quality of life of residents. It *shouldn't* take this kinda effort to have those things up to par but it *is* so I'm gonna support it.

prototype

Lobby General Discussion topic #12749986 Previous topic | Next topic