Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12748220

Subject: "what kind of trouble is my friend looking at (OK Law post)?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"what kind of trouble is my friend looking at (OK Law post)?"
Wed Mar-11-15 12:21 PM by Nodima

so I get a text from my friend late last night saying she was in major trouble and talking to the police and that her car was fucked and she was going to jail with no further information. this morning she calls me and gives the following information, and I'm just really curious what kind of penalties she's most likely to be facing. I understand this obviously changes from state to state and judge to judge but it sounds like...terrible things could be on the horizon:

A) She does not remember any of this
B) Committed a hit and run on a parked car (no personal injury)
C) Her driver's side tire is blown and she apparently drove to the house she stayed at on her rim
D) Her bumper is also caved in, along with the grill dented
E) She was heavily intoxicated at the time (why she didn't remember) but apparently was not cited for DUI or DWI (yes, she's an incredibly cute, short white girl)
F) She was NOT taken to jail, not even the drunk tank

G) Her license was suspended for the past two years due to an unpaid traffic ticket she spaced off / ignored, though she finally paid the ticket, new license fee and reinstatement fee in the past month; she had not, however, received her new license to my knowledge and I helped her handle all that payment stuff

I don't really have a question about fines, that's obviously up to the state. but I am curious how much / will she face jail time (I am assuming the answer is yes...) and if she can retroactively be charged with DUI if she's unable to adequately explain how the accident happened or where she was intending to drive. the ticket says she caused the accident on a street roughly 8 miles from where she eventually stopped, in a neighborhood she's never been to out in the suburbs.

truthfully I'm just amazed she didn't do anything worse, or done something sooner considering she has a history of getting drunk and just ghosting in her car, but typically she just goes to one of a couple ex boyfriends' and crashes. but I'm also super curious what kind of penalty she could be facing. All I can dig up on my own is a non-personal injury H&R is a misdemeanor with a year's license suspension, but the circumstances clearly point to a DUI (that wasn't issued at the time of the citation, and she was not taken to jail) and I'm a little worried she'll get a substantial jail sentence when I'd hope she can just get the fine and I can convince her to go to AA (I am a drinker, but did 15 months AA just to try it and enjoyed myself fine those 15 months; she's never seemed to believe that's possible when I've mentioned it in the past).

even if I don't get any sound legal opinions here or any replies at all, I'm currently vowed to secrecy from anyone we know other than her immediate family so I'm also just using this as a venting spot. I'm struggling to hold back laughter honestly because it's so bizarre to me, and sad.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
how could they site her for DUI if she drove home?
Mar 11th 2015
lol
Mar 11th 2015
      he makes it sound like cops were on the scene and let her go...
Mar 11th 2015
that ' an incredibly cute, short white girl' will be just fine.
Mar 11th 2015
lol, I replied, then reread and saw that line
Mar 11th 2015
RE: that ' an incredibly cute, short white girl' will be just fine.
Mar 11th 2015
I don't give legal advice here.
Mar 11th 2015
pssht...fck that privileged broad...let her rot UNDER the jail...
Mar 11th 2015
smh
Mar 11th 2015
      he's kinda right tho...
Mar 11th 2015
           true but that isn't what this post is about
Mar 11th 2015
pics?
Mar 11th 2015
RE: pics?
Mar 11th 2015
If she has money shes fine
Mar 11th 2015
I had a friend in Cali who did something similar
Mar 11th 2015
Something similar happened to my next door neighbors
Mar 11th 2015
sounds about right
Mar 11th 2015
Driving while drunk/impaired isn't cool, at all
Mar 11th 2015

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79325 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "how could they site her for DUI if she drove home? "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-11-15 12:25 PM by legsdiamond

sounds like the worst they can get her for is wreckless driving or hit and run.

oh, I'm definitely not a lawyer so who knows...

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "lol"
In response to Reply # 1

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 01:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "he makes it sound like cops were on the scene and let her go..."
In response to Reply # 9

cause she's cute.

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:28 PM

2. "that ' an incredibly cute, short white girl' will be just fine."
In response to Reply # 0

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 01:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "lol, I replied, then reread and saw that line"
In response to Reply # 2

She'll probably get off with another license suspension and a fine.

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

doublearon258
Member since Sep 04th 2003
3876 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 01:34 PM

17. "RE: that ' an incredibly cute, short white girl' will be just fine."
In response to Reply # 2

ZACKLY!

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I don't give legal advice here."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-11-15 12:31 PM by SoWhat

And this ain't legal advice.

Without knowing the amount of alleged property damage I dunno if she's looking at a felony. Without knowing her history or the judge I dunno if she'll likely be sent to jail.

fuck you.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:34 PM

4. "pssht...fck that privileged broad...let her rot UNDER the jail... "
In response to Reply # 0

Kim Jong Trill
Member since Jan 31st 2012
548 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:41 PM

5. "smh"
In response to Reply # 4

Fuck your fort!

legsdiamond
79325 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 01:15 PM

12. "he's kinda right tho..."
In response to Reply # 5

you get that fucked up you need to sit in a jail and think about it

She may have caught a body or 2 and doesn't even know it.

Kim Jong Trill
Member since Jan 31st 2012
548 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 01:36 PM

18. "true but that isn't what this post is about"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Mar-11-15 01:36 PM by Kim Jong Trill

Fuck your fort!

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:42 PM

6. "pics? "
In response to Reply # 0

of the damage, i mean.

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:53 PM

8. "RE: pics? "
In response to Reply # 6

of the chic... i mean....

depends on how much damage she did...

but even then a good lawyer will keep her out of jail unless she has some priors

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:53 PM

7. "If she has money shes fine "
In response to Reply # 0

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 01:06 PM

10. "I had a friend in Cali who did something similar"
In response to Reply # 0

he was put on house arrest, paid restitution, lost his license forever, and paid some heft fines. He didn't have any priors that i know of, but they found him at his house pretty hammered right after the incident.

given it's different states, that might not be a great predictor for what your friend is looking at. Only to say that it's pretty serious.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22276 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 01:10 PM

11. "Something similar happened to my next door neighbors"
In response to Reply # 0

But they were the ones to get hit.

About 3 AM on a weeknight, we hear a loud crash. I tell my girl don't worry about, just go back to sleep. But immediately after, we start hearing voices. I get up and check what's up outside.

Our neighbors cars had been hit. A pickup truck had scraped along the side of neighbor #1's car and smashed into the back of neighbor #2's car (both parked on the street). In fact, if car #2 hadn't been there, the truck would have plowed through our fence and possible onto our porch.

Anyway, old girl driving the truck gets out and is obviously intoxicated. She asks if she can just give them her name so she can go home & let the insurance handle it. My neighbors obviously aren't going for it.

After arguing for a while, she goes ahead and walks to her crib which is in the next block. The cops finally arrive and get her for leaving the scene of a hit & run and something else (reckless op maybe?). They couldn't get her for a DUI because she had gone to her house from the accident scene and they couldn't show she was drunk while operating the vehicle. They also took her license & she can only go back & forth to work.

I'm not sure of what the laws are in your state but your girl's story sounded a little similar to this.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10114 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 01:30 PM

15. "sounds about right"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed Mar-11-15 01:34 PM by Crash Bandacoot

>

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 01:20 PM

14. "Driving while drunk/impaired isn't cool, at all"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-11-15 01:32 PM by 8-bit

Like AT ALL. She very easily could have killed someone. I kinda want to say what was said in post #4, but it's already been said.

I'm not a lawyer, so take this with a bag of salt, but I doubt she could be charged with a DUI without any evidence of her actually being intoxicated during the event (sobriety check, blood test, etc).

Edit: Fuck, just saw this:

>yes, she's an incredibly cute, short white girl

That changes things in ways I'm not entitled to know. I was guessing she was black.

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

Lobby General Discussion topic #12748220 Previous topic | Next topic