Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12747851

Subject: "and just like that, my IBS issues are clearing up" Previous topic | Next topic
initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"and just like that, my IBS issues are clearing up"
Wed Mar-11-15 09:08 AM by initiationofplato

I want to share my story because I think it would be helpful for others, especially if you are diagnosed with gut problems.

I began experiencing gut problems almost 6 month's ago. The first doctor thought it may be ulcers and scheduled an endoscopy for me to check it out.

The night before my endoscopy I had severe food poisoning. The doctor who performed the endoscopy told me my stomach lining was badly inflamed, and that my stomach had too much acid in it.

I was prescribed prescription ant acids. I stopped drinking alcohol, coffee, and stopped eating spice to follow the doctor's orders.

My problems began to get worse and I also developed dermatographism. You can write your name on my skin with your nail and it will stay there for a long time in nice red raised type. This is also called skin writing.

I became depressed in the past 2 month's and literally stopped eating as it wrought too many problems. One of the doctors doubled up on the ant acids and the problem got even worse. I fainted on the bus due to undernourishment and exhaustion. I'm 6.2, I need to eat and I was not eating anything. I went for month's surviving on an apple and a banana, and a sporadic vegan inspired diet.

My girlfriend is on track to become a doctor and she solved my case when 7 doctors couldn't figure it out. The original diagnosis was wrong. I did not have an over active and acidic stomach, but in fact, an under-active stomach with a low acid count. **The symptoms for an overactive and under-active stomach are the same.**

Low acid count also leads to skin issues because there is not enough acid in the stomach to sanitize what you are eating and thus it shows up on your skin. It leads to a slew of other problems as well.

The cure? dosing with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar after meals, and guess what, my skin issues are clearing up, and my stomach is calm and silent, and I am enjoying full meals again without wanting to kill myself.

6 month's of needless suffering due to a misdiagnosis, which created a chain reaction of poor decisions by the follow up doctors. I grilled every doctor about the possibility of a misdiagnosis, I asked them if I perhaps had too little acid, etc. They all said no and kept giving me ant acids. Long story short, they were making me sicker and could not figure it out.

Finally, the icing on the cake. The original doctor who looked me in the eye and said that I had "severe inflammation and acid" to my face, wrote on his report that I had "minimal acid". WTF.

I found this out last week at my last appointment when the 6th doctor requested a copy of his report. We both read it and wondered why he wrote "minimal" and told me "severe" to my face. He lied to me.

That night my gf connected all the dots. She gave me some apple cider vinegar and my stomach finally stfu, after month's of torment. I think my food poisoning interfered with the original doctors diagnosis causing him to believe that I had too much acid, but why he wrote "minimal" on his report I will never know. I took his diagnosis forward to every doctor and told them all that I had "severe acid" which contributed to the making of my own personal hell.

Word to the wise. Doctors are flawed and rely too much on traditional methods to consider alternative possibilities. If you are ever diagnosed with too much acid in your stomach, or are experiencing heart burn, do yourself a favor and do a simple acid test. Take a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar, if you feel a burning sensation right away, it's too much acid, if you feel nothing, it means you may have an under-active stomach. Don't take ant acids unless you are sure as they can ruin your life.

FML.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
great post for real...damn. question: prescription antacids?
Mar 11th 2015
For sure. I'm showering her with gifts already.
Mar 11th 2015
      typical....one of the key ways the American health care structure is FAI...
Mar 11th 2015
           Noone referred me to a dietician.
Mar 11th 2015
Were you going to a university hospital?
Mar 11th 2015
No, this was a full legit hospital, as well as a clinic.
Mar 11th 2015
      what university/med school is it affiliated with?
Mar 11th 2015
           I don't know, however, even if I did.
Mar 11th 2015
that's what's up. Glad to hear.
Mar 11th 2015
Thank you!
Mar 11th 2015
Do acv tablets work as well?
Mar 11th 2015
Not sure about that, and I felt the same way.
Mar 11th 2015
doctors don't do enough testing
Mar 11th 2015

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "great post for real...damn. question: prescription antacids? "
In response to Reply # 0

you owe your girlfriend big time!!

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:12 AM

3. "For sure. I'm showering her with gifts already. "
In response to Reply # 1

They prescribed Pantoprazole, and later told me to double up on it.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:16 AM

6. "typical....one of the key ways the American health care structure is FAI..."
In response to Reply # 3

drug the problem...
don't prevent & fix the problem...

Did you see a dietitian at all or were you referred to one by any of the doctors?

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:24 AM

8. "Noone referred me to a dietician."
In response to Reply # 6

One of the doctors told me that I may have Celiac disease, and they all said IBS.

I was referred to an endoscopist, an allergist, a dermatologist, and finally a colonoscopist, LOL. I did not have the colonoscopy yet and am going to cancel it.

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:11 AM

2. "Were you going to a university hospital?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't trust community hospitals for shit.

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:13 AM

4. "No, this was a full legit hospital, as well as a clinic."
In response to Reply # 2

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:16 AM

7. "what university/med school is it affiliated with?"
In response to Reply # 4

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:25 AM

9. "I don't know, however, even if I did."
In response to Reply # 7

I don't think it would be wise for me to share. I like to stay 100% anonymous and don't tell people where I live on the internet. Sorry about that.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "that's what's up. Glad to hear."
In response to Reply # 0

-->

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 09:25 AM

10. "Thank you!"
In response to Reply # 5

Sepia.
Member since Feb 25th 2009
12896 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Do acv tablets work as well?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been recommended acv as well, but the smell is waaaaay too much for me.
Like, even when I used it in my hair, I would be *this* close to throwing up.
I can't imagine putting it in my mouth.

initiationofplato
2420 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:13 AM

12. "Not sure about that, and I felt the same way."
In response to Reply # 11

My gf used it on her face several times and I thought I was going to lose my lunch, however, after I found out that it helps me, it became my ambrosia, and I will literally sip on it slowly and inhale the vapors, to savor every smelly fume it produces.

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "doctors don't do enough testing"
In response to Reply # 0

i think it's mostly a cost issue too

nobody complains about insurance costs as long as pharm industry is getting paid...

but paying labs to run tests

or doing actual bloodwork for unknown issues is rare as shit now it seems like...

the last few illnesses it basically was just doctors hearing symptoms...guessing...prescribing...and hoping it fixes the issue or hoping u don't die as a result

i had a skin infection of some sort despite taking antibiotics for a separate staph infection...

i got the staph infection from an issue after removal of a toenail...she did the right thing and took a culture AND prescribed the anti-biotic...i assumed the skin/hand issue was related but the prescription helped my foot issue but not my hand/skin issue

went to another doctor (not the previous podiatrist to get the skin/hand irritation/infection checked out) zero tests...prescribed a different antibiotic assuming i had a whole new infection that wasn't responding to the original antibiotics

the irritation went away with time rather than the new prescription

it was still extremely frustrating though

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

Lobby General Discussion topic #12747851 Previous topic | Next topic