Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12747166

Subject: "On Long Distance Relationships: What's your opinion? Good or Bad" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"On Long Distance Relationships: What's your opinion? Good or Bad"

I usually don't tell my personal business on here (except for my son). But it's 2015 and I promised y'all that I would do better. So, I have embarked on a long-distance relationship. And I have to tell you, this is very different for me and I'm hoping that it will work.

I met the young lady over the Thanksgiving holiday in VA. But I live in the ATL and she lives in NYC. Nevertheless, from the time that I met her on 11/29/2014 we have only missed about 3 days without talking. She has been down to the ATL twice to spend the MLK Holiday weekend in Jan with me and the other time was for an whole week in Feb. During both visits we had amazing times and our chemistry is great.

To be honest, I meet a lot of quality and beautiful women in the "A", but this sister is special and we are on the same page about a lot of things and life. She's different for my normal professional, educated, model chick that I normally date. And I say that because I needed someone that didn't fit the same old mold and standard. I needed someone that was just as beautiful on the inside and she is on the outside, focused, motivated and grounded about life. Well, she is all of those things and more. She's a real Woman's Woman and a great conversational. We text every day and she's very supportive and motivating about life. She's like a breath for fresh air.

I know that this sound crazy, but we recently decided to make it official as a couple. It was kind of easy for me since I had slowly let the other straggles drift off. I guess I was anticipating this moment. But at the same time it's still crazy for me because I'm the kind of dude that likes to spend QT and romance time with that special lady. Yeah, Facetime helps, but it's not the same. I recently sent some flowers unexpectedly to her job - got 100 point for that..LOL

I need to set up a travel date this month to go see her. I'm willing to try and make this a success. It's just all new.

Anyway, I'm open and wiling to hear suggestions. So if you have'em let'em fly.

"Today is your day to have a better life -- it's your right."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I can do medium-distance, but not long-distance
Mar 10th 2015
Man, I've haven't don't this kind of distance since the Army
Mar 10th 2015
They aren't good or bad, they are just difficult.
Mar 10th 2015
And I'm face-to-face kind of a cat.
Mar 10th 2015
      to me that kind of stuff is largely a nuisance/hard to maintain
Mar 10th 2015
           Like my dad say's, "keep it in the slow lane."
Mar 10th 2015
long distance makes sense if yall are already in lurve
Mar 10th 2015
This is exactly how I feel
Mar 10th 2015
been there done that, wouldnt do it again personally
Mar 10th 2015
Yeah, you never really know a person until you marry them
Mar 10th 2015
too much work
Mar 10th 2015
Yeah, we both know it's gonna be some work.
Mar 10th 2015
I've personally had bad luck even trying to get to know a girl LD
Mar 10th 2015
Dude, Out chemistry in person is amazing.
Mar 10th 2015
things move faster and yet slower at the same time in LDRs
Mar 10th 2015
True that.
Mar 10th 2015
long distance is the wrong distance
Mar 10th 2015
That good double edge sword.
Mar 10th 2015
get that Highway Ministry poppin!
Mar 10th 2015
you gotta have a plan...
Mar 10th 2015
We have a plan and we're trying to work it out.
Mar 10th 2015
someone better make plans to move or cut the cord
Mar 10th 2015
Plans are in the works.
Mar 10th 2015

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I can do medium-distance, but not long-distance"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm defining "medium" as less than four hours driving (roughly NYC to DC). That way, we could potentially see each other whenever, including random nights (just gotta get up early to do that XXXL commute back).

Long-distance is just too much for me. Trains, buses and even cars become unrealistic at that distance. Having to book a flight to see my beau just ain't happening for me.

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 04:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Man, I've haven't don't this kind of distance since the Army"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Mar-10-15 04:09 PM by Case_One

But she's willing to do these plane trips. I guess after my so graduates in May I will see about relocating if it gets that serious.

She's looking to leave NYC anyway too.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:57 PM

2. "They aren't good or bad, they are just difficult. "
In response to Reply # 0

I've have had three significant ones and then a lot of other ones that were more casual. In a business where you work nights and travel a ton, a local relationship can feel long distance, too (and, for my colleagues, LDRs are also common).

They are not easy to manage but they can be cool. In some ways there is less pressure. In some ways there is a lot more doubts.

One thing to think about early on is how much you can realistically see each other and I don't mean on Skype or any shit like that. ATL-NYC is a common route but we are still talking a plane ride.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 04:10 PM

10. "And I'm face-to-face kind of a cat. "
In response to Reply # 2

I'm going to see how long we can keep up this Facetime in the meantime.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 04:12 PM

12. "to me that kind of stuff is largely a nuisance/hard to maintain"
In response to Reply # 10

i dunno man, just enjoy it for what it is now but make sure you can actually see each other, like in person. honeymoon phase won't be shit without the fucking amirite?

then from there if you can still tolerate each other, you'll figure out how to close the gaps.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 04:13 PM

14. "Like my dad say's, "keep it in the slow lane.""
In response to Reply # 12

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:00 PM

3. "long distance makes sense if yall are already in lurve"
In response to Reply # 0

and theres a no distance plan on the table for some time in the future

i've been in this scenario and made it work

but otherwise its generally speaking not a great look imo, if yall are just getting to know each other, or if the distance is indefinite

__

fairweather

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "This is exactly how I feel "
In response to Reply # 3

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "been there done that, wouldnt do it again personally"
In response to Reply # 0

I truly loved her but my job made it so that it wasn't realistic that I would move out of my city in the foreseeable future... same with her, she was in school... the time we shared was great though...

I do remember spending a 2-3 weeks stretch at her place one time and seeing a side of her personality that I wasn't aware... daily texts and convos on the phone will only let u know so much about someone.... even married couple will tell u there's a difference between dating someone and living with them... when they r in ur face 24/7, u get to see if yall really meant to be together....

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 04:11 PM

11. "Yeah, you never really know a person until you marry them"
In response to Reply # 4

So, this will a difficult, but not impossible task.

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:28 PM

5. "too much work"
In response to Reply # 0

Been there a couple of times when i was younger, but since im grown, if you are more than 30 minutes away, its not worth it.

We can just chill from time to time but no relationship.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 04:06 PM

8. "Yeah, we both know it's gonna be some work. "
In response to Reply # 5

Work that I hope we can sustain.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:46 PM

7. "I've personally had bad luck even trying to get to know a girl LD"
In response to Reply # 0

And the main thing was that the phone convos were great both times. Like almost too good. But the chemistry in person was waaaaaaay off, even though we actually met in person (as opposed to meeting online AND long distance).

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 04:12 PM

13. "Dude, Out chemistry in person is amazing. "
In response to Reply # 7

Regina Rose
Member since Jul 01st 2008
7349 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 05:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "things move faster and yet slower at the same time in LDRs"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-10-15 05:18 PM by Regina Rose

you may say 'I love you' even though you've only seen this person once which can be viewed as fast

but it takes longer for people's "representative" to drop down if ever it does

--
the one thing one should always be aware of is how unconsciously you both will put forth an effort for your meetings to be perfect because they are rare which can cause you to ignore things or skip over issues because you don't want to 'ruin your short trip' however if they came up in a 'normal' relationship they would get dealt in one way or another

edit: I realized I didn't answer the question.. I've done it and it was LONG distance 6 hours time difference north america-europe and we were together for a long time I *personally* will never ever do that again with no end date (that's not marriage) and to be really honest I'd rather get dropped kicked in the chest than to go through that again.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 05:30 PM

18. "True that. "
In response to Reply # 15

NikaMandela
Charter member
35230 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 05:24 PM

16. "long distance is the wrong distance"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-10-15 05:25 PM by NikaMandela

but hey if youre waiting until marriage for sex then long distance is much more manageable. good luck!

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 05:30 PM

17. "That good double edge sword. "
In response to Reply # 16

LOL

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 06:49 PM

19. "get that Highway Ministry poppin! "
In response to Reply # 0

But in 2015....with all the technology available to be able to actually SEE a person daily.....I dunno that it should be as big an issue as it once was. Knowing that you're a 'man of the cloth', and physical intimacy isn't a major factor, I can't see a valid reason not to go forth.
GET DIS MONEY!!!!.....
err..wrong post..sorry...

but yeah.
GET DIS LOVE!!!!

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:08 PM

20. "you gotta have a plan..."
In response to Reply # 0

if you're just kinda seeing how shit goes it's not likely to work but if you have to be apart for a period of time because of a job or whatever but you got a plan to reunite in due time then at least you have something to shoot for. i think that's the only way it works...otherwise it's too hard to stay motivated to making it work.

i tried once...we failed. we didn't have a plan.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 10:21 PM

23. "We have a plan and we're trying to work it out. "
In response to Reply # 20

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 10:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "someone better make plans to move or cut the cord"
In response to Reply # 0

before you get in too deep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 10:18 PM

22. "Plans are in the works. "
In response to Reply # 21

Well, we are thinking about.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12747166 Previous topic | Next topic