Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12747043

Subject: "Can White Privilege Work for Black People?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 01:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Can White Privilege Work for Black People?"

It's raise and bonus time of year and if there is one place I fall short professionally it's raising hell like my white co-workers.

Basically, they are never satisfied with their pay, title and what not and have no problem raising all sorts of caine to get paid what they think they are worth.

I look at them like "If I was the boss, I'd tell you to beat it and if you think you should get paid more good luck to you finding a job that will pay that".

But it never occurs to them that that's the case or they will be told that. I've seen plenty of them go in to demand a raise while folks are contemplating firing them. Happens all the time.

I'm the type who would wait for another job offer before going into the boss's office to ask for more pay and better title while my white co-workers go in and demand it based on, well, I am guessing that good privilege.

Can I do that? Or is it not going to work because, well, I am not white and it's called "WHITE Privilege".

Can anyone LEAN IN?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It ain't what you're worth it's what you negotiate
Mar 10th 2015
this seems to the the linchpin here
Mar 10th 2015
Naw they get fired.
Mar 10th 2015
This post doesn't make alotta sense.
Mar 10th 2015
i think audacity may be the word buddy was going for
Mar 10th 2015
Wait you mean I literally can't deploy White Privilege?
Mar 11th 2015

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 01:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It ain't what you're worth it's what you negotiate"
In response to Reply # 0

The privillage allows them to feign outrage and threats (ie bitch and moan). We can't use those tactics but if you're two steps ahead you can work that shit before it becomes an issue which is actually a better position to be in.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 01:37 PM

2. "this seems to the the linchpin here"
In response to Reply # 0

>But it never occurs to them that that's the case or they will
>be told that. I've seen plenty of them go in to demand a raise
>while folks are contemplating firing them. Happens all the
>time.
>

contemplating

they are contemplating but do they really do it?

no?

then there's your answer

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 01:42 PM

4. "Naw they get fired. "
In response to Reply # 2

I see people who probably could have slipped under the radar but because they demanded more pay force the hand and end up fired.

Knowing all these stories and how it plays out keeps me in check even though I know that I am much better at my job.

Gross generalization: Black people aren't surprised when they are fired and know it is coming almost half the time. White folks stay caught off guard when they get fired (on some "Wanted to see me boss?" when they get called into the bosses office).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14018 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 01:38 PM

3. "This post doesn't make alotta sense."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-10-15 01:40 PM by Boogie Stimuli

You can do it, because you work there.

And if you can do it, it's not white privilege, since you're Black... perhaps you have
some other kind of privilege at work for you. You might have some coon or sellout privilege...
or hell, just good worker privilege. That's always a good one to have. Use it.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 01:43 PM

5. "i think audacity may be the word buddy was going for"
In response to Reply # 3

just off the fact that he mentions them getting fired above.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 05:30 PM

6. "Wait you mean I literally can't deploy White Privilege?"
In response to Reply # 3

No shit sherlock. Don't be so literal.

Let's move past the signifier and focus on the signified.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12747043 Previous topic | Next topic