Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12746594

Subject: "CIAA Tourney Needs Basketball Fans, Not Partygoers...swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
Geah
Member since Feb 16th 2007
48407 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"CIAA Tourney Needs Basketball Fans, Not Partygoers...swipe"
Tue Mar-10-15 09:19 AM by Geah

http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/03/03/c-tournament-needs-basketball-fans-not-party-goers-maintain-rich-legacy/

The C.I.A.A. (known as the “C-I-Double A”) ranks as the most prestigious and well-attended basketball tournament for Black colleges, and has been since its inception in 1945-46. But in the last decade, it has little by little floated away from its legacy of supporting member schools and social wonderment into party central. And that’s not cool.
It might sound extreme, but the future of this beloved conference tournament that has produced countless leaders in various industries is troubled. The future of many potential professional athletes could be in doubt if the need for corporate infusion and twerking does not find a middle ground.

Tens of thousands of people flocked into Charlotte last weekend for the CIAA Tournament—and perhaps 90 percent of them did not attend a single basketball game.
But close to 100 percent of the “fans” attended day parties, night parties and after-parties. This is not to say socializing should be minimized. Indeed, the CIAA might be the originator and the perfector of the day-party, those afternoon delights that are just as thumping as one would expect at a party held during traditional evening events.

It is a concept that has caught on nationwide and it can be liberating to enjoy.
But at what price? Meaning, people literally travel for hours to Charlotte to party, which means the essence of the tournament—founded to showcase Black college talent and serve as an opportunity for students and alumni of the participating schools to fellowship—has morphed into a corporate money grab.

Major sponsors and promoters, seeking to take advantage of that trillion dollars in African-American spending power, create events and concerts that add a nice element to the weekend…if it did not take away from the genuine purpose of the occasion.
Many alums who would make the annual trip to Norfolk or Richmond or Raleigh or Winston Salem—other past CIAA Tournament sites—have been priced out by greedy hotels and scared away by young party-goers whose primary focus is to “wild out.”
There was a gentler, warmer time for the CIAA Tournament, and it was not that long ago.

During that period, the games were packed and the parties were fun, not potentially dangerous. Mr. CIAA, a gentleman who would parade around the arena in colorful suits, was a form of entertainment. Fashion was a theme, often with women sporting fur coats and men dapper in suits and ties. Not anymore, although Mr. CIAA refuses to be run out.
The box scores from the games do not even post attendance numbers, as box scores are supposed to. Instead, the box score from the men’s championship game read: “Attendance: 0.”

Could that be a way of not disclosing to sponsors how few people actually go to the games?
It also is not cool that CIAA officials had to use the start of the week to distance the tournament from a shooting at a concert featuring rappers T.I. and Young Jeezy and a stabbing at another “CIAA party.”
Derek Ross, a spokesman for the CIAA tournament, said the events where the violence occurred were “unaffiliated with the CIAA. It’s unfortunate, but it’s not a thing we have control over.”

Mr. CIAA has been a fixture at the tournament for decades.

He said tournament leaders try to encourage attendees to go to events sanctioned by the CIAA and have tried to dissuade promoters–sometimes with letters from attorneys–from using the CIAA name on advertisements.
“All of our events–and we tried to communicate with our friends through email blasts and social media–are either positioned at the convention center or other official city locations,” Ross said.

“The people coming for the tournament, for the fellowship, for old friends from school, those things that are going on at Time Warner Arena were fine. There are other entities outside of the CIAA itself that host parties. Those entities, they need to step up their security mechanism for security.”

There is no easy solution to this quagmire. Charlotte signed on to host the tournament for another six years. The CIAA brings in $30 million to the city, including 40,000 hotel rooms, the city’s tourism authority said. That many of those rooms cost upwards of $300 a night in Charlotte speaks to the exorbitant price-gouging that keeps away the retiree on fixed income who used to make the CIAA Tournament an annual experience.

This is a conference of enormous history. The gracious Earl Lloyd, who died last week, was the first Black player to play in an NBA game. He played in the CIAA Tournament for West Virginia State. NBA champion Bobby Dandridge played at Norfolk State in the CIAA. Charles Oakley and Ben Wallace, both from Virginia Union, were at the tournament last week.

Hall of Famer Earl “The Pearl” Monroe played at Winston Salem; Detroit Piston “Bad Boy” champion Rick Mahorn played at Hampton in the CIAA; Curly Neal of the Harlem Globetrotters went to Johnson C. Smith; Al Attles from North Carolina A&T coached the Golden State Warriors to the 1975 NBA championship. The list of remarkable, accomplished CIAA products is extensive.

When Norfolk State, Hampton and other schools bolted for the MEAC, the conference was hurt by the talent it lost, but not in its tradition. The CIAA is bigger than any school.
It is a legacy that is beyond reproach in African-American college athletics. It was founded in 1912 as the Colored Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. “Colored” was replaced with “Central,” a sign of progress. The focus has to be on preserving this history, and not making it the place to come to party day and night.

By the way, for those who were “at” the CIAA Tournament but not really at the tournament, Livingstone College won the men’s side of the Tournament for the second straight year. Virginia State won the women’s title.

@geahuwine

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this swipe needs editing.
Mar 10th 2015
word
Mar 10th 2015
Edit These
Mar 10th 2015
Edit these nuts.
Mar 10th 2015
      lol
Mar 10th 2015
      The fuck u think i meant in the first reply
Mar 10th 2015
           *pats head*
Mar 10th 2015
DANG!
Mar 10th 2015
The HBCU's of he CIAA did this to themselves.
Mar 10th 2015
That's not true at all.
Mar 10th 2015
I didn't say it was an absolute.
Mar 10th 2015
      I agree in part.
Mar 10th 2015
           Yeah the SWAC and MEAC needs to do better
Mar 10th 2015
                CIAA has too much history though...
Mar 10th 2015
                     Oh yeah. I'm form Norfolk. We were all about that CIAA
Mar 10th 2015
                     The history is in danger. We're losing recipes ® Mr. Irvin
Mar 10th 2015
Black folks always gotta turn up!
Mar 10th 2015
Sounds like they're failing to adapt to a culture change
Mar 10th 2015
CIAA been trash since Hampton and Norfolk State left
Mar 10th 2015
I got into it with one of my frat brothers on FB about this
Mar 10th 2015
RE: I got into it with one of my frat brothers on FB about this
Mar 10th 2015
CIAA does well for an HBCU tourney
Mar 10th 2015
      the acc tourney crowd is always weak when its not in gboro
Mar 10th 2015
RE: CIAA Tourney Needs Basketball Fans, Not Partygoers...swipe
Mar 10th 2015
Basketball in general is on a decline though.....
Mar 10th 2015
how so?
Mar 10th 2015
i'm just cising....I don't know shit about current basketball....
Mar 10th 2015
lol
Mar 10th 2015
      i wasn't even gonna acknowledge that shit..
Mar 10th 2015
the games are easily the least entertaining part of the weekend
Mar 10th 2015
running joke in Charlotte is "who won the tourney?"
Mar 10th 2015
I didn't know it was that big, I might try to go next year, lol
Mar 10th 2015
do you like big ass crowds? If so, you will love it.
Mar 10th 2015
whoever wrote this hasn't gone to the games
Mar 10th 2015
right, is it really that different from SB, ASG, big boxing matches etc....
Mar 10th 2015
i used to go way bk when it was at the norfolk scope & it was packed
Mar 10th 2015

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this swipe needs editing."
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59167 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "word"
In response to Reply # 1

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Geah
48407 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:18 AM

3. "Edit These"
In response to Reply # 1

@geahuwine

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Edit these nuts."
In response to Reply # 3

^ see what i did there?

fuck you.

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:20 AM

6. "lol"
In response to Reply # 5

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Geah
48407 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:35 AM

9. "The fuck u think i meant in the first reply "
In response to Reply # 5

@geahuwine

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:39 AM

12. "*pats head*"
In response to Reply # 9

bless your heart.

you don't see what i did there.

fuck you.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:19 AM

4. "DANG! "
In response to Reply # 1

"Today is your day to have a better life -- it's your right."

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:23 AM

7. "The HBCU's of he CIAA did this to themselves. "
In response to Reply # 0

HBCU are notorious for only doing three things at any game, Walking Around, Watching the Band (when available) and leaving early to go party.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "That's not true at all."
In response to Reply # 7

The issue isn't the schools, it's really everyone else that comes that have no allegiance to any of the teams playing. The schools themselves do a pretty good job of selling tickets for the most part.

CIAA became more than a basketball tournament decades ago. And all of the cities that big for it know that.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:58 AM

17. "I didn't say it was an absolute. "
In response to Reply # 11

But you cannot deny the culture of what I pointed out.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "I agree in part."
In response to Reply # 17

The issue isn't the member schools, it's really that the SWAC or the MEAC haven't been able to replicate this success at this level.

But you know how we do. Especially if the team isn't very good. After your school gets eliminated, it's party time.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:40 AM

23. "Yeah the SWAC and MEAC needs to do better"
In response to Reply # 18

>The issue isn't the member schools, it's really that the SWAC
>or the MEAC haven't been able to replicate this success at
>this level.
>
>But you know how we do. Especially if the team isn't very
>good. After your school gets eliminated, it's party time.

Yeah. The Drinks start before the game and last all night...lol

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:58 AM

26. "CIAA has too much history though..."
In response to Reply # 23

it's the oldest conference...

MEAC are still babies...most of the schools in the conference were CIAA...LOL...

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:59 AM

27. "Oh yeah. I'm form Norfolk. We were all about that CIAA"
In response to Reply # 26

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 01:21 PM

28. "The history is in danger. We're losing recipes ® Mr. Irvin"
In response to Reply # 26

The students don't go nearly as much as they used to. They're priced out of the market. It's a dangerous place to be in. But, they're doing things to entice the students to go. MEAC and SWAC don't have a clue. But to their credit, the SWAC is closer to getting it together than the MEAC.

homer_pimpson225
Member since Apr 28th 2005
8322 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 05:21 PM

36. "Black folks always gotta turn up!"
In response to Reply # 7

---------------

"And I don't like niggas screamin 'live life' when you livin life like a pussy/Green dot goals get sent to my niggas, Lord pray I keep a'pushin!'" © Black Phil Collins

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22255 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:34 AM

8. "Sounds like they're failing to adapt to a culture change"
In response to Reply # 0

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:38 AM

10. "CIAA been trash since Hampton and Norfolk State left"
In response to Reply # 0

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:48 AM

13. "I got into it with one of my frat brothers on FB about this"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-10-15 09:49 AM by Overqualified

The truth of the matter is that CIAA is the third most attended NCAA tournament...but without the parties and outside events, IT HAS NO VALUE to anyone not associated with the member schools. There are no plain "basketball fans" clamoring to see second rate collegiate basketball. No city begs for the MEAC or SWAC tourneys, so CIAA is in a unique but good position for a small HBCU conference. Unfortunately, the conference leadership had all the leverage in their latest reup with Charlotte but they fucked that deal up, taking much less than what they could have got. They're locked in for six more years at a paltry sum (1.4M split by all schools) compared to what they bring to Charlotte for that weekend, maybe next time they'll be a little more shrewd and that money can help these programs to make the games overall more interesting.

Streets won't let me chill.

Geah
48407 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:54 AM

14. "RE: I got into it with one of my frat brothers on FB about this"
In response to Reply # 13

> There are no plain "basketball fans"
>clamoring to see second rate collegiate basketball.

Go to Branson Missouri and check out the NAIA finals..

@geahuwine

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79544 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:42 AM

24. "CIAA does well for an HBCU tourney"
In response to Reply # 13

People see the 200K that come to party and get mad because the arena looks empty.

Well, watch the ACC tourney, Big 12, etc... all the early rouds are empty as fuck.

ACC tourney in Charlotte was pathetic a few years ago. People need to stop acting like conference tourney games are big draws. That only happens during the championship game or if they get a great match up in the semi's

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85053 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 01:42 PM

29. "the acc tourney crowd is always weak when its not in gboro"
In response to Reply # 24

especially when duke or unc get bounced early

<--- Big Baller World Order

Tiggerific
Member since May 24th 2007
13451 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:56 AM

15. "RE: CIAA Tourney Needs Basketball Fans, Not Partygoers...swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

No allegiance to any of the schools, so I don't go. I have plenty of friends who went to HBCUs in the area and make it their mission to go to the tourney every year. But, I agree, most people go to the parties. They could care less about the games.

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents" - Bob Ross

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

http://bjsquirrelchronicles.blogspot.com

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:57 AM

16. "Basketball in general is on a decline though....."
In response to Reply # 0

but yeah...
CIAA BEEN about party & bullshit....since at least the 90's....

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:33 AM

19. "how so?"
In response to Reply # 16

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:38 AM

21. "i'm just cising....I don't know shit about current basketball.... "
In response to Reply # 19

haven't kept up with it in years.....

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:34 AM

20. "lol"
In response to Reply # 16

=======================================
Coolin...

Geah
48407 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:38 AM

22. "i wasn't even gonna acknowledge that shit.."
In response to Reply # 20

@geahuwine

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85053 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:50 AM

25. "the games are easily the least entertaining part of the weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

you take the good with the bad. the bad being the games in this case.

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
79544 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 01:59 PM

30. "running joke in Charlotte is "who won the tourney?""
In response to Reply # 25

Billy Ray Valentine
Member since Jul 08th 2005
675 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:20 PM

31. "I didn't know it was that big, I might try to go next year, lol"
In response to Reply # 0

"when I was growin' up if we wanted a jacuzzi we had to fart in the tub!"

legsdiamond
79544 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:17 PM

34. "do you like big ass crowds? If so, you will love it. "
In response to Reply # 31

this ain't my thing anymore but it's a mini-freaknik without the warm weather.

jrocc
Charter member
6501 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:07 PM

32. "whoever wrote this hasn't gone to the games"
In response to Reply # 0

my old job used to get tickets to the CIAA games. i've been quite a few times and they were always PACKED. they used to get more people than the Bobcats at the time. girls and boys games both packed.

obviously not everyone in town that weekend is going to the games, but they probably all couldn't even if they wanted to. the games are not suffering from all the parties going on.

Billy Ray Valentine
Member since Jul 08th 2005
675 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:14 PM

33. "right, is it really that different from SB, ASG, big boxing matches etc...."
In response to Reply # 32

where a bunch of folks show up in town to party with no intention of going to the actually event

"when I was growin' up if we wanted a jacuzzi we had to fart in the tub!"

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10135 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:58 PM

35. "i used to go way bk when it was at the norfolk scope & it was packed"
In response to Reply # 32

back then

Lobby General Discussion topic #12746594 Previous topic | Next topic