Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12746190

Subject: ""Black tax" at Charlotte Ritz during CIAA" Previous topic | Next topic
GameTheory
Member since Jun 06th 2012
1642 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 05:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Black tax" at Charlotte Ritz during CIAA"

The ‘Black Tax': Corporation Exploits Black Spending Dollars at HBCU Basketball Tournament

The C.I.A.A. Basketball Tournament, featuring schools from 11 historically Black colleges, attracts tens of thousands of “fans” to Charlotte and brings in $30 million in revenue, the city says. Wonder if it includes the blatant, unexplained price-gouging of the Ritz Carlton.
Visitors to the luxury hotel’s lobby and lounge during the tournament were astounded when they noticed a 15 percent “CIAA service charge” to all checks.

“We thought, ‘That’s interesting,’” said Patrice Wright to Charlotte’s WBTV. She said she and her husband who enjoyed sweet potato fries and two drinks each. When the bill came, it included a charge of $10.20 for “CIAA service charge” in addition to the price of the items and sales tax. “We have frequented the establishment several times and never had any surcharge that was associated with any organization that was in town.”

This “Black tax” is the kind of systemic racism that plagues the Black community across the country and shows up incrementally on occasions where African-Americans are gathered in large numbers. It is powered by the pervasive notion that Black people don’t tip—or tip in accepted percentages. So in comes the “CIAA service charge,” which supports the racist view at the expense of paying Black consumers.

The television station contacted the Ritz-Carlton about the strange “CIAA service charge.”

In an email to WBTV, the hotel said: “Due to the size of the CIAA event, we instituted a modest 15% service charge for our lobby beverage servers, on whom the event places significant demands throughout the weekend.”

Charlotte hosts the ACC Tournament, NASCAR events and other major conventions. Wright said she’s never incurred an extra service charge specific to those events. “Is there an ACC championship surcharge?” she asked. “Is there a Speed Street surcharge? Is there a Belk Bowl surcharge?”

The station asked the Ritz Carlton those questions. The Ritz Carlton did not respond.

“I was shocked,” Wright said. “I was disturbed because I thought that kind of price gouging had been addressed in previous years.”

Tom Murray, chief executive officer of the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, wanted no part of the controversy. “That’s not our decision,” he said to the Charlotte Observer. “Certainly it is their decision to defend whether they thought it was the right thing to do or not. I know it’s common practice in the industry for some restaurants to charge an automatic gratuity for large parties or special circumstances, and that’s what they may have done.”

Murray said private businesses have the option to alter prices if they choose. He said the CRVA was not aware of the CIAA service charge until the network brought it to its attention.

Murray tried to defend it, saying: “I think what it really. . . was an automatic gratuity. . . It certainly wasn’t a CIAA surcharge—that was misleading, and I think that was problematic.”

Patrice Wright said no Ritz employees told her or her husband about the CIAA service charge or automatic gratuity before or after the bill arrived.

“We left a gratuity in addition to the CIAA surcharge,” she said. “I’ve been to several different conventions and conferences, and we went to the Ritz and I’ve never seen that before. And if they had to do it, it should be blanket. It should not be identified by CIAA.”

Via: http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/03/05/the-black-tax-corporation-exploits-black-spending-dollars-at-hbcu-basketball-tournament/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the "niggas don't tip" gratuity
Mar 09th 2015
/post
Mar 09th 2015
pretty much. some spots make it 18%
Mar 09th 2015
yep, it goes down at a few places in Atlanta, just on regular nights
Mar 09th 2015
hotel prices go up during major events?
Mar 09th 2015
they don't add a 15% gratuity and call it the ACC Tax.
Mar 09th 2015
you are correct... but then again, ACC went back to Greensboro because t...
Mar 09th 2015
it's called supply and demand but this is ridiculous
Mar 10th 2015
this was a service charge on food @ the hotel restaurant.
Mar 10th 2015
I have mixed feelings about this...
Mar 09th 2015
This is what I never understand
Mar 09th 2015
      you can name your price with Henny and Cognac
Mar 09th 2015
There is no way to justify this, that's why they apologized.
Mar 10th 2015
theyre not returning the $ though lol
Mar 10th 2015
      I think the branding of the tax was stilly
Mar 10th 2015
           I bet they won't
Mar 10th 2015
they could have given it a different name
Mar 10th 2015

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 05:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the "niggas don't tip" gratuity"
In response to Reply # 0

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 05:40 PM

3. "/post"
In response to Reply # 1

<--- Big Baller World Order

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 05:44 PM

4. "pretty much. some spots make it 18%"
In response to Reply # 1

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 05:46 PM

6. "yep, it goes down at a few places in Atlanta, just on regular nights "
In response to Reply # 1

At that

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 05:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "hotel prices go up during major events?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thats weird

kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 05:44 PM

5. "they don't add a 15% gratuity and call it the ACC Tax. "
In response to Reply # 2

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 05:51 PM

8. "you are correct... but then again, ACC went back to Greensboro because t..."
In response to Reply # 5

in charlotte were pathetic. It flopped.

CIAA gets 200K

ACC gets 15K to 20K total and half of them dont even stay the night. They drive back to Winston, Raleigh, Chapel Hill the same night.

BabySoulRebel
Charter member
19232 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 08:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "it's called supply and demand but this is ridiculous"
In response to Reply # 2

here for dis.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "this was a service charge on food @ the hotel restaurant."
In response to Reply # 2

nice try though.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 05:48 PM

7. "I have mixed feelings about this... "
In response to Reply # 0

the "tax" should be announced before serving guest.

at the same time, these niggas will pay ANYTHING to get in these spots.

There was a club charging $100 to park in the lot.. TO PARK IN THE LOT and niggas were happy to pay it.

Its a little fucked up because no one goes to the games. They spend insane prices to go to these little clubs but they whine about a 15% gratuity.

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 06:14 PM

9. "This is what I never understand"
In response to Reply # 7

>They
>spend insane prices to go to these little clubs but they whine
>about a 15% gratuity.

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 07:19 PM

10. "you can name your price with Henny and Cognac"
In response to Reply # 9

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:01 AM

12. "There is no way to justify this, that's why they apologized. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Today is your day to have a better life -- it's your right."

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:07 AM

13. "theyre not returning the $ though lol"
In response to Reply # 12

honestly not to say it's better but they could have just instituted a mandatory gratuity and not specifically said it was for CIAA

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:18 AM

14. "I think the branding of the tax was stilly"
In response to Reply # 13

>honestly not to say it's better but they could have just
>instituted a mandatory gratuity and not specifically said it
>was for CIAA
>

And you know that they are not giving that money back. But I bet next year they will do all they can to accommodate the patrons to make them feel welcomed.

"Today is your day to have a better life -- it's your right."

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:22 AM

15. "I bet they won't"
In response to Reply # 14

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:34 AM

17. "they could have given it a different name"
In response to Reply # 0

or no name at all.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12746190 Previous topic | Next topic