Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12745255

Subject: "DEA agent: We were told not to enforce drug laws in rich white areas (sw..." Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 08:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"DEA agent: We were told not to enforce drug laws in rich white areas (sw..."

http://bennorton.com/dea-agent-we-were-told-not-to-enforce-drug-laws-in-rich-white-areas/

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DAE), the Department of Justice agency devoted to preventing drug use and sale within the US, tells its agents not to enforce drug laws in rich white areas, according to a former employee.

Matthew Fogg, a former US Marshal and special agent for the DAE who worked his way up the departmental chain, earning the nickname “Batman” for his enthusiastic work, told the story in an interview with Brave New Films.

We’re talking about Gotham city. … We were jumping on guys in the middle of the night, all of that, swooping down on folks all across the country, using these sort of attack tactics that we went out on, that you would use in Vietnam, or some kind of war-torn zone. All of the stuff that we were doing, just calling it the war on drugs.

And there wasn’t very many black guys in my position. So when I would go into the war room, where we were setting up all of our drug and gun and addiction task force determining what cities we were going to hit, I would notice that most of the time it always appeared to be urban areas.

That’s when I asked the question, well, don’t they sell drugs out in Potomac and Springfield, and places like that? Maybe you all think they don’t, but statistics show they use more drugs out in those areas than anywhere.

The special agent in charge, he says “You know, if we go out there and start messing with those folks, they know judges, they know lawyers, they know politicians. You start locking their kids up, somebody’s going to jerk our chain.” He said they’re going to call us on it, and before you know it, they’re going to shut us down, and there goes your overtime.

What I began to see is that the drug war is totally about race. If we were locking up everybody, white and black, for doing the same drugs, they would have done the same thing they did with prohibition. They would have outlawed it. They would have said, “Let’s stop this craziness. You’re not putting my son in jail. My daughter isn’t going to jail.” If it was an equal enforcement opportunity operation, we wouldn’t be sitting here anyway.

It’s all about fairness, man. And understanding “How would I want to be treated?” Whether I’m on the one end, or the other end. How would I be treated if everything was done equally?

youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ImeWd5gFTo&feature=youtu.be

-----------------------

I know, I know... it's a captain obvious moment but it's still crazy to hear a DEA agent tell it like it is...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
no.
Mar 09th 2015
A lazy headline doesn't make it a non-story
Mar 09th 2015
      this guy's story is a non-story.
Mar 09th 2015
           OK, Bye nigga...
Mar 09th 2015
                good luck storming the castle.
Mar 09th 2015
                     sit down and stfu
Mar 09th 2015
                          i'm sorry i'm not as blown away by this guy's retelling
Mar 09th 2015
                               what part of stfu did you not understand? LOL...
Mar 09th 2015
                                    it's my fault.
Mar 09th 2015
                                         I already said it was some captain obvious shit in the OP...
Mar 09th 2015
                                              you sure did.
Mar 09th 2015
                                                   please say it again, we didn't hear you the first 5 times.
Mar 09th 2015
                                                        3 more times:
Mar 09th 2015
                                                             Your client wants you to get off the phone and file a motion
Mar 09th 2015
                                                                  clients won't be here until later today.
Mar 09th 2015
                                                                       last word
Mar 09th 2015
First drug Czar said it was a war on black and latino people
Mar 09th 2015
Racial disparity in arrests says there's some truth to this, in-effect
Mar 09th 2015
there sure is.
Mar 09th 2015
Yeah, I hope the DEA dude wasn't thinking he was dropping jewels...
Mar 09th 2015
      word.
Mar 09th 2015
what was said was...
Mar 09th 2015
      I hear you, just saying that we knew this back in the 90s...
Mar 09th 2015
      ^^^ base. brad an nem stories in college had me heated.
Mar 09th 2015
      Realistically it starts with that statement, but then when confronted
Mar 09th 2015

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 09:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "no."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-09-15 09:06 AM by SoWhat

i mean, yeah. but no. not like this.

i believe the DEA and other agencies use(d) selective enforcement and targeted blacks unfairly. but i don't believe this guy was directed NOT TO enforce drug laws in areas where white ppl live. i believe he may have had informal conversations about race w/other agents and even his superiors. but i don't believe he was directed as the headline claims.

this a non-story.

fuck you.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 10:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "A lazy headline doesn't make it a non-story"
In response to Reply # 1

>i mean, yeah. but no. not like this.
>
>i believe the DEA and other agencies use(d) selective
>enforcement and targeted blacks unfairly. but i don't believe
>this guy was directed NOT TO enforce drug laws in areas where
>white ppl live. i believe he may have had informal
>conversations about race w/other agents and even his
>superiors. but i don't believe he was directed as the
>headline claims.
>
>this a non-story.

Let my love slide in and never slip out

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 10:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "this guy's story is a non-story."
In response to Reply # 2

he had a casual conversation w/a coworker.

the selective enforcement of drug laws to the detriment of blacks is a story. and it's been told many times and better than this here story.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 10:35 AM

5. "OK, Bye nigga... "
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Mar-09-15 10:40 AM by legsdiamond

"This guys story can't be true because I'm sowhat"

lol

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 10:39 AM

6. "good luck storming the castle."
In response to Reply # 5

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 10:42 AM

7. "sit down and stfu"
In response to Reply # 6

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 10:44 AM

8. "i'm sorry i'm not as blown away by this guy's retelling"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon Mar-09-15 10:45 AM by SoWhat

of a casual conversation w/a coworker that doesn't sound like any directive at all but was reflective of that coworker's reasonably-held suspicions about some of the reasons behind the DEA selective enforcement of drug laws as you.

i'll try to be less informed next time so i can be down there on your level.

my bad.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 10:49 AM

10. "what part of stfu did you not understand? LOL..."
In response to Reply # 8

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:05 AM

11. "it's my fault."
In response to Reply # 10

i've seen too much and i can't help but lord it over ppl who have been less exposed and are less informed.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:16 AM

15. "I already said it was some captain obvious shit in the OP..."
In response to Reply # 11

but keep on keeping on...

I know it's hard to turn it off.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:19 AM

16. "you sure did."
In response to Reply # 15

and i disagree that it's 'crazy' to hear a DEA agent say what this guy said.

there's no 'there' there.

it's a non-story.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:19 AM

17. "please say it again, we didn't hear you the first 5 times. "
In response to Reply # 16
Mon Mar-09-15 11:21 AM by legsdiamond

oh, and thanks for continuing to up the post!!!

go on and get the last word dude...

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:21 AM

18. "3 more times:"
In response to Reply # 17
Mon Mar-09-15 11:21 AM by SoWhat

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nonstory

nonstory
English
Etymology

non- +‎ story
Noun

nonstory (plural nonstories)

(journalism) Something that is considered to be not a real story, or not newsworthy

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/nonstory

nonstory (ˈnɒnˈstɔːrɪ)
Definitions
noun
(plural) -ries

a story of little interest, substance, or importance ⇒ "The real puzzle was why such a non-story ever got broadcast.", "This sensationalised non-story merely reiterated what everyone knew."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=non-story

non-story
a story with no exciting, interesting, or meaningful details that would be better off left untold.
This is a complete non-story, but I met some chick at a party last night.. and nothing happened.
by Nathan Philip Antonio December 07, 2008

8 Words related to non-story

story
blunt
boring
end of story
non
nostory
no story
pointless

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:22 AM

19. "Your client wants you to get off the phone and file a motion"
In response to Reply # 18

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:23 AM

20. "clients won't be here until later today."
In response to Reply # 19

i have interviews scheduled.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:24 AM

21. "last word"
In response to Reply # 20

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 10:29 AM

4. "First drug Czar said it was a war on black and latino people "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-09-15 10:30 AM by Atillah Moor

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the U.S., and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

Harry J. Anslinger

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 10:45 AM

9. "Racial disparity in arrests says there's some truth to this, in-effect"
In response to Reply # 0

Whether or not some dude literally said "Don't arrest white people" or not, the reported numbers indicate that drugs AREN'T enforced with much gusto in affluent white communities.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/06/04/the-blackwhite-marijuana-arrest-gap-in-nine-charts/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/racial-disparity-drug-use_n_3941346.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/04/us/marijuana-arrests-four-times-as-likely-for-blacks.html

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:06 AM

12. "there sure is."
In response to Reply # 9

fuck you.

8-bit
10841 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:12 AM

13. "Yeah, I hope the DEA dude wasn't thinking he was dropping jewels..."
In response to Reply # 12

...because this is old news, at least to anyone that pays attention.

---

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 11:15 AM

14. "word."
In response to Reply # 13

fuck you.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 12:27 PM

22. "what was said was..."
In response to Reply # 9

"You know, if we go out there and start messing with those folks, they know judges, they know lawyers, they know politicians. You start locking their kids up, somebody’s going to jerk our chain.”

Now... That ain't saying "don't arrest white folks" 'cause there's always some black, latinos, and whatnot in affluent areas. They're staying stay away from affluent areas 'cause it makes sense: They DO know judges, politicians, and whatnot. Kinda hard to do anything when someone in the family plays golf with judges and DA's and rubs elbows with the senator.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

8-bit
10841 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 12:35 PM

23. "I hear you, just saying that we knew this back in the 90s..."
In response to Reply # 22
Mon Mar-09-15 12:38 PM by 8-bit

Growing up in the city (one of the poorer big US cities) and going to college in an affluent small town/suburb the differences were clear. It wasn't a question why little Brad didn't get arrested... his mommy and daddy would raise hell. Meanwhile, we would get fucked with for seemingly nothing because most-likely our parents weren't hiring lawyers, calling up their connected friends and drumming-up press coverage.

Plus, Brad would tell his stories of getting pulled-over while smoking weed with alcohol in the car (while underage) and getting off with a stern warning, and meanwhile we knew that if we got caught with a roach we'd be fingerprinted (didn't have to worry about getting pulled over, because I didn't have a car in college).

---

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 12:52 PM

25. "^^^ base. brad an nem stories in college had me heated. "
In response to Reply # 23

same muhfuckas tryna tell me (literally) that i was in college on affirmative action (oh, we had that discussion, my SATs and activities and all that shit sonned theirs) were same ones, on other nights, laughing about getting drunk and sinking their neighbor's $40,000 boat and not getting anything but a warning. fuck brad an nem.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 12:41 PM

24. "Realistically it starts with that statement, but then when confronted "
In response to Reply # 22
Mon Mar-09-15 12:41 PM by micMajestic

>"You know, if we go out there and start messing with those
>folks, they know judges, they know lawyers, they know
>politicians. You start locking their kids up, somebody’s
>going to jerk our chain.”
>
>Now... That ain't saying "don't arrest white folks" 'cause
>there's always some black, latinos, and whatnot in affluent
>areas. They're staying stay away from affluent areas 'cause it
>makes sense: They DO know judges, politicians, and whatnot.
>Kinda hard to do anything when someone in the family plays
>golf with judges and DA's and rubs elbows with the senator.

with kids of different colors (during a bust or whatever) there's the assumption that the white kid is much more likely to know people in high places. The idea that you can encourage American cops to be classist, and not think it's also going to encourage them to be racist is absurd.

Let my love slide in and never slip out

Lobby General Discussion topic #12745255 Previous topic | Next topic