Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12744061

Subject: "Anybody here live in Portland?" Previous topic | Next topic
FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anybody here live in Portland?"

Cost of living?
Family life?
Employment potential?
Weather trends?
school me.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
About 37k black people live there
Mar 06th 2015
on a 1-10 scale...that's maybe a 4 or 5 on my list honestly...
Mar 06th 2015
      really? I thought it wasn't that important until it was....
Mar 06th 2015
i dont but i was there last month
Mar 06th 2015
lol...man...anything is low compared to NYC...how about to DMV?
Mar 06th 2015
nah they dont really get snow
Mar 06th 2015
this is good info. appreciate it!
Mar 06th 2015
      ok. granted im no expert
Mar 06th 2015
i live in Seattle, but the winter is basically identical.
Mar 06th 2015
RE: i dont but i was there last month
Mar 06th 2015
RE: Anybody here live in Portland?
Mar 06th 2015

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "About 37k black people live there"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-06-15 12:33 PM by 8-bit

As a Philly native, the culture shock would just be too much for me at this point, unless I had a BANGING job & crib out there.

Plus, someone just posted an article about Oregon's racist-ass beginnings.

Wasn't this one, but close:
http://www.oregonmag.net/OregonRacismTrib.html

Not trying to discourage you, but I don't even like the relative lack of culture that New Jersey has compared to the big cities around here. Portland's probably a nice place to visit, tho.

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "on a 1-10 scale...that's maybe a 4 or 5 on my list honestly..."
In response to Reply # 1

a factor indeed...but not a major one.
And it'd only be a 5 when it came down to the diversity pool of peers for my daughter...

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 01:51 PM

8. "really? I thought it wasn't that important until it was...."
In response to Reply # 3

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:30 PM

2. "i dont but i was there last month"
In response to Reply # 0

and have friends out there

>Cost of living?
they say it's low (compared to NY which 2 of them were coming from before Portland). sub 1000 for rent seems norm. i can't speak on house prices but there's condos going up. tall ones even

>Family life?
can't speak on that

>Employment potential?
i was told this isn't so great. lots of kids moving to work for nike or ad firms but they don't pay well and the potential to advance isn't that high.

>Weather trends?
summers are glorious
winters are rainy and a lil gloomy but there was some sun when i was out there. temps in the high 30s-mid 50s

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:35 PM

4. "lol...man...anything is low compared to NYC...how about to DMV?"
In response to Reply # 2

the weather is a big thing for me....
I wonder if they have winters like we do on the east coast...or are they much milder? Snow often?

Jobs....I guess I should be specific....engineering/architecture/construction field....

teefiveten
33019 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:41 PM

5. "nah they dont really get snow "
In response to Reply # 4

i think it dips down to the 30s though. i went and it was 37 when i landed but got warm and everyone commented that it was surprisingly sunny this winter.

given the housing boom i would imagine there's opportunity there for you right now

like.me

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:47 PM

6. "this is good info. appreciate it! "
In response to Reply # 5

teefiveten
33019 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:49 PM

7. "ok. granted im no expert"
In response to Reply # 6

but that's my favorite thing to do when i visit a new city
talk to people about really living there -the good, bad, and ugly

honestly i would consider living there later on in life. it's pretty, not difficult to get around, great food/drink. its definitely not a POC paradise but i wouldn't mind trying to make that happen. lol

like.me

PROMO
Charter member
30976 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "i live in Seattle, but the winter is basically identical."
In response to Reply # 4

as I said in that "where DOESN'T the weather suck" post:

let's be real, the winter can be gloomy as fuck, but it's pretty gloomy most places outside of Florida and the Southwestern states. on the bright side, you don't get snow were you live, but if you WANT snow you can drive 25 minutes to the mountains and go skiing/sledding/boarding/etc.

however, spring is usually pretty good - somewhat damp but some nice days and mild temps, and unless you really NEED super hot temps, the summer is probably better than anywhere you can imagine. sunny, no humidity and temps betweeen 78 and 88 with a few hotter and cooler days here and there.

movement
Charter member
582 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 05:52 PM

10. "RE: i dont but i was there last month"
In response to Reply # 2

Oh yeah, how was your trip?

-----------------------------------------------------------

movement
Charter member
582 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 06:38 PM

11. "RE: Anybody here live in Portland?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-06-15 06:41 PM by movement

I grew up in Portland but moved a couple of years ago. I'll try to answer...

>Cost of living?

Really depends on where you're coming from. The cost of living in Portland has risen drastically over the last ten years, specifically house prices. Where a house price of 130-150K was normal ten years ago, today house prices north of 250-300K seem the norm. However, if you can live (and work) in Vancouver, a suburb of Portland those prices are much better and do not have state income tax (if you work in Washington). Rent has been kind of crazy too. My boys college apartment that was $450 in 2002 is now renting for over 1K a month.

>Family life?

Great. There is so much to do. So many parks, neighborhoods and attractions. This seems to be the reason drawing people there. It is a great place to live, especially with kids. There is a lot to do, and it is easy to live there.

>Employment potential?

Employment can really suck. The engineering/architecture/construction field is however decent. Berkshire hathaway just bought Benson, an architecture firm locate in PDX. CH2M Hill has an office there as well. Jeld wen. The anti sprawl laws limit the growth (but helps the family life feature), which is a downside to this field. Vancouver (again in Washington across the river) is beginning a redevelopment of their waterfront which will bring in a lot of work in these fields.

As teefiveten stated Nike/Adidas/marketing (especially graphic design work) is a big field in the city for professionals. But there is a lot of niche jobs. It still isn't really great. I read awhile back that Portland has the most graduate degrees working service jobs. People come thinking they'll find work and don't but stay because they love the city. I guess that says something...

>Weather trends?

PROMO is right. Winter sucks everywhere. Except Florida, but then you're in Florida. Portland and the Northwest in general is pretty mild. Yes it is grey, but it is not cold as fuck. I've lived in Dallas for three years now, and honestly these have been the worst winters I have ever experienced. 80 one day then 20 the next. Portland is mild through the whole winter, and yes wet in the spring. It's mostly a drizzle, not a ATL style down poor. I never owned an umbrella in the 30 years I lived in PDX. A jacket with a hood did the trick.

>school me.

I love my city. I miss it every day. It is not the most diverse place, but I have never seen some flat out drop your jaw shit while living there. Gentrification has really hit some of the older neighborhoods. I do hate the idea that in order to redevelop that people were push out to the rockwall area and suburbs. But I guess that is Gentrification anywhere. Oregon does have a hell of a racist past, but all of America does. I would like to believe that doesn't include Portland today, but I have been told by friends that they sometimes feel like the only black face in the room.

If I could move back tomorrow I wouldn't even hesitate. As soon as my wife's residency we are likely packing up and getting out of Texas at the first opportunity, not because Texas is awful, just that we miss Portland so much.

Any questions I will try to answer. Just holler.

>.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lobby General Discussion topic #12744061 Previous topic | Next topic