Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12743234

Subject: "$60,000 speeding tickt in Finland (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79518 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 01:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"$60,000 speeding tickt in Finland (swipe)"

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/finland-fined-this-driver--60-000-for-going-14mph-over-the-limit-225247649.html

Most of us have been there — you’re nonchalantly cruising about 10 mph over the speed limit, only to notice a police car flash the lights behind you. It’s downer that’ll cost maybe $350, and a couple hours of traffic school to knock the point off the record.

But a similar infraction cost one driver nearly $60,000 in Finland.

Reima Kuisla was on his way to the airport when he got caught going 103 km/h (64 mph) in an 80km/h (50 mph) zone, setting him back 54,024 euros. It’s a seemingly excessive penalty until you realize how Finland calculates its fines.

Kuisla posted a picture of the fine on his Facebook page

Kuisla posted a picture of the fine on his Facebook page
Unlike in the United States, where the flat fine is based on location and sped over the limit, Finland bases the penalty as a percentage of daily income, according to the previous year’s tax return. Since Reima Kuisla earned over 6.5 million euros ($7 million) in 2013, he had a penalty equivalent to a brand-new BMW M3. The rationale is that the fine should sting for anyone, whether they’re scraping by or living in the lap of luxury. Unsurprisingly, Kuisla isn’t a fan of progressive penalties:

"Ten years ago I wouldn't have believed that I would seriously consider moving abroad. Finland is impossible to live in for certain kinds of people who have high incomes and wealth," said Kuisla on his Facebook page.

He wasn’t the only one to pay a hefty sum in Finland — a Nokia executive had pay 116,000 euros (over $103,00) back in 2002 for speeding in a Harley. Say what you will about excessive fines, but that's a penalty no one forgets.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
F*ck rich people complaining about money.
Mar 05th 2015
And watch the country go into debt as the rich leave.
Mar 05th 2015
that's good stuff!
Mar 05th 2015
Fineland
Mar 05th 2015
Always thought it should be like that here
Mar 05th 2015
If finds are supposed to be a deterrent ...
Mar 05th 2015
fuck this touch screen! Fines dammit fines.
Mar 05th 2015
It seems pretty reasonable to be honest
Mar 05th 2015
Wow. The American justice system is insane to me.
Mar 05th 2015
60K though? that's insane.
Mar 05th 2015
      it's insane to you because $60K is a lot to you
Mar 05th 2015
      it sounds like its enough to make him considered leaving Finland
Mar 05th 2015
      I bet their tax code is a bitch, too
Mar 05th 2015
I hope that waste of space drives into a tree.
Mar 05th 2015
What did he do to make you say that?
Mar 05th 2015

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 01:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "F*ck rich people complaining about money."
In response to Reply # 0

Good on ya Finland! Charge those fat pigs.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 05:55 PM

13. "And watch the country go into debt as the rich leave."
In response to Reply # 1

>Good on ya Finland! Charge those fat pigs.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 01:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "that's good stuff!"
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

rdhull
Charter member
33126 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 01:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Fineland "
In response to Reply # 0

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 01:58 PM

4. "Always thought it should be like that here"
In response to Reply # 0

Fines that hurt me are pocket money for some

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 02:12 PM

5. "If finds are supposed to be a deterrent ..."
In response to Reply # 0

and you make 6 mil, a $350 fine doesn't deter shit.

If you make $24,000 before taxes a $350 ticket means you don't eat week.

DJTB YOMM

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 02:57 PM

11. "fuck this touch screen! Fines dammit fines."
In response to Reply # 5

DJTB YOMM

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 02:29 PM

6. "It seems pretty reasonable to be honest"
In response to Reply # 0

Once I was talking to a hockey player about this topic, he was not the highest-paid player in the league or anything but at the time he was making a little under $5M a year.

He was sort of complaining about his commute and how if you ride in the carpool lane as just one person you get roughly a $600 fine. But as the conversation went on, I found out his "complaint" was pretty superficial, he really didn't give a fuck about that and to top it off another dude told me he was the most annoying guy to ride with because he was texting the entire time. So the little $150 and $600 fines meant nothing to this guy, who earned a little less than the guy in question here.

Similarly I see in California that our higher-than-average fines often *cost* us money. I had to go to court for a cell phone ticket and of course sat through other trials. Multiple people couldn't pay their fines and took jail time, usually about two weeks of it, sometimes 30 days. WTF? That costs the state money rather than creating revenue. It's weird too because in other courts they try to avoid that, basically reduce the fine to what the defendant can reasonably come up with.

So while I don't know if Finland's system is perfect, I do get the rationale and see how a flat-fine type system fails.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 02:31 PM

7. "Wow. The American justice system is insane to me."
In response to Reply # 6

It's a corporate revolving door, it seems.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

legsdiamond
79518 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 02:36 PM

8. "60K though? that's insane. "
In response to Reply # 6

I would move if I were a rich guy in Finland.

I understand taxes but this is a speeding ticket and it's not like he was going 110mph

StephBMore
Member since Sep 11th 2014
1373 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 02:46 PM

9. "it's insane to you because $60K is a lot to you"
In response to Reply # 8

but if you're making $6.5 mil a year, that's less than 1% of your yearly income.

Which is about the same the average american would pay if they got caught speeding...($60,000 a year, $500 fine for speeding).

This is equality at it's finest. everyone is fined according to their income and then richer people or people who "got it" will realize what it's like to really be penalized for breaking the law because right now...if I'm making $6.5 million a year, getting a $500 ticket won't make me stop speeding.

Why should rich people get the more benefits (in regards to breaking the law)

legsdiamond
79518 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 07:21 PM

14. "it sounds like its enough to make him considered leaving Finland"
In response to Reply # 9

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 03:09 PM

12. "I bet their tax code is a bitch, too "
In response to Reply # 8

But overall they have high satisfaction with their government, progressive leadership (for example they were/are way ahead in terms of having women in power) and they got a sauna for every two households!

I dunno, as a rich guy you're always fighting living where you want versus living where you maximize your wealth and trying to strike a balance. I mean living in Finland or Sweden might mean high taxes and heavily redistributive policies. Living in a developing nation might mean you live like a lord but that you're also a prisoner of your own wealth (security, isolation, etc). You're looking for the right balance. Well boo fucking hoo. That's the kind of dilemma you like to have, basically total freedom, at least in a relative way.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 02:51 PM

10. "I hope that waste of space drives into a tree."
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe his money can be of use after he's gone or something.

legsdiamond
79518 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 07:23 PM

15. "What did he do to make you say that? "
In response to Reply # 10

Did he do something besides become a millionaire?

Lobby General Discussion topic #12743234 Previous topic | Next topic