Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12739191

Subject: "tell me about montreal" Previous topic | Next topic
teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 10:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"tell me about montreal"

i've wanted to go for years
i have family in the burbs but they must not know i am coming

friday the 13th there's a party i want to go to at the belmont. i feel like im running away from home to see The Wretched or something. lol. i kind of want to meet the promoters too and ultimately i want to DJ in that city by the end of the year

i won't have a car and i'm sure it will still be cold. i can understand french but cannot speak a lick of it.

i'd be there from Friday night-Sunday morning or so

how's getting around in this weather when you're a black girl who doesn't speak the language?

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Montreal is a bilingual city...everything is in French and English
Mar 02nd 2015
also how are you getting there? where are you staying?
Mar 02nd 2015
saving bucks sounds nice!
Mar 02nd 2015
      i feel you..i love hotels too...
Mar 02nd 2015
dont worry about the language thing, english is incredibly common
Mar 02nd 2015
i want to party!!!
Mar 02nd 2015
i think i post this every time
Mar 02nd 2015
poutine is meant to be eaten with smoked meat, gatdamnit!
Mar 02nd 2015
Yay!
Mar 02nd 2015
up. cause i bought my train ticket
Mar 05th 2015
It's all about the after hours spots.
Mar 05th 2015
how can you understand french, but not speak it?
Mar 05th 2015
i dunno im haitian
Mar 05th 2015
      do your pops sound like Wyclefs lawyer?
Mar 05th 2015
           lol the skits are funny
Mar 06th 2015
let us know how it is
Mar 06th 2015
there was a post a few weeks back. good stuff. brace yourself for
Mar 06th 2015
i had a blast
Mar 16th 2015
this is a GREAT recap! makes me want to sched. another trip up
Mar 16th 2015
highly hedonistic, also known as canada's nyc
Mar 16th 2015

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 10:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Montreal is a bilingual city...everything is in French and English"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-02-15 10:30 AM by Damali

So you don't have to speak or understand French to get around there or interact

The important thing to note about the Quebecois is they are very much proud of and into things that have to do with their own culture and not France...including their own music and movies...there is a very thriving film and music industry there that has naught to with U.S. tastes...not saying they don't like our stuff too..just that they do enjoy their own and a lot of French artists as well

i went to an 80s night party there and it was fun...a great mix of 80s pop tunes and some French ones that i didn't know, but the Quebecois in attendance went crazy over those songs just as much

a weird thing happened at the end of the night tho...so i happened to chat with the DJ (who looked bored as hell) and he told me that he literally plays the same songs in the same order every week for this 80s party. lol I told him that i didn't think anyone ever did that in NYC....suffice it to say i have no interest in going back there if that's the case

um..what else did you want to know?

d

Damali
35865 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 10:33 AM

2. "also how are you getting there? where are you staying?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-02-15 10:35 AM by Damali

if you're staying in a hotel, i have friends there that you could stay with instead, if you like. Gaelle is former club kid who is married to Hans (a DJ) and they have an awesome baby boy..they are all actually coming to stay with us for the weekend on Friday, if you'd want to meet them beforehand

anyway, let me know if you need to save a few bucks

d

teefiveten
33019 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 12:05 PM

3. "saving bucks sounds nice!"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Mar-02-15 12:06 PM by teefiveten

i'm pulling the trigger on this by wednesday
i want to stay downtown or as close to it as possible because im only really there for one full day (and 2 nights)

hotels aren't looking too shabby though price wise. i may just suck it up and do one out of convenience and as a way to really chill (i seriously love hotels lol) but i'm still down to meet folks

like.me

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Damali
35865 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 02:06 PM

4. "i feel you..i love hotels too..."
In response to Reply # 3

i'll inbox you in few minutes

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 03:11 PM

5. "dont worry about the language thing, english is incredibly common"
In response to Reply # 0

really fun city, not sure what you are looking to do and i imagine it's cold as fuck right now.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 03:16 PM

6. "i want to party!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

i want to eat some good food and drinks and try and do some shopping (thrifty and record shopping)

the party i want to hit up on friday is louis p and planet giza and im feeling them hard right now. the promoters seem cool so i figure i should probably go to them instead of waiting for them to come down here or even book them myself if i'm so inclined. i used to promote back in the day *shakes cane* but ultimately i want to be invited back in the summer to spin a party

like.me

blackrussian
Member since Oct 17th 2010
6498 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 05:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "i think i post this every time"
In response to Reply # 0

but seriously, clam chowder poutine at this place:

http://oystershackonbishop.com/

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 06:30 PM

9. "poutine is meant to be eaten with smoked meat, gatdamnit!"
In response to Reply # 7

it's funny because i love seafood (eat it every day) and eat meat 1-2 times a week. but something about seafood poutine just upsets me, second time it's been brought up on OKP. the first time was years ago and i still remember it.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 06:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Yay! "
In response to Reply # 0

Montreal got amazing restaurants. 2 of the best places I have ever ate was in Montreal. Au Pied Cochon and Garde Manger. Gonna need to submit blood for a reservation (meaning call and reserve weeks in advance)

Its cold as fuck bruh

Bring me back some cohibas :-D

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

teefiveten
33019 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 04:46 PM

10. "up. cause i bought my train ticket"
In response to Reply # 0

i still need shopping and bar recommendations

like.me

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49431 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 04:50 PM

11. "It's all about the after hours spots. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 05:08 PM

12. "how can you understand french, but not speak it?"
In response to Reply # 0

unless it was some type of exaggeration, i dont see how thats possible, and im genuinely curious

i understand as much as i speak, which isnt much

teefiveten
33019 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 05:13 PM

13. "i dunno im haitian"
In response to Reply # 12

my parents never made us speak kreyol but that's primarily what they speak in the house

and it's close enough to french that i can follow/understand for the most part

my mom is also fluent in french but i took spanish

i took a brief french immersion class and i was able to follow everything the instructor said and do the work but it was a very basic class and i haven't picked it back up since

got around paris pretty easily too :/ i also have this weird thing where i can figure out what folks are saying even if i don't know the language. you can just tell by the tone and gesturing.

like.me

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 07:53 PM

14. "do your pops sound like Wyclefs lawyer?"
In response to Reply # 13

first, thank you for the serious answer, i didnt consider you being haitian, it makes far more sense to me

second, for the lulz, how do wyclefs skits make you feel? prideful, or do you hate him for poking fun at his own people/culture?

i like clefs sense of humor, but i am digesting it from a different point of view than you

teefiveten
33019 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 10:05 AM

16. "lol the skits are funny"
In response to Reply # 14

my dad doesn't sound like clef though
but honestly any attempt to do imiations of haitians, if done accurately, are hilarious

eric andre plays the lucas bros haitian roommate on their cartoon show and that shit is funny as hell

like.me

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 08:01 AM

15. "let us know how it is"
In response to Reply # 0

>how's getting around in this weather when you're a black girl
>who doesn't speak the language?

never been to canada.
i should, soon. wouldnt mind going for the jazz fest

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 10:56 AM

17. "there was a post a few weeks back. good stuff. brace yourself for"
In response to Reply # 0

that trainride though....
they drop down to like 50mph once you hit the Adorondikes and it's sloooooooooooow going for the rest of the trip.
Boarder check took 2-hours last time we went....they literally get on the train and go passenger to passenger checking your passport. That was the WORST....
it's a walkable city, good public transportation, and one of the best bicycle networks in the north american continent....It makes Citibike look like a joke...

teefiveten
33019 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 09:07 AM

18. "i had a blast"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-16-15 09:08 AM by teefiveten

i took the train because it was 90 bucks and i didn't want to spend $300+ on a plane--I could go to Cali for that amount! so i did the train

the train there had crazy leg room and i was chilling. i slept a good amount because i was burned out for the week. i bought the new Paul Beatty book and tucked into that for a spell too

yeah they keep you at the border for a minute but i honestly didn't mind. i was stretched out and comfortable

i took a cab to my hotel in chinatown. it was a budget-type place but super clean and pretty accessible. right of st. lawrence blvd

the party i came up for was that night so i just took a nap and showered and went back out. i decided to walk even though it was slightly snowy. i just wanted to start getting a heads up on the city and the walk wasn't very long. i was hoping to bar hop my way to the party but there were more clubs and restos than bars. i found a bar with 50s and 60s soul music DJs and i had a whiskey and chilled. then i went to the party which was GREAT. i met some of the DJs and we have some friends in common so that was dope. heard some great music and they invited me to another party the next night.

i walked back to my hotel and got some $2 noodles on the way. i saw a long line and the words "$2 chow mein" so i got on that shit. so bomb.

the next morning i decided i listed all the spots i wanted to hit and noted their locations/closest metro and bus lines and went at it

went to jean talon market and ate and walked around.

went over to some cigar shops looking for some stuff then happened upon the shopping on st. catherine. it was raining but i damn near walked back to my hotel while window shopping.

i ate at Schwartz's (think: Katz's) and while it was good, it was a bad decision because i went to au pied de cochon later on that night and couldn't finish anything i ordered. lol. THAT meal was crazy. just a ton of animal parts (organs, sausages, salamis)i ate in a really great warm salad, a fois gras appetizer, then a poutine i truly did not know would come w/ fois gras on top. i left feeling so full. lol. it was also snowing hard by then so i went to another party and kicked it there and tried to dance off my meal

it was a quick trip but i'll totally go back in the summer. getting around on the bus/metro was easy and cabs aren't crazy expensive. i got some musical inspiration and met some good folks and ate well.

i didn't really have any record store recommendations until it was too late so when i return i plan to spend most of my shopping time digging.

like.me

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 09:33 AM

20. "this is a GREAT recap! makes me want to sched. another trip up"
In response to Reply # 18

this summer....

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 09:09 AM

19. "highly hedonistic, also known as canada's nyc"
In response to Reply # 0

the french like to drink, party, and have sex. enjoy yourself.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12739191 Previous topic | Next topic