Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12738150

Subject: "The "racist shit white people say on other message boards" post" Previous topic | Next topic
John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 07:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The "racist shit white people say on other message boards" post"

From city-data:

"Colfax K-8 is very well regarded though. You can see on PPS's website that out of the white student body, over 90% scores proficient or advanced in reading, and math, over 85% on writing, and over 80% on science. The only reason its scores lag the suburbs its it's 30% black"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Thats not racist, if it's true
Feb 27th 2015
^ the racist shit that black people who drag down test scores believe
Feb 27th 2015
i dont really fuck with other boards
Feb 27th 2015
*jews you*
Feb 27th 2015
AKA 98 percent of incendiary message board posts during Black History Mo...
Feb 27th 2015
As a whole, the internet/online gaming has............
Feb 27th 2015
anonymity is a bitch
Feb 27th 2015
^^
Feb 28th 2015
city data is filled with them...
Feb 28th 2015
It's only racist because non-Blacks are the ones pointing out
Feb 28th 2015
fault v. responsibility. again.
Feb 28th 2015
It's racist because race is the only factor they're considering
Feb 28th 2015
      For the handful of you familiar with Pittsburgh
Feb 28th 2015
      Right. I don't understand how people can be this fucking dumb.
Feb 28th 2015
           Wrong. I don't understand how people can be this fucking dumb.
Feb 28th 2015
                not everyone has the means to get up and leave
Feb 28th 2015
                2 things
Feb 28th 2015
                     Because history has proven you right?
Mar 01st 2015
                Let's clear a few things up.
Feb 28th 2015
love my city...
Feb 28th 2015
'Kid Rock is right'
Feb 28th 2015
Raises the question though, is OKP racist too?
Feb 28th 2015
lmao
Feb 28th 2015
impossible
Mar 01st 2015
Oh...this post is going to be GOOD and stupid
Mar 01st 2015
it's funny when they slip up & say it in real life....and you catch em.....
Mar 01st 2015
This goes on a lot in Urban Planning/Real Estate
Mar 01st 2015

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 07:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Thats not racist, if it's true "
In response to Reply # 0

It is politically incorrect.

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 07:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "^ the racist shit that black people who drag down test scores believe"
In response to Reply # 1

if its true(which statistically, it aint), the nonracist statement is-

"... it lags because the 30% black pop is behind."

not "bc the pop is 30% black"

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35259 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 07:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i dont really fuck with other boards"
In response to Reply # 0

I imagine there is some wild shit out there tho

My only others are MGoBlog (Michigan sports) and Resident Advisor (techno/house music). Shit doesnt get too deep in either of those lol.

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 07:32 PM

3. "*jews you*"
In response to Reply # 0

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28846 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 08:05 PM

5. "AKA 98 percent of incendiary message board posts during Black History Mo..."
In response to Reply # 0

While we're at it there's some utter shit modding going on your favorite message board that is not OKP.

Motherfuckers LOSE THEIR DAMN MINDS during black history month and post all types of foul shit. Dudes broke their necks over the past few months saying racist shit because freedom of speech.

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 10:21 PM

6. "As a whole, the internet/online gaming has............"
In response to Reply # 0

As a whole, the internet/online gaming has given otherwise
flaccid ofayes a set of balls they've NEVER had before.

All you can really do is feel sorry for dem Katz.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

JayEmm
Member since Feb 06th 2004
3299 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 10:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "anonymity is a bitch"
In response to Reply # 0

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 08:30 AM

10. "^^"
In response to Reply # 7

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 07:28 AM

8. "city data is filled with them..."
In response to Reply # 0

and "it's not racist If it's true" is the typical response.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 07:54 AM

9. "It's only racist because non-Blacks are the ones pointing out"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Feb-28-15 07:55 AM by Shaun Tha Don

a glaring reality about Blacks that Blacks go to great lengths to deny despite it staring them in the face.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 08:36 AM

11. "fault v. responsibility. again."
In response to Reply # 9

bitch.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

John Forte
15361 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 09:48 AM

12. "It's racist because race is the only factor they're considering "
In response to Reply # 9
Sat Feb-28-15 09:52 AM by John Forte

The school in question draws from the city's two most affluent and educated white neighborhoods and one of its poorest black neighborhoods. That's textbook racism; the belief that race and race alone is the differentiating factor.

John Forte
15361 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 09:53 AM

13. "For the handful of you familiar with Pittsburgh "
In response to Reply # 12

It pulls from Shadyside, Squirrel Hill and Homewood.

Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 10:07 AM

14. "Right. I don't understand how people can be this fucking dumb."
In response to Reply # 12
Sat Feb-28-15 10:10 AM by Lardlad95

Race is the fucking end all be all for some people.

We could be talking about schools in neighborhoods that haven't seen economic growth in 3 generations, but the onus isn't on the larger economy that allows such places to exist in a country of such affluence, no the problem is their race. BLACKS are just inclined towards such behavior and laziness, and that's why those schools are bad. Not all of the more proximate factors like region, population, local industry, etc.

Except Nigerians, who are black, are the most educated immigrant group, and other sub-groups of black-Americans people are often heralded as being industrious (Africans immigrants and West Indians).

Okay so it isn't race really. They really mean it's black American culture....

Except that we've have real life examples of successful African-American/Black communities and cities. Of course there are also unsuccessful ones.

But the same is true of white communities. The only actual difference is that unsuccessful white communities are dispersed in rural areas, where as successful and unsuccessful Black communities often exist within close proximity to one another(Black Picket Fences. I gotta remember what I did with that book). Think about the DMV area. There are some super poor black people there...and some super fucking wealthy, old money ones.

But no, the problem has to be with black people and their inherent blackness.

I swear this country is so fucked in the head it's almost not even worth trying to save it.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6031 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 11:05 AM

15. "Wrong. I don't understand how people can be this fucking dumb."
In response to Reply # 14

its amazing that people with your mindset automatically assume that comments like these are saying that BLACKS are just inclined....

thats not what those comments mean.

are BLACKS more inclined?

no

however, once blacks have identified the roots of their situation
instead of doing everything they can to remove themselves from the environment

they sit there
and stew in it
offering nothing but reasons why they cant

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 12:25 PM

17. "not everyone has the means to get up and leave"
In response to Reply # 15

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6031 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 01:06 PM

20. "2 things"
In response to Reply # 17

first, bullshit.
if its a matter of life and death you will find a way

the environments many of us are born in is killing us
its a slow death but killing us all the same

second, i wasnt talking only in the physical sense
if you think you cant escape your environment
you can escape the poisonous mindset around you

YOU CAN make sure your kids are educated in fields you struggled in

YOU CAN be proactive in not repeating the curse of the ancestors of our families whatever they may be

or?
you can sit there
stew in it
throw you hands up
and say I CANT

fuck that

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 09:51 AM

23. "Because history has proven you right?"
In response to Reply # 20

Right.

Sit your ignorant ass down
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 01:03 PM

19. "Let's clear a few things up. "
In response to Reply # 15
Sat Feb-28-15 01:29 PM by Lardlad95

If that's your interpretation of the entire subject, okay, that's fine. I'm happy to hear more, but you don't seem to get the two threads of argumentation that are going on here, and to whom I was directing my statements.

What I was responding to was 1) The statement in the OP which only offered race as the factor for the lagging scores without any context and 2) The contention by Shaun the Don that we're only calling them racist because they're pointing out a harsh truth.

To sum up how I responded to both of these statements:

I agree there is a problem, and no I don't think it's racist for white people, asian people, black people, etc. to point that out. I do however think it's racist if any one of those people think that race is the primary cause of socio-economic problems above and beyond actual social and economic factors and constraints. The city-data comment was racist, because it deliberately put forward data without context or analysis in favor of race. As John pointed out, the class disparities of the three feeder populations is huge. Why focus on the race of the kids instead of the fact that one group is significantly poorer than the other two? Class includes a number of factors that can contribute, race meanwhile leads pretty much to one implication, and if that's how you see things cool, but having met intelligent and imbecilic people of every race, I tend to think that class is a larger issue.

Shaun was wrong, because he thinks that my objections are based in the race of the messenger and an unwillingness to look at hard truths, instead of what I just said, that the content isn't racist, the framing of the data and the debate are.

My response was indirect because I was agreeing with John Forte's response to Shaun in which he was clarifying his opinions about the original statement, and then I went on to expound upon why I thought the city-data comment was racist. I was both agreeing with John about why Shaun was wrong in his interpretation of our opinions, and elaborating on why the statement in the OP was racist.

You responded to me by saying:

>its amazing that people with your mindset automatically assume that comments like these are saying that BLACKS are just inclined....

thats not what those comments mean.

are BLACKS more inclined?

no

however, once blacks have identified the roots of their situation
instead of doing everything they can to remove themselves from the environment

they sit there
and stew in it
offering nothing but reasons why they cant<

So like I said, if you look at the original objection that John Forte made to Shaun and then that I agreed with and went on to discuss at length, neither one of us was arguing about black responses to these numbers positive or negative. That was never the point. That these numbers exist and could be recited by anyone of any background was not why we said that the statement in the OP was racist and I'll restate why we think it is by examining the actual statement in a second.

We disagreed with how Shaun was framing our opinions. It was never, as he suggested, that a white person said it, it was that the deliberate lack of context is a means through which to convey a skewed message. The race of the speaker isn't the source of the bias, the lack of context or the exclusion of other factors in favor a race based explanation is what's racist.

So, if you thought that I was suggesting that Shaun's statement was the implying that "blacks are inclined...", that isn't the case. There seems to be a misunderstanding of who and what is being responded to. I think the statement in the OP was racist, where as I thought Shaun's opinion on why we were calling that statement racist was unfounded.

My assertions regarding the OP were based on the fact that the original statement genuinely does not offer any context or explanation other than race for the numbers:

>"Colfax K-8 is very well regarded though. You can see on PPS's website that out of the white student body, over 90% scores proficient or advanced in reading, and math, over 85% on writing, and over 80% on science. The only reason its scores lag the suburbs its it's 30% black"<

Seriously, point to me where they implied anything about the actual problem being black people denying the numbers, or black people not trying to change, or stewing in their anger. If you're saying that I'm interpreting this statement incorrectly, you're really going to have to lay it out, because I don't see anything here about us identifying a problem and then sitting on our ass.

All I see is the word black, a racial category. Thus MY interpretation of the statement was that it was racist, because it's attributing something complex to a single factor, that while not arbitrary, certainly shouldn't be the first explanation for why a school is under-performing. The statement says the "only reason" it lags behind is because it has a sizable black population. It didn't say anything about the economic backgrounds of those kids.

Saying that the sole cause of an school's problems are its black students is racist. That's not a denial that there's a problem, it's the assertion that boiling down a complex problem to race in such a fashion is racist. Now we still have to fix the problem, and black people have to boot-strap Horatio Alger it, but that doesn't mean that someone making racist implications should be absolved of their intent. Regardless of what we do, if you make a statement attributing something to "blackness" when there are a lot of other reasonable ways to interpret it, you're treading in dangerous waters.

If you don't know anything at all about American Arms trafficking you could easily say that Northern Mexico has a culture of violence and homicide, I mean just look at the numbers. However if you were to learn that an adjacent culture is the largest arms dealer in the world and is Mexico's largest market for drugs, well it puts it in a different context. That doesn't mean Mexico doesn't have to clean up the problem, but if I were to say that the current violence in Mexico is just a by product of Mexican culture and identity without also pointing out another very large contributing factor I'd speaking disingenuously.

That's why the city-data comment and ones like it are racist. You've got a big complex problem that would require everyone to reevaluate how our society runs in order to fix...or you can just dismiss the problem by saying, "...well it's 30% black so you know..." Because now it because the fault of people who are marginalized by society instead of society itself.

*Note*: Yes I believe in personal responsibility, I just don't think that responsibility vs. social welfare is a true binary. I think it's constructed as a way to perpetuate an unbalanced society.

Now, my response to Shaun was based on his claim that we only say that it's racist because non-whites are talking about a problem that we like to deny.

>It's only racist because non-Blacks are the ones pointing out a glaring reality about Blacks that Blacks go to great lengths to deny despite it staring them in the face.<

Now we could be discussing the veracity of the idea that black people are denying that, taken in total, our school children are not faring well. I've worked in education, and I don't think most people are denying anything...but hey, maybe in total we are denying it...but that's okay, BECAUSE....

Whether or not we deny a goddamn thing was never part of my argument!

John Forte responded to Shaun saying: "It's racist because race is the only factor they're considering"

Which I agreed with. So the point isn't that we aren't willing to look at hard truths, or that white people can't point out when black kids are lagging behind in school, it's that they think race is the factor that trumps everything else.

That's why I said, "Race is the fucking end all be all for some people." My entire argument hinged not on these numbers being untrue or white people being allowed to point out statistics, it's that it's stupid to boil down a complex social problem to something as simple as race, and I think it's wrong for Shaun to suggest that we're being dishonest about our real reasons for taking umbrage with what was said. Mostly because it's presented as if we're suggesting an alternative to community action or something. It is entirely possible to both recognize when someone is manipulating an issue and still recognize that the issue exists. It's such a cop out to paint a genuine objection about how we conflate class and race by suggesting that it's an excuse not to act on a issue.

Now you haven't given me reason to believe the OP should be interpreted in a way that doesn't present race front and center, and since I never suggested that us being in denial or wallowing was the actual problem with what Shaun said, I'm going to just let you explain why you think OP statement wasn't racist if indeed you didn't.

So, you can talk about action and what we need to do and what we don't do, all you want, I'd be happy to discuss that with you. You're free to interpret those statements however you want, what you can't do however is pretend that I made an argument or opened up a discussion that I didn't.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 11:07 AM

16. "love my city..."
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 12:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "'Kid Rock is right'"
In response to Reply # 0

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 04:29 PM

21. "Raises the question though, is OKP racist too?"
In response to Reply # 0

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35259 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 05:54 PM

22. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 21

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 01:18 PM

25. "impossible"
In response to Reply # 21

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 12:48 PM

24. "Oh...this post is going to be GOOD and stupid"
In response to Reply # 0

**sets up chair**

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 02:35 PM

26. "it's funny when they slip up & say it in real life....and you catch em....."
In response to Reply # 0

kinda like when you slip and let your OKP persona slip out in real life....

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 03:13 PM

27. "This goes on a lot in Urban Planning/Real Estate "
In response to Reply # 0

They have the data to back it up so they will say it freely and it won't be considered remotely racist.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12738150 Previous topic | Next topic