Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12737027

Subject: "little kids and funerals." Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 05:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"little kids and funerals."

How do you do it? Is there a too young? Any resource online to explain what's going on to them? Would it be a mistake to let a 4 year old see their grandma in a casket?

Just want to hear thoughts.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Ive been going to funerals since I was 4
Feb 26th 2015
My grandmom passed last year...my kids didn't go cause we felt they
Feb 26th 2015
Family used to make me take pix next to caskets.
Feb 26th 2015
weird
Feb 27th 2015
4 might be too young for them to understand.
Feb 26th 2015
it's tough.
Feb 26th 2015
it helps if the child is well-behaved.
Feb 26th 2015
my 3 year old nephew was at my grandpa's funeral earlier this year
Feb 26th 2015
adults have a harder time understanding death than kids.
Feb 26th 2015
Depends on the kid
Feb 26th 2015
Maaaaan I just laughed hard out loud at "open it!"
Feb 28th 2015
I prefer to let 'em know early.
Feb 26th 2015
just came from a wake, and I took my son (5 years old)
Feb 27th 2015
I've got one sensitive kid. I know he will "feel" the sadness of everyo...
Feb 27th 2015
      RE: I've got one sensitive kid. I know he will "feel" the sadness of ev...
Feb 27th 2015
Weirdly, I low-key wish I'd been around death younger.
Feb 27th 2015
My grandmother passed away last year. My son was 6. Didn't let him go.
Feb 27th 2015
i remember being at my grandfather's funeral and not really understandin...
Feb 27th 2015
i think that it depends on the kid
Feb 27th 2015
kids need a healthy acceptance of the fact that death is a part of life
Feb 27th 2015
death is part of life. take them & show them their own inevitable end
Feb 28th 2015
First funeral I went to was actually James Cleveland's
Feb 28th 2015
^^^^did this LA nigga just name-drop a funeral??
Feb 28th 2015
      Aha. I knew someone would say that
Mar 01st 2015
      every time! lol
Mar 01st 2015

Regina Rose
Member since Jul 01st 2008
7349 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 05:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Ive been going to funerals since I was 4"
In response to Reply # 0

The earliest one I remember I was 7 when my grandad died my cousins (who were 6) tried to wake him up which then made everyone more sad

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 06:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "My grandmom passed last year...my kids didn't go cause we felt they"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-26-15 06:04 PM by afrogirl_lost

were too young. They stayed at home with my in laws and came to the repast to eat and hang out with their cousins.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 06:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Family used to make me take pix next to caskets."
In response to Reply # 0

I survived.

fuck you.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 08:35 AM

12. "weird"
In response to Reply # 3

kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 07:09 PM

4. "4 might be too young for them to understand. "
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

SHAstayhighalways
Member since Sep 03rd 2014
3696 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 07:19 PM

5. "it's tough."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-26-15 07:19 PM by SHAstayhighalways

my lil cousin-niece (my cousin's daughter) was about 4 when my grandmother died
she did not go to the wake (which was open casket)
she went to the funeral and she didn't get it at first.
at a certain point i guess from everyone gathering she felt someone was missing.
"where's mamita?"
she asked.
when my cousin told her she went to heaven
the way she cried really messed me up

www.royallegacy.org

For Real (Official Video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRoCPO8esE

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 07:22 PM

6. "it helps if the child is well-behaved."
In response to Reply # 0

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 07:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "my 3 year old nephew was at my grandpa's funeral earlier this year"
In response to Reply # 0

he didn't really know what was up. when my grandpa was on his deathbed we did keep the kid away but for the wake and service he was there.

--sig--
n/a

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 08:28 PM

8. "adults have a harder time understanding death than kids. "
In response to Reply # 0

I was devastated when my aunt died,
but it wasn't like I didn't understand it.

I don't even remember having any questions about it.
My mom told me she was dead and asked me if I wanted
to go to the funeral.

it was weird seeing her in the casket I guess.
but I wasn't confused.

I think I was in the fourth grade.

Sepia.
Member since Feb 25th 2009
12896 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 08:41 PM

9. "Depends on the kid"
In response to Reply # 0

One of my little cousins was at the church when they wheeled in the casket
before the funeral and he was excitedly shouting "Open it! Open it!"

Some kids are well-behaved/mature enough to sit there quietly, and
others should probably be left with a baby sitter.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 09:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Maaaaan I just laughed hard out loud at "open it!""
In response to Reply # 9

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:50 PM

10. "I prefer to let 'em know early."
In response to Reply # 0

That way it isn't a shock to them later. I mean that in the sense of the knowledge of death in itself won't be a shock; not some sudden untimely death of a loved one.

Since 1976

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 01:46 AM

11. "just came from a wake, and I took my son (5 years old)"
In response to Reply # 0

one of my best friends mom passed away. Normally I would leave my son behind for something like this. Mostly since its not family and he didnt know the person. But my wife wanted to come and pay respects and we had no one to sit. Ive been talking to him about what was going to happen at the funeral and what a funeral was all week long. He asked a couple of times if my friend was going to get a new mom now. Or when my friends mom was going to come back to life. I told him she wasn't. Then he asked oh so its like Michael Jackson. He can't make anymore songs because he is dead. I said yes and kind of giggled because I remember having that conversation with him a year or so ago when he asked if MJ was going to come out with more songs.Anyway at the wake I asked if he wanted to see the body he said no. I was cool with that because I dont like looking at them in the casket either. But he was very emotional during the whole thing. He sensed the sadness in the room and would tear up randomly. But it was funny that he didnt cry when he saw me crying he just comforted me. I was good through out the whole thing. At the end when I went to give my boy a hug and saw him in tears I lost it. Crying like a little boy with the shivering jaw and everything. Hurt me to see my boy in that much pain. Anyway he was fine. Now had it been his grandma or aunt or someone else he was close to. I think it wouldnt have been so easy. But I would have wanted him there.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 11:55 AM

14. "I've got one sensitive kid. I know he will "feel" the sadness of everyo..."
In response to Reply # 11

else. He will also carry it with him for a while.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 11:59 PM

19. "RE: I've got one sensitive kid. I know he will "feel" the sadness of ev..."
In response to Reply # 14

my son is very sensitive. Sometimes I think overly sensitive. But he has a good heart and I don't want to change that. Even though it does bother me at times. Once we left he didn't carry it at all. He was more relieved to be out of there. He got mad at me for making him go because he said he hates sad things. But he asked a lot of questions on the ride home and today after school. So all in all I think it was a good experience. Now if it was someone he was close with I think he would definitely still be feeling it. But then that's normal too.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 11:23 AM

13. "Weirdly, I low-key wish I'd been around death younger."
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't have anyone close to me (apart from the odd hamster) die until I was well into my 20s... both my grandfathers died before I was born and my grandmothers both lived into their 90s.

When I had to break into one of their houses to find her dead body, my brain just got running with the whole "Yeah, you're a logical adult type person now... death happens... she was old as hell... my Mum needs support and there's loads of admin to do..." - it honestly felt for about 3 weeks that nothing had happened. Then it AWWWLLLL hit me going to sleep one night.

I've always wondered if I'd lost an Aunt or at least *been* to a funeral at some point I might've been a bit better prepared to process shit.

Not that I feel at all damaged by it. I'm still one of the least sentimental people I know when it comes to death... but yeah... I still feel kind of disconnected from the concept..

))<>((
forever.

daryloneal
Member since Jan 08th 2005
9267 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 12:40 PM

15. "My grandmother passed away last year. My son was 6. Didn't let him go."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-27-15 12:41 PM by daryloneal

I don't see the good that could come from the visual at this point.

We explained it to him separately.

---
but have you ever checked out my website? www.dtaylorimages.com

earthseed
Member since Feb 26th 2004
26989 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 12:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "i remember being at my grandfather's funeral and not really understandin..."
In response to Reply # 0

why everyone was crying. i was about 5 or 6.

i also vividly remember being at the funeral of my mom's best friend and my sitting on her lap and crying into my back.

i think we were both shell shocked. i was about 7 then.

i understood more by that point.

i don't see the harm in taking a kid and explaining to them before and after that this is something that happens. don't think they should be shielded from something that happens to everyone at some point.

now go runtelldat, ho.

labcoat
Member since Jun 15th 2006
14585 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 12:49 PM

17. "i think that it depends on the kid"
In response to Reply # 0

i went to my great granddad's i was about 6
i didnt go to my great grandmom's i was about 9
and i resented my mom for that
even to this day

but i dont mind funerals

regarding my daughter
if she is close to the family member
ill probably let her go
see how she reacts
then figure out something for the next time

--------------
Daren, I'll never forget you
http://www.fayemurman.com/extras/magee/daren/

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35863 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 01:55 PM

18. "kids need a healthy acceptance of the fact that death is a part of life"
In response to Reply # 0

and the only way they can get that is if they are a part of these experiences from an early age

they shouldn't be shielded from it, in my opinion

now that doesn't mean they should be forced to view the body or anything...just saying, yeah they should be there if their family is going

will they understand what's going on? probably not. but that shouldn't matter...no one cares that a 1 year old has no understanding of their first birthday, but folks throw them a party most of the time anyway

d

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 09:27 AM

21. "death is part of life. take them & show them their own inevitable end"
In response to Reply # 0

one day kid...you, me & everyone you know will be worm food. you will live in the memory of your friends and loved ones forever, depending on the work you do during life. so do you best to be remembered for being a positive good person. the end

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 09:29 AM

22. "First funeral I went to was actually James Cleveland's"
In response to Reply # 0

I understood what death was, but it never appeared to be a sad thing to me because of how my dad had explained it to me as a 4-5 year old. So being at a straight up Black Churchy-Church crowd for someone as big as him was just wild to me. And it was at The Shrine, so it is still the biggest funeral I've ever attended.

My aunt tells me she had to tell me to be quiet because I said "why does she keep screaming? Will he come back to life if she keeps doing it?" about the lady across from us. I think it's the first time I realized how powerful music was too. There was an upbeat comedic speech that had folks laughing, which confused me....then someone sang a deeply emotional song, and eeeeeeeeverybody was crying just two min after laughing.

I didn't get sad at all though, and it seems like I'm still kind of the same way now...just kind of emotionally aloof for some reason. I can be in a room of sadness and not feel a thing...it's not a good thing either.

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 09:43 AM

23. "^^^^did this LA nigga just name-drop a funeral??"
In response to Reply # 22

Lol

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 06:07 AM

24. "Aha. I knew someone would say that "
In response to Reply # 23

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 07:21 AM

25. "every time! lol"
In response to Reply # 23

I love okp

Lobby General Discussion topic #12737027 Previous topic | Next topic