Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12736577

Subject: "So is weed legal in DC or what? (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
AbdulJaleel
Charter member
23892 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 10:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"So is weed legal in DC or what? (swipe)"

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/first-read-dmv/DC-Marijuana-Becomes-Legal-Thursday-Unless-Congres-Steps-In-293858841.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DCBrand

Marijuana Becomes Legal in D.C. Thursday at Midnight -- Unless Congress Steps In
D.C. police officers to carry card-sized summaries of the new rules
By Carissa DiMargo and Tom Sherwood
3:39 PM EST on Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015

A law to legalize marijuana in the District will go into effect at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, unless Congress steps in at the last minute.
As a result, D.C. police officers will begin carrying business card-sized summaries of the new rules, which were publicly explained Tuesday and will be part of a public education campaign.
Q&A: What's Legal, What's Not With Pot in D.C.?
The law -- which was approved by voters last fall -- will permit possession of small amounts of marijuana by those ages 21 or older, with consumption allowed only in private homes and space. The card includes the following points:
Those ages 21 or older can possess up to two ounces of marijuana, grow up to six cannabis plants at home (with no more than three mature), or give away up to one ounce of marijuana to someone else (who also must be at least 21 years old).
Those younger than 21 cannot possess any amount of marijuana. Any such marijuana can be seized by an officer.
You can be arrested if you smoke or consume marijuana in public, have more than 2 ounces, or sell any amount of marijuana.
Those who drive while impaired or under the influence of marijuana will be prosecuted.
Under federal law, federal law enforcement officers may arrest anyone in the District for possession of any amount of marijuana, specifically on any federal property.
The last point is an important one.
DC Mayor: Congress Too Late to Stop Pot Law
Because the District includes both D.C. land and federal land, it's important to note that the new law is only a local one. The new law doesn't apply to possession on federal parkland, such as the National Mall, Rock Creek Park and traffic circles patrolled by U.S. Park Police.
And even on non-federal land, it will remain illegal to smoke or consume pot while in a public space.
The card's back side lists health risks of using marijuana, noting, "You shouldn't use marijuana just because local laws have changed."
D.C. Council, Congress Head for Pot Showdown
The cards also note that if marijuana is seized because a person doesn't provide proof of age, that person can pick up his or her pot from the police station within three weeks if they provide ID.
An information sheet distributed by Mayor Muriel Bowser's office Tuesday morning is also spelling out exactly what would and wouldn't be legal. The new law legalizes possession and consumption of marijuana in a user's home, but does not legalize the sale of marijuana. No one would be permitted to smoke or consume pot anywhere in public.

There is still a great deal of confusion over how the District will deal with the new law.
"There are so many unanswered questions around it," said Council member Jack Evans on Monday. "If you're going to grow , how do you get the seeds, because that's illegal."
D.C. Pot Law Causing ConfusionD.C. Pot Law Causing ConfusionCity leaders have a warning about the Washington D.C. law that makes small amounts of marijuana legal. (Published Monday, Feb 23, 2015)
Bowser held a meeting Tuesday with Council members to lay out how she's advising the public on the law before Thursday. But local leaders are still waiting to see whether Congress will move to block it.
D.C. Bans Pot Testing of Job Applicants
Last November, D.C. voters approved Initiative 71, which legalized the possession of pot for recreational use. But the following month, Congress passed a federal spending bill that also sought to halt legalization, with a provision forbidding the city from spending federal or local funds to "enact" the law.
Republican leaders in the House insist that D.C. is barred from spending any money to enact the pot law. But the District says Congress acted too late to stop the legalization bill itself from going into effect.
It's unclear how the standoff will end.
D.C. Council, Congress Head for Pot Showdown
Earlier this month, the D.C. Council attempted to craft legislation to regulate and tax marijuana, similar to what's done with the sale of alcohol. However, D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine cautioned the Council to back away from those plans because due to Congress's restriction.
However, the District is still permitted to issue restrictions on marijuana. Bowser is expected to offer new legislation, possibly by next week, that would ban private clubs that would charge fees for attendees to smoke marijuana.
Alaska Becomes 3rd State to Legalize Marijuana
Medical marijuana is already legal in the District, and possession of small amounts of marijuana was decriminalized last year after Congress did not step in to block that law. Decriminalization made possession a citable offense similar to a parking ticket. However, since then, federal officers have arrested and charged about 30 people on federal land.

D.C. police will carry a business-card summary of the District's new pot laws.
Photo credit: Tom Sherwood
Published at 12:03 PM EST on Feb 24, 2015

www.instagram.com/schemeofthings

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It is...but don't fall of the okiedoke.... until Muriel n'dem put one in...
Feb 26th 2015
it's pretty clear even if it is a bit silly
Feb 26th 2015
if one were to start a crop now....could one?.... if yes, how long until
Feb 26th 2015
you can have 6 plants at home but only 3 can be mature at one time
Feb 26th 2015
ive only done the seedling thing a couple times but if u start now from ...
Feb 26th 2015
there are several factors
Feb 26th 2015
half way legalization is a huge problem in the NL right now
Feb 26th 2015
Repubs in Congress talking real tough. Put the Miracle Grow away...
Feb 26th 2015
No. It has been decriminalized.
Feb 26th 2015
no smoking in apartment buildings or attached housing
Feb 26th 2015
They're missing out on at least $30 million
Feb 26th 2015

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 10:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It is...but don't fall of the okiedoke.... until Muriel n'dem put one in..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-26-15 10:54 AM by FLUIDJ

the air in public...i'd pull back...

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "it's pretty clear even if it is a bit silly"
In response to Reply # 0

it's a giant half step forward

I almost don't hate on this legislation

it largely decriminalizes it but doesn't legalize it

it seems to be targeted at easing hardships for recreational users

i feel like they are going to tackle legalization and capitalizing once people prove that it's not going to become Hamsterdam lol

it's akin to the solicitation/prostitution enforcement

it's simple...

1.) carry less than 2 ounces
b.) avoid federal land (aka know where the federal land is)
c.) sellers beware.
d.) grow for dolo
e.) don't be a moron and smoke in public (or lose your stash)

i feel like they are encouraging people to grow it to eliminate reliance on blood weed (cartel weed)

they will have to deal with the fact that giving weed to friends and family isn't going to be the primary mode of procurement though...i feel like they will cross that bridge if this results in significantly less arrests and court cases...

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "if one were to start a crop now....could one?.... if yes, how long until"
In response to Reply # 2

crop season?

samsara
Member since Sep 15th 2002
3464 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:19 AM

4. "you can have 6 plants at home but only 3 can be mature at one time"
In response to Reply # 3

i didn't click back to the link i'd originally read
so you know
actually verify if you are planning to do this for real lol

"i fear no fate" e.e. cummings
"No girl. No fried chicken. I'm going back to get some sleep." - Haruki Murakami

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:58 AM

5. "ive only done the seedling thing a couple times but if u start now from ..."
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Feb-26-15 12:00 PM by LAbeathustla

clones ..you could have buds by july or august..... you can read on the net how to make the transfers to bigger containers... i usually dont begin mine until march or april which yields a late aug or sept harvest... you jus have to keeep them in the light for a long period of time and watered , and fed... i keep mine in pots and line them up on the side of my house that gets sunlight all day... plus they are sort of hidden by other bushes...plus my neighbor has mean ass dogs that keep people away if they spot it.. not too worried bout the laws at all .. got a med card if they show up.. but youll need a dark closet inside in the maturing stages..

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:53 PM

11. "there are several factors"
In response to Reply # 3

you need a basic understanding of botany and more specifically annuals to get an idea of whats going to work best with you.

essentially theres two main stages vegatative and flowering. (you can also say seedling is a seperate but thats unncessary for this part)

each stage is responsible for a specific part of the plants life and can vary on lengths depending on certain conditions both environmental and genetics.

when you buy your genetics(seeds) it usually will tell you its flowering period and will give a range.

Id say a month of flowering would be considered a short period and 2 months would be a long period. I do believe there are strains that flower 70 + days

All the above works pretty straightforward when indoors. Once you move outdoors you have less control. So no 24 hour light periods, no good tempperature control, pest control all that. if you are going to plant outdoors its best to have them in pots so you can move them around. if you are planting directly in the ground you are even more at the whim.

blah blah blah what im saying is outdoors you are more reliant on the "Seasons" the plant grows according to its environment to an extant.

you want the plant growing(veg) during the long days and short nights.

you want the plant flowering in the shorter days longer nights.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 09:15 PM

7. "half way legalization is a huge problem in the NL right now"
In response to Reply # 2

i hope we learn from their mistakes

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 09:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Repubs in Congress talking real tough. Put the Miracle Grow away..."
In response to Reply # 0

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 09:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "No. It has been decriminalized."
In response to Reply # 0

Sale is still illegal. Possession of up to 2 oz is fine. But how is a person supposed to get it? Gifts?

Chile, please.

fuck you.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 09:39 PM

9. "no smoking in apartment buildings or attached housing"
In response to Reply # 0

unless the the landlord or association allows it

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:40 PM

10. "They're missing out on at least $30 million"
In response to Reply # 0

If Colorado makes then $44 million ($76 million) they they can at least make $33 million.

Legislators need to think about new revenue streams....

Lobby General Discussion topic #12736577 Previous topic | Next topic