Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12734257

Subject: "OKP Legal : E-Signatures (ie. Preview in OS) legal?" Previous topic | Next topic
Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 06:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OKP Legal : E-Signatures (ie. Preview in OS) legal?"

Not sure if anyone has used Preview's signature feature to sign documents but I was wondering if this process of signing documents with OS Preview is legally binding?

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is a better question for google
Feb 23rd 2015
lol
Feb 23rd 2015
I looked but I didnt find much specifically with Mac OS Preview
Feb 23rd 2015
      You probably won't find something specific to Preview but you
Feb 24th 2015
It's all about trust and non-repudiation
Feb 24th 2015

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 07:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is a better question for google"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.docusign.com/electronic-signature-legality

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 07:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "lol"
In response to Reply # 1

to the OP, i use digital signatures in my line of work, they are legal

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 10:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I looked but I didnt find much specifically with Mac OS Preview"
In response to Reply # 1

I've mostly seen articles about certain programs

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 07:37 AM

5. "You probably won't find something specific to Preview but you "
In response to Reply # 3

should find that e-signatures in general are legal. I am not sure why Apple would build a e-signature solution that didn't pass legal muster.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 04:37 AM

4. "It's all about trust and non-repudiation"
In response to Reply # 0

If you create a self-signed cert/pub key and use the corresponding private to sign documents, there's no reason to trust that a document signed that way really came from you.
If you get others to sign your key, well now *they* can trust stuff that you sign. Doesn't mean that anyone else has to.
If you get a have a centralized infrastructure with CAs and the like, then the people that trust that CA can trust the stuff it signs. But if your job gets a cert signed by, Thawte for example, and then use that cert to sign other stuff...well, I can trust Thawte signed stuff...but I don't have trust stuff signed by your job's Thawte signed cert.

It can be a flimsy trust. For one, how are these various entities vetting your identity before signing your pub key? Secondly (and this is big), how do I know that you didn't do something silly like publish your private key to the webs? You have two keys, a private and a public. You publish the public, keep the private. Losing your private key is a game over scenario, and if you don't (or can't) revoke your key...woe onto anyone who trusts any new dcommunications signed by that key. Remember Heartbleed? That was for SSL, but same concept applies regarding trust.

I would think those two reasons alone would make for legal headaches...I'm not saying that you can't legally be held responsible. If people can be convinced that a key issued to you went through a vetting process wrt personal identification and that you had sole possession of the keys...then I guess you'd be bound.

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

Lobby General Discussion topic #12734257 Previous topic | Next topic