Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12733729

Subject: "NYT: Label Gives Jailed Shmurda the Kanye Shrug" Previous topic | Next topic
woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NYT: Label Gives Jailed Shmurda the Kanye Shrug"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/23/arts/music/hip-hop-star-bobby-shmurda-in-jail-finds-his-label-unsupportive.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
good.
Feb 23rd 2015
RE: NYT: Label Gives Jailed Shmurda the Kanye Shrug
Feb 23rd 2015
i'm actually surprised
Feb 23rd 2015
he *only* needs $200k, correct?
Feb 23rd 2015
exactly which is why i came up with that conspiracy theory above
Feb 23rd 2015
      Naw, Rowdy Rebel is gonna be locked up for the duration...he ain't
Feb 23rd 2015
           i think he only expects it because they actually said they would tho.
Feb 23rd 2015
           Also we saw how sour shit got when Jim Jones bailed Max B out
Feb 23rd 2015
                ain't that some shit? and people still mad at jim jones behind it
Feb 23rd 2015
it's all about PR and them protecting their brand...
Feb 23rd 2015
no it's not. they wouldn't have signed a rapper that raps
Feb 23rd 2015
      They're fine having him rap about it all day
Feb 24th 2015
For some reason I have sympathy for Shmurda but hated Chief Keef
Feb 23rd 2015
I think b/c Keef felt/appeared to be emboldened by the attention
Feb 23rd 2015
how? shmurda a million times worse
Feb 23rd 2015
Fuck this shmurda dude.
Feb 23rd 2015
Keef is a child hiding behind pain and dysfunction just the same.
Feb 24th 2015
      I don't though. When I see a grown man inciting and clowning the
Feb 24th 2015
i thought the charges were dismissed?
Feb 23rd 2015
his previous gun charge was dismissed
Feb 23rd 2015
we talking about bail???..nigga bout to do time
Feb 23rd 2015
the sad irony...guess the nigga wasnt so hot after all
Feb 23rd 2015
actually...
Feb 24th 2015
see what happens when you tapdance on the table, Mantan?
Feb 24th 2015

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 11:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "good. "
In response to Reply # 0

Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 11:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: NYT: Label Gives Jailed Shmurda the Kanye Shrug"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeIcqYciGLo

SHAstayhighalways
Member since Sep 03rd 2014
3696 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 11:37 AM

3. "i'm actually surprised"
In response to Reply # 0

but not at the same time. i was saying to my brother the other day they might be trying to build a more in-depth story behind him, let him suffer a lil bit, get that underdog status up
so that when he DOES come back out its more impactful financially for them.
i mean dude dropped an EP and NOBODY knows about it. i only know about it bc i went
searching to see if he has any other music and was shocked to find out it dropped
in november. they gonna bail him out one day, watch. (lol)

www.royallegacy.org

For Real (Official Video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRoCPO8esE

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 11:38 AM

4. "he *only* needs $200k, correct?"
In response to Reply # 0

did he run through his advance that fast?
and if the label has made their money back it seems like 200k wouldn't be a big deal when the opportunity to make even more money (off this arrest even) is out there

~~~~~~

SHAstayhighalways
3696 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 11:45 AM

5. "exactly which is why i came up with that conspiracy theory above"
In response to Reply # 4

lol like that's lunch money for epic/sony
why not bail him out?
i was at a fashion show that i performed at the other day and the dj played computers & shmoney dance all them NYU college kids knew the words
they need to free rowdy rebel too.
lol

www.royallegacy.org

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 12:04 PM

6. "Naw, Rowdy Rebel is gonna be locked up for the duration...he ain't"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Feb-23-15 12:08 PM by Fishgrease

comin' home.

I can't believe muhphuckas really be wanting their BOSS to come bail them out of jail. Sh*t don't work like that in the real world, and seldom works like that in entertainment.

Pac only got out because Suge was wooing him over to Tha' Row.

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

SHAstayhighalways
3696 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 12:12 PM

7. "i think he only expects it because they actually said they would tho."
In response to Reply # 6

and then they changed their tune which again is why i came up with that theory
like why even pump fake on that? lol if you not then just don't
i feel like its all an elaborate scheme to build a story around him

www.royallegacy.org

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42755 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 12:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Also we saw how sour shit got when Jim Jones bailed Max B out"
In response to Reply # 6

Max B made no less than 750 songs mentioning Jim Jones in a disparaging manner

AFTER Jim Jones put a mil up

SHAstayhighalways
3696 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 12:13 PM

9. "ain't that some shit? and people still mad at jim jones behind it"
In response to Reply # 8

#TeamJimJones

www.royallegacy.org

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 12:21 PM

10. "it's all about PR and them protecting their brand..."
In response to Reply # 0

they can afford to bail him out but they risk appearing like they've condoned his actions and aligning themselves with his crime by doing so. right now they can say "oh we signed him because of his music but we don't condone any of those things...etc.". if they bail him out they lose that argument and have to go on a campaign of "innocent until proven guilty" and all that which they probably don't feel is worth the trouble.

the other thing is, if they bail him out at 200k using whatever other assets as collateral and he for whatever reason fucks up again or skips bail then they really lose.

so they're just sitting tight and letting it all play out. if he gets off they still have him under contract and can still make money off him. if he gets locked up they can either cut their losses or release his album and make some change off it despite him being locked up.

they're just playing it safe like a big corporation is expected to. they don't give a fuck about him and he's not valueable enough to risk anything over. they'll just find another one of him.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 07:34 PM

17. "no it's not. they wouldn't have signed a rapper that raps"
In response to Reply # 10

about the streets if they were concerned about that. it's not like he's singing uplifting music. they're just cheap. his music will sell online anyway and bring them money. but most of the money now is made touring and performing and he can't if he's required to stay in the state. so, may as well leave his ass in jail.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 08:54 AM

23. "They're fine having him rap about it all day"
In response to Reply # 17
Tue Feb-24-15 09:01 AM by gumz

but him catching a case while under their employment is another story. They will just let dude ride out the justice system and if he gets off they'll be right back to exploiting him. He's not valuable enough to be attached to and for them to provide backing to him at this point though. They're just keeping their names out of it.

They also probably don't think he will make them much money beyond the hit single so why bother investing more?

This is no different then when teams release a player who catches a case. They want to distance themselves from it altogether. The difference here is that once the shit dies down they will still have the option of continuing his contract should they choose.

Edit: We actually don't completely disagree. Money is definitely part of it but it's deeper than the 200k they would have to put up to bail him out. They probably weighed whether it was worth investing in bailing him out and backing him while he goes through all this and figured it wasn't worth it. They already cashed out on his hit single.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 12:23 PM

11. "For some reason I have sympathy for Shmurda but hated Chief Keef"
In response to Reply # 0

Anyone else feels this way? trying to figure out how I distinguished the two in my mind. It might just be when I saw Schmurda in intreviews I found him personable and seemed like such a kid to me.

I changed sidewalks if I saw Keef coming AFTER I saw him in an interview.

Shrugs.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 12:32 PM

12. "I think b/c Keef felt/appeared to be emboldened by the attention"
In response to Reply # 11
Mon Feb-23-15 12:47 PM by teefiveten

Pitchfork was loving the idea of taking that fool to the gun range and filming it

whereas it didn't seem like Shmurda would have gone down that route as far as really giving Pitchfork or Epic that kind of material to work with

i know folks were cringing at that video of him performing but he was being offered an out

plus keef doesnt' seem apologetic or remorseful and he's had friends and family die AFTER "blowing up" because the flames kept being fueled

this is my observation on it. it may not be the most accurate. it's not like they had to "control" shmurda the short time he was signed. he was pretty much doing shows and stuff. he wasn't threatening anyone or displaying weaponry like keef. and this case that's against him was being built long before he blew up

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85002 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 02:07 PM

13. "how? shmurda a million times worse"

you cant good nigger bad nigger this shit.

<--- Big Baller World Order

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 03:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Fuck this shmurda dude."

Just listened to one of his garbage-ass songs (first time I've heard anything by him). Just more "I'm a thug" trash talk raps. Can't feel sympathy for a dude promoting negativity having some negative shit happen to him. Fuck Chief Keith too.

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14000 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 05:01 AM

21. "Keef is a child hiding behind pain and dysfunction just the same."

Probably harder to deal with because the pain and dysfunction is deeper.

Gotta see through the bullshit and at least try to understand our brothers and sisters.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 07:41 AM

22. "I don't though. When I see a grown man inciting and clowning the"
In response to Reply # 21

murder of another person to me it's okay to go ahead and write him off and focus the limited resources on black boys who aren't nearly so far gone.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

esb225
Member since Nov 12th 2003
41415 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 03:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "i thought the charges were dismissed? "
In response to Reply # 0

I got a good life man

SHAstayhighalways
3696 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 08:54 PM

18. "his previous gun charge was dismissed"
In response to Reply # 15

the one he got way before they got swept up in the studio with like a million guns laying around lol

www.royallegacy.org

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59131 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 04:20 PM

16. "we talking about bail???..nigga bout to do time"
In response to Reply # 0

Da hell epic care about giving dude a few months out. If he somehow beat the charge, he under contract anyway. Epic win no matter what.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 11:23 PM

19. "the sad irony...guess the nigga wasnt so hot after all"
In response to Reply # 0

i hope he gets out, beats these charges & goes for meek mills belt

meek mill is the king in waiting. yall know that of course.

this kid has potential. needs better consistency in his beats tho.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

neuro_OSX
Member since Oct 29th 2004
1157 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 12:38 AM

20. "actually..."
In response to Reply # 19

He was so hot he had to get himself put in jail to cool off... LMAO !!

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 09:20 AM

24. "see what happens when you tapdance on the table, Mantan?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12733729 Previous topic | Next topic