Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12733464

Subject: "Angry Young Men." Previous topic | Next topic
Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 08:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Angry Young Men."

Young Muslim Men from all around the world are going joining Jihadist groups.

In America we have a tradition of young white men shooting up public buildings.

In the west we've seen rises in radical anti-immigrant groups full of angry young European men.

Men's Rights Activists are the de jure support groups for disaffected young men who feel that they're under attack.

And in the black community...well how long do you have?

What the fuck is going on here?

Maybe none of these things are connected, but I've long thought that the worst thing a country can have is a bunch of young, purposeless men who can't find good jobs. It's begging for trouble.

Thoughts, ideas, conspiracies?

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The effects of modern technology on men's lives?
Feb 22nd 2015
What's the impact of technology in your estimation.
Feb 22nd 2015
      Moreso that technology has erased alot of the type of work
Feb 22nd 2015
           Yeah, this is one that you here a lot and I think it has a lot of merit....
Feb 22nd 2015
I mean those young London girls
Feb 22nd 2015
Isis wants to build a state, not just an army.
Feb 22nd 2015
      oh right this is about what young
Feb 22nd 2015
           I mean, I think there are young disaffected women as well..
Feb 22nd 2015
young angry black boys get killed before they become men
Feb 22nd 2015
The second observation is one that doesn't get spoken on enough.
Feb 22nd 2015
      id love to hear an example
Feb 22nd 2015
      of?
Feb 22nd 2015
      the "good black man" from the 90s
Feb 23rd 2015
people lead unfulfilling lives
Feb 22nd 2015
welp, they have no purpose
Feb 23rd 2015
Wherever men go, society goes with it.
Feb 27th 2015
fuck outta here.
Feb 27th 2015
      You first.
Feb 28th 2015
Wherever men go, society goes with it.
Feb 27th 2015
YT America refuses to acknowledge the mistakes in raising children
Feb 28th 2015
I generally agree on your first statement, and I've got some thoughts
Feb 28th 2015

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 08:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "The effects of modern technology on men's lives?"
In response to Reply # 0

Technological impact on the labor market, weapons, and pr0nz.

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "What's the impact of technology in your estimation. "
In response to Reply # 1

Is it because now more of these misfits can band together online?

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Moreso that technology has erased alot of the type of work"
In response to Reply # 2

that men used to do, and alot of men are having a hard time adjusting. Technology has liberated many women from the domestic drudgery that traditional gender roles had placed them in, as well, so they're not nearly as dependent on men. Plus, excessive pr0n can possibly have the effect of throwing men into a weird mental and emotional place.

I hadn't even considered the effect that tech has on bringing disaffected men together, which it definitely does.

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 10:02 PM

10. "Yeah, this is one that you here a lot and I think it has a lot of merit...."
In response to Reply # 9

>that men used to do, and alot of men are having a hard time
>adjusting. Technology has liberated many women from the
>domestic drudgery that traditional gender roles had placed
>them in, as well, so they're not nearly as dependent on men.
>Plus, excessive pr0n can possibly have the effect of throwing
>men into a weird mental and emotional place.

This is one of those areas though, where I think that men would benefit from considering how patriarchy hurts them as well. If anything Technology should liberate men from our hierarchical economy and free them up to be more self-actualized, but our understanding of manhood is imbedded in an archaic and rapidly disintegrating economy.

How should men adjust? How do you think they will?

>I hadn't even considered the effect that tech has on bringing
>disaffected men together, which it definitely does.

I think like a lot of subgroups, it helps to reinforce and exacerbate problems.

If you believe all women are evil scheming liars, going to forums where people post news articles about lying women, share anecdotes about lying women, and rally around people who can articulate those ideas better than they can...well you know what happens.

I think the only reason this hasn't boiled over more is that social media is still MEDIA, meaning that the social experience is still being filtered and translated. It's not like a German beer hall in the late 1920's, where you can actually be affected by real social cues, and and actually cajoled into smashing some heads.

ISIS can recruit people online to actually go fight for them, but think about the size and finances of that organization. I think the only reason we don't see MRA's out in more force is that these websites are still relatively small.

sosumi
Member since May 30th 2012
858 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I mean those young London girls"
In response to Reply # 0

left join to join isil

but back in the day I guess I would have been
on that albert nobbs...

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:17 PM

4. "Isis wants to build a state, not just an army. "
In response to Reply # 3

sosumi
Member since May 30th 2012
858 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "oh right this is about what young"
In response to Reply # 4

men do, sorry.

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:46 PM

8. "I mean, I think there are young disaffected women as well.."
In response to Reply # 5

...but because we're in an age where gender roles, in western cultures, are shifting, I don't know if the problems are necessarily the same.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "young angry black boys get killed before they become men"
In response to Reply # 0

Angry middle age black men are too financially tied to the system to to be rebels

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:45 PM

7. "The second observation is one that doesn't get spoken on enough. "
In response to Reply # 6

Though I think your first statement is well put.

I had an encounter with the latter type a few days ago.

I can't remember the last time my wavelengths were so out of tune with someone else. He kept using business lingo from the late 90's. For once in my life I was speechless.

I never know what to do when I encounter those black people who are so steadfast in their insistence that they're leading black people forward, but do so through buying into the system. And I don't mean black conservatives. I mean the type of black person who votes democrat, but constantly complains about poor black people, while quoting David Ramsay.

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6018 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 10:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "id love to hear an example"
In response to Reply # 7

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 11:15 PM

13. "of?"
In response to Reply # 12

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 10:07 AM

14. "the "good black man" from the 90s "
In response to Reply # 7

doing it all the right way
hates hiphop
and filled with a bunch of rage at having to be nutless everyday at work to keep the family fed.

Shit's fucked up, and I know like 50 of'em

rzaroch36
Member since Jan 26th 2005
2462 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 10:18 PM

11. "people lead unfulfilling lives"
In response to Reply # 0

For myriad reasons.

Something has to fill that void, and inspire action.

Life is mundane. People want more. A reason.

So yeah, let's go fight for a cause because it gives a purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5P6zdlPJ34&feature=related
^^^ever walked the streets of...

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 10:13 AM

15. "welp, they have no purpose"
In response to Reply # 0

Western culture still hammers very traditional, narrow views of masculinity that don't relate at all to what the modern world is.

so there's a vacuum there that's going to be filled with...something.

Tragically we live in a culture that's much more invested in a "vs" instead of a "with", so that emotional neediness that a lot of young men feel is gonna be brushed aside a lot. And to be honest, a lot of those groups of young men make targets of others as well.

Shit's fucked up

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 10:47 PM

"Wherever men go, society goes with it. "

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13355 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 11:19 PM

17. "fuck outta here."
In response to Reply # 0

smh

Shaun Tha Don
18289 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 12:03 AM

18. "You first."
In response to Reply # 17

Shaun Tha Don
18289 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 10:47 PM

16. "Wherever men go, society goes with it. "
In response to Reply # 0

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28839 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 12:33 AM

19. "YT America refuses to acknowledge the mistakes in raising children"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Feb-28-15 12:38 AM by Kira

>Young Muslim Men from all around the world are going joining
>Jihadist groups.
>
>In America we have a tradition of young white men shooting up
>public buildings.
>
>In the west we've seen rises in radical anti-immigrant groups
>full of angry young European men.
>
>Men's Rights Activists are the de jure support groups for
>disaffected young men who feel that they're under attack.
>
>And in the black community...well how long do you have?
>
>What the fuck is going on here?
>
>Maybe none of these things are connected, but I've long
>thought that the worst thing a country can have is a bunch of
>young, purposeless men who can't find good jobs. It's begging
>for trouble.
>
>Thoughts, ideas, conspiracies?

The anti-immigrant, anti-women, terrorist white men are the result of messages telling them the system failed them. The system has failed them so out of sheer rage they target women, immigrants, minorities, and lash out by killing everyone. Say what you want about the black community but we take responsibility. These white people are the result of insufficient parents and found out the hard way the world will not cater to them. As an educated black male it's laughable to watch these entitled white males suddenly realize the world isn't what they thought it was. We've handled this situation with honor and grace befitting of our heritage. These shits react by fucking up everyone and whining. YT america should've spent more time raising kids and less time at rallies. All that talk of values went out the window when their children became terrorists. They're deflecting blame to this day.

The ISIS thing is entirely the fault of Neocons playing games with the world. If Bush didn't go big dick Texan on Iraq and Afghanistan then ISIS isn't around and if it is then it isn't nearly as powerful. Motherfucker decided to overthrow a leader but lacked the foresight to see the consequences of these actions. I do not sympathize with ISIS members at all but Bush doctrine did disenfranchise people and sowed the seeds for their rise to power.

*EDIT*

Innocent black children that remotely exhibit any signs of the mythological angry black man syndrome are killed. In other words, these innocent children are labeled as violent before they've had a chance to blossom as their contemporaries are given free passes develop at their pace.

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 11:07 AM

20. "I generally agree on your first statement, and I've got some thoughts"
In response to Reply # 19

I want to put together that gets more in depth on that, but it'll have to be for another time.

Suffice to say I think it is a cultural problem, just like I do think that gang violence is a cultural problem. What I object to is the racialization of the cultural problem. I only do that towards white people for its rhetorical shock value. Race and culture are not the same thing, but so many people can't move past that so we can't actually talk about what the cultural problem is. Black people didn't decide to face housing discrimination and or be denied employment opportunities. Culture is developed through circumstance, not through some innate racial mindset. Similarly I don't think there is something genetically unique to white men that makes them go on rampages I think that their particular circumstances, like those of others, narrow certain paths and personalities, while widening others.

As for the second point you made....well, I do agree that our meddling has allowed for a vacuum of power in that region, which ISIS filled in a way that Al Qaeda never could, I wouldn't take all the agency away from the people in ISIS. I'm against blanket Islamophobia, but it wouldn't be prudent to think of it as something other than a political ideology. It is after all running a state. The fact that it is connected to a holy book is significant, but no more so than how our religious devotion to our founding documents shapes and complicates the choices we've made in the past and continue to make.

These are real people, following a set of beliefs that they believe will allow them to operate on a global scale. We shouldn't lose sight of that and make it all about us.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12733464 Previous topic | Next topic