Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12733381

Subject: "School me on petty bribery" Previous topic | Next topic
John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 04:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"School me on petty bribery"

Regale me with tales of bribing bouncers, maitre ds and hotel desk clerks. How much do you slip them? what's your success rate like?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
used to slide 'em my business cards
Feb 22nd 2015
you went clubbing with a knife in your shoe?
Feb 22nd 2015
      It was Detroit in the 90's...
Feb 22nd 2015
That sounds like a confession to me (c) Tip
Feb 22nd 2015
its literally part of the culture in Nigeria
Feb 22nd 2015
It works better in developing countries but pretty effective all over
Feb 22nd 2015
No tales of slipping the front-desk clerk a 20/50/100 ?
Feb 23rd 2015

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 04:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "used to slide 'em my business cards"
In response to Reply # 0

When I was clubbin and whatnot back in Detroit, I worked for a car audio chain and later for a large local musical instrument chain. I'd just slide my card, tell 'em to come see me about whatever and I'd hook 'em up with that good discount if they let me slide by with the knife in my shoe. Usually worked at clubs. At more upscale restaurants the cards carried weight 'cause of who the owners of the shops were. "Oh, you're one of so-and-so's guys???"

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 05:45 PM

4. "you went clubbing with a knife in your shoe?"
In response to Reply # 1

so many questions.

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 07:20 PM

6. "It was Detroit in the 90's..."
In response to Reply # 4

that should answer all questions.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28833 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 05:10 PM

2. "That sounds like a confession to me (c) Tip"
In response to Reply # 0

I would never commit a crime of any kind.

woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 05:44 PM

3. "its literally part of the culture in Nigeria"
In response to Reply # 0

at virtually every level of commerce/business.
though in fairness, i think it has toned down somewhat since I was there as a kid in the 80s.

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 06:24 PM

5. "It works better in developing countries but pretty effective all over"
In response to Reply # 0

In a developing country I will toss out like $1-$5 bribes all over the place to get things done, get faster service, get extras, etc. Once I bribed a couple cops in Costa Rica, $10 a head, high-rent district by the beach lol.

In North America I find bribing skycaps at the airport is a good way to save money. Several times I was facing $100-$200 in baggage fees and a crisp twenty or fifty made them go away (i usually tip about a quarter of what i am facing in fees).

I also find that if you are trying to use some piece of equipment that is not for public use, like a dolly or a washing machine or something, a quick bribe/tip usually solves the issue. I usually give either 5 or 10 for that depending on the context.

I never bribed a host or a bouncer, I don't know there is something offensive about that to me.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 10:40 AM

7. "No tales of slipping the front-desk clerk a 20/50/100 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12733381 Previous topic | Next topic