Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12733250

Subject: "Ignorant and possibly racist Academy member goes off on "Selma"" Previous topic | Next topic
neuro_OSX
Member since Oct 29th 2004
1157 posts
Sat Feb-21-15 09:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ignorant and possibly racist Academy member goes off on "Selma""

She claims "Selma" didnt get nominated because it didnt contain an artistry. I guess I missed all that artistry in "The Help", "Monters Ball"... yea.. uhhh huh... She says she was offended by the "I can't breathe" t shirts worn by the cast at the premiere, so presumably she was offended by the Civil Rights movement as well. Oh and how fascinating she thinks that the only racists are "hillbillies" like the hill-folk depicted in the movie "Deliverance". Oddly enough I don't recall any racist moments in that film at all, please correct me if I'm wrong. I wonder how old this woman is, anything under 75 and I am disturbed.. SMH

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-2015-773902

quote:

First, let me say that I'm tired of all of this talk about "snubs" — I thought for every one of there was a justifiable reason. What no one wants to say out loud is that Selma is a well-crafted movie, but there's no art to it. If the movie had been directed by a 60-year-old white male, I don't think that people would have been carrying on about it to the level that they were. And as far as the accusations about the Academy being racist?

Yes, most members are white males, but they are not the cast of Deliverance — they had to get into the Academy to begin with, so they're not cretinous, snaggletoothed hillbillies. When a movie about black people is good, members vote for it.

But if the movie isn't that good, am I supposed to vote for it just because it has black people in it? I've got to tell you, having the cast show up in T-shirts saying "I can't breathe" — I thought that stuff was offensive. Did they want to be known for making the best movie of the year or for stirring up shit?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
And Boyhood contains artistry. film yt for 12 years wins awards. Smh
Feb 21st 2015
but in regards to "American Sniper", NOW she's able to separate
Feb 21st 2015
RE: but in regards to "American Sniper", NOW she's able to separate
Feb 21st 2015
*shrug* hollywood reporter does this every year
Feb 22nd 2015
RE: *shrug* hollywood reporter does this every year
Feb 22nd 2015
Haha good! Get mad you out of touch hack.
Feb 22nd 2015
Sidenote: Historically Appalachians didn't really own slaves and weren't
Feb 22nd 2015
Well done
Feb 23rd 2015

81 DUN
Member since Feb 10th 2009
1674 posts
Sat Feb-21-15 10:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "And Boyhood contains artistry. film yt for 12 years wins awards. Smh"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Feb-21-15 10:34 PM by 81 DUN

homer_pimpson225
Member since Apr 28th 2005
8322 posts
Sat Feb-21-15 11:17 PM

2. "but in regards to "American Sniper", NOW she's able to separate"
In response to Reply # 0

... art from politics?

---------------

"And I don't like niggas screamin 'live life' when you livin life like a pussy/Green dot goals get sent to my niggas, Lord pray I keep a'pushin!'" © Black Phil Collins

neuro_OSX
Member since Oct 29th 2004
1157 posts
Sat Feb-21-15 11:24 PM

3. "RE: but in regards to "American Sniper", NOW she's able to separate"
In response to Reply # 2

BOOM!!! There it is !!

And her disconnect regarding "Selma" and folks wearing "I can't breathe t-shirts to the premiere is astonishing" hello!! Ummm civil rights issue... WTF ! Going so far as to say she was offended and felt these folks were trying to "stir up some shit"  No, the shit was stirred up 300 years ago and as a result a disproportionate number of white folks have yet to comes to terms with and deal with the shit some of their ancestors stirred up and some of them continue to perpetrate.

GTFOH!

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 12:39 AM

4. "*shrug* hollywood reporter does this every year"
In response to Reply # 0

they find some anonymous academy member (maybe the same one every year) to "speak the truth" about the oscar nominations, and the fire always gets turned on whatever the most prominent black films or nominees are.

if i remember correctly, both quvenzhane wallis and gabourey sidibe were considered unworthy of their nominations because they weren't acting, they just pulled some black girls off the street to play themselves.

i'm sure they think they're providing their readers with insider insight, but really they might as well just print some youtube comments.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:34 PM

6. "RE: *shrug* hollywood reporter does this every year"
In response to Reply # 4

>if i remember correctly, both quvenzhane wallis and gabourey
>sidibe were considered unworthy of their nominations because
>they weren't acting, they just pulled some black girls off the
>street to play themselves.
>

Which is what we learned straight from the school of Pacino and DeNiro. Have you ever seen one of them get lost in a character? Or is it them in different hair and clothing?

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 08:26 AM

5. "Haha good! Get mad you out of touch hack."
In response to Reply # 0

And get a real job while you're at it.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Sidenote: Historically Appalachians didn't really own slaves and weren't"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-22-15 09:54 PM by Lardlad95

really part of the sections of the south that adhered so closely to notions of white supremacy.

Appalachians are 1) descended from the poor of the Irish and Scottish marches, so they were distrustful of authority and 2) lacked the finances and geographic location to own large scale plantations.

This isn't to say that they loved black people, but If I recall Eastern, TN and West Virginia wanted out of the confederacy.

Those hillfolk might not be progressive today, but they have been slandered in ways that aren't historically accurate.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard

Lil Rabies
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1586 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 01:31 AM

8. "Well done"
In response to Reply # 7

Good points.

Taking shots in the dark/that's a bad call
Going straight for your head/ gotta saw it off

Lobby General Discussion topic #12733250 Previous topic | Next topic