Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12731739

Subject: "OKLawyer Advice needed ..." Previous topic | Next topic
QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 03:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OKLawyer Advice needed ..."

... in regards to a severance pay out. I have a friend who's dept. got consolidated and moved to a different part of the state. They offered him to make the commute or take severance. He took severance, and it was so slow at work he left about an hour and a half early. When he got home to read the paperwork with wifey it says he needed to work "satisfactorily" until his last day. Because he left early he is now freaking out that they're going to deny him. I told him chill, I doubt 90 minutes would negate the payout after what the company did to him but he feels that if the company just up and moved and he wasn't with it that they would use that loophole against him. What's your thoughts guys and gals?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
most.expensive.90min.eVAR
Feb 19th 2015
no one here has any reasonable basis to answer this
Feb 19th 2015
did he tell them he was leaving or
Feb 19th 2015
RE: did he tell them he was leaving or
Feb 19th 2015
      okay but did he tell them he was leaving or did he just walk out?
Feb 19th 2015
           RE: okay but did he tell them he was leaving or did he just walk out?
Feb 19th 2015
I'd look to the timing of the document.
Feb 19th 2015
RE: I'd look to the timing of the document.
Feb 19th 2015
      If I were his lawyer I'd strike that section out and say it's no longer
Feb 19th 2015
Is he an air traffic controller?
Feb 19th 2015
no.
Feb 19th 2015

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 03:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "most.expensive.90min.eVAR"
In response to Reply # 0

woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 03:15 PM

2. "no one here has any reasonable basis to answer this"
In response to Reply # 0

tell him to relax.

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

StephBMore
Member since Sep 11th 2014
1373 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 03:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "did he tell them he was leaving or "
In response to Reply # 0

did he just go home on his own accord? also, is this okay with his job? like has he done this before? or is this the first time (if this is the first time and he ain't tell anyone, he's an idiot).

at any rate, he should just do his work hard and try to make up that 1.5 hours later if necessary (if they say anything he can claim he left early because he knew he'd be working later another day)

but sheesh...

QBoogie
5885 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 03:43 PM

4. "RE: did he tell them he was leaving or "
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Feb-19-15 03:44 PM by QBoogie

he earlied out on his very last day. Not something he's done very often maybe like once a year if that.

StephBMore
Member since Sep 11th 2014
1373 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 05:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "okay but did he tell them he was leaving or did he just walk out? "
In response to Reply # 4

in any event, if it was his last day, the least he could have done was say "hey it's not busy and this is my last day so is it cool if I leave early?" only thing they could do is say yes or no. if they said no who cares, its' your last day.

QBoogie
5885 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 06:50 PM

10. "RE: okay but did he tell them he was leaving or did he just walk out? "
In response to Reply # 8

he basically told them that he was leaving.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 04:06 PM

5. "I'd look to the timing of the document. "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-19-15 04:07 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

the "work "satisfactorily" until his last day" statement should only cover the period from when he signs it (execution date) until his last day.

If he signs it, works satisfactory until his last day and then they deny his payments based on something that happened before the execution date, that's be really F'd.

But it's all hard to say without seeing exact language.

I would tell him don't worry about it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

QBoogie
5885 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 05:06 PM

6. "RE: I'd look to the timing of the document. "
In response to Reply # 5

he's yet to sign it and already worked his last day.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 05:10 PM

7. "If I were his lawyer I'd strike that section out and say it's no longer"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu Feb-19-15 05:10 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

applicable.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 05:23 PM

9. "Is he an air traffic controller?"
In response to Reply # 0

QBoogie
5885 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 06:55 PM

11. "no."
In response to Reply # 9

Lobby General Discussion topic #12731739 Previous topic | Next topic