Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12731627

Subject: "California Oil Refinery Explodes" Previous topic | Next topic
Binladen
Charter member
14123 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 02:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"California Oil Refinery Explodes"

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Torrance-Refinery-Exxon-Mobil-Explosion-292413021.html
Welp

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
get ready for higher gas prices
Feb 19th 2015
pretty much
Feb 19th 2015
sabotage
Feb 19th 2015
RE: sabotage ^^^^^^^^^^^
Feb 19th 2015
      Holy shit I can't believe he got a co-sign
Feb 19th 2015
           I can't stand it, I know you planned it, Imma set it stright this waterg...
Feb 19th 2015
i remember when it happened before back in the early 00s
Feb 19th 2015
Uncle Bob!-(c) Bud
Feb 19th 2015
As if the air quality ain't shitty enough there....terrible
Feb 20th 2015
My dad worked here back in the 80 and 90's
Feb 20th 2015
Oil Worker Strike going on from Cali to Kentucky...
Feb 20th 2015

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 02:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "get ready for higher gas prices"
In response to Reply # 0

no it doesnt matter that it happened in CA

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Binladen
Charter member
14123 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 02:46 PM

2. "pretty much"
In response to Reply # 1

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 02:51 PM

3. "sabotage"
In response to Reply # 0

neuro_OSX
Member since Oct 29th 2004
1157 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 04:58 PM

4. "RE: sabotage ^^^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 3

BOOM!! exactly, plus all that shit is insured. They take out one of their refineries, use that as an excuse to raise prices.

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 08:04 PM

6. "Holy shit I can't believe he got a co-sign"
In response to Reply # 4

>BOOM!! exactly, plus all that shit is insured. They take out
>one of their refineries, use that as an excuse to raise
>prices.

Congratulations

neuro_OSX
Member since Oct 29th 2004
1157 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 09:41 PM

7. "I can't stand it, I know you planned it, Imma set it stright this waterg..."
In response to Reply # 6

HAHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 05:33 PM

5. "i remember when it happened before back in the early 00s"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 09:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Uncle Bob!-(c) Bud"
In response to Reply # 0

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Fri Feb-20-15 12:59 AM

9. "As if the air quality ain't shitty enough there....terrible"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Stoogie
Member since Dec 06th 2006
12348 posts
Fri Feb-20-15 01:35 AM

10. "My dad worked here back in the 80 and 90's"
In response to Reply # 0

"A nation or civilization that continues to produce soft-minded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan" (c) Martin Luther King Jr.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Fri Feb-20-15 09:04 AM

11. "Oil Worker Strike going on from Cali to Kentucky..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/02/18/3624434/california-refinery-explosion/

The workers at the Torrance refinery are represented by United Steelworkers (USW), the same union leading unprecedented oil worker strikes nationwide. Those strikes, the largest of oil workers since 1980, are in part because of what the union sees as dangerous conditions, including leaks and explosions. The union asserts that these dangerous conditions are often caused by improper treatment of workers — unsafe staffing levels, bad training, absentee managment, and “flagrant contracting” number among the union’s complaints.

While the workers at the Torrance refinery were not striking, the local USW branch it is represented by — USW Local 675 — is, leading an ongoing strike at the nearby Tesoro oil refinery in Carson, California. On a phone interview with ThinkProgress on Wednesday, USW Local 675’s Secretary-Treasurer Dave Campbell said the explosion at Torrance drove home the need for action on behalf of all oil workers who often risk their lives to do their jobs.

“We ask all workers to bow their heads and pray. It has been a very emotional day,” he said. “And this is one hell of a way to have the point emphasized that we have been trying to make with these companies, trying to make with the public … these safety concerns that we have need to be taken seriously.”

As for whether the ongoing strikes will go on longer or expand because of Wednesday’s explosion, Campbell said he said he’s not quite sure.

“I don’t know at this point. I’m not really thinking about that,” he said. “I do know that people are angry and upset, not quite sure if us giving 24 hours notice of going on strike helps — but a lot of people have the emotion that they want to do it, and we’ll see.”

hmm...

Lobby General Discussion topic #12731627 Previous topic | Next topic