Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12728170

Subject: "idea: The strength of America is also it's weakness" Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 12:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"idea: The strength of America is also it's weakness"

*I know its politically incorrect to say "America" when I really mean "North America". Subject string length be damned.

A thought I've been kicking around for a few days, its pretty loose and I'm trying to articulate it but, here goes

I believe the thing that makes the USA great is because of the hybrid culture and history. I'd rather not use the term "melting pot" because that is very loaded term.
But, I think its possible to admit that a lot of our traditions and culture are assemblage of sources brought in from people from other places.

(I realize that this is a tricky area to navigate given the brutal effects of supremacy, racism and classism)

This might be a bad analogy but I think about hybridization in biology and how it can sometimes produce stronger organisms than organisms from the source

This pooling of various outlooks is what gives the US its own flavor. I cannot prove it but I believe that this has been our strength

So now on the other side of things I believe that this is also our weakness. We are divided, hard lines are drawn.

Many people do not want to be inclusive while at the same time not realizing that this country's strength comes from it's hybrid nature.

I get how many of us want the best of other cultures but do not want to own up to it or include the people of the culture....this is also where I think about this being a weak point / stress riser for US culture/politics

Now, I am not a historian, and I'm not a scholar, this is the start of an idea (and one that I am sure is not unique at all) thats been circling in my head, it is incomplete and so I post it here to get some perspective

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
diversity is definitely our gift and our curse
Feb 16th 2015
sho' nuff
Feb 17th 2015
Lucrative and unchecked greed is the gift and curse.
Feb 17th 2015

NikaMandela
Charter member
35230 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 12:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "diversity is definitely our gift and our curse"
In response to Reply # 0

and i think America is appropriate for USA. Canada is not America.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Feb-17-15 10:07 AM

2. "sho' nuff"
In response to Reply # 1

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Meadow
Member since May 05th 2012
1160 posts
Tue Feb-17-15 11:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Lucrative and unchecked greed is the gift and curse."
In response to Reply # 0

It kind of annoyed me that no one actually answered your question.

You were so wrong but so eagerly genuine about discussing it.

Native American genocide
African American slavery
Undocumented immigrant labor
Rise of corporations and the oligarchy

If America wasnt so historically and currently greedy to the point of railroading people of other ethnicities who dont have other viable options, the country wouldnt have such a huge race problem.

-------------------
'Some have lives that haven't gone the way they planned, and some are trapped in situations they can't stand...'

Lobby General Discussion topic #12728170 Previous topic | Next topic