Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12727488

Subject: "How much of religion is Euhemeristic?" Previous topic | Next topic
Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 09:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"How much of religion is Euhemeristic?"

Euhemerism is, simply put, the idea that myths are really just historical accounts that got exaggerated and more fantastical over time.

So Odin, Zues, Jesus, etc. were based on real people who later had their stories altered and exaggerated to suit the purposes of the culture relaying the message.

So Thor would be based on a Northern Germanic hero who lived before recorded history, and his story just got more metaphysical as time went on.

For me this seems to be a logical step in the creation of religion, when you consider the preponderance of ancestor worship as a component of many religions around the globe, and our own modern tendency to exalt and mythologize our leaders and heroes.

Also, it makes sense when you consider how many epics are used as a way to justify ruling families and connect them back to other figures or deities of historical significance.

Am I off base here? What do you think?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
If you read a biography on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s during his
Feb 14th 2015
We did build him a temple along with all of our other demi-gods.
Feb 14th 2015
      Well, this seems like a message to the ancestors
Feb 14th 2015
i really like this word: Euhemeristic
Feb 14th 2015
it doesn't require people though
Feb 14th 2015
But...you can't have personification without people.
Feb 14th 2015
      if you believe the world is flat...
Feb 14th 2015
I'd say 100% of all the commonly practiced religions due to them
Feb 14th 2015
I think a little bit, but I'm more in the God of the Gaps camp
Feb 14th 2015
They're all grown up fairy tales we're not allowed to ridicule
Feb 14th 2015
Bigfoot is more likely to exist than the Christian/Jewish/Muslim God
Feb 15th 2015
      Why can't they both exist?
Feb 15th 2015
           Because people don't fight wars over Bigfoot
Feb 15th 2015
                Bigfoot didn't spawn amazing art and philosophy.
Feb 15th 2015
                Yes, that trumps the death, war and destruction, doesn't it.
Feb 15th 2015
                     It must be so fun to live in that simple little mind of yours.
Feb 16th 2015
                          Its very fun indeed, all that writing and you say nothing lol
Feb 16th 2015
                               So...you just admitted to being simple.
Feb 16th 2015
                Religious leaders conspired to kill Jesus
Feb 15th 2015
                     And you put this all on a book that is 'the word of god'
Feb 15th 2015
                          Treat thy neighbor as thy self is a lie?
Feb 16th 2015
                          but they are fables lol, why are you scared to fully admit it?
Feb 16th 2015
                               Goddamn you're dumb!
Feb 16th 2015
                                    My money's on Recovering Catholic.
Feb 16th 2015
                                         how is it they never see the irony of evangelical atheism?
Feb 16th 2015
                                         You would know, sweetheart lol
Feb 16th 2015
                                              ^^^^This fucknugget doesn't even know what back pedaling means.
Feb 16th 2015
                                                   lol
Feb 16th 2015
                                                        you might wanna read some anthropology
Feb 16th 2015
                                                        would that clear up zombie jesus & ppl living in whales, love
Feb 16th 2015
                                                             it would help you to not be ignorant
Feb 16th 2015
                                                             and you're adorable. doesnt mean you're too bright tho
Feb 16th 2015
                                                             What do you get out of being a troll? Seriously?
Feb 16th 2015
                                                                  I like laughing at nonsense thats all
Feb 16th 2015
                                                                       You lost hard bitch. Get a new hobby you suck at trolling you fucking lo...
Feb 16th 2015
                                                                       i guess i did lol
Feb 16th 2015
                                                                       No, that was easy. You're just bad at this. One of the worst I've ever s...
Feb 16th 2015
                                                                       now that just hurts
Feb 16th 2015
                                                                       http://i.imgur.com/aZG3LCT.gif
Feb 16th 2015
                                                                       Lmao...I was done. I was...but I just clicked that link. Lmao...
Feb 16th 2015
                                                                            lol. yup
Feb 17th 2015
                                                        RE: lol
Feb 16th 2015
                                                             Millions believe in those tales sweetie
Feb 16th 2015
                                                             millions believe in those fairy tales tho, to the word lol
Feb 16th 2015
Feb 16th 2015
                          Belief in a God != religion
Feb 16th 2015
                               Bruh, you were just quoting a coloring book for adults.
Feb 16th 2015
^^^I think this. Illuminati is an example of this for me.
Feb 15th 2015
      This is how I explained it to a student once.
Feb 16th 2015
I tend to think they're all related and pre flood stories
Feb 15th 2015
i think that's part of it
Feb 15th 2015
Somebody learned a new word..
Feb 15th 2015
You haven't proven yourself to be someone who debates in good faith.
Feb 16th 2015
      Disagree. You two morons are perfect for each other
Feb 16th 2015
           Mommy and daddy made you wear that itchy suit to church huh?
Feb 16th 2015
           LOL.. My obvious obsession with men? HAHAHA! Really?
Feb 17th 2015

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 09:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "If you read a biography on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s during his"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Feb-14-15 09:28 AM by c71

holiday in January, you might get some insight.

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 09:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "We did build him a temple along with all of our other demi-gods. "
In response to Reply # 1

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/08/23/us/MLK-1/MLK-1-articleLarge.jpg

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 09:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Well, this seems like a message to the ancestors"
In response to Reply # 3

What they struggled for.

In our estimation...........

ia regarded as worthy of..........

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 09:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i really like this word: Euhemeristic"
In response to Reply # 0

the english language is amazing in that there's almost a word to convey whatever it is one wants to say.

the post: i think im part of the choir: i.e 100% of religion is stories.
judaism - history of the jewish people (id say similar to other folks creation stories and oral histories)
xtianity... an update to the old story
islam... another update but with different peoples
b'ahai - an acknowledgment that the old stories need updating

hinduism...history of the..

blablabla

if it helps people get through life, im happy they are happy

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 09:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "it doesn't require people though"
In response to Reply # 0

personification of things seen in the stars i think also play a big part.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 10:11 AM

6. "But...you can't have personification without people. "
In response to Reply # 5
Sat Feb-14-15 10:12 AM by Lardlad95

Those inanimate objects that I'm placing human emotions and conditions on to still require that I have at least a basic philosophical perception of other humans having internally consistent consciousnesses.

Without that, I wouldn't be ale to make the leap towards putting human conditions onto an object that is even further removed from my own perception than another human would be.

Turning the wind into a god, just means that I'm considering the motivations and emotions of an immensely powerful human that just doesn't happen to have the form of a human (not counting avatars). There is no way for me to have an inanimate object act with agency without having to first filter that through human perception and agency.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 10:29 AM

7. "if you believe the world is flat..."
In response to Reply # 6

giant orbs in the sky could easily be gods. stars are constantly moving. all you need is to see one stellar event and then you can start attributing the motivations behind what's happened.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 01:21 PM

8. "I'd say 100% of all the commonly practiced religions due to them"
In response to Reply # 0

not being rooted in present-day history

It is impossible to adhere to creeds and assert with any reason that a belief system whose origins date back thousands of years is based on fundamental historical truths of those who believe in and live by that religion...when so much of that relgion can't be supported via history then ppl accept things based on faith and empty rhetoric.

grassrootsphilosopher

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 02:34 PM

9. "I think a little bit, but I'm more in the God of the Gaps camp"
In response to Reply # 0

People will make up answers to shit they don't understand way more often than they'll just admit they don't know something. I see examples of this every day, no reason for me to think that the bulk of humanity hasnt always been like this.

zaire
Member since Aug 17th 2003
2533 posts
Sat Feb-14-15 05:08 PM

10. "They're all grown up fairy tales we're not allowed to ridicule "
In response to Reply # 9

hell, we've seen the rise and fall of religions and still give them too much influence on real life

i cant wait until this is over with, the race will benefit

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 09:46 AM

12. "Bigfoot is more likely to exist than the Christian/Jewish/Muslim God"
In response to Reply # 10

but it's totally okay to ridicule Bigfoot believers

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 11:12 AM

13. "Why can't they both exist?"
In response to Reply # 12
Sun Feb-15-15 11:13 AM by Atillah Moor

I mean if there is a Bigfoot then there is possibly a Loch Ness, and so on.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

zaire
2533 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 01:54 PM

15. "Because people don't fight wars over Bigfoot"
In response to Reply # 13

and this question you pose exposes the weakness of thought religion brings time again.

We have better things to ponder than why can't we believe in bigfoot and divine vampires, wouldn't you agree

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 01:59 PM

16. "Bigfoot didn't spawn amazing art and philosophy."
In response to Reply # 15

I swear you people act like religion only brings war and intolerance to people, when in fact it has also been responsible for some of humanity's greatest achievements.

Religion got people to think about big ideas and ponder the universe.

I'm sure you can argue that we don't need religion to do that now, but I hate when people conveniently leave out the other ways that religion builds and influences culture.

Regardless of how much it benefits the elites, if religion didn't offer something else to society at large it wouldn't have sustained itself for so long.

There are things to be gained out of reading the Holy Texts of the worlds major religions. The Vedic texts, the Quran, the Bible, etc. All of them contain beautiful poetry and philosophical thoughts worth pondering, not to mention their value to the field of anthropology.

zaire
2533 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 06:21 PM

20. "Yes, that trumps the death, war and destruction, doesn't it."
In response to Reply # 16

you're a hit dog

no one said religion didn't spark art and philosophy

and as far as the philosophy, how far does it go before it breaks right back down to its roots of fearful & rich men

hitler , the so called 'atheist's sparked a lot of art & religion as well, and this takes your argument where again

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:33 AM

22. "It must be so fun to live in that simple little mind of yours."
In response to Reply # 20
Mon Feb-16-15 04:36 AM by Lardlad95

>no one said religion didn't spark art and philosophy

No, people like you just ignore the positive contributions religion has had because it makes you uncomfortable to admit that there is more to religion than fairy tales and manipulation. It's much easier to make the world black and white...you know like a zealot.

>and as far as the philosophy, how far does it go before it
>breaks right back down to its roots of fearful & rich men

You could say the same shit about a bunch aspects of civilization. If your threshold for something being of no worth to humanity is it being used by the rich and powerful to control society you aren't going to be left with much.

We start wars for a variety of reason, and most of them aren't also connected to amazing advancements in architecture and scholarship.

>hitler , the so called 'atheist's sparked a lot of art &
>religion as well, and this takes your argument where again

He sparked as much as the Abrahamic religions, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc? He's responsible for changing European music, architecture, and scholarship? Really? Man shut the entire fuck up. That was the dumbest fucking reach of all time. Once again, it must be real fun to not have to pay attention to context since you see the world in such simple terms.

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 12:00 PM

27. "Its very fun indeed, all that writing and you say nothing lol"
In response to Reply # 22

which is pretty much the protocol a moron like yourself is a slave to.

sorry, I don't speak coward, but continue to live in your deluded, cowardly fairy tale world lol

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 01:04 PM

33. "So...you just admitted to being simple."
In response to Reply # 27

Glad we agree.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 04:01 PM

17. "Religious leaders conspired to kill Jesus"
In response to Reply # 15

So when people say religion is the problem it really sounds like they're just supporting what the new testament has been saying for centuries and the entire work that is the bible certainly claims we live in an awe inspiring world.

Humans don't fight because of religion-- they fight because they're human.

zaire
2533 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 06:18 PM

19. "And you put this all on a book that is 'the word of god'"
In response to Reply # 17

the root of your argument lies on a book of lies love, thats not my fault

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:51 AM

24. "Treat thy neighbor as thy self is a lie?"
In response to Reply # 19
Mon Feb-16-15 04:51 AM by Lardlad95

Yeah there's some weird shit in there that doesn't apply to our world or that seems harsh or backwards....but you can't genuinely believe it is worthless?

Its value as a foundational text for the western canon or as an anthropological tome regarding the Jewish people alone make it valuable.

I don't don't understand how you can write this type of stuff off wholesale. I mean at their very basic myths are still fun to read. They still can act as fables and parables right?

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 12:02 PM

28. "but they are fables lol, why are you scared to fully admit it?"
In response to Reply # 24

oh, I know why

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 12:59 PM

31. "Goddamn you're dumb!"
In response to Reply # 28

You seem new. I'm not a truly believer, dipshit. I'm just not one of those asshole atheists who sees the world in black and white. Religion is part of our past and present. If you think it's been all bad then you're being juvenile. Yeah, we should keep creationism out of school. So fuck choral music and the sistine chapel right? Fuck St. Martin de Pores and the shit they do for poor people right? There's never been a member of the cloth that actually used their religious philosophy to advocate for egalitarian change.

A few muslims blow themselves up, so fuck the majority of muslims who use mosques for centers of community and respite. They're worshipping a fake god, ergo all the other shit that goes along with being part of that community is null and void.

You're either twelve or a recovering catholic. Either way, get the fuck over it.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 01:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
34. "My money's on Recovering Catholic."
In response to Reply # 31

And he's not new. He's a one-issue lurker who only de-lurks to do his evangelical atheist thing. I had a similar argument with him in the past. He's best left alone.

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 01:09 PM

35. "how is it they never see the irony of evangelical atheism?"
In response to Reply # 34

I mean, if what you say is true he's proselytizing for atheism...which is fucking weird. It's not like he's going around advocating for science and reason, he's preaching the negation of of a religious system.

It'd be funny if it weren't so damn annoying.

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 01:13 PM

36. "You would know, sweetheart lol"
In response to Reply # 34

I remember you backpeddling just as this moron is

but continue your cheerleading ma'am

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 03:37 PM

37. "^^^^This fucknugget doesn't even know what back pedaling means."
In response to Reply # 36

For someone who hates imaginary beings you sure love imaginary arguments.

At no point did I say I believed in this stuff. You just assumed I did because you have the cognitive skills of a fucking 9 year old.

I mean really, are you so intent about having christians to argue with that you have to pretend that everyone who isn't a rabid ignoramous like yourself is a fundamentalist?

Please, please tell me where I claimed to be a Christian? Please point out where I said that these stories where anything other than myths or possibly mythologized stories about pre-literate tribal heroes or leaders.

And since I know you aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer, no that second statement doesn't indicate belief in mythological figures it's an acknowledgement that early societies venerated their leaders. In example, when North Germanic societies were becoming literate they wrote sagas about heroes whose historiography isn't entirely reliable, but who are connected and related to subjects for whom we have more concrete evidence. Go look up the Great Heathen Army.

So there is your challenge. To actually prove that I backpedaled. I'll wait.

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:26 PM

38. "lol"
In response to Reply # 37
Mon Feb-16-15 04:27 PM by zaire

>>>I'm not a truly believer

just a coward sittin on a fence lol

i might be a dipshit, but I dont write long paragraphs defending ancient stories that people that any learned adult wouldnt.

maybe you should just stop being scared and just go to church, they agree with your argument

wanna talk about angels and talking snakes being real? lol

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:32 PM

39. "you might wanna read some anthropology"
In response to Reply # 38

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:35 PM

40. "would that clear up zombie jesus & ppl living in whales, love"
In response to Reply # 39

im glad you chimed in tho

kayru99
16105 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:42 PM

41. "it would help you to not be ignorant"
In response to Reply # 40

I'm assuming you've never been exposed to some other ways of thinking about humans and religion.

that's cool.

Other people have.

There's a ton of nuance in the topic that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not anybody in the discussion is a "believer" or not.

you're being basic as fuck, and its a bad look.

I don't even rock with this dude too tough, cuz he's a lil bit narrow in his approach but check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1577315936/?tag=lifsrhy-20

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:47 PM

42. "and you're adorable. doesnt mean you're too bright tho"
In response to Reply # 41

ignorant to nuances huh lol

ill take that

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:48 PM

43. "What do you get out of being a troll? Seriously?"
In response to Reply # 40
Mon Feb-16-15 04:59 PM by Lardlad95

Dude said that the development of religion is important to the field of anthropology...a science. And you replied with nonsense.

You called me a fence sitter even though I never said I believe in any types of religious stories or myths as factual historical accounts.

Seriously man. You know how this looks right? You're the reason everyone hates the internet. You're the piece of shit on youtube causing shit for no reason.

What do you get out of this? You don't have other shit to do?

I mean if you genuinely hate Christians you know you aren't offending me since I'm not a christian right? I'm not a "theist" so what am I sitting on the fence of?

Who hurt you? What caused you to think that antagonizing people online was a good way to get attention? Do you lack self esteem and you think that getting people to reply to you in frustrated or angry fashion gives you some type of control?

Whatever it is, everyone sees it for what it is. You aren't a rebel. You're that kid who acts tough because they think it's cool when everyone really pities you.

Edit: By the way. Anthropology would explain people living in whales, since anthropologists and linguists would consider why someone woukd write that story, what audience was it intended for, and why "Being inside a great fish" might have been an idiom of the time and not a story to be taken literally. But you don't believe in anthropology so I guess that doesn't matter to you.

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:57 PM

45. "I like laughing at nonsense thats all"
In response to Reply # 43

like if any moron couldnt understand the relationship of humanity and religion lol.

The other cheerleader even offered a book that explaining this elementary shit & she doesnt even fuck with the author, so why bother

Sorry if you amuses me, you asked a question on a message board and said the internet hates me because I answered lol. Its 201, chill out homie

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 05:04 PM

48. "You lost hard bitch. Get a new hobby you suck at trolling you fucking lo..."
In response to Reply # 45

Go ahead and respond. The evidence speaks for itself.

Oh and you might want to look up evidence. For someone who *chuckle* claims to be against religion and superstition you don't understand the basics of how to construct a logical argument.

Go play in traffic and spare everyone else your corny ass behavior.

N/M

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 05:10 PM

50. "i guess i did lol"
In response to Reply # 48

Good job

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 05:14 PM

51. "No, that was easy. You're just bad at this. One of the worst I've ever s..."
In response to Reply # 50
Mon Feb-16-15 05:15 PM by Lardlad95

Really. If you're on the side of science, the best thing you could do is making sandwiches for some hungry astronomers because you couldn't coach a middle school debate team.

Pardon, the expression but jesus fucking christ that was some sorry shit.

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 05:21 PM

52. "now that just hurts"
In response to Reply # 51

Such a stinging insult lol

And your sooooo smart too

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 05:23 PM

53. "http://i.imgur.com/aZG3LCT.gif"
In response to Reply # 52

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 05:30 PM

54. "Lmao...I was done. I was...but I just clicked that link. Lmao..."
In response to Reply # 45

Did you just write off Joseph Campbell? Really?

Man I'm glad I didn't have to go to work today. This was incredible.

kayru99
16105 posts
Tue Feb-17-15 12:03 AM

55. "lol. yup"
In response to Reply # 54

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:55 PM

44. "RE: lol"
In response to Reply # 38

>i might be a dipshit, but I dont write long paragraphs
>defending ancient stories that people that any learned adult
>wouldnt.
>

Except there are thousands of learned adults who do write long paragraphs about those stories. Some write books. And some of them, a lot of them don't believe that snakes can talk or that eating apples make you cursed.

But you know that. You just want to argue.

I'll ask you again. What do you get out of arguing just to argue?

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:58 PM

46. "Millions believe in those tales sweetie"
In response to Reply # 44

and most of the science world doesnt

have fun with your book club tho, Im sure its fascinating reading lol

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 05:00 PM

47. "millions believe in those fairy tales tho, to the word lol"
In response to Reply # 44

and most of the science world doesnt

have fun with your book club tho, Im sure its fascinating reading lol

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 05:07 PM

49. "http://i.imgur.com/aZG3LCT.gif"
In response to Reply # 47
Mon Feb-16-15 05:09 PM by Lardlad95

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 07:29 AM

26. "Belief in a God != religion"
In response to Reply # 19

A lot of folks seem to make the mistake of believing the two are interchangeable.

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 12:05 PM

29. "Bruh, you were just quoting a coloring book for adults."
In response to Reply # 26

Hence you give some credence to the bible, as if it were true

I aint the one that can't distinguish, I'm not bound by the fear gods instill in y'all, sorry lol

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 04:40 PM

18. "^^^I think this. Illuminati is an example of this for me. "
In response to Reply # 9

I don't think there is a group controlling the world even in hyperbole. I do think its a easy way to understand how the world works with players you are familiar with.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:59 AM

25. "This is how I explained it to a student once."
In response to Reply # 18

If there really were a secret organization that controlled the world, why would they be so careless as to let a 13 year old girl in Newark NJ stumble on to their plans?

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 08:47 AM

11. " I tend to think they're all related and pre flood stories"
In response to Reply # 0

Gilgamesh and Hercules could be the same account for example. The Norse, Egyptian, Greek, and Indian gods are the same beings just tailored to that specific culture.

The Dead Sea scrolls and the book of Genesis seem to suggest that these other gods and Demi gods are actually the devil's fallen comrades and they largely destroyed themselves in a civil war e.g. Clash of the titans or ragnarok. The Vedas have a similar story as well.

kayru99
16105 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 12:21 PM

14. "i think that's part of it"
In response to Reply # 0

but then, there are soo many similarities between the faiths/stories/legends/myths across time and geography, I think there's more to it than ancestor worship.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Sun Feb-15-15 10:36 PM

21. "Somebody learned a new word.. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Today is your day to have a better life -- it's your right."

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 04:41 AM

23. "You haven't proven yourself to be someone who debates in good faith."
In response to Reply # 21
Mon Feb-16-15 04:44 AM by Lardlad95

I don't mean to say that to insult you, just that I think the way you go about this board unfortunate. You're like Sowhat but with religion.

I really hope you didn't come in here just to talk shit or be an asshole, because that seems counterproductive to what you claim to want to do.

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 12:08 PM

30. "Disagree. You two morons are perfect for each other"
In response to Reply # 23

specially with Case's obvious obsession with men

that and your naiveté compliment each other very well

#David&Jonathan awww

Lardlad95
66340 posts
Mon Feb-16-15 01:03 PM

32. "Mommy and daddy made you wear that itchy suit to church huh?"
In response to Reply # 30

Still bitter? Still mad they made you turn off the nintendo and go to church?

It's okay sport.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Feb-17-15 12:07 AM

56. "LOL.. My obvious obsession with men? HAHAHA! Really?"
In response to Reply # 30

>specially with Case's obvious obsession with men
>
>
>that and your naiveté compliment each other very well
>
>
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"Today is your day to have a better life -- it's your right."

Lobby General Discussion topic #12727488 Previous topic | Next topic