Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12726906

Subject: "Bad Kaarma: Montana man sentenced to 70 years. (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 12:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bad Kaarma: Montana man sentenced to 70 years. (swipe)"

http://news.yahoo.com/montana-man-killed-german-student-set-sentencing-065431013.html

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) — A Montana homeowner was sentenced Thursday to 70 years in prison, with no parole for at least 20 years, in the shotgun killing of a German exchange student who was trespassing in his garage.

District Judge Ed McLean said Markus Kaarma was hunting, not safeguarding his home when he shot 17-year-old Diren Dede early one April morning.

"Here you have a 12-gauge shotgun, not to protect your family but to go after someone," the judge told Kaarma. "And go after someone you did."

A Missoula jury convicted Kaarma, 30, of deliberate homicide in the case that caused an outcry in Germany and brought scrutiny to Montana's law allowing the use of deadly force in some situations to protect home and family. Kaarma faced between 10 to 100 years in prison.

He shot Dede, who was unarmed, after being alerted by motion sensors in his garage. Witnesses said Kaarma fired at the teen four times, striking him twice.

Dede's father, Celal Dede, said of the sentence: "It is justice. I am not happy. My son is dead."

He and his wife attended the entire trial, and he flew back from Germany for Thursday's hearing.

Kaarma sat staring down during much of the proceeding, occasionally glancing around the crowded courtroom. He sported buzz-cut, dark hair and an orange jail suit.

"I'm sorry my actions caused the death of Mr. Dede," Kaarma told the judge.

Before handing down the sentence, McLean heard testimony from Kaarma's girlfriend, a detective, the teen's host parents in Missoula and others.

Kaarma's mother, Chong Kaarma, pleaded for leniency for the sake of her grandson, asking the judge to let the boy have his father as soon as possible.

She apologized to Celal Dede from the stand. He replied from his front-row seat: "Why did you wait? Too late."

Kaarma's girlfriend, Janelle Pflager, testified she has received death threats against her 19-month-old son with and Kaarma. She called Kaarma the "single-most misunderstood person I have ever met."

"He didn't want to kill anyone," she said. "He only wanted to make sure he and myself and son were alive at the end."

Missoula County Attorney Karla Painter later asked Pflager if she said during a phone call with Kaarma in jail that she and Kaarma wouldn't pay for the Dedes' "dirty rat son" to be sent back to Germany for burial.

Pflager said she didn't recall saying that.

ol girl called him a dirty rat son on a jail phone. smh...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Was wondering why he was charged, then I saw Kaarma's pic.
Feb 13th 2015
you thought you were a Montana Redneck too?
Feb 13th 2015
uh, maybe save that for a guy who doesnt tell ppl he wants to kill someo...
Feb 13th 2015
      No I think ill use it right here, white boy.
Feb 13th 2015
teen was obviously a thief
Feb 13th 2015
He was Turkish though
Feb 13th 2015
      Kaarma looks 30+... 70 is life unless there is a miracle.
Feb 13th 2015
           here you pretty much automatically serve half.
Feb 13th 2015
As soon as I saw the name Kaarma, I had wondered if dude was another rac...
Feb 13th 2015
      yep, I bet his boys told him to set up that trap
Feb 13th 2015
He would have got much less time if he even feigned remorse/sadness
Feb 13th 2015

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 01:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Was wondering why he was charged, then I saw Kaarma's pic."
In response to Reply # 0

He looks Asian. I *knew* it had to be a catch.

And why the fuck was that teen in his garage?

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 01:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "you thought you were a Montana Redneck too?"
In response to Reply # 1

With your shotgun and your hunting license, and your right to protect your property.

NOPE!

They showed your ass real quick.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35246 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 03:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "uh, maybe save that for a guy who doesnt tell ppl he wants to kill someo..."
In response to Reply # 2

Then shoots an unarmed teenager 4 times

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 03:48 PM

9. "No I think ill use it right here, white boy."
In response to Reply # 7

Since the American Justice System has had a number of incidents in just the past 36 months where a white person was able to break laws, not comply with direction, and kill someone - all in the name of protecting himself.

I never once said what Kaarma did was okay. I said he thought he was one of them and quickly found out he wasnt.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 01:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "teen was obviously a thief"
In response to Reply # 1

the problem is Kaarma went around telling people he was setting a trap and wanted to catch a body.

The real story tho is this dude thought he was one of then and could kill a white person and get away with it.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 02:54 PM

4. "He was Turkish though "
In response to Reply # 3

Would have been life if dude was straight up father land. I like the Dad's response though-- "too damn late".

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 03:00 PM

5. "Kaarma looks 30+... 70 is life unless there is a miracle. "
In response to Reply # 4

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 04:42 PM

11. "here you pretty much automatically serve half."
In response to Reply # 5

so that would be 35....

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 03:31 PM

6. "As soon as I saw the name Kaarma, I had wondered if dude was another rac..."
In response to Reply # 1

He got a little too comfortable with his good ol' boys friends and thought he was one of them. The fact that it's known that he said he was gonna set a trap suggests that someone he knew had snitched. He found out real quick he ain't one of the good ol' boys after all.

Since 1976

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 04:01 PM

10. "yep, I bet his boys told him to set up that trap"
In response to Reply # 6

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 03:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "He would have got much less time if he even feigned remorse/sadness"
In response to Reply # 0

They monitored his jail phone calls with his girlfriend where he was pretty much proud of what he did.

The victim's family was trying to get money to send him back to Germany to be buried, and he said something like "I'm not going to pay to send that scum home"

Judge took that into account when coming up with the sentence

Lobby General Discussion topic #12726906 Previous topic | Next topic