Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12726572

Subject: "Money Talk - where do you stand?" Previous topic | Next topic
TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 07:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Money Talk - where do you stand?"

Just had an interesting cultural clash between my boss and an Aussie colleague... boss had been on the phone to the tax office about a rebate in the break area and numbers were apparently overheard by the Aussie who then jokingly used them in a mail to the whole team (25ish people) to get the boss to buy beers this evening.

To me, any financial info is private - I don't even tell colleagues and especially not friends what I earn, how much my house is worth or what I'm invested in... that's for me, my partner, my accountant and at a really long shot, maybe my parents.

But it's created a conversation as dude still maintains everyone knowing the size of his rebate is harmless... which it probably is... it just seems, I dunno... disrespectful?

))<>((
forever.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I wouldn't share somebody else's info.
Feb 13th 2015
I don't discuss salary or savings, but if you're a friend
Feb 13th 2015
thats pretty much all i DO give a fuck or do talk abt.
Feb 13th 2015
one of those cultural things that gives an advantage to corporations
Feb 13th 2015
I'm all for salary transparency WITHIN AN ORGANIZATION
Feb 13th 2015
i've worked in govt settings where our salaries are public info.
Feb 13th 2015
volunteering infor? no but if you ask no problem talking
Feb 13th 2015

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 08:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I wouldn't share somebody else's info."
In response to Reply # 0

but don't really have any issue sharing mine. I understand it can make work situations awkward at time, so I'll only let out certain info to a couple of people I trust.

otherwise, its not a big deal to me if you know how much my house/car costs. its just numbers. shouldn't be a value judgement of a person.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 09:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I don't discuss salary or savings, but if you're a friend"
In response to Reply # 0

or considering moving into my neighborhood or city, I have no problem telling what I paid for rent or what my house cost.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 09:21 AM

3. "thats pretty much all i DO give a fuck or do talk abt."
In response to Reply # 0

my money, your money, what it costs, what its worth, how much im making, how i can make more, how to keep what i got, etc

if you make more then me, idgaf i wanna hear how you doing it so maybe i can adapt some shit to my life & make more too

if you making less then me, idgaf, the principles the same & if YOU feel salty or some kinda way thats your problem not mine

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 09:28 AM

4. "one of those cultural things that gives an advantage to corporations "
In response to Reply # 0

imagine if there was salary transparency at your job
yea you may be upset if you find out the dude asking you for help all the time makes 25k more than you.....
but at least then you could do something about it
like it's crazy that i have no idea how much my parents make or what they have saved
i have an *idea* due to profession and material things, but you never really know
they could already have millions saved/invested or be teetering on bankruptcy
kind of crazy when you think about it

~~~~~~

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 09:29 AM

5. "I'm all for salary transparency WITHIN AN ORGANIZATION"
In response to Reply # 4

nobody else needs to know

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 09:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "i've worked in govt settings where our salaries are public info."
In response to Reply # 0

i could've easily discovered the salaries of all of my coworkers and superiors if i'd just looked for the info - it was on the Internet. i did look once w/several of my coworkers and we talked about it and laughed and that was that. we were shocked that some of the folks who'd been there for dozens of yrs were making more than our superior. but them's the breaks.

it wasn't a big deal at all.

fuck you.

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Fri Feb-13-15 09:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "volunteering infor? no but if you ask no problem talking"
In response to Reply # 0

its great to talk to like minded peope about private affairs to learn and network

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Lobby General Discussion topic #12726572 Previous topic | Next topic