Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12726393

Subject: "Office 101: What part of the game is begging folks to do their jobs?" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85002 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 07:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Office 101: What part of the game is begging folks to do their jobs?"

I guess this is some Office 101 shit i still haven't picked up but i largely blame it on shitty coworkers. but i found out today that folks are kind of salty about what they perceive as me being demanding.

context: im really only supposed to be doing sales. but because so many folks either have bad attitudes or are lazy as shit i end up doing the rest of their jobs too cause it's the best way to make sure shit gets done. it wouldn't have to be that way if i could let my customers yell at them when they fuck up something for me. but i don't get to. so i have to be a bit hard on them and babysit them.

i'm not w/ asking folks to do their jobs and then they come back to me like "can you say please?" fuck no. if it was up to me i'd fire most of em anyway cause they don't do shit. funny thing is the people that run the show KNOW they don't do shit and all i get are empty promises that they'll address it soon.

and honestly i really don't mean it how they think i do. it's just more of a "hey add this to your list of shit to do and hook it up for at some point." and i even thank em when it's done. but i'm not asking someone to please do their job. and the fact that they feel some type away about it is why i only fuck w/ less than a handful of people outside the job.

am i wrong for being like that tho?

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
when u communicate w folks check urself in these ways
Feb 12th 2015
oh i have brought it up to mgmt. and they know
Feb 12th 2015
please is not a beg. it's polite.
Feb 12th 2015
it feels like a beg at work though unless i'm asking you to
Feb 12th 2015
      is it really hard to throw in a please, before or after whatever sentenc...
Feb 12th 2015
           i did laugh
Feb 12th 2015
manager or supervisor?
Feb 12th 2015
in name, neither. but the way the depts are set up
Feb 12th 2015
      It's what we do best
Feb 12th 2015

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 07:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "when u communicate w folks check urself in these ways"
In response to Reply # 0

is it true
is it direct
is it necessary
is it timely
is it kind

with these bases covered, i would step to a supervisor if the behavior consistently reoccurs in a way that impacts your ability to be effective

__

fairweather

BrooklynWHAT
85002 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 07:54 PM

4. "oh i have brought it up to mgmt. and they know"
In response to Reply # 1

>is it true
>is it direct
>is it necessary
>is it timely
>is it kind
>
>with these bases covered, i would step to a supervisor if the
>behavior consistently reoccurs in a way that impacts your
>ability to be effective

because i'm not the only one who has brought up the issue.
they just don't seem interested in fixing it.

like no matter how heavy my workload gets i rarely catch feelings when folks ask me to do things i don't want to do. unless they come at me reaaal direspectful. because it's work. so i expect the same out of people.

that's all.

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 07:41 PM

2. "please is not a beg. it's polite. "
In response to Reply # 0

BrooklynWHAT
85002 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 08:00 PM

6. "it feels like a beg at work though unless i'm asking you to "
In response to Reply # 2

do something for me that's above and beyond or rush. if it's your regular job function i feel like i shouldn't have to.

and if im wrong for that then i can try to do better.

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 08:27 PM

7. "is it really hard to throw in a please, before or after whatever sentenc..."
In response to Reply # 6

laugh at them for being so hell bent on a word.

i don't think it's too much to ask for that you be polite to your co-workers.

what kind of ego do you have where you feel like polite is similar to begging?

BrooklynWHAT
85002 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 09:17 PM

8. "i did laugh"
In response to Reply # 7

but only because of how funny it sounded.

i don't really like my job enough to get absorbed in my performance. but if i did it wouldnt be unjustified.

now that i know my straight up approach annoys them i guess i dress it up a bit for em. i didn't think adults complained about things like that as long as you came at em respectfully.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79349 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 07:52 PM

3. "manager or supervisor?"
In response to Reply # 0

my wife is always bitching about coworkers not working and I tell her she sounds annoying to work with.

is it reall this serious or are you are workaholic?

BrooklynWHAT
85002 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 07:58 PM

5. "in name, neither. but the way the depts are set up"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Feb-12-15 07:59 PM by BrooklynWHAT

sales directs the workday basically. and if we say something needs to get done then it's just going to have to get done. whether it's sales, production, warehouse or accounting.

honestly they complain about all the reps to varying degrees but i thought i was clear because i do make an effort to not come at them really disrespectful like i have seen other reps do. i've seen some reps bring support damn near to tears.

production is better about taking direction because they get it. "get this done" is their mode of operation.
accounting...i have given up on them lol. they do their own thing.

Abstract8
Member since Nov 01st 2007
681 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 09:21 PM

9. "It's what we do best"
In response to Reply # 5

>accounting...i have given up on them lol. they do their own
>thing.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12726393 Previous topic | Next topic