Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12725747

Subject: "Prepare to hear a lot soon that the Moynihan Report was right. " Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49402 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Prepare to hear a lot soon that the Moynihan Report was right. "
Thu Feb-12-15 10:54 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

The Moynihan Report turns 50 next month and a lot of people are proclaiming unequivocally that Moynihan Report was right that Black Culture is broken.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-weiner/daniel-patrick-moynihan_b_6651868.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/jason-l-riley-still-right-on-the-black-family-after-all-these-years-1423613625

For a more nuanced reading of the actual report which points a fair amount of the finger at structural impediments look here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/04/what-the-left-and-right-both-get-wrong-about-the-moynihan-report/360701/

I will also throw in a survey of books and studies that span the culturalist and structuralist debates.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/09/dont-like

I think the answer is that it's a mixture of both and those who insist it is wholly one or the other are ideologically bent or aren't thinking deeply about the issue.

I will also say that I am extremely annoyed by people who have spent absolutely no time in such environments thinking they are experts on the issue and think they have the solution. See Paul Ryan. I wish, just once, someone would ask Paul Ryan what is the basis for his belief that government is part of the problem and acts as a "hammock that lulls able-bodied people to lives of dependency and complacency, that drains them of their will and their incentive to make the most of their lives."

Anyway, I really wanted to talk about this subject of Culture vs. Institutional Racism because I was really surprised that Kendrick Lamar would catch heat from people for just bringing up Black on Black crime in that new track. I found that reaction...weird. Coon label being tossed around alot these days.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah I been seeing it
Feb 12th 2015
RE: Prepare to hear a lot soon that the Moynihan Report was right.
Feb 12th 2015
Well I wanted to talk about the much larger issue of Culture Vs. Racism
Feb 12th 2015
      Musa and Boogie and Attilla are just going one up err'body and
Feb 12th 2015
Skimmed the Atlantic piece. Interesting stuff in there
Feb 12th 2015
it was a prescription for policy to produce the intended results.
Feb 12th 2015
contemporary manifest destiny
Feb 12th 2015
this
Feb 12th 2015
Feb 12th 2015
Do you think Moynihan had bad intent?
Feb 12th 2015
      culturally ingrained n/m
Feb 12th 2015

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 10:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yeah I been seeing it"
In response to Reply # 0

I think the separation of the two is the misnomer. But we're so culturally rooted in dualism, it's gotta be one way.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 10:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Prepare to hear a lot soon that the Moynihan Report was right. "
In response to Reply # 0

>
>
>Anyway, I really wanted to talk about this subject of Culture
>vs. Institutional Racism because I was really surprised that
>Kendrick Lamar would catch heat from people for just bringing
>up Black on Black crime in that new track. I found that
>reaction...weird.
>
>

wouldn't it be appropriate to go back to that massive Kendrick post about those statements to specify what was so weird about the OKP reaction?

Cause that was some reaction.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49402 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 11:00 AM

3. "Well I wanted to talk about the much larger issue of Culture Vs. Racism"
In response to Reply # 2

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 11:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Musa and Boogie and Attilla are just going one up err'body and "
In response to Reply # 3

say white supremacy messes up blacks from the start - before we do anything wrong or whatever.

That's it.

Chanson
Member since Nov 09th 2004
15000 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 11:01 AM

4. "Skimmed the Atlantic piece. Interesting stuff in there"
In response to Reply # 0

Good post.

mind
--------
matter

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 11:16 AM

6. "it was a prescription for policy to produce the intended results. "
In response to Reply # 0

i remember having to read that bullshit for aasp years ago and being livid.

THEY enacted policy that exacerbated problems or caused new ones where they did not previously exist.

fuck daniel patrick moniyhan (however the fuck you spell that).

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 11:22 AM

7. "contemporary manifest destiny"
In response to Reply # 6

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 11:42 AM

8. "this"
In response to Reply # 6

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 11:58 AM

9. "."
In response to Reply # 6

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49402 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 12:09 PM

10. "Do you think Moynihan had bad intent?"
In response to Reply # 6

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 12:10 PM

11. "culturally ingrained n/m"
In response to Reply # 10

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Lobby General Discussion topic #12725747 Previous topic | Next topic