Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12725432

Subject: "what's good, ppl? coming off a crazy 2 weeks. " Previous topic | Next topic
poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 06:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"what's good, ppl? coming off a crazy 2 weeks. "

axe me stuff or whatever.

- on wed (1/21), my son got stopped by cops in our neighborhood. won't rehash it all b/c i made a poast about it that i just upped, b/c the dude up on the next cul de sac just got raided for drugs.

- on saturday (1/24) my youngest daughter dislocated her kneecap during layup drills before one of her middle school bball games. (she came down on another girls foot at a crazy angle and her knee buckled. my wife and i came in 2 min after it happened. were wondering why the game wasn't ready to start and saw everyone gathered around and then saw our daughter in the middle of it all. (!!!) - going back to the 'do you pray after sports events' poast, i was thanking God all through the parking lot because even though she was badly hurt and it looked like her season was over, it could have been so much worse.

- on tuesday night, before heading out to my son's bball practice (i'm an assistant coach on his team and head coach on my middle daughter's jv/varsity girls team), we get a call from my wife's uncle. her grandmother just passed.

- on thursday night, we're at my other daughter's game. she sprains her ankle. she's the star of the team and by far the best player in her league. she sits out the whole 2nd qtr. she's not swollen, and goes back in for the 2nd half. we come back, but still lose. after we et home, her ankle swells all up. off to urgent care on friday morning. sprain. she's out for at least a week.

- we drive up to baltimore on the following monday with my youngest daughter on crutches, and my middle daughter w/ an ankle brace (we didn't have to keep her in the soft air cast thingy). up there for the wake on monday night, and the funeral on tuesday. it actually turns out well. service was very nice. and my brother in law actually does not bug out like he did at my mother in law's funeral a couple years ago. we drive home on wednesday afternoon, and are back in nc by the evening.

now we're back to our normal craziness. (2 games yesterday, w/ my girls at a local private school, and then my son at another private school around 1.5 hrs away. his game is delayed and we don't get home till after 10p).

my baby girl walking fine w/ just a brace and no crutches now and went through her second rehab session today. she will not be able to play in the regional championships next week, but MAY be able to play for the states, which is what she wants. and her team is prolly favored to win the states if she plays and is even 60% effective.

nice to exhale now.

i'm in the middle of two potentially big deals at work. still trying to pitch in on my son's business (and particularly get the marketing off the ground). and acting as webmaster of last resort. lotta stuff going down, which is kinda par for the course for us.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
parenting and sports= high blood pressure
Feb 11th 2015
for real for real. and COACHING == more blood pressure.
Feb 12th 2015
how was the adoption process?
Feb 12th 2015
great question. it was a tremendous blessing.
Feb 12th 2015
      yeah we good
Feb 12th 2015
Might've caught another case because reasons and have to...
Feb 12th 2015

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 11:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "parenting and sports= high blood pressure"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm glad the jedi is focusing on his instrument, because baseball had me on the path to being bad sportsdad (terrible coaching).

We finally got Syllabeye installed on his iPod...will send feedback and will definitely speak to his teachers about it when I get the opportunity.

When you said you were in Bmore for a funeral, I was wondering, because I just did a repast at a community space for someone's Grandmother yesterday. Ch____s?

------------------
One Hundred.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 03:46 PM

2. "for real for real. and COACHING == more blood pressure. "
In response to Reply # 1

>I'm glad the jedi is focusing on his instrument, because
>baseball had me on the path to being bad sportsdad (terrible
>coaching).

lol. i been mad at band directors, tho. mfers tryna say no clarinet in jazz band. ugh. don't get me started...

>We finally got Syllabeye installed on his iPod...will send
>feedback and will definitely speak to his teachers about it
>when I get the opportunity.

thanks so much. that's a huge help. we got some updates on deck to expand the utility of it. and just added an FAQ section to the website to address some typical problems and quirks.

making progress, albeit slowly.

>When you said you were in Bmore for a funeral, I was
>wondering, because I just did a repast at a community space
>for someone's Grandmother yesterday. Ch____s?

nah, we were there last week mon & tues. and her grandmother was the last surviving member of a church founded back in 1948 in a small black enclave in the county.

side note, i didn't know bethlehem steel was officially closed. whole lotta black wwII vets settled around there and worked there after the war, getting they fams up outta the deep south.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 04:08 PM

3. "how was the adoption process?"
In response to Reply # 0

it's something i think about all the time since i can't have another
like there are days were i dream about having a little girl, but then this boy is driving me mad and i'm like NUH UH!

my biggest hesitation is loving each child differently and unequally. and then also the cost, lol.

how was that for you and your wife?

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 04:49 PM

4. "great question. it was a tremendous blessing. "
In response to Reply # 3

i cannot add enough exclamation points to that statement. however, that is with (wow) many many years of experience. my baby girl is now 13. man. officially a teenager. we got her when she was 8 mos. so that's 12.5 yrs we've had her.

our youngest son is 16 (he'll be 17 in a couple months). we got him days before his 5th birthday. so that's 11 yrs.

our middle daughter just turned 15.

they have all overcome some pretty serious circumstances (physical, and emotional), and have made tremendous strides and are wonderful children. (well, young ppl).

but all the blessing talk aside, it can be HOARD up front. and pre-upfront, when you are going through the process.

>it's something i think about all the time since i can't have
>another
>like there are days were i dream about having a little girl,
>but then this boy is driving me mad and i'm like NUH UH!

hahaha. we joke all the time that if even oNE of our boys had been born first, he'd be an only child. our oldest daughter was the easiest baby possible.

>
>my biggest hesitation is loving each child differently and
>unequally. and then also the cost, lol.
>
>how was that for you and your wife?

this question brings up one of my favorite quotes from my wife. she shares it with other parents, other prospective adoptive or foster parents, and with our children:

"when we had just the one child, i was deeply worried. HOW could i ever love anyone or anything as much as i loved this baby girl? How could i possibly split my affection for another son or daughter? And the answer to that question came when (our next child) came. God gave me a completely new heart. with each child, i grew an entirely new heart dedicated entirely to THAT child."

i don't do it justice in the paraphrase. but in essence, while it seems impossible, your capacity to love will expand as far as you push it, enabling you to love each child fully and uniquely.

i don't want to gloss over it at all. there has been drama. long nights. tears. prayer. and repeat several times over. but it has been entirely worth it.

my youngest son is routinely praised by folks that come in contact with him for his character. at 4 yrs old, his birth mom was grooming him to be a drug dealer. he's interacting w/ prospective colleges and coaches now, handling much of his recruiting process. he's steering other kids in the neighborhood OUT of trouble. few years ago i had to hurt his feelings and redirect him from using social media for e-thugging. he's exhibiting an incredible amount of maturity and self-awareness for his age, adn seems to be 'getting it'.

his biological sister, our middle daughter, is improving academically. she's a whiz at bball, even better than her brother, compared to her peer group. but she still has some cognitive issues. but she was emotionally and, at least, physically abused, before she came to us a year after her brother. she would have tantrums where you would have to sit and hold her for an hr to keep her from striking someone else or herself. in the daycare she'd go to before we got her, they created a section just for her where she couldn't hurt other kids or the teachers. she done came a LOOOONG way. no one could look at her or interact with her or even guess at any of that in her background. she is a focused, hard working, and nurturing young lady who just calmly gets things done.

my baby girl was different in that she was abandoned in the hospital. premature, and went straight to foster care when she got out in 3 days. and was there until we got her at 8 mos. like the other two, she was also born cocaine positive. she would have these seizures and night fevers and we were told all of the things she wouldn't be able to do. you cannot tell ANY of that to look at her or talk with her. she is quick witted, athletic, quirky and delightful girl, who, one of the parents on her homeschool basketball team told me, recently, 'has never met a stranger'.

it is wild that it has been this long. and there are some family i don't quite kick it with as much any more, but we prayed that our family would be seamless and God has made it so. my dad recently said (after we went to nj for thanksgiving) about the kids that he had second thoughts when we made the decision (to foster and adopt) but that all of the kids were so smart and well-behaved and polite and everything else and that, if you weren't looking for any physical traits or height or anything, you would not be able to tell that they were not all ours by birth.

and that very statement is an answered prayer.

took how many years, especially early on, putting money in birthday cards, or taking it out, to make sure that they were all treated equitably, and that our extended family knew that that was a non-negotiable condition with us.

O_o

typical poetx long winded-ass answer.

but y'all good?

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 05:40 PM

6. "yeah we good"
In response to Reply # 4

like, i dream of giving him a sibling, but the biggest thing that gets me is that i want his sibling to look like us. i know that sounds dumb to people but when i look at my son, i see our love for each other reflected back, and that's such an amazing and sublime thing.

in some ways, i feel like i'm failing him by not giving him a sibling, because i'm an only child and i hated it! lol. his pappy got 50 million siblings, and i see how loving they are with each other and i want that for him.

this kid is so amazing man. he says some of the funniest shit ever. it's so crazy watching a personality develop, watching him make choices, both good and bad. sometimes i wish i could go into his brain and see what he's thinking because i feel like he lives in this magical and untainted world. what's that like? lol

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 05:34 PM

5. "Might've caught another case because reasons and have to..."
In response to Reply # 0

... prepare for a voluntary immediate relocation to parts unknown. What's a good way to travel and place to go to lay low for a few months/years?

Lobby General Discussion topic #12725432 Previous topic | Next topic