Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12723080

Subject: "Forgotten Lessons From a 1970s Fight Against Gentrification (DC)" Previous topic | Next topic
Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 10:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Forgotten Lessons From a 1970s Fight Against Gentrification (DC)"

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/02/forgotten-lessons-from-a-1970s-fight-against-gentrification/385212/

The Adams Morgan neighborhood in Washington, D.C., gets pretty crowded on weekends. If you walk down 18th Street at night, you have to dodge hoards of drunken 20-somethings between their second and third bar of the night. My friends from grad school lived on Calvert Street last year, in the top floor apartment of a beautiful row house—that is, until their landlord raised the rent and they couldn't afford it.

That wasn't a surprise. While pockets of Adams Morgan used to be known for crime, the area is now a fairly well-heeled part of town, with a median income of more than $61,000—too high even to be "eligible for gentrification," according to a recent Census tract analysis. The rents, as my grad school friends sadly know, reflect the changing times.

But there was a time when Adams Morgan battled the most unjust aspects of displacement with strong community activism—and, briefly, won. One chapter from its storied past shows how some of its residents fought to keep and stay in their homes in the 1970s. Their ultimately fleeting victory nevertheless had long-term ramifications in the changing urban landscape in D.C., and offers lessons for taming rising rents all over the country.

CONTINUED IN ARTICLE...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
America is amazing at forgetting lessons.
Feb 10th 2015
we LOVE to conveniently forget
Feb 10th 2015
TV plays a HUGE part in this
Feb 10th 2015
I've always wondered why there was no Metro stop in Adams Morgan
Feb 10th 2015
U Street/Cardozo was the closest one. Then there's that gap...
Feb 10th 2015
      It's a little different with Adams Morgan, since
Feb 10th 2015
           I'm told there was a time when Georgetown was, too.
Feb 10th 2015
                I've never heard this. Interesting
Feb 10th 2015
                     Friend of my wife's told me. She...
Feb 10th 2015

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 10:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "America is amazing at forgetting lessons."
In response to Reply # 0

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 10:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "we LOVE to conveniently forget"
In response to Reply # 1

absolutely love it
its a national pasttime
the Germans had it correct
back it up with law
people dont forget as easily
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 10:45 AM

5. "TV plays a HUGE part in this"
In response to Reply # 1

>

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 10:31 AM

2. "I've always wondered why there was no Metro stop in Adams Morgan"
In response to Reply # 0

I suspect that it may have been an intentional omission an an attempt to push poor minorities out of the neighborhood. The only other "important" DC neighborhood without a train is lily-white Georgetown.

Mongo
45670 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 10:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "U Street/Cardozo was the closest one. Then there's that gap..."
In response to Reply # 2

...of no coverage til you hit Dupont Circle.

Georgetown is similarly isolated, although they put those Circulator buses for rapid transit in as a stopgap.

It's no different than Riverdale or Fieldstone or City Island -- they preserve the 'local flavor' by reducing transit options for the unwanted.

John Forte
15361 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 10:48 AM

6. "It's a little different with Adams Morgan, since "
In response to Reply # 4

"the unwanted" were already there.

Mongo
45670 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 11:26 AM

7. "I'm told there was a time when Georgetown was, too. "
In response to Reply # 6

But that's a mixed message as far as I can tell.

John Forte
15361 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 04:22 PM

8. "I've never heard this. Interesting"
In response to Reply # 7

Mongo
45670 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 04:29 PM

9. "Friend of my wife's told me. She..."
In response to Reply # 8

...was from Alexandria, and said she still had (Black, middle class) family in Georgetown along Q and P Street as late as 1992. Apparently there were quite a few off in the cut, most of whom moved to PG County by the late 90s.

I really only knew Georgetown in relation to the waterfront, movie theatre, Wisconsin Avenue, Dumbarton (Red Planet Comics), and M Street, so I have no idea how real it is.

But she was pretty insistent.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12723080 Previous topic | Next topic