Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12722083

Subject: "I wonder if Martin Luther and Malcolm X could have been bought?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 11:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I wonder if Martin Luther and Malcolm X could have been bought?"

I have been thinking lately that 50s and 60s radicals, revolutionaries and agents of change were so successful because their really wasn't any other better choice but to fight for systematic change. That is their lives, livelihoods, the well being of their children all depended on changing the system and making it a better place for everyone.

But what if there were today's money at stake? What if Malcolm X could have been offered a cushy extremely lucrative job at MSNBC hosting a daily show?

What if Martin Luther King had access to forming a mega-church that was earning millions in tithings weekly. I understand that MLK's family was reasonably relatively well to do but they weren't nearly rolling in the dough of a Joel Osteen.

This Capitalistic American System has evolved into a system that is so amazing in it's ability to co-opt disruptive forces, sanitize that force and actually incorporate that force into the system into a way that it not only no longer disrupts the system but actually augments the system.

Look at rap music. Probably one of the most disruptive forces in american society in the last 40 years. N.W.A., Ice T, Public Enemy actually sparked government hearings and government surveillance. 40 years it's as family friendly and sanitized as an Asian kid where a Nas T-Shirt on an ABC Family TV Show. It's Iggy Azealia winning grammys. It's the former drug dealer turned Mogul and capitalist icon who has absolutely no interest in upsetting the current apple cart which puts so much money in his pocket.

And you can dismiss Jay-Z as just a rapper and shouldn't be looked to lead any sort of change but the fact of the matter is Sidney Poiter and Harry Belafonte were leaders of change in the 60s who used their visibility to leverage the cause. I wonder though if they would have done so if they were making 20 Million a picture?

Wouldn't Will Smith and Denzel have to be a little nutty to throw all that money away to change the system that personally benefits them so much?

Martin, Malcolm, Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poiter, et. al were agitating for change that theoretically would have improved their lives and the lives of their family in addition to the race as a whole.

That would not be the deal for wealthiest, most powerful Black people today. Any change to the current system would probably result in great personal sacrifice on their part. It may be that I am cynical but it's not surprise to me that their not willing to do it.

Which kind of explains why Islamic fundamentalist are the most visible and vocal group who want to tear the current system down. They definitely don't have much stake in the current system.

Seems like if we learned anything in the last 100 years about how to deal with disruptive forces it seems we should be offering them jobs, tv shows, record deals if we want them to behave like good little global citizens.

Anyway, that's just what I woke up thinking about this morning.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
could you?
Feb 09th 2015
I am pretty sure I partially have already.
Feb 09th 2015
      Let me give an example.
Feb 09th 2015
      RE: Let me give an example.
Feb 09th 2015
           Fair point. I guess I was specifically talking to this particular set o...
Feb 09th 2015
      I mean...
Feb 09th 2015
I believe Malcolm could've been bought off moreso than King
Feb 09th 2015
I doubt it's about integrity. I don't mean to call either's integrity
Feb 09th 2015
I have a hard time thinking King would've have given up his
Feb 09th 2015
no
Feb 10th 2015
If they were gotten to early enough they probably could have been
Feb 09th 2015
martin gave every dime he earned to the movement
Feb 09th 2015
My point is that it wasn't alot of dime at stake.
Feb 09th 2015
A. Philip Randolph turned down a million dollars from the Pullman Compan...
Feb 09th 2015
Good points. Well appreciated.
Feb 09th 2015
They were 39 when they were assassinated
Feb 09th 2015
everyone can be bought
Feb 09th 2015
Like Dave Chappelle?
Feb 09th 2015
      Dave did a couple of seasons before he walked so if he wasn't bought
Feb 09th 2015
      Well I think he was doing it his way at the beginning, when they
Feb 09th 2015
      he signed the check
Feb 10th 2015
           But did he follow through?
Feb 10th 2015
If they could have been bought they wouldn't have been shot
Feb 09th 2015
good point.
Feb 09th 2015
Bobby Seale is still alive
Feb 09th 2015
I read Elaine Brown's bio a while ago. She said that ninja was a clown.
Feb 09th 2015
FUCK NO... they died for a reason.
Feb 09th 2015
realistically? no. but hypothetically martin moreso than malcolm
Feb 09th 2015
are you saying like Jackson,Sharpton and Farrikhan??
Feb 10th 2015
If they could've been bought, they wouldn't have been killed
Feb 10th 2015

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 11:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "could you?"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 12:35 PM

4. "I am pretty sure I partially have already. "
In response to Reply # 1

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 01:07 PM

8. "Let me give an example. "
In response to Reply # 4

Let me give an example.

There are two public schools in my nabe. One has a literacy and math competency level of 95%. This is a mostly white school. Just a few blocks away is school with a competency level of 15%. This is a mostly brown and black school (This is possible because we live in one of the only countries in the modern world that has a system design to spend more public money on rich kids children then poor kids children).

Now the way to improve schools for the most kids dictates that you mix up the two schools so that they both are around 60% competency. Which while relatively simple to do will never happen. No folks want their kids to be guinea pigs in that experiment.

So what am I going to do? Lead a group of parents to enroll in the 15% school and demand resources for that school?

Nah, I will probably opt out that system and send my kids to private school if I can afford it.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 01:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "RE: Let me give an example. "
In response to Reply # 8

> Now the way to improve schools for the most kids dictates
>that you mix up the two schools so that they both are around
>60% competency. Which while relatively simple to do will never
>happen. No folks want their kids to be guinea pigs in that
>experiment.
>

This was done in the 70's (busing).

I'm saying it's strange you didn't acknowledge busing did occur at one point in history.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 02:29 PM

14. "Fair point. I guess I was specifically talking to this particular set o..."
In response to Reply # 9

Bussing of course did happen but will not happen with these two sets of schools (probably because of how the bussing experiment panned out).

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 02:43 PM

18. "I mean..."
In response to Reply # 4

killing martin and malcolm helped make the buyout more feasible. and not on some under the table shit. straight up and up. it instilled the fear of death which made settling a more attractive option. there were a lot of folk at that time that were bought out. some still reaping the benefits today. but you probably wouldn't be in the position to even consider it had that history happened. same for x and mlk.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 12:10 PM

2. "I believe Malcolm could've been bought off moreso than King"
In response to Reply # 0

grassrootsphilosopher

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 12:48 PM

6. " I doubt it's about integrity. I don't mean to call either's integrity"
In response to Reply # 2

into question. Capitalism's other great achievement is turning our participation in the system into microagressions that barely represent as furthering the machine.

We all deplore sweatshops but buy nikes and apple products.

We deplore social inequality but shop at Wal-mart.

Even the most granola okayplayer of us can't help but contribute to the system unless we are living in the woods like the unabomber.

Even on the higher level no one would approach MLK and say here is 100M, please betray your people.

It won't necessarily look like a betrayal at all. It will be speaking out about social inequality, but for 100K speaker fees and doing the talk show circuit. It's doing a talk show on MSNBC.

The System co-opts the dissenting voice into a well paid gig and a permanent feature of the System. And outlet that doesn't really do harm or change the system.

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 02:13 PM

10. "I have a hard time thinking King would've have given up his"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Feb-09-15 02:13 PM by vee-lover

cause for millions/mega church considering he could've made money even back then if money is what allowed him to be bought out

King was a deeply principled man

Let's remember King was destined to be the president of Morehouse Following in the footsteps of his mentor Benjamin E Mays and he gave up that dream to lead the civil rights movement

He also gave every single dollar back to the movement that he got as a result of winning the Nobel peace prize

Malcolm X, on the other hand, is another story - James Baldwin said he witnessed w/his own two eyes accept money from the leader of a race-hate group in the name of "we're both in agreement w/separation so he's contributing to the cause"

I don't think he would be like Jesse or Al but I could see him trying to work within the system as opposed to leading some grassroots movement.

And I'm not so sure that what I said I believed Malcolm would do had he lived today would actually be considered "being bought off." Perhaps it's just adapting to other ways to address the social problems from within...

> into question. Capitalism's other great achievement is
>turning our participation in the system into microagressions
>that barely represent as furthering the machine.
>
>We all deplore sweatshops but buy nikes and apple products.
>
>We deplore social inequality but shop at Wal-mart.
>
>Even the most granola okayplayer of us can't help but
>contribute to the system unless we are living in the woods
>like the unabomber.
>
>Even on the higher level no one would approach MLK and say
>here is 100M, please betray your people.
>
>It won't necessarily look like a betrayal at all. It will be
>speaking out about social inequality, but for 100K speaker
>fees and doing the talk show circuit. It's doing a talk show
>on MSNBC.
>
>The System co-opts the dissenting voice into a well paid gig
>and a permanent feature of the System. And outlet that doesn't
>really do harm or change the system.
>
>
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>"One of the most important things in life is what Judge
>Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to
>whether you're r

grassrootsphilosopher

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5627 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 01:26 AM

28. "no"
In response to Reply # 2

anyone who knows anything about Malcolm X knows he was one of the most committed people....ever....maya angelou even asked him to stay in Africa so he could live longer and he said no, knowing hed probably be killed

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 12:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "If they were gotten to early enough they probably could have been"
In response to Reply # 0

But both of them got to a point where they were open criticizing capitalism. When you're doing that, I don't think you can go back. I see them both as men of integrity who wouldn't be able to go back on what they'd said publicly.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 12:40 PM

5. "martin gave every dime he earned to the movement"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont think he could have been bought

malcolm...too far out...he'd never be bought

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 12:49 PM

7. "My point is that it wasn't alot of dime at stake. "
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Feb-09-15 12:59 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

What if Billions was at stake?

See what his own flesh and blood are doing over a few sheckles these days?

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 02:15 PM

11. "A. Philip Randolph turned down a million dollars from the Pullman Compan..."
In response to Reply # 0

They wanted to break his organization of the (successful) unionization of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters. He declined and was able to secure rights and protections for the Blacks working on the trains.

Money has been around fooorrrreeeeevvvveeerrrr, as has opportunity to be corrupted.

Martin organized the March on Washington with Randolph, who was on the stage with him. In fact the threat of a March on Washington is something Randolph developed and used to push through Executive Orders to desegregate the military and government/public service position to create a ton of jobs for Black folks.

Malcolm was part of the NOI and was the main figure of their brand behind THEM. It would stand to reason that had he been corruptable he would have had immense opportunities to fall in line and not rock the boat and therefore rock him money, or his life. I think it is evident where his and King's integrity lied as they thoroughly practiced what they preached on the point of Civil Rights. They weren't perfect but they were personally flawed, and didn't allow those flaws to bring down the movement.

That's why these guys are heroes, because they DID get faced with the temptations and decided to keep pushing forward.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 02:31 PM

15. "Good points. Well appreciated. "
In response to Reply # 11

Again I don't think the being bought would take the form of "Here is a million dollar to betray your cause".

It would probably take the form of "Here is the presidency of Morehouse college". To hear MLK turned that down definitely supports your point.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 02:24 PM

12. "They were 39 when they were assassinated "
In response to Reply # 0

No

They had plenty of opportunities before and both were seen as becoming increasingly dangerous. (Malcolm outside of the NOI) and Martin challenging the war in Vietnam/ poor peoples campaign.

Research please.

In fact there is audio of agents trying to buy off Malcolm and he plays them oh so sickly.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 02:28 PM

13. "everyone can be bought"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 02:41 PM

17. "Like Dave Chappelle? "
In response to Reply # 13

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 03:02 PM

19. "Dave did a couple of seasons before he walked so if he wasn't bought"
In response to Reply # 17

he was rented

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 03:20 PM

20. "Well I think he was doing it his way at the beginning, when they "
In response to Reply # 19

wanted him to do it their way he left.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 12:37 AM

27. "he signed the check"
In response to Reply # 17

and he had to basically hide from the public eye to get away from it.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 08:14 AM

30. "But did he follow through?"
In response to Reply # 27

My point is he may have signed the check, but at the end of the day he didn't produce the services that were assumed to have been purchased. I'd argue that he was not successfully bought.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 02:33 PM

16. "If they could have been bought they wouldn't have been shot "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-09-15 02:34 PM by Atillah Moor

Louis and Jesse on the other hand...

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 03:32 PM

21. "good point. "
In response to Reply # 16

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 04:18 PM

22. "Bobby Seale is still alive"
In response to Reply # 0

the opening post made me think of a recent conversation

IRT the recent movements and leadership

a friend of mine retorted to the name Bobby Seale

'yeah, somebody got to that brother'

to answer your question

I'd say yes to Martin

and no to Malcolm

but I get your sentiment

and to speak to the underlying meaning of my friend's reply

is that you may think you are the downest dude living

the baddest MFer alive and would never compromise

but every movement was infiltrated by agents

and I'm sure at one moment or another, once militants turned informants thought at some point in time that they were baddest mfer alive too...

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 04:36 PM

25. "I read Elaine Brown's bio a while ago. She said that ninja was a clown."
In response to Reply # 22
Mon Feb-09-15 04:46 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

At least that's what I remember from the book. Its been a while so I might be mistaken.

I think the Panthers are interesting because towards the end they were hanging out with Hollywood celebrity types doing drugs and partying. In a way pal'ing around with money is the beginning of the wheels falling off.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79559 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 04:26 PM

23. "FUCK NO... they died for a reason. "
In response to Reply # 0

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 04:36 PM

24. "realistically? no. but hypothetically martin moreso than malcolm"
In response to Reply # 0

megachurch and evangelism is red hot right now.
his christian kumbaya brand would lend itself well to MLKTV and WMLK
he's be richer than oprah. bigger than obama.

we don't have to look too far to see how it pans out
just ask yourself how al sharpton and jesse jackson really make a living?

i don't even knock them. well sharpton a bit...lol

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 12:34 AM

26. "are you saying like Jackson,Sharpton and Farrikhan??"
In response to Reply # 0

in that context naw.

however to travel and be heard you have to have that sponsorship, it just depends on how you speak on it

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 08:04 AM

29. "If they could've been bought, they wouldn't have been killed"
In response to Reply # 0

And even if they'd still be killed, it wouldn't have been in the "make an example out of them" style they met their demise with.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Lobby General Discussion topic #12722083 Previous topic | Next topic