Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12721484

Subject: "RIP Dean Smith" Previous topic | Next topic
SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 09:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP Dean Smith"
Sun Feb-08-15 09:35 AM by SooperEgo

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12296176/dean-smith-former-north-carolina-tar-heels-coach-dies-age-83

Dean Smith, who coached North Carolina to two men's basketball national titles, died Saturday night at the age of 83.

The school said in a statement Sunday from Smith's family that the Hall of Fame coach died at his home Saturday night. He was with his wife and five children.

"We are grateful for all the thoughts and prayers, and appreciate the continued respect for our privacy as arrangements are made available to the public. Thank you," Smith's family said in the statement.

Smith had health issues in recent years, with the family saying in 2010 he had a condition that was causing him to lose memory.

Smith coached the Tar Heels from 1961 to 1997, going 879-254 and retiring as the winningest coach in college basketball history. North Carolina won NCAA championships in 1982 and 1993 and reached the Final Four 11 times under Smith.

"We lost one of our greatest ambassadors for college basketball for the way in which a program should be run," said current Tar Heels coach Roy Williams, who worked as an assistant under Smith. "We lost a man of the highest integrity who did so many things off the court to help make the world a better place to live in.

"He set the standard for loyalty and concern for every one of his players, not just the games won or lost."

Smith coached Hall of Fame players Michael Jordan and James Worthy, won 13 Atlantic Coast Conference tournament titles and coached the U.S. Olympic team to the gold medal in 1976.

"He was the greatest there ever was on the court but far, far better off the court with people," Williams said. "His concern for people will be the legacy I will remember most.

"He was a mentor to so many people; he was my mentor. He gave me a chance but, more importantly, he shared with me his knowledge, which is the greatest gift you can give someone."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Much respect
Feb 08th 2015
r.i.p tarheel!
Feb 08th 2015
One of the greats
Feb 08th 2015
Wow... RIP
Feb 08th 2015
RIP to one of the absolute greats
Feb 08th 2015
RIP Dean Smith aka Ol' Nickel Nose
Feb 08th 2015

kevb
Charter member
16580 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 10:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Much respect"
In response to Reply # 0

Kev

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 10:56 AM

2. "r.i.p tarheel!"
In response to Reply # 0

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 11:01 AM

3. "One of the greats"
In response to Reply # 0

RIP

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

CRATEWORM
Charter member
1568 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 11:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Wow... RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10135 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 12:00 PM

5. "RIP to one of the absolute greats"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-08-15 12:01 PM by mikediggz

as a lifelong duke fan and native of the area, Dean was our nemisis and quite a formidable opponent in the greatest rivalry in college basketball. salute to a giant.

kingjerm78
Member since Jul 05th 2007
24725 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 03:50 PM

6. " RIP Dean Smith aka Ol' Nickel Nose"
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------------------

one half of the most dynamic tag team on the net...nappyafro's FROCAST!

http://www.frocast.com
www.nappyafro.com
store.nappyafro.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #12721484 Previous topic | Next topic