Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12721194

Subject: "The Roots Jam 2015 - Thursday Feb 5,2015 (some video)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 09:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Roots Jam 2015 - Thursday Feb 5,2015 (some video)"
Fri Feb-06-15 09:57 PM by handle

Queen Latifah U.N.I.T.Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2c0E_6NAZ4

Jamie Foxx and Black Thought /Kool and The Gang Summer Madness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ySLrB6sDM

Kool and The Gang Hollywood Swinging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSTB1ANV4SM

Kool and The Gang Funky Stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DysBHXjP3U

Freestyle while changing instruments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htBSoBPJVMc

Don't Front audible (Silent Treatment re-mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buLUtCMrPmg

Game Theory Snippet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC_jHcAnXEs

Express Yourself (Snippet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK3Kz4JiyfY

The Zog Expresses himself (Snippet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWoCCLkOcRM

Phone left on in pocket 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjr8-CGco8U

Phone in pocket part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Ugxb2qf2M

(Sometimes Youtube says it's in 1080P but it looks bad, just reselect 1080p and it'll clear up)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I went on Monday, I wish I knew who was video taping it all
Feb 06th 2015
pretty sure it was all OKP TV and Beats
Feb 07th 2015
Hit up all my contacts for these - couldn't get in :(
Feb 06th 2015
Latifah...gatdamn, I want a full version of this with the ROOTS
Feb 07th 2015
actually "Don't Front"
Feb 07th 2015
that verse was from "i got a way w/ words"
Feb 07th 2015
I thought it was J.Lo
Feb 08th 2015
The day was kind of a blur (I should get a blog)
Feb 08th 2015
      RE: The day was kind of a blur (I should get a blog)
Feb 09th 2015
Up
Feb 09th 2015

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 11:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I went on Monday, I wish I knew who was video taping it all"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 02:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "pretty sure it was all OKP TV and Beats"
In response to Reply # 1

Hopefully we'll see more of it released in the coming weeks.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 11:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Hit up all my contacts for these - couldn't get in :("
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 02:25 AM

3. "Latifah...gatdamn, I want a full version of this with the ROOTS"
In response to Reply # 0

that shit was tough!!!

------------------
One Hundred.

Member since Mar 01st 2005
9915 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 04:30 PM

5. "actually "Don't Front""
In response to Reply # 0

was "I Wanna Be Down"

Brandy punk ass got cold feet last minute.

the amount of talent in that room and friggin everyone scared to perform without bells and whistles.

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 07:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "that verse was from "i got a way w/ words""
In response to Reply # 5

not silent treatment remix, no?

(is "i got a way with words" the correct name?)

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayerâ„¢

seandammit
6522 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 01:23 AM

7. "I thought it was J.Lo"
In response to Reply # 5

Not necessarily because of the music (didn't recognize), but because I saw her near the stage shortly before that happened.

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Sun Feb-08-15 01:25 PM

8. "The day was kind of a blur (I should get a blog)"
In response to Reply # 5

The day recap:
I left San Diego at 9:45 with my friend Sean T. Go to Universal Studios around 12:15. Sean K (that's seandammit) and Jen met us at The Raiders Store at City Walk.

We figured we'd check in/grab tickets for Fallon and then head back up and take a bunch of photos of us wearing Raiders gear and maybe make a viral video of it and go back downstairs closer to show time. But turns out once we got tickets that we'd have to wait in a holding area until the show started. (Next time we'll make a video - I promise. Imagine me wearing a series of funny hats + all of us doing exagerrated touchdown dances inside of the shop at the mall.)

Then they split us up becuase there were not 4 tickets together at that point.

Three hours of waiting - three hours with nothing but Marco Rubio size Arrowhead bottles of water and Star Tours toilets --and nothing to do except listen to the the pages tell us how seats work, and watch as the construction workers walked up/down a hill with full/empty coolers of lunch food.

I'm sure the person I'm emailing about the guest list for the jam loved how many times I sent messages asking "are we on the list?" I bet she thinks I'm a charmer. Hey, I had three hours of nothing to do except email/text while waiting a white tent in the basement of the Curious George parking structure. And I stood the entire time - why? I don't know why.

Once they load us up we drive down to the studio in one of those trams - and the trams are playing those awful tram videos. We get to the studio and line up and wait another 30 minutes - but they had "real" bathrooms. So it's a wash.

They let us in and our seats (Sean T and me) are, well, perfect. I'm sitting on the inside seat right where camera that Jimmy speaks to for the monolog is. Could not ask for better seats.

Seth Herzog comes out and does the audience warmup - and then The Roots come out and play a bit. And then Seth leads audience participation games. I think I spoke with him way too much - but I did win a pillow and some drum sticks so I'd do it agin in a heartbeat.

I also see Keith and he stops by for a moment and says hi.

The show was fast - Jimmy only flubbed a single joke once. The 45 minutes of show were filmed in 65 minutes - really tight. The only slow part was Jack White's stage set-up - we thought it was going slow because Jack White wasn't there. But it turns out he was there - instead of a pasty looking adolescent wearing a hat for cult members he's now a good looking rockabilly guy who may even go out when the sun is still up.

?uest and Kirk came by and said hi on the way from the stage to backstage.

After the show we ended up waiting for another 20 minutes until we're let go to the trams. (Depends on where you sat how long you had to wait.)

After the show we at at some place called Salsa Bar (3791 Cahuenga Boulevard ,Studio City CA 91604) then go to Amoeba and buy nothing.

Got an email that said "yes, you are on the list." Very happy.

We posted up at the Hotel Cafe at 8:45pm. Sean K. and Jen show up at 9:00pm. Then a long line starts behind us - and a long line also starts in front of us.

I saw no one famous with these three exceptions: Morgan Murphy, Steve Mandel, and Kenny Lucas. (Well - it's not Kenny Lucas at all - but at that point I'm just a tired old white guy mistaking a black dude with baseball cap worn bill up, some glasses, and a plaid shirt for Kenny Lucas.)

Sean T sees Aisha Tyler. I don't.

We get in with zero problems - again perfect.

So I do what I always do at concerts - I post up way up front in an area that no one is going to get in front of me and I stay right there. i know there are celebs in the audience but i don't really care. I haven't seen The Roots play in like 4 years -I'm there for the show.

So I saw no one. My guess is that if you asked the RZA, or J. Lo, or Brandy, or Craig Robinson if they saw me they'd say "yeah - that dude was blocking our view." But I never see anyone. (Well don't ask them if they saw me, ask them if they saw a fat guy in business casual attir right at the front.)

Another hour waiting (no seats) and my 44 old feet and getting angry at me. But when the show starts I figure it'll be okay.

I can't remember the exact details - Seth Herzog does Wonder Woman and some banter, Zoey Kravitz as Lolawolf. Meek Mill. Nick Jonas. LaCrae. Queen Latifah. Jamie Foxx doesn't want to perform while waiting for Kool and the Gang but does anyway. A few others I don't remember , like who was the female with Kool and The Gang, and also let me apologize from mad-dogging the girl's breasts who sang Zombie - that was because I was tired and was looking for pillows - not trying to objectify her.

Black Thought is making the other rappers look like mere humans. Meek Mill had the non-Thought stand out verse of the night (which I didn't tape) but it here: http://realtalkny.uproxx.com/2015/02/topic/topic/videos/video-meek-mill-performs-roots-jam-session/

And by that point I didn't recognize a Brandy remix from 1994

I think the guitar part Kirk was playing + the "Don't Front" got me thinking that it was some Silent Treatment remix we'd never heard. (I think the bass parts sound like Kelo's remix + the Don't Front parts are like Da Beatminerz remix.)

Brandy AND Queen Latifah both stayed away? Disappointing. (I don't recognize the verses, even now.)

So it's 1:30am, we still have to drive back to San Diego, and then they introduce Bilal. I'm sorry we had to leave - I was so tired that listening to Bilal might have killed me at the moment. He'd have been great at 11:15 - but at 1:30am I might die. It's like being in a Tower Records at 11:57pm and they put on the most experimental Jazz Butcher record.

Wish I could have stayed and said hi to everyone - but work beckoned. Made it back to San Diego and was in bed at 4:00am. Got to work at 9:15am.

seandammit
6522 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 09:26 PM

10. "RE: The day was kind of a blur (I should get a blog)"
In response to Reply # 8

J.Lo was mere feet behind you! But really, who cares about celebs, the music was where it was at, and it was a good time (we left a little early too because the lot we parked in closed at 2). Great fucking week, good meeting you, sir.

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 05:58 PM

9. "Up"
In response to Reply # 0

Up

Lobby General Discussion topic #12721194 Previous topic | Next topic