Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12719940

Subject: "Is The Bronx officially New York's dumbest borough?" Previous topic | Next topic
atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 05:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is The Bronx officially New York's dumbest borough?"

http://www.missinfo.tv/index.php/bronx-public-defenders-in-hot-water-after-appearing-in-uncle-murda-video/

A pair of Bronx defenders, Kumar Rao and Ryan Napoli, found themselves fighting for their jobs after appearing in Uncle Murda’s “Hands Up” video. According to the Village Voice “at least one attorney who appeared in a controversial rap video has resigned from his position with the Bronx Defenders, a legal nonprofit that represents indigent clients in New York City.”

“Kumar Rao submitted a letter of resignation this afternoon, according to his attorney. Meanwhile, NY1 reporter Dean Meminger has reported on Twitter that another attorney who was involved with and appeared in the video, Ryan Napoli, likewise resigned from the group. NY1 also reports that the organization’s executive director, Robin Steinberg, has been suspended for 60 days without pay.”

The Village Voice Writes:

These attorneys have abysmally failed to meet their obligations to their clients,” Peters said in a press release, “to the courts, and to the city as a whole.”

On their website and in their responses contained in the report, the Bronx Defenders said they didn’t know about the content of the song before they agreed to participate. A statement on their website read, “The Bronx Defenders abhors the use of violence against the police under any circumstance. We have always been an organization that is committed to preserving life, dignity, and respect for all people. The Bronx Defenders never approved the music video ‘Hands Up,’ and never saw it before it went online. We deeply regret any involvement with this video.”

Rao’s letter, addressed to Steinberg, explains that he is “heartbroken” to leave the nonprofit after six and a half years, but that he had “concluded that my ongoing employment with the office is no longer in the best interest of the organization.” Another Bronx-based public defender who has worked with Rao in the past told the Voice his loss would be a blow to the organization. A media representative at Bronx Defenders did not immediately return calls for comment.

The organization, which receives city funds to provide constitutionally mandated legal representation to those who can’t afford it — essentially acting as a public defender’s office would — has been under fire over the last week after a city report found that the group allowed its facilities and personnel to be used in a music video for a track called “Hands Up (Eric Garner Tribute).” The video, which was partially shot in the Bronx Defenders’ offices and which portrays Rao consoling a sobbing client, features rappers Uncle Murda and Maino holding guns to the head of a police officer. The Department of Investigation determined that the organization failed to properly vet the content of the song, a protest anthem that suggests killing police officers in response to the high-profile deaths of Mike Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, and Sean Bell in New York.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i dunno man. have you been to Staten Island?
Feb 05th 2015
SMH
Feb 05th 2015
I see how they couldda got caught
Feb 05th 2015
Uncle Murda. He goes by Uncle Murda
Feb 05th 2015
thus my query about the Bronx
Feb 05th 2015
That name alone should've told them....
Feb 05th 2015
Uncle Murda still doing the Pawn Rite commercials?
Feb 05th 2015
What do public attorneys who probably aren't from the Bronx
Feb 05th 2015
transplants dont move to the Bronx.
Feb 06th 2015
      Lol this is like thinking the guys who play at Yankee
Feb 06th 2015
      please stop ruining fun. you compared an athlete to a public defender
Feb 06th 2015
      Jeter don't live on no Concourse...he stay in Co-op City...
Feb 06th 2015
      Riverdale would like a word with ya
Feb 06th 2015
           Archie and Jughead stand up
Feb 06th 2015
I guess I'm dumb, cause I'm from the Bronx and wish they said fuck it
Feb 05th 2015
im no Rhodes scholar but Im sure this falls under fraternizing
Feb 06th 2015
Kind of mars the work Bronx Defenders tries to do as far as keeping
Feb 06th 2015
      but...
Feb 06th 2015
Yo, shut up.
Feb 06th 2015
There's obviously something wrong with the way it's being run.
Feb 06th 2015
^^Stephen A. Smith^^
Feb 06th 2015

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5461 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 05:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i dunno man. have you been to Staten Island?"
In response to Reply # 0

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42755 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 05:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "SMH"
In response to Reply # 0

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 05:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I see how they couldda got caught"
In response to Reply # 0

since they are fighting the good fight as public defenders, someone inviting them to a video thats a Garner tribute doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Those other scenes were spliced in probably after the fact

Chanson
Member since Nov 09th 2004
15000 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 06:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Uncle Murda. He goes by Uncle Murda"
In response to Reply # 0

What did they think would happen?

mind
--------
matter

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 06:47 PM

5. "thus my query about the Bronx"
In response to Reply # 4

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 10:04 PM

9. "That name alone should've told them...."
In response to Reply # 4

...agreeing to appear in the vid would be a bad move. I wouldn't want them representing me in court if their judgment is THAT bad. Ol' 'we didn't know MC KopKilla was going to have messages about shooting cops in his video when we agreed to be in it' type niggas.

Since 1976

Actuals
Member since May 15th 2009
434 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 08:34 PM

6. "Uncle Murda still doing the Pawn Rite commercials?"
In response to Reply # 0

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 09:49 PM

7. "What do public attorneys who probably aren't from the Bronx "
In response to Reply # 0

Have to do with the Bronx?

Nobody who grew up in the Bronx ever got anywhere by associating with characters named uncle murda.

It's a stupid outsider move.

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 01:22 AM

10. "transplants dont move to the Bronx."
In response to Reply # 7

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 01:34 AM

12. "Lol this is like thinking the guys who play at Yankee "
In response to Reply # 10

Stadium around the corner live in the Bronx.

You probably think Derek Jeter has a penthouse on the grand concourse.

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 01:58 AM

13. "please stop ruining fun. you compared an athlete to a public defender"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri Feb-06-15 01:58 AM by atruhead

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 08:13 AM

16. "Jeter don't live on no Concourse...he stay in Co-op City..."
In response to Reply # 12

Prolly on one of the higher floors

Definitely in section 5, so he can get to the mall easily

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 09:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Riverdale would like a word with ya"
In response to Reply # 10

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 10:42 AM

21. "Archie and Jughead stand up"
In response to Reply # 19

Aka 'riverdale don't count'

You might as well say you live in westchester county

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 09:59 PM

8. "I guess I'm dumb, cause I'm from the Bronx and wish they said fuck it"
In response to Reply # 0

No cop actually gets shot in the video. I may have missed the line where either one of them explicitly says go shoot some cops as an instruction (maybe something along the lines of I feel like i gotta protect myself from them). The opening is full of clips of real shit that's actually happening, while the controversey is an imagined basically still image of something that doesn't happen.

Yeah I get why they pressuring these lawyers and perhaps actors would have been better than actual defenders, but they are in no way condoning violence against cops via heir actions in the video and honestly I'd rather they defend the first ammendment rights of the artists for that controversial image.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 01:25 AM

11. "im no Rhodes scholar but Im sure this falls under fraternizing"
In response to Reply # 8

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42755 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 08:51 AM

17. "Kind of mars the work Bronx Defenders tries to do as far as keeping"
In response to Reply # 8

people out of jail

Nobody cares if Uncle Murda goes to jail

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 10:08 AM

20. "but..."
In response to Reply # 17

argh

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Niq96st
Member since Jun 16th 2005
8396 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 02:02 AM

14. "Yo, shut up."
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks.

Bruce Belafonte
Member since Jan 14th 2008
31999 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 02:57 AM

15. "There's obviously something wrong with the way it's being run."
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/5o37GORoKUQ

#htpw

Benji
Member since Jun 11th 2014
140 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 08:56 AM

18. "^^Stephen A. Smith^^"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12719940 Previous topic | Next topic