Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12716721

Subject: "Parents: Your kids first direct exposure to racism. WWYD." Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 09:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Parents: Your kids first direct exposure to racism. WWYD."

I have a friend from school who after graduating from college immediately bounced to Thailand. While there she a meet a Cambodian cat and they ended up making a baby. Fast forward a few years later and shes back in the states living her life.

So imagine a big brown eyed, brown skinned, brown haired girl. Lets call her Jasmine. Since day one Jasmine has always been a rough and tumble tomboy princess. She loves to play in the dirt while being dressed as a princess. She is a cute wild animal person.

So, about two weeks ago her mother posted on FB the following interaction with Jasmine:

This afternoon, as I was putting Jasmine's hair up for ballet class, she looked in the mirror and said "but I can never be beautiful".
I asked her why she would think that and she shook her head sadly and said "I just can't. My skin is too dark"
... I finally asked her, "Did someone say that to you?"
She nodded, yes and told me the name of a girl who went to preschool with her this fall.
A new girl, an older girl, who had caused a massive amount of friction between three 3-4 y.o. friends who were way too young to be expected to "work things out".

As a parent how to you begin to even address something like that? I wonder if its possible to pull a seed like that out of a persons head once its planted.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
your friends are stupid, honey.
Feb 03rd 2015
RE: your friends are stupid, honey.
Feb 03rd 2015
fuck dem kids....
Feb 03rd 2015
that's why you are cool!
Feb 03rd 2015
lol my daughter would have told her to get the fuck outta there
Feb 03rd 2015

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 09:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "your friends are stupid, honey."
In response to Reply # 0

look at me, arent i handsome?
look at your mother, isnt she pretty?

so of course you can be beautiful, being dark doesnt mean you cant be or arent pretty. next time your friend says that, tell her shes stupid, then hit your nae nae on her ass

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing? - Corey
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Tiggerific
Member since May 24th 2007
13451 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 11:24 AM

3. "RE: your friends are stupid, honey."
In response to Reply # 1

LOL!!!! YAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!!!

I make sure that my daughter knows that she's beautiful so if anyone should tell her that bs, she will course correct their butt real quick!!!!

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents" - Bob Ross

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

http://bjsquirrelchronicles.blogspot.com

bonitaapplebaum71481
Member since Aug 04th 2003
22576 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "fuck dem kids...."
In response to Reply # 0

you're amazing, handsome, smart, and talented and anyone telling you less than is an idiot.

ignore them and keep shining

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 12:23 PM

4. "that's why you are cool!"
In response to Reply # 2

lol

www.anthologyfmn.com

Enter the Written World of Fahim Malik Nassar

The House of Caine (available)

Melancholoy Funk (available)

Tha Anthology (Words 2001-2003) Poetry inspired by OKP and Wash, DC
(available)

The Spook who sat by the Radio Poetry (av

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44828 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 01:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "lol my daughter would have told her to get the fuck outta there "
In response to Reply # 0

The answer: You prepare your kids ahead of time.

Ask my daughter what she thinks of her skin, and she'll say: I love my beautiful brown skin! She'll say the same thing about her hair. We affirm that in her because we know good and well there are still plenty of people who will do all they can to tear her down.

If you/me/him/her are not reaffirming our children's beauty, value, brilliance, etc from jump, we're fucking up. ***there's a caveat to also establishing humility alongside that confidence so as not to raise a self centered, arrogant monster, but I digress.

The point is you deal with this with an ounce of prevention every day beginning the day they they're born so you only need a few drops of cure when the time comes, because it WILL come.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12716721 Previous topic | Next topic