Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12713317

Subject: "W.Kamau Bell and racism at a Berkeley Cafe (long swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Mudbone
Charter member
461 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 08:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"W.Kamau Bell and racism at a Berkeley Cafe (long swipe)"

Well I'm hoping something positive comes out of a public conversation about the incident, but got damn, this is 2015 and we still need to have a conversation about race. Well, we need to actually to have the honest discussion no matter how messy it may get, instead of continually talking about starting a conversation about it.

http://wkamaubell.com/2015/01/happy-birthday-have-some-racism-from-elmwood-cafe/

UPDATE: My wife & I just talked to Michael Pearce, the owner of Elmwood Cafe & we’ve decided to have a public conversation about this. Details soon.

Me & my wife are not calling for anyone to be fired, not asking for a boycott. We are going to have a public conversation. #SoYouCanComeToo

Dear Elmwood Cafe
2900 College Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94705

Not appropriate for Elmwood CafeYou don’t know me. I know that for sure now. It’s not that I would expect you to know me, although many people in the Bay Area do, because of the work I’ve done as a stand-up comedian locally and on television. I’m known for something that The New Yorker called “intersectional progressivism.” That basically means I use jokes to fight for the people who don’t get a fair shake in the world. For the last several years, I have tried to learn as much as I can about oppression in all forms so that I can help make the world slightly more bearable with a few jokes. But that’s just my career.

In my life, I am a person who loves The Bay Area. LOVE IT! I lived in San Francisco for 13 years and in Oakland for two. And even though I lived in SF mostly, I spent A LOT of time in The East Bay. I have done my own headlining shows at The New Parish, La Pena, The East Bay JCC, and Marga Gomez’s comedy nights at The Marsh. I love these audiences. The Bay Area is a place where all sorts of different people live together, explore new ideas and strive to uphold the idea made famous by children singer Raffi, “The more we get together the happier we’ll be!”

To be honest though, my most fervent love is for Oakland. Which is why I was so excited recently when the people at Oaklandish gave me a hoodie. They just GAVE IT TO ME! I was walking past their pop-up shop at The Oakland Airport and one of their employees saw me, recognized me (I told you that people around here know me), and she awesomely and very generously gave me a hoodie. I love it. I wear it a lot. I was wearing it this past Monday, January 26, when I went to the Elmwood Cafe.

It was my birthday. My wife, Melissa, wanted to take me out for a birthday breakfast after we had dropped our three and a half year old daughter, Sami, at school down the street. Melissa picked the Elmwood Cafe. She loves you. She loved you back when you were the old school soda fountain, Ozzie’s. And she loves you more now that you have been turned into a beautiful all day brunch spot. Melissa is a sucker for runny eggs, scones, and lemon curd. I blame Downton Abbey.

So yes, we had breakfast there. But I know you don’t remember that, Elmwood Cafe. I know you don’t remember that because later that same day my wife went back to eat lunch with some new friends of hers. (I told you that she loves you. TWICE IN ONE DAY!) These are new friends because, after two years in New York City, we moved back to the Bay Area last summer. My wife was pregnant and we wanted to have our second daughter back home. Our daughter, Juno, is now 13 weeks old. (I know. It’s crazy that her name is Juno considering that storm back east.) My wife’s new friends are all moms with new babies. When I heard that she had gone back to the Elmwood Cafe, I was happy she would get to have more of your food and ambiance. I was happy that you made her happy.

While she was eating with her new friends, I was down the street at Espresso Roma Cafe working on my Macbook Air. I suppose I could have stayed at the Elmwood Cafe and worked after breakfast, but you are relatively small establishment and I didn’t want to take up a table. When I was done working I walked back down College Avenue to rejoin her and meet her new friends. I was just carrying my laptop with no bag because I knew I wouldn’t be out for long. On my way back I stopped at Mrs. Dalloway’s, the bookstore, and I bought a children’s book about the Lovings, the couple who went to the Supreme Court and successfully argued for the striking down of laws that banned interracial marriage in 17 states. This is relevant to me because I’m black and my wife is white. That part I know that you know. Because of the series of events that followed me buying this book. They are as follows:

1. After buying the book and deciding not to get a bag for the book, I walk to the Elmwood Cafe.

2. I see my wife and her new mom friends all happily chatting and holding their babies while sitting at an outside table. It struck me how well my wife fit in with these new friends. (And not just because they were all white… although I think that may have made a difference to you.)

3. I walk over to them. My wife introduces me to them.

4. One of them asks about the book I am holding.

5. I show her the book.

6. Seconds later there is a loud series of knocks on the window of the Elmwood Cafe. They are coming from the inside of the restaurant.

7. I look up and see one of your employees staring daggers at me.

8. The employee then jerks her head to her left aggressively and I see her mouth say something to the effect of…

9. “SCRAM!”

Seriously. That is what happened. OK. Maybe it wasn’t exactly, “SCRAM!” Maybe it was, “GIT!” Or maybe it was, “GO!” Whatever it was, it was certainly directed at me. And it was certainly the kind of direction you should only give to a dog… a dog that you, yourself, own.

Or maybe you could yell that at a dog that you don’t own, but a dog that you are afraid is going to attack a group of moms and their babies.

I was stunned. Caught totally flatfooted. My wife saw the look on my face. Later she told me that what I heard was in fact the second round of knocks on the window. My wife apparently thought it was a person who recognized me from my work who was excited to see me. (Look, Elmwood Cafe, I know you don’t know who I am but it does actually happen sometimes that people who know my work are excited to see me.) But when my wife saw the hurt expression on my face, she knew it wasn’t a fan. It was… something really shitty happening to her husband at her (soon to be formerly) favorite breakfast spot.

I told her (which meant I had to awkwardly tell these other women I just met) what just happened. I wanted to run away. I was actually strangely embarrassed, as if I had done something wrong. (Through my reading I have learned that’s one way oppression also works, from the inside.) I felt numb, like I was going to pass out. And then an employee — maybe the same one — walked out of the cafe to once again deliver the “Get out of here!” message. I guess since I was still standing there you figured that I hadn’t heard it the first time. But then your employee hesitated and looked around. And I guess she realized that no one at the table was bothered by my presence. We were in fact only bothered by her presence. We were bothered by the fact that we we currently standing in Berkeley, California, a city so allegedly liberal that even the most progress-y progressives make fun of it, and yet thanks to you, it is where I as a black man was being told to “GIT!” like it was 1963, Selma, Alabama, and I was crashing a meeting of The New Moms of the Confederacy. In that moment, your employee delivered the line that has become an instant classic in our family:

“Oh, we thought you were selling something.”

“We thought you were selling something???”

What the hell was that supposed to mean? You thought I was selling something so you thought you’d tell me to “GIT!” without first walking outside to find exactly what was going on? And is “selling something” enough for you to bark at me through a plate glass window? And is the equivalent of “Oops!” enough to get you off the hook? The answer to the last two questions is, “No.”

At this point Melissa couldn’t take it anymore.

Melissa: “He is my husband.”

Your employee: “I’m sorry.”

Me: “This is my wife. That is my daughter. I just ate here earlier today.”

Your employee, not even looking at me: “I’m sorry.”

Me: “I bet you are.”

Quickly Melissa gathered herself and our daughter and we left. Much sooner than we would have wanted to in a perfect world… or even in just a kind of okay world. Melissa talked to your employee. Melissa explained that although we had eaten there twice that day and even though she loved the Elmwood Cafe that we would not be back after the racism that we had just experienced.

That’s when you employee told my wife, “I don’t think it was a race thing.”

Ummm… actually a black man being told to leave a restaurant because the restaurant believes that his presence is harassing four white women and their kids, even though there is literally no evidence to support that is TEXT BOOK racism. It is so old school it has a wing in the racism museum, right between the sit-ins at lunch counters and a southern redneck telling a black man on a business trip, “You ain’t from around here, are ya, boy?” My wife told your employee in no uncertain terms that we ABSOLUTELY knew it WAS a race thing, because we live with this shit everyday. Full disclosure, I heard about this exchange after it happened when we were headed home. While my wife was talking to your employee, I was cooing at my daughter in the car, for two reasons. 1) I love my daughter’s fat cheeks and big hazel eyes. And 2) I knew if I stood over my wife with my 6’4”, 250lb frame that it could very easily be spun that I was standing over your employee, and maybe that I was trying to intimidate her, or even worse that I was getting aggressive. I didn’t want to end up a hashtag. Again, we live with this shit everyday.

And look I understand that on College Avenue in “Berserkeley” that you might get some characters coming through your establishment that you might not want to serve. And it is your right to refuse service. For example, when we had breakfast that morning, there was a white guy with dreadlocks sitting directly across from your doorway spare change-ing everyone who went into and out of your restaurant. And I could understand if a business thought he was bothering people and if that business had asked him to leave. But he was there the entire time we had breakfast, at least an hour, and I didn’t see anyone tell him to, “SCRAM!” But when I stood amicably talking to my wife for a few minutes, it was a different story.

I think me and that white guy were both even wearing hoodies, so it can’t be how I was dressed. Plus mine was a super cool Oaklandish one. I guess in his hoodie he had a more Mark Zukerberg type of feeling than me.

So Elmwood Cafe, we won’t be back, and that sucks, because my wife really, really liked you. And she’s one of those people who really talks a lot about the things she likes. And I haven’t been impressed with your response to this situation. Your employee’s apology was weak. One of my wife’s new (and hopefully future) friends even tried to talk to someone in the restaurant after we left, and that person apparently still believed I was trying to sell something. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? I promise you I’m not selling my Macbook Air to anyone. I love it too much. And since I had just bought that book about the Loving couple, that’s not going anywhere either. That’s for my daughters.

And later that day I posted a picture of myself in the same clothes to your Facebook fanpage. I suggested that you Google me since you clearly didn’t know who I was. I don’t blame you for not knowing me. But I did hope that maybe you would look me up and discover how ridiculous that whole situation was. And how it was so mishandled by you from start to finish. I thought you might reach out to me. But you haven’t.

Despite everything, I do believe in peoples’ ability to learn new things and in a business’ abilities to conduct better practices. It’s a key component to my intersectional progressivism. But that doesn’t mean you get have to have my family’s patronage as you go about your learning curve. And you definitely don’t deserve my silence. Because I believe if you told me to scram then you have probably done that or something equally dehumanizing (or worse) to another innocent person. And I definitely believe it will happen again if I don’t say something. And as much as it would be “easier” to let it go, if I did that I wouldn’t be fulfilling my duties as a member of the advisory Board of Race Forward, a racial justice organization, and I certainly wouldn’t be living up to my responsibilities as The ACLU’s Racial Justice Ambassador. Yup, thankfully I have little bit of a platform to try and prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Anyway, the waffles were still delicious, but I’ll be down the street at Espresso Roma Cafe from now on. And my wife will have to find runny eggs, scones, and lemon curd elsewhere.

Sincerely,

W. Kamau Bell (And Dr. Melissa Hudson Bell, Ph.D… She co-wrote and cosigns this.)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i wonder what the turnout will be
Jan 29th 2015
There is no conversation
Jan 29th 2015
This is why nonviolent protest is failing us right now.
Jan 30th 2015
im kinda annoyed by the privleged tone of these things
Jan 29th 2015
Macbook AIR, bro
Jan 29th 2015
It's extra composed, but he's a writer first. I get it.
Jan 30th 2015
fuck runny eggs
Jan 30th 2015
Well said Bin
Jan 30th 2015
right on
Jan 30th 2015
add oprah and this guy* to this list
Jan 30th 2015
RE: im kinda annoyed by the privleged tone of these things
Jan 30th 2015
      go for it nm
Jan 30th 2015
something so gotdamb playery about this
Jan 30th 2015
Elmwood cafe and Roma both suck
Jan 30th 2015
^^^^
Jan 30th 2015
Is he still rocking that struggle 'fro?
Jan 30th 2015
he is very unfunny to me...
Jan 30th 2015
      his first two albums are actually funny
Jan 30th 2015
           yeah... his delivery on the show was trash
Jan 30th 2015
Stupid as shit. Waste of a rageblog.
Jan 30th 2015
at home we always clown him for looking bummy
Jan 30th 2015
Yup. Pull your pants up, Kamau!
Jan 30th 2015
This dude really got hurt by this, huh?
Jan 30th 2015
this was definitely a "you don't know who EYE am?" moment
Jan 30th 2015
I like W. Kamau and enjoy his podcast, but this is some bullshit
Jan 30th 2015
His point is what there was a white guy begging for change in there
Jan 30th 2015
to be fair it's hard to look intimidating in one of these though
Jan 30th 2015
LOL
Jan 30th 2015
it's the bay area tho. broke white kids are like the hydra monster
Jan 30th 2015
^^^^skimmed^^^^^ n/m
Jan 30th 2015
Another instance of Kamau being soft. Getting punked by
Jan 30th 2015
YUP. That's the time you bring it up
Jan 30th 2015
thats what irks me
Jan 30th 2015
wow
Jan 30th 2015
meh this shit happens to us all the time in New York
Jan 30th 2015
the historonics mad is cringe worthy, but I knew OKP
Jan 30th 2015
It's a bit long winded and snobby, but I feel his pain
Jan 30th 2015
basically.
Jan 30th 2015
      agreed
Jan 30th 2015
i get it and agree....but cmonnn doggg
Jan 30th 2015
RE: the Lovings, the couple who went to the Supreme Court
Jan 30th 2015
The Cism is weak on this one
Jan 30th 2015
they got to call him a nigger for the racism to register?
Jan 30th 2015
Bummy looking black dude showing books to table of white mommy
Jan 30th 2015
      Ok, he didn't look respectable enough to be respected
Jan 30th 2015
           Sounds like you'd be offended if the lady scooted along an
Jan 30th 2015
                If she barked at them like a dog, yeah
Jan 30th 2015
i feel like in most situations, you'd wait before bangin on the window
Jan 30th 2015
naw its not. hes 100% right. but it happens ALL the time
Jan 30th 2015
he really thinks he is special
Jan 30th 2015
Fuck! I just googled this dude and we have the *exact* same afro
Jan 30th 2015
That was such torture to read. All the extra details and non-sequiturs.....
Jan 30th 2015
the qvc model got a stronger case than this
Jan 30th 2015
speaking of which, im sure hell be on nightly show soon
Jan 30th 2015

Gangsta Mittens
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
15594 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 09:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "i wonder what the turnout will be"
In response to Reply # 0

Part of me wants to go, but i feel like i'd be so very very annoyed by the whole thing.

---

www.gangstamittens.com

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 09:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "There is no conversation"
In response to Reply # 0

What would a "conversation" about race even be? Yes you're second class citizens and yes the laws don't really cover you, yes some of us aren't aggressively racist, but most of us are and are in positions of power in all areas of society. End of conversation.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 05:50 AM

8. "This is why nonviolent protest is failing us right now. "
In response to Reply # 2

It presumes the existence of compassion and shame on the part of the oppressor.

What do you do when the evidence of injustice has piled to the ceiling and nothing even remotely changes?

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 09:24 PM

3. "im kinda annoyed by the privleged tone of these things"
In response to Reply # 0

Same thing when skip gates got accosted

Same thing when chuck blows kid got a gun pulled on him recently

Theres a undercurrent of how dare you?

Dont you know who i am? Im a famous comedian/professor/columnist

Yeah you may do this to other black people and thats wrong but this time it happened to me and im OUTRAGED!!

Dont you know how my macbook pro and my phd white wife is supposed
to isolate me from this?

My point is...your degree wont save you, nigga. Your fame wont. Your money wont. Your woman wont. All the white friends and blog posts wont.

We need each other. All of us. The doctors and the drug dealers. The housewives and the baby mamas. The refined and the ratchet. The classism in the community, that blacks vs niggas thing...its killing us

This blog post should have been like yo, fuck elmwood cafe. They treat people like shit. If your poor or powerless or they think you sre that is. Fuck them.

All this explaining and equivocating and shit. Annoys me.

But whatever. Glad he got his scone on.

does it really matter?

for all my fans who keep my name in their mouth: http://i.imgur.com/v2xNOpS.jpg

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 09:35 PM

4. "Macbook AIR, bro"
In response to Reply # 3

you right tho

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 05:48 AM

7. "It's extra composed, but he's a writer first. I get it."
In response to Reply # 3

The runny eggs part made me mad. Cause I hate runny eggs and they remind me of a brunch date in Harlem years ago that cost me too much for them to quicksilver all over my plate and nauseate me.

#neveragain

And scones? The necco wafer of baked goods?

No, suh.

But yeah, this is about the right level of retaliation for that encounter. Good for Bell.

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 09:31 AM

17. "fuck runny eggs"
In response to Reply # 7

them shits is gross

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 09:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "Well said Bin"
In response to Reply # 3

Crunchy Angry Black People Brigade agrees with you

huh

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "right on"
In response to Reply # 3

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 12:17 PM

34. "add oprah and this guy* to this list"
In response to Reply # 3

but yea it def is news because it's not supposed to happen to *them*

*http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/11/06/i-taught-my-black-kids-that-their-elite-upbringing-would-protect-them-from-discrimination-i-was-wrong/

~~~~~~

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 12:22 PM

35. "RE: im kinda annoyed by the privleged tone of these things"
In response to Reply # 3

>Same thing when skip gates got accosted
>
>Same thing when chuck blows kid got a gun pulled on him
>recently
>
>Theres a undercurrent of how dare you?
>
>Dont you know who i am? Im a famous
>comedian/professor/columnist
>
>Yeah you may do this to other black people and thats wrong but
>this time it happened to me and im OUTRAGED!!
>
>Dont you know how my macbook pro and my phd white wife is
>supposed
> to isolate me from this?
>
>My point is...your degree wont save you, nigga. Your fame
>wont. Your money wont. Your woman wont. All the white friends
>and blog posts wont.
>
>We need each other. All of us. The doctors and the drug
>dealers. The housewives and the baby mamas. The refined and
>the ratchet. The classism in the community, that blacks vs
>niggas thing...its killing us
>
>This blog post should have been like yo, fuck elmwood cafe.
>They treat people like shit. If your poor or powerless or they
>think you sre that is. Fuck them.
>
>All this explaining and equivocating and shit. Annoys me.
>
>But whatever. Glad he got his scone on.
>
>
>does it really matter?

Mind if I post this? This ^^^^^^ is some powerful shit.....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 02:06 PM

47. "go for it nm"
In response to Reply # 35

does it really matter?

SeV
Charter member
50215 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 01:30 AM

5. "something so gotdamb playery about this"
In response to Reply # 0

but im banned tho.

Dallas Cavericks LETS GO!!

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 04:56 AM

6. "Elmwood cafe and Roma both suck"
In response to Reply # 0

And oaklandish is pretty corn

+ white women?

Dude has terrible taste

Sucks that happened, but not surprised at all. Elmwood might as well be the upper east side. Well, more upper west side actually, but extra white

__

fairweather

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 08:28 AM

10. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 6

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 06:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Is he still rocking that struggle 'fro?"
In response to Reply # 0

Anyway, I feel his anger, and I also feel his decision to stand back so that YT wouldn't get scared of his big frame. I still don't really find him funny, but that's beside the point.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79618 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 08:51 AM

11. "he is very unfunny to me..."
In response to Reply # 9
Fri Jan-30-15 08:55 AM by legsdiamond

and I'm not surprised he has a white wife...

I bet she cracks up at all his corny jokes too.

no shade at having a white wife but I feel like if you do, you should expect a few fuck ups by strangers, especially if you look like you are in the struggle and trying to get people to sign up for 5linx

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 08:55 AM

12. "his first two albums are actually funny"
In response to Reply # 11

his show, not so much

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

legsdiamond
79618 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 08:58 AM

13. "yeah... his delivery on the show was trash"
In response to Reply # 12

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 09:24 AM

14. "Stupid as shit. Waste of a rageblog. "
In response to Reply # 0

I run into people daily that do/say really dumb stuff or jump to conclussions.
And I'm fairly good at compartmentalizing my reaction and disdain to the individual. Difficult for me to see where Bell is connecting racism to the entirety of this brunch spot. Employee apologizes for their reaction and/or gets fired (WAY TO FIGHT FOR THE LITTLE GUY, BELL), then all is good?

By the way, sitting in my cubicle office that I drove 30 miles to get to in order to grind out a paycheck in a thankless company surrounded by people and a community that is diametrically opposed to everything I believe in because my wife and I have bills rolling in by what seems to be the hour and she is fighting the good fight to manage a struggling community restaurant by putting in 70 hour weeks in return for a minuscule paycheck, it is really fucking difficult to read this depiction of his family's life as anything but god damn privileged as shit. If the two of us could afford to go out to eat multiple times a day, listlessly spending a weekday strolling the avenue and half-working whenever it is most convenient, I would gladly trade that lifestyle for being confused as a homeless person for a second.

Fufu fucking problems.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 09:25 AM

15. "at home we always clown him for looking bummy"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-30-15 09:40 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

on his show. I can see a bummy looking black dude approaching a table full of white women showing them books could be mistaken for someone selling something.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 09:42 AM

18. "Yup. Pull your pants up, Kamau!"
In response to Reply # 15

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 09:59 AM

19. "This dude really got hurt by this, huh?"
In response to Reply # 0

lol, I would have just did the "go away" hand wave to her, then continued my conversation. The opinion of some random waitress shouldn't inspire this many words.

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

legsdiamond
79618 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:26 AM

21. "this was definitely a "you don't know who EYE am?" moment"
In response to Reply # 19

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5180 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "I like W. Kamau and enjoy his podcast, but this is some bullshit"
In response to Reply # 0

If it was a white dude standing there I'm sure the employee would've done the same shit. Also, if it's that popular of a brunch spot, how many people do you think they see in a day and employees change shifts, so how were they just off the bat supposed to recognize that you were there earlier.

He's feeling himself too much. He's making a mountain out of an ant hill with this one.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:53 AM

25. "His point is what there was a white guy begging for change in there"
In response to Reply # 20

>If it was a white dude standing there I'm sure the employee
>would've done the same shit. Also, if it's that popular of a
>brunch spot, how many people do you think they see in a day
>and employees change shifts, so how were they just off the bat
>supposed to recognize that you were there earlier.

and didn't get called out on it.

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:55 AM

26. "to be fair it's hard to look intimidating in one of these though"
In response to Reply # 25

http://runwaydiy.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/proenza-baja-hoodie-a.jpg

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 02:55 PM

51. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 26

Madvillain 626
10018 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 01:48 PM

45. "it's the bay area tho. broke white kids are like the hydra monster"
In response to Reply # 25

get rid of one, two more pop up

If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 02:08 PM

48. "^^^^skimmed^^^^^ n/m"
In response to Reply # 20

huh

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:36 AM

22. "Another instance of Kamau being soft. Getting punked by"
In response to Reply # 0

the presence of Ray Kelly.

I thought this was a bit extra talking about how he wouldn't have shown up if he knew Ray Kelly was going to be on the panel. Stop being soft and tell that dude off if you got beef with him!

http://news.yahoo.com/video/political-comedian-kamau-bell-don-232412300.html

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:56 AM

27. "YUP. That's the time you bring it up"
In response to Reply # 22

hell, tell him to the face that you're afraid of him because of how police forces have run (particularly under his watch) as tools of systemic racism.

>the presence of Ray Kelly.
>
>I thought this was a bit extra talking about how he wouldn't
>have shown up if he knew Ray Kelly was going to be on the
>panel. Stop being soft and tell that dude off if you got beef
>with him!
>
>http://news.yahoo.com/video/political-comedian-kamau-bell-don-232412300.html
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

SeV
Charter member
50215 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 12:41 PM

38. "thats what irks me"

dude let his wife take the employee to task and went to the car with the baby

wtf

all he had to say to her was 'I bet you are'

thats what he should be feeling embarrassed about

but im banned tho.

Dallas Cavericks LETS GO!!

Madvillain 626
10018 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:41 PM

54. "wow"

he came off like a bitch in this one, for real. lemme get a platform to get at that dude to his FACE? Whew, I'd pay for that, and he talking bout I'd rather be at home? Nigga, your interdimensional progressivism looking weak

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:46 AM

23. "meh this shit happens to us all the time in New York"
In response to Reply # 0

I guess with this guy being a celebrity, and 'known', and all 'Google me, then!', it highlights a common problem in a very specific way

but mistakes happen, and SHOULD be addressed publicly

I'm all about the sharing of the story, but maybe without all the histrionics

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 01:30 PM

41. "the historonics mad is cringe worthy, but I knew OKP "
In response to Reply # 23

would have this reaction

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:58 AM

28. "It's a bit long winded and snobby, but I feel his pain"
In response to Reply # 0

Id be hella pissed too if I was having a convo with my wife and someone angrily knocked on a window from inside the restaurant(WHILE IM OUTSIDE OF THE CAFE!) and told me to get the fuck out.

It would have been a stronger piece without all the histronics, I missed the angry knocking part the first time around with all the 'Do you know who I am???!?' 'My heart was broken!!' extra shit.

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 11:09 AM

31. "basically. "
In response to Reply # 28

he did all that to show that he was far from looking like a book selling street vagrant but still

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 12:42 PM

39. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 31

>he did all that to show that he was far from looking like a
>book selling street vagrant but still

i get the "come on" dude

but fact is its still an unpleasant reality

and we all know these microagressions add up
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 11:02 AM

29. "i get it and agree....but cmonnn doggg"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 11:03 AM

30. "RE: the Lovings, the couple who went to the Supreme Court"
In response to Reply # 0

oh the irony

heart breaking story

I believe they ended up moving around a bunch

just so they could get married

this racism is killing me inside (c)

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 11:16 AM

32. "The Cism is weak on this one"
In response to Reply # 0

Could something like this happen in a Black owned business? Regardless of what his race was? I think it could. If anything the store keepers were rude and could have handled the situation better. Doesn't make them racist...Or at least their actions aren't.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 11:50 AM

33. "they got to call him a nigger for the racism to register? "
In response to Reply # 32

They told barked on him like a dog for no reason but how he looked

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 12:32 PM

36. "Bummy looking black dude showing books to table of white mommy"
In response to Reply # 33

and Mes? It was race base decision making but it could be a non-racist honest mistake.

kevlar skully
6049 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 01:12 PM

40. "Ok, he didn't look respectable enough to be respected"
In response to Reply # 36

And the employees actions were racial not racist.... :/

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49424 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 01:45 PM

43. "Sounds like you'd be offended if the lady scooted along an"
In response to Reply # 40

actual bum or solicitor.

kevlar skully
6049 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 01:54 PM

46. "If she barked at them like a dog, yeah"
In response to Reply # 43

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 01:34 PM

42. "i feel like in most situations, you'd wait before bangin on the window"
Fri Jan-30-15 01:35 PM by hardware

idk how long he was there, but it sounds like he walked up and was there for less than a minute before they got crazy

race aside, i kinda feel like its protocol to absorb the situation.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 02:11 PM

49. "naw its not. hes 100% right. but it happens ALL the time"

and until it happens to the people w/ the platform to raise hell abt it...they dont & ignore it

& then when it happens to them its like WAIT! hold it world! LOOK AT WHAT I GOT TO DEAL with!

dude, motherfuckers get shooed outta there CONSTANTLY because they are trying to pan handle & hustle up some change to live. its happening CONSTANTLY & you prolly did it yourself

if hes got a history of 'yo, stop treating people like they are substandard' great. then he shouldnt be surprised if it happens to him. YOU are in that great unwashed "substandard" mass...your macbook doesnt help. your benz doesnt help. your phd doesnt help. you are us. we are you. you got the pulpit, holler abt it when it happens to anybody because it CAN happen to anybody...not just when it happens...to you

does it really matter?

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 12:34 PM

37. "he really thinks he is special"
In response to Reply # 0

8-bit
Member since Jan 12th 2010
10841 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 01:48 PM

44. "Fuck! I just googled this dude and we have the *exact* same afro"
In response to Reply # 0

Guess I'll be making a "what kinda cut should 8-bit get?" post fairly soon.

---
http://twitter.com/logicalhood
http://instagram.com/hoodlogic

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 02:12 PM

50. "That was such torture to read. All the extra details and non-sequiturs....."
In response to Reply # 0

Name dropping random places for no reason.
I was reading it like "Get to the damn point!!!!"

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
52. "the qvc model got a stronger case than this"
In response to Reply # 0

Weak Tea!

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

gusto
Charter member
26878 posts
Fri Jan-30-15 10:30 PM

53. "speaking of which, im sure hell be on nightly show soon"
In response to Reply # 52

>Weak Tea!

..|.,

If you still don't know what Jade Typhoon is, click here:
http://jadetyphoon.blogspot.com/ (WS)

Lobby General Discussion topic #12713317 Previous topic | Next topic